If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston...

...I think thier GM is stupid! Unless they feel they HAVE to have Hall! Think about it...the Bruins will draft Hall over Seguin, no doubt. So they get Seguin!
    Anything extra you can get from the Bruins to swap picks is gravy. (Wheeler, Ryder, Hunwick or rights to Stuart, or #15 overall, #32 overall or #45 overall) Anything would help an Oilers team that was by far LAST PLACE last season.

If you are Chiarelli, don't sell the farm just to move up 1 slot! Take whomever Edmonton does not want. If he can swing a deal to free up some cap space and swap picks it's a win for the Bruins and a win for the Oilers!

Just my 5 cents worth!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston...

If edmonton believe Hall is clearly the cut of the draft, or they are not sold the segiun will be as good they aren't stupid for not trading.. Besides, I think there is a trend with finishing near the bottom for 2 season or so in a row, They have no interest in Ryder as he would not be part of a "rebuilding effort" but I do think #2 and wheeler or stuart (colborne) would be enough to get in done

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Don't swap...let Tambellini come to you...the pressure is on him...Chiarelli is a train wreck as a GM...bad signs, saddled with lousy contracts...trade #15 and /or 32 or 45 to move up to the top 6...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Oilers want Seguin ...they need a C therefore stop panicing ...BRUINS will get a forward : Taylor Hall but dont get me wrong Seguin has more talent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston...:
    The Oilers want Seguin ...they need a C therefore stop panicing ...BRUINS will get a forward : Taylor Hall but dont get me wrong Seguin has more talent
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

That's exactly what scares me SCB. Hall is a pure sniper, and i am afraid that's all he's going to be. However, i have read that his passing skills has gotten a lot better over the last 2 seasons. Still, i think many are over looking Seguin's skill set. He's the complete package. People can say all they want about being a "win,win" and yes they are right to some extent. But what they fail to realize or admit is that Seguin  is the better all-around player.

I would not mind Seguin and although i am on the fence i feel that i am leaning towards #9.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

If we don't get Hall just wait....3 years from now he's gonna pull a Kessel and want out of Edmonton...From the looks of it he wants nothing to do with the Oilerss and wants to be a Bruin...Helps that Orr's his agent as well.
    Posted by rockett7

Or with 22M or so off the books next year we could make a run at Alex Semin in FA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston... : Or with 22M or so off the books next year we could make a run at Alex Semin in FA
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Semin's stats might look nice, but he's very similar to Kessel in attitude.  Plus, he plays the bongos.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli does not have to do anything but grab 1A or 1B.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

It's kind of a strange situation. Neither Edmonton or Boston may end up with the player they want.
    If Edmonton really wants Seguin, they would have been better off if Boston had won the draft lottery. Then they could have "settled" for Seguin, with the 2nd pick, with no backlash from their fan base.
    In this poker game the two teams find themselves in, Edmonton has to be careful in how much they ask for, if Boston does try to switch picks.
    Asking for too much will be a deal killer. Asking for too little, will tip their hand that they really intend to take Seguin, and the bruins will withdraw the offer, knowing they will get Hall with the 2nd pick.
    It really should be an interesting few weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I'm not sold on Seguin, to be honest. I'm wary of a player that springs out of nowhere in his draft year to become the top-rated pick. Hall has been talked about for several years now as being the consensus number one pick, and for good reason. He's consistently been a top player, and elevates his game during the playoffs, evidenced by two straight Memorial Cup MVP trophies. Think about that. Last year he was 17 and still got the MVP on a stacked team. Stacked team again, he still gets the MVP. That means he's the best of the best, and likely helps the players around him elevate their game. The guy's a beast. Consistently.

Another thing people talk about is that Hall is a year older, but that's really not the case. Hall was born November 14, 1991, Seguin was born January 31, 1992. They're only a couple months apart. I realize the age difference means a cutoff when you're looking at what level you're allowed to play, which explains the year less of experience, but there's really no age disparity. Again, Hall has been elite for several years now, Seguin has shown what he can do for one season.

I'm also a little suspicious of how jacked Seguin looked at the combine. Do they test for steroids there?

There were stories on each player in the THN draft issue. The one on Hall spoke mostly about his training habits, and how his father was on the Olympic bobsled team. He showed Taylor how to train and work his lower body for speed and quickness. They mentioned how there was a day off for players at one point, and the coach showed up at the rink to find Hall running wind sprints in the parking lot. Sounds pretty dedicated to me. The Seguin article was mostly talking to his coaches and talking about how he learned to play both ways, and how they pushed him to become a scorer this year. He didn't do it himself.

