If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be?

You posters can prob. help me figure this out this is what i would like to see

Florida to Quebec City( MTL and Que rival will be good atmosphere agaian)

Dallas to Winnipeg (Winnipeg and and the three other canadian west teams will be a rival)

Phoniex to Portland ( already has a cable network for the Trail Blazers and will greate a new rival with other north west teams in the states)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be?

The Islanders seem to be the franchise with the least stability. Last year at this time, Kansas City was the proposed destination (new arena) but I don't know if anything has progressed there. The Lighthouse project (new arena for the Isles) seems stalled. So I would bet they're the most likely team to move right now.

Quebec needs a new arena. They won't get a team without one, and a lot of investors don't want to pony up the money for an arena unless they're very, very sure a team is coming. It's a classic Catch-22, and for that reason I don't think the Quebec-MTL rivalry will revitalized for a while, if ever.

I see Hamilton as still having the inside track on a new NHL team in Canada. The possibility for corporate dollars exist there more than in Manitoba, and the population base is much stronger there, too. I do think there is room for 3 teams in that hockey-crazy region (Leafs, Sabres, Hamilton), and unlike Quebec, Copps Colesium only needs renovations.

Not sure about Portland. Their Winter Hawks do pretty well by WHL attendance figures, but I don't know how an NHL team would fare there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Buffalo Ottawa boston montreal toronto
    njd pittsburgh philly nyr nyi
    washington atl car tb quebec

chicago detroit nash. st. lou. columbus
    SJ portland LA Anahiem Colorado
    vancouver winnipeg calgary minny edmonton

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I already thought that the Mayor of quebec city already the OK to start building an arena. The winnipeg people are all gung ho about having the jets coming back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be?:
    [QUOTE]I already thought that the Mayor of quebec city already the OK to start building an arena. The winnipeg people are all gung ho about having the jets coming back.
    Posted by Canbostondoit[/QUOTE]
    He did....but they still have to pay for it. That's the difficult part; coming up with the money to fund this arena.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Phoenix to Winnipeg it will happen fairly soon Bettman gave till next month for Glendale, Az. and a new ownership (still not intact) to get something done still nothing.

I look to Legion and Kennedy for insight on the Quebec situation and from what I've read online that seems to be the case is that their needs to be a New Arena before anything happens which makes sense. Rallies of fans are nice but it doesn't get an arena built.

Atlanta will be the next franchise to go they are almost in a Phoenix situation where the league might have to take over. Nashville is in trouble with the city and there lease as well even though they've got a real good team. Florida n Dallas not far behind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Phoenix needs to go. The novelty has worn off and even when competitive they cannot sustain strong enough attendance/interest to be viable for the long term. Send them somewhere where hockey is appreciated. Winnipeg would be fine with me but Bettman will probbaly send them to Miami as he thinks latinos and retired northerners (who will drop allegiance to whatever team they used to follow) are the demographic to go for.
    Also, the Thrashers and Preds are unlikely to ever find enough support in their markets to be viable and competitive for very long. Send them to Hamilton and Quebec.
    The Isles have been amongst the bottom feeders in attendance as well and may have become expendable with two well supported teams in the same market. Maybe Portland or Seattle would do better?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Thanx for the incite posters may the best team win the cup. Go bruins Go, I have a toronto fan at work who is annoying the s&%# out me he saying BST is going no where and Toronto will kick the crap out of MTl Thurs. and toronto will make to the conference final. i don't say this often but i hope MTl embarrasses Toronto tommorrow night just to shut him up. my wife is fench can. and now i know why her brothers hate toronto fans more than Bst. fans. I just  had a bad taste of reality at work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes that's right don't say expansion in Canada not funny they want some teams back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

If Phoenix doesn't move to Winnipeg, I doubt there will ever be a team in Manitoba again. There just aren't enough corporate sponsors. Any team in Winnipeg would be completely dependant on playoff money, would be unable to spend to the cap, and would require an owner that could absorb losses. In other words, they'd need an owner who would have to be comfortable owning a team in a market very much like Phoenix. If Phoenix leaves soon, it will be to Hamilton.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MacV. Show MacV's posts

