Hunwick is the new Wideman? Maybe worst

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Re: Hunwick is the new Wideman? Maybe worst

Hundwick +4. You here that haters. NOT S T F U

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

though hunwick made mistakes last night...in the back that cost them a goal.... the differnece between the two is enormous... wideman could not skate, could not skate backwards without falling down and was slow...   hunwick can skate and is in fact probably their best and fastest skating dman....  he needs to be better with the puck and stop making poor decisions...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hunwick is the new Wideman? Maybe worst:
    [QUOTE] I thought Hunwick had a pretty good game tonite, as did most of his team mates. I mean c'mon people, we beat the Capitals 3-1 for crying out loud. Sure he might have pulled a munson on the Caps only goal, but so did Chara. I mean Chara was the best player on the ice by far, but if Thomas didn't bail him out on that gaff in his own end, everyone would be whining about him too. I'm not ready to throw Hunwick under the bus just yet, let's cut him some slack shall we, could be worse, we could be 1 in 3 .
    Posted by Beezfan4life[/QUOTE]
    The difference was that Chara simply fanned on a pass where as Hunwick,under pressure,CHOSE to reverse a puck to an area where there were no Bruins.He could have simply eaten that puck and absorbed the hit behind the net.That said,Hunwick played much better for the rest of the game and as long as Boston wins games I won't be complaining.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Hunwick is the new Wideman? Maybe worst:
    [QUOTE]Holly cow. Tonight he has given up the puck 10 times already. Mistake after mistake in his own end. He maybe worst than Wideman. Can't blame PC since Hunwick was really good in his freshman year. I really would like to bring up Mcquaid , Bartowski or Kampfer instead Horrible
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

What did you think of his goal? Was it worster, do you think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanFromMontreal. Show BruinsFanFromMontreal's posts

I also do not like Hunwick, yes he scored hooray for us, but if not for TT, Hunwick would have been -3.

he's too soft.  supposed to add speed to an already 'slow' Defense, instead he causes most of the turnovers.

He is the new Wideman of the bruins.

Also, Bergeron, the season started.. did anyone tell you?? oh ya  for 5 million dollars, can you win some important faceoffs at least? or put score on an emtpy netter?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]Who would have guessed that most of his hockey talent was contained in his spleen?
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

best post on the thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Hunwicks goal was lucky. He has not looked good for some time now and I agree, time to bring up Bartko and trade Hunny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

[QUOTE]Also, Bergeron, the season started.. did anyone tell you?? oh ya  for 5 million dollars, can you win some important faceoffs at least? or put score on an emtpy netter?
    Posted by BruinsFanFromMontreal[/QUOTE]

I also noticed that Bergy was a non-factor last night but it may be more of a testiment to his linemates than him. This team is so deep that unless you are "stellah" you don't stand out, all ice time being equal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, that was a great win, but Hunwick was awful and there is not any reason not to discuss it.  He turned over a number of pucks in the offensive zone and the defensive zone and appears to have totally lost his confidence.  It would be one thing if it was just these 4 games, but it was all of last year too.  Time to work McQuaid or Bartkowski into to lineup, even if it is only to give Hunwick a break to get his head straight.  He was really bad last night.

If he's such a great skater, why is he getting beat to the outside, one-on-one, by Jason Chimera?

The contrast with Chara was all the more glaring though, for those of you who don't think that was a good signing.  Chara was dominant, probably the best player on the ice.  No points for Ovie, Semin, or Backstrom.  I hope he can do it again on Thursday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

this thread is an insult to Dennis Wideman.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

Hunwick's goal was a weak shot that got through, in other words he got lucky. He's a liability every time he's on the ice, except maybe on the PP. He moves the puck allright on the PP, but I'd still take Wides over him just for the offensive boost. IMO they're pretty much the same defensively.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Wideman doesn't make little mistakes, he gets out of position and allows scoring chances for the other team. If anybody paid attention to the first game against Phoenix you'd see that Wideman was on for at least three of the goals against, with the Vrbata swat in goal having Wideman skating towards Phoenix's defensemen. Hunwick is offensively talented, but he's too shaken to be anything more than a 7th defenseman a la Marc-Andre Bergeron. I think the Bruins need a more stable defenseman like McQuaid or Bartowski. Putting Hunwick with Ference is begging for a disaster, and neither deserves top 4 minutes. Make one a 7th defenseman and put Mcquaid on the 3rd line and Stuart up to the 2nd line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelieveINBoston9. Show BelieveINBoston9's posts

i was screamin the same thing lat game....this guy is our new wideman!!!!......ill give him another week or so but everytime he has the puck behind the net i close my eyes.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In a perfect world Hunwick and Ference would be traded for draft picks and McQuaid and Bartkowski stepping in....and why all the accolades for Wideman? I recall most wanted him run out of town...tarred and feathered.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Yes I am extremely happy with that win last night, but honestly - this guy was pretty brutal to watch. As already mentioned - he was like this much of last year as well. He scored one weak goal - great, but he also cost us a goal and nearly cost more than that.
    I'd like to see someone else get a chance, its called competition for ice time. See which guy is ready to step up and take over a la Boychuck last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

First, to ALL YOU POSTERS who think Wideman is STILL a Bruin, he played his last game for the B's LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!  HE WAS TRADED!!!!!!!!!

Second, to the poster who said this thread was an insult to Wideman, youre right.  Wideman didnt have a great year last season, he is STILL better than Hunwick.