What all this boils down to is Hall seems like an elite athlete who is self-motivating and wants to win, and has shown it consistently for years. Seguin seems like he came out of nowhere to challenge Hall this year. Just makes me suspicious of his true value. I want Hall, and I would want him if I were either of the GMs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

I think there is alot of pressure on Tamballini to draft Hall, Edmonton fans drool over his playoff performances....I also dont care who we draft, but i do have a feeling Chiarelli will overpay to get Hall

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sold on Seguin, to be honest.
    Posted by bear-in-the-woods

How is life on that island, all by yourself?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

The perception--right or wrong--is that Hall is the better of the two and should be the #1 pick. Edmonton will select him for that very reason.

PC would be stupid to give up a ransom to the Oil just to get Hall, when Seguin may end up being just as good or better--and could very well end up as a winger instead of a center with the right coaching and development. What PC should be doing w/the rest of the Bruins picks is putting together an enticing package to draw a serious impact winger from another team that's rebuilding in order to supplement the good centers the B's have and make up for the dead weight that's been Ryder and Sturm from last season.

Unfortunately the Bruins already had such a winger--a proven goal scorer with nothing but upside--and they let him go for the POTENTIAL of what MIGHT be an impact player SOME DAY. I won't mention the name of said player for fear of re-opening that can of worms that had all of us sniping at each other last season. Suffice it to say he scored 30 goals last year on a horrible team, and those who said "good riddance" better hope Seguin is the stud everyone says he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm not sold on Seguin, to be honest. I'm wary of a player that springs out of nowhere in his draft year to become the top-rated pick.

Not really.  He started his rookie year ranked ninth, and in two years moved to #1.  Another way to look at it is he is on a very steep development curve.  I think that's why he is projected better than Hall.  I felt the same way you did when I first started researching these two.  The more I read the more I like Seguin.  Hey, the scouts can't be that far off.  I'm sure they have seen this before, they know how to factor in a rapid rise.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

A move is going to have to be made in either case, BECAUSE

The Bruins don't need another playmaking center

So the choice is draft Seguin and trade away someone to make room for him
    (Bergeron doesn't have the physical skill set needed to play effectively along the boards...ANYMORE. You really want him on the wing, or is everyone still living in the past?)

Or, trade some pieces first and take Hall

Either way a trade will be needed...plan b makes sense, the former is really a lateral move that will not have the impact that is needed -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

The perception--right or wrong--is that Hall is the better of the two and should be the #1 pick. Edmonton will select him for that very reason. PC would be stupid to give up a ransom to the Oil just to get Hall, when Seguin may end up being just as good or better--and could very well end up as a winger instead of a center with the right coaching and development. What PC should be doing w/the rest of the Bruins picks is putting together an enticing package to draw a serious impact winger from another team that's rebuilding in order to supplement the good centers the B's have and make up for the dead weight that's been Ryder and Sturm from last season. Unfortunately the Bruins already had such a winger--a proven goal scorer with nothing but upside--and they let him go for the POTENTIAL of what MIGHT be an impact player SOME DAY. I won't mention the name of said player for fear of re-opening that can of worms that had all of us sniping at each other last season. Suffice it to say he scored 30 goals last year on a horrible team, and those who said "good riddance" better hope Seguin is the stud everyone says he is.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Consider the can opened...Kessel is a floater.  He disappears when the game tightens up.  He has no work ethic.  He wanted way too much money, and would have held the team ransom at some point.  Good riddance.  The fact that the trade yields either Seguin or Hall (plus whatever the draft holds next year) is a huge lottery win for the B's.  If it is Seguin, Kessel was replaced with not only a skill match or improvement, but a huge upgrade in leadership and attitude.  Seguin is projected as a future captain.  Kessel?  Not so much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]A move is going to have to be made in either case, BECAUSE The Bruins don't need another playmaking center [QUOTE]

The only way you can have too many is if they are all in their prime at once.  The B's depth at Center is nicely spread out.  By the time Seguin is ready to fill the #1 center role, Savy will be on his way out.  Shouldn't miss a beat in a key position.  This draft ( and to a certain extent next years) sets the franchise up for the next ten years.  All this trade talk is short term thinking.  They do have to make a move, but only to dump some salary.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston... : Consider the can opened...Kessel is a floater.  He disappears when the game tightens up.  He has no work ethic.  He wanted way too much money, and would have held the team ransom at some point.  Good riddance.  The fact that the trade yields either Seguin or Hall (plus whatever the draft holds next year) is a huge lottery win for the B's.  If it is Seguin, Kessel was replaced with not only a skill match or improvement, but a huge upgrade in leadership and attitude.  Seguin is projected as a future captain.  Kessel?  Not so much.
    Posted by scooter244

Fair enough viewpoint, but you're not going to be proven right for a while--if ever. I heard a lot of the same projections about guys like Eric Lindros, Brian Bellows, and then there's always the Gord Kluzak factor--no matter how good a guy MIGHT be, a bad injury or freak occurrence can de-rail the whole thing.