[QUOTE]If Phoenix doesn't move to Winnipeg, I doubt there will ever be a team in Manitoba again. There just aren't enough corporate sponsors. Any team in Winnipeg would be completely dependant on playoff money, would be unable to spend to the cap, and would require an owner that could absorb losses. In other words, they'd need an owner who would have to be comfortable owning a team in a market very much like Phoenix. If Phoenix leaves soon, it will be to Hamilton.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree, though corporate sponsorship is limited one group has expressed interest, take a look:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZFF-ZxWOI

Look at #20 on this list:
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

more material:
    http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=3014753

Speculation is that with Thompson involvement (they do own the areana) and the guaranteed attendence (the Jets still maintain a "cult following" in Winnepeg) Winnepeg would be a success story.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Québec, the mayor is ready to put 50 millions $ and the provincial has allready announced 174 millions $. So all we need for a new Coliseum, is the part of the federal government. That should come within a few months. So, with the confirmation of the construction of a new building, a franchise could move here and play, let's say two seasons in the old Colisée. And, then, I'll have the chance to see the Bruins here again when they'll meet the Nordiques !!!  Yeah !!!!! Let's go Bruins !!!
    Posted by Remi72[/QUOTE]

Exactly where are you getting this idea that assistance to build a new arena in Quebec City "should come within a few months" from the Canadian Federal Government ?

Source, please ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Phoenix is staying. A group has agreed to pay $25 million to cover losses the team may incur this year. That group is said to be close to a deal to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.

The Islanders would be a candidate to be moved but they just reached an agreement to see out their lease which still has a few more years left.

Two teams that should be moved are Atlanta and Florida. The people in those two place don't care about hockey. Atlanta last year was making a push for the playoffs at the end of the season and the building was only half full.

Another team that is a possibility to be moved is Columbus. They had significant monetary losses last year and if things stay the same, I can't imagine the owners wanting to stay

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]The Islanders seem to be the franchise with the least stability. Last year at this time, Kansas City was the proposed destination (new arena) but I don't know if anything has progressed there. The Lighthouse project (new arena for the Isles) seems stalled. So I would bet they're the most likely team to move right now. Quebec needs a new arena. They won't get a team without one, and a lot of investors don't want to pony up the money for an arena unless they're very, very sure a team is coming. It's a classic Catch-22, and for that reason I don't think the Quebec-MTL rivalry will revitalized for a while, if ever. I see Hamilton as still having the inside track on a new NHL team in Canada. The possibility for corporate dollars exist there more than in Manitoba, and the population base is much stronger there, too. I do think there is room for 3 teams in that hockey-crazy region (Leafs, Sabres, Hamilton), and unlike Quebec, Copps Colesium only needs renovations. Not sure about Portland. Their Winter Hawks do pretty well by WHL attendance figures, but I don't know how an NHL team would fare there.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    Everything that I hear on NHL Home Ice is that the NHL won't allow another team in the Province of ON, or in Hamiton. Reason that keeps getting mentioned is because they're afraid Buffalo would lose a lot fans. They have a lot of season ticket holders this side of the border. Reason the fans go to Buffalo is because there's no seats available in Toronto.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be? : Everything that I hear on NHL Home Ice is that the NHL won't allow another team in the Province of ON, or in Hamiton. Reason that keeps getting mentioned is because they're afraid Buffalo would lose a lot fans. They have a lot of season ticket holders this side of the border. Reason the fans go to Buffalo is because there's no seats available in Toronto.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

That's certainly possible.

As for Quebec, I don't think that Canada's federal government is simply going to rubber stamp the additional funding for the new arena. I think that's going to be a huge bone of contention, and would be at any time, let alone in a stagnant economy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I am only forty minutes away from Buffalo and Hamilton right smack in the middle of both cities easy access to highway to both cities. If both cities had an NHL team and had a choice of what season tickets (even though i am a bruins fan) to purchase i would take hamilton mainly because i will not need to cross the peace bridge into the states and will not need to wait at the customs check.

