if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose?

Not sure who I would take...but look at Espo's numbers as a B

GP  G  A Pts

1967-68Boston BruinsNHL743549842140330
    1968-69Boston BruinsNHL7449771267910810188
    1969-70Boston BruinsNHL76435699501413142716
    1970-71Boston BruinsNHL78767615271737106
    1971-72Boston BruinsNHL76666713376159152424
    1972-73Boston BruinsNHL7855751308720112
    1973-74Boston BruinsNHL7868771455816951425
    1974-75Boston BruinsNHL7961661276234150
    1975-76Boston BruinsNHL12610168

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose?

I'm going with Milt Schmidt. He won a scoring title , MVP and a couple of Cups. How many Bruins forwards can say that. Kudos must also be given to players who most of us have never seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Neely would be too easy to pick so I'm going with the guy that when he retired it was said they could put his picture on the front of the Bruins jersey...#24 Terry O'reilly !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose?:
    In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose? : Well thanks for clarifying the timing of when they put limits on stick curvature.. I wasn't sure when that took place and in trying to remember, I do recall many of the players back than had 'bananna curves" which gave the goalies fits... As good as Expo was in his day, I would still favor Neely for all that he brought to the table... Not to take anything away from Espo because he lit it up quite regularly back then but he had a few of the best corner guys in Hodge and Cashmant to feed him the puck....Just my opinion..
    Posted by SupportLocal81

You're forgetting someone else . . . . Bobby Orr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose?:
    In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose? :  Big deal...any jamoke can read the all time scoring leaders. no doubt Chief and Espo were great players in their day, but no-one bled B's colors like Neely. 50 goals in 49 games....comming back from severe knee surgury time and again. OMG, look at some highlight films, not just the media guide to see how many goals someone scored. Sea Bass....the Heart and Soul!!!
    Posted by TurkS16

I actually saw all of these guys play.

Esposito scored 76 fricken goals in a season.

I would only bring back forwards that managed to lead a Bruins' team to a Cup.

Bucyk and Espo did it.

Neely didn't. 

Them's the facts, Jack !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I'm going with Milt Schmidt. He won a scoring title , MVP and a couple of Cups. How many Bruins forwards can say that. Kudos must also be given to players who most of us have never seen.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Never saw Schmidt play play as he was before my time, but since you asked.

Phil Esposito won the scoring title five times (1968-69, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1972-73 and 1973-1974,) the Hart trophy as League MVP twice (1968-69, 1973-74) and the Stanley Cup in 1970 and 1972.  

I think that he is the only other Bruins' forward other than Schmidt who can lay claim to those accomplishments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

The term "Garbage Goal" always makes me cringe when it comes to Espo. Back then the defensemen had a lot more leeway in front of the net. Espo got the living daylights kicked out of him for standing in there.

All due respect to Neely, Nifty and Espo but it's tough to argue against Chief.

*Perennial 20 goal scorer when the B's were cellar dwellers.
    *Thirty to forty in their heyday with 51 in 70-71.
    *Twenty-one seasons with the Bruins.
    *One of the hardest checkers in his day.
    *Ten straight 20 goal seasons including the one immediately prior to his retirement year.
    *NHL's top scoring left wing until Robitaille passed him.
    *Like fine wine he got better as he aged. 
    *Probably didn't get the credit he deserved due to being grouped with Frank Mahovlich and Bobby Hull.
    *Accomplished all this after suffering a severe back injury in his 30's. As a result he had to wear a back harness for the rest of his career and was almost constantly in pain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

The term "Garbage Goal" always makes me cringe when it comes to Espo. Back then the defensemen had a lot more leeway in front of the net. Espo got the living daylights kicked out of him for standing in there. All due respect to Neely, Nifty and Espo but it's tough to argue against Chief. *Perennial 20 goal scorer when the B's were cellar dwellers. *Thirty to forty in their heyday with 51 in 70-71. *Twenty-one seasons with the Bruins. *One of the hardest checkers in his day. *Ten straight 20 goal seasons including the one immediately prior to his retirement year. *NHL's top scoring left wing until Robitaille passed him. *Like fine wine he got better as he aged.  *Probably didn't get the credit he deserved due to being grouped with Frank Mahovlich and Bobby Hull. *Accomplished all this after suffering a severe back injury in his 30's. As a result he had to wear a back harness for the rest of his career and was almost constantly in pain.
    Posted by BruWingFan

All great points on "Chief."

He was a workhorse, but he also managed two 100+ point seasons.  He also played with alot of dignity and respect for his opponent.  I always liked him.

There's also a very good reason that this guy was the first Bruin to hoist the Cup around the Boston Gardens in 1970.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose? : Never saw Schmidt play play as he was before my time, but since you asked. Phil Esposito won the scoring title five times (1968-69, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1972-73 and 1973-1974,) the Hart trophy as League MVP twice (1968-69, 1973-74) and the Stanley Cup in 1970 and 1972.   I think that he is the only other Bruins' forward other than Schmidt who can lay claim to those accomplishments.
    Posted by RMiller87

Great career aided with the help of someone wearing #4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

In Response to Re: if the bruins could have any 1 of their past forwards, who would you choose? : You're forgetting someone else . . . . Bobby Orr.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I am NOT forgetting #4... the post clearly stated..that if we could choose any of the past FORWARDS.. who would we pick..and yes..#4 was all that and then some.. amazing athlete...There is no right or wrong answer in this thread.. these are merely opinions..That's my story and I am sticking to it..unless I change my mind..LOL