Ive said it before, Hunwick looks lost out there.  I dont know what his problem is, but there is a problem.  His goal was luck, a shot from the back that made its way through.  It wasnt like he did something amazing to score it.  Im not quite ready to write him off, but its getting close.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In a perfect world Hunwick and Ference would be traded for draft picks and McQuaid and Bartkowski stepping in....and why all the accolades for Wideman? I recall most wanted him run out of town...tarred and feathered.
    Posted by saultont[/QUOTE]

Why does Ference always get pulled into this?  Ference is playing fine.  I understand if you don't like the contract, but Ference is a very solid 4-6 defensmen and has looked good to me.  Never understand why people are always down on him (yes, I know he gets paid too much). 

Hunwick on the other hand is awful.  Time to give one of the kids a shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Hunwick is a 6th D man. He has speed and can move the puck on the PP. He's not supposed to be flawless, I don't know one 6th D man that is.

And I love all the "it was a weak shot that got through" people. Uh, guys, it's called a screen. All he has to do it get it on net, maybe the goalie won't see it, maybe you'll get a rebound. Regardless, it was a good play by Hunwick.

Yes, he's going to get bullied in the corners and make turnovers in his own end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone was doing that last night. Don't just blame Hunwick.

And I'm sure we can get a lot by trading him.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And all you "fans" that boo'd Wideman out of town last year are morons. What on earth makes you think that it's helpful to do that to someone? You're probably the same jacka$$es that fight at youth hockey games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think there is one way that Wideman and Hunwick are similar.  Both, when they are doing things right, aren't that noticeable (well, Wideman could be sometimes).  However, when they do something wrong it is often in a way that screams "Look at ME!  Now!"
    I'm not sure either makes mistakes much worse or much more often than any other lower-defensive ability defender, they just do it so visibly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Wideman is an enigma. If he doesn't make too many mistakes , he would be a top 5 d in the league. He is a great skater, has an underrated slap shot, logs on a ton of minutes, puts up lots of points, carries to the puck end to end, good locker room guy. Comparable to a Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrook , only that realistically he is not. Either he has below average IQ or mentally weak , the numerous mistakes last year was really bad. I never saw CJ so mad on numerous occasions. (the guy barely shows his emotions)

Hunwick looks slower on his skates but i think mainly because he has bulked up too much or strength trainned incorrectly. From what i see in addition, during the 1st  year when he played better, he was not worried about getting benched and just played his game. He didn't always ring it off the board to safely get it out(getting him in trouble), and these days he barely joins the rush like he used to be able too.

Someone said he is small, still not ver strong and worst now can't skate. He might be a guy perfect to get back to similiar shape as in year 1 and head over to europe

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Hunwick is a 6th D man. He has speed and can move the puck on the PP. He's not supposed to be flawless, I don't know one 6th D man that is. And I love all the "it was a weak shot that got through" people. Uh, guys, it's called a screen. All he has to do it get it on net, maybe the goalie won't see it, maybe you'll get a rebound. Regardless, it was a good play by Hunwick. Yes, he's going to get bullied in the corners and make turnovers in his own end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone was doing that last night. Don't just blame Hunwick. And I'm sure we can get a lot by trading him.......
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

No. Hunwick made a ton of mistakes last night and did not move the puck well.  He also seems like he only has good speed on offense, not defense.  Watch the tape of Jason Chimera come in one-on-one and beat Hunwick cleanly to the outside.  Chimera isn't exactly an all-star either.

I'll agree that the shot was well placed with the screen in front of the net, but it doesn't make up for the many defensive lapses.

I never booed Wideman either and I think he was a much better player than Hunwick (post-spleen).  You're coming on a little strong with the name-calling and youth hockey stuff.  Hunwick has been awful so far, IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

The main problem seen last night with Hunwick was his ability to get the breakout going.  Looked like he didn't know what to do with the puck.  Other than that he was fine.  That said, going up against a good forecheck you need to move the puck well with good decisions and not cough it up.  Wideman had mental lapses when he coughed the puck up...stuff you cannot coach out of.  With Hunwick it just seems to be unsureness, tentitiveness, and that can be coached out or go away with experience.  He's a good skater, average defensive skill and above average offensive skill.  I'd like to see McQaid soon, and if not for Hunwick's goal, I think he'd be sitting Thursday. I think CJ wants to see if his confidence rising after that goal translates into better play.  This team has depth in all aspects and defensive pairings that will shut down their opponents respective lines.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]yet when he scores, not 1 word from the peanut gallery
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

Agree -- You can sit and count his mistakes but he's the only one who seems to take the chance of pinching in on the boards in the offensive zone keeping the puck in the zone. Nothing is more annoying than to see the puck heading towards the blue line a seeing one of our paranoid defenseman already at the red line skating backwards in retreat mode. The most succesful teams pinch like crazy until the other teams break the press by headmanning up the middle. By that time it's usually too late. Bottom line -- Hunwick keeps the play moving in the offensive zone more than anyone. Give him time to develop more and he may just be a keeper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The only reason me thinks Chiarelli is telling Julien to keep playing Hunwick is to showcase him for as trade (not much to showcase right now). Matt made a horrible play behind the net that led to Washington's goal. The reason Hunwick got a goal last night is the work of Caron's screen.

Trading Hunwick is the same as trading Wideman it's a "change of scenery trade" Matt has no confidence because the pressure has made him try to do too much which is What got Wideman in trouble. Bartkowski and McQuaid should be platooned on the # 6 spot after trading Hunwick. The time is now for the youth movement and has been all summer n fall.

Sections
Shortcuts