Overall i would only buy the tickets when the bruins come to town and would not buy season tickets for either cities. If hamilton and buff. both had teams that would give me the oppurtunity to see more bruins games live.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be? : Have to disagree, though corporate sponsorship is limited one group has expressed interest, take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZFF-ZxWOI Look at #20 on this list: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html more material: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=3014753 Speculation is that with Thompson involvement (they do own the areana) and the guaranteed attendence (the Jets still maintain a "cult following" in Winnepeg) Winnepeg would be a success story.  
    Posted by MacV[/QUOTE]

Even with the Thompson family, there isn't enough of a corporate community to make purchasing a franchise a good investment. One very rich group isn't going to be enough to maintain an NHL franchise and would leave the Jets extremely vulnerable. Additionally, partly because of the lack of corporate sponsors, the increase in the value of the franchise would not be large enough to cover the losses that the team would inevitably incur with a building that could hold, at max, 17 000 people (currently only 15, 000, smallest in the league if it were in today). Can't argue that the people in Winnipeg love their hockey and that it's unfortunate the Jets ever left, but in terms of desirable markets, I'd put a couple of Southern Ontario venues and Quebec City ahead of Winnipeg, and there's basically no chance the NHL will add more than 2 Canadian teams in the next decade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Winnipeg and Quebec gets NHL team who will it be? : That's certainly possible. As for Quebec, I don't think that Canada's federal government is simply going to rubber stamp the additional funding for the new arena. I think that's going to be a huge bone of contention, and would be at any time, let alone in a stagnant economy.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

I would go even farther to say that any Federal Government that rubber stamps funding for an arena in Quebec in this economic climate will very likely find themselves in the opposition benches after the next Federal election in Canada. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's make this perfectly clear. The only reason the NHL has made money since the lockout is the Canadian dollar.

The Canadian dollar has been at or near par to the US, whereas it was previously as low as $0.67. Since Canadian teams sell their games to 99% capacity, as a whole, and have bigger TV contracts, sell more jerseys and other paraphenalia - their revenues went up 49%.

Canadian teams generate 50% of NHL revenues, that translates to a 24.5% overall increase in total revenues.

Therefore, the further the US dollar falls, the greater the NHL revenues will be. Consequently, the pendulum has shifted and the exodus of American-based teams will soon begin. I can forsee as many as 4 teams moving to Canada.

In my estimation, those teams are likely to be: Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta and NY Islanders. They will move to Quebec, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan or Halifax, and a 2nd team in Toronto.

Having said all this, in a couple of decades the pendulum will probably swing back and some teams will move back to US destinations.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I think you're right, Wheatskins, about the reason for the overall financial shift. I'm not sure, though, that given the current economic strategy of the US government that the dollar will rebound to that kind of strength anytime soon....maybe even within 2 decades! But who knows--it's definitely possible, but that's more of a political discussion than a hockey one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

The US National Debt has increased an average of $4.19 Billion PER DAY since September 2007, and this trend shows no sign of stopping.

I cannot foresee the devaluation of the US dollar stopping any time soon -- let alone actually rebounding. 

I suspect that the NHL will eventually have to return to Canada, but I hope that Commissioner Bettman is held responsible for his actions of stripping Quebec City and Winnipeg of their franchises in the first place.

This failing Sunbelt strategy was his baby, after all. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This article was put on TSN last night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336516

The most important line is "The commissioner acknowledged that there are a number of cities with an interest in having an NHL team and hinted that Winnipeg is ahead of Quebec in the queue."

I still think the Coyotes end up in the Peg. Those who questions about the rink size or market size should check out jetsowner.com It really breaks down all of those issues and effectively answers the questions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I doubt Canada will get 2 or more NEW teams in the very near future.  I just dont see it.  Teams have moved OUT of Canada and their economy isnt any better than anywhere else.  Plus theres like NOBODY living up there.  What, 33 mil for the whole country?  Their largest city only has 4 mil.  Winnipeg & Quebec only have a rough 650 thousand each.  There are HUGE cities in America that dont sell out nightly, how are tiny "cities" in Canada going to do it?  Plus you have to factor in travel (the costs, the hassles of crossing the boarders, bad weather, etc.) and I dont think Canada is going to be getting more than 1 team within the next 5 years.  PLUS if they do move Phoenix up there it makes GB look like a moron, and we all know he will do anything to make himself look good.  I just dont see it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Actually their economy is a