You want to pin the "soft" label on Kessel--fine. But numbers don't lie, and 30 goals on a Leafs team w/total spazzes feeding him the puck is nothing to sneeze at, and Kessel undoubtedly has something that's invaluable in today's NHL since the 2-line pass was made legal, and that's SPEED. it's why Lucic will never be a great player (he's a mediocre skater and slow as molasses in January), and Kessel is a speed demon who's only going to get better as he hits his peak years. Is he a "grinder", or a great 2way player who takes care of the defensive end? Nope. But that isn't what the Bruins needed last year, was it? What they needed was EXACTLY what Kessel provided: goals.

So while I hope you're right about the eventual impact of Hall or seguin and the other picks, you have to admit that the Bruins have put themselves in a situation where they HAD something they needed, and gave it up for the POTENTIAL of a greater reward down the road.

I'll also ask if you have the same feelings about Joe Thornton as you do about Kessel, because if so, then you're buying the Bruins beat writers' lines about nonsense like "grit", "heart", and "leadership" being more important than pure talent. (i.e. Running Thornton out of town for Sturm, the immortal Wayne Primeau, and the useless Brad Stuart is still one  of the dumbest moves an organization known for dumb moves has ever made.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Keep the pick...let Tambellini squirm....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Keep the pick...let Tambellini squirm....
    Posted by hARRIS666

True,
    Remember when Det wanted Lafontaine, they got stuck with Yzerman, it worked out ok...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Funny how the draft can work sometimes.
    I remember in the 1981 draft, Hartford had the 4th pick, and was making no secret that they were taking Bobby Carpenter. They even had his father sitting at their table.
    What happens? Washington takes him with the 3rd pick, and Hartford gets "stuck" with Ron Francis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston... : Fair enough viewpoint, but you're not going to be proven right for a while--if ever. I heard a lot of the same projections about guys like Eric Lindros, Brian Bellows, and then there's always the Gord Kluzak factor--no matter how good a guy MIGHT be, a bad injury or freak occurrence can de-rail the whole thing. You want to pin the "soft" label on Kessel--fine. But numbers don't lie, and 30 goals on a Leafs team w/total spazzes feeding him the puck is nothing to sneeze at, and Kessel undoubtedly has something that's invaluable in today's NHL since the 2-line pass was made legal, and that's SPEED. it's why Lucic will never be a great player (he's a mediocre skater and slow as molasses in January), and Kessel is a speed demon who's only going to get better as he hits his peak years. Is he a "grinder", or a great 2way player who takes care of the defensive end? Nope. But that isn't what the Bruins needed last year, was it? What they needed was EXACTLY what Kessel provided: goals. So while I hope you're right about the eventual impact of Hall or seguin and the other picks, you have to admit that the Bruins have put themselves in a situation where they HAD something they needed, and gave it up for the POTENTIAL of a greater reward down the road. I'll also ask if you have the same feelings about Joe Thornton as you do about Kessel, because if so, then you're buying the Bruins beat writers' lines about nonsense like "grit", "heart", and "leadership" being more important than pure talent. (i.e. Running Thornton out of town for Sturm, the immortal Wayne Primeau, and the useless Brad Stuart is still one  of the dumbest moves an organization known for dumb moves has ever made.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

The thornton trade was a salary dump so chara could be signed IMO and ill take chara over thornton anyday of the week. How many cups has san jose won with a stacked team of entry contracts and suposedly great players? better yet how many finals have they even made it to? Dont get me wrong i like thornton but not at 7mil a year and niether did the bruins after they gave it to him. We'll find out how good san jose's gm really is this year when he has to resign some players who's entry contracts are up and its time to be payed. I'll also add Lucic had what 4-5 playoff goals this spring and kessel had 0 again ill take lucic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Funny how the draft can work sometimes. I remember in the 1981 draft, Hartford had the 4th pick, and was making no secret that they were taking Bobby Carpenter. They even had his father sitting at their table. What happens? Washington takes him with the 3rd pick, and Hartford gets "stuck" with Ron Francis.
    Posted by biggskye

You know, taking Hall or Seguin, which ever is left over, is like saying to me I don't have a choice about which side of your avatar I would get to pick.    Either one is fine.  Trading anything for one or the other makes no sense at all if you are gauranteed one of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: If Edmonton does not swap picks with Boston... : The thornton trade was a salary dump so chara could be signed IMO and ill take chara over thornton anyday of the week. How many cups has san jose won with a stacked team of entry contracts and suposedly great players? better yet how many finals have they even made it to? Dont get me wrong i like thornton but not at 7mil a year and niether did the bruins after they gave it to him. We'll find out how good san jose's gm really is this year when he has to resign some players who's entry contracts are up and its time to be payed.
    Posted by puckhog9966

Puckhog, When we have thornton he was under 7, though not significantly, and as you put it yourself, how many cups have the bruins won with chara at 7.5m??  As poor as Joe has played in the play offs, San Jose has easily been the more successful of the two teams over that time span...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

"Jumbo" Joe has easily had the better supporting cast the last few years and still can't get it done . The problem with Joe is he's a good loser .