I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him

I don't know if not signing with Phoenix cost him 2 years, His college career was considered a dissapointment by most and he was a much brighter prospect going in, then he was when he came out.... I think not signing with phoenix cost him what it cost him (which was about 1/2 a mill a season)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Wheeler has potential but at this point, honestly, what has Wheeler proven? That he turns invisible at the end of the season and playoffs?

I'd like to keep him, but at a value style deal. If he asks for $4mm, PC might pull a back muscle from laughing too hard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him:
    Wheeler has potential but at this point, honestly, what has Wheeler proven? That he turns invisible at the end of the season and playoffs? I'd like to keep him, but at a value style deal. If he asks for $4mm, PC might pull a back muscle from laughing too hard.
    Posted by MDsizzle

If they gave it to him, I'd pull a hamstring running to the store to buy all new Islanders gear.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Really?  Islanders gear?  Buy low, sell high?

Whatever they do with Wheeler, it can't be easy - unless they offer him the same money they signed Rask for and he says "OK" and signs.  If there's any kind of back and forth, I'm hoping they send him a clear message: you've done nothing.  Right now, you're a dime-a-dozen winger who, on his good days, can play the second line and on his bad days should be benched.  You have plenty of size and skill but you're not getting results.  We're not going to pay you for having size and skill any more.  Until you show us you're willing to do what it takes to get results, this is what we're willing to pay you.  If you don't think that's generous enough, you're an RFA - see if someone else agrees with you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Stanley, Stanley,Stanley... I understand you have a lot hope on this guy, but there's absolutely no way in hell that PC offers that money & neither will any other team. Unless he's going to the KHL! This guy just may not have it! He's a big guy, that supposedly gained 20 lbs of muscle in the off season last year & he seemed more weak! The odds are against him, because whenever it comes to college players. More often than not they cannot handle the rigors of the NHL. Now, I know there's plenty of players that came from the college ranks that have been great, but so far Wheeler hasn't shown he's going to be one. Not for a player that was picked 5th overall & a player of his size! If PC signs him to a 2 yr $2mill a season I think for what he's shown that's more than enough! I think Wheeler needs to decide if wants to be a hockey player. Until he shows he does I wouldn't give him anymore than a 2 yr deal! In the 1.5-2 range.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Well stated. Especially your point on Wheeler needing to decide. For me, that sums up perfectly where this young, talented forward is in his career. It's not a crossroads but it is a critical decision point- either he commits to playing physically and utlizing his size and speed more effecitively or fails to and becomes a journeyman player for the remainder of his career.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Really?  Islanders gear?  Buy low, sell high?
    Posted by Bookboy007

Earlier in the year, when talk of one of the defensemen entering the top two was being batted around, I declared that if the B's took a defenseman with their TO pick, I would be a full fledged Islanders fan until Chiarelli was fired.

If he were to give Wheeler $4M/yr, the same rule would stand.  I've been a B's fan for over 30 years, but either of those two things would be the final straw.

The following year, of course, the B's would win the Cup, and I'd be sitting in my living room with my Tavares jersey on and a Brendan Witt fathead laughing at me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjd57. Show rjd57's posts

The only way Wheeler scores 30 is if 25 are empty-netters. And he'll miss most of those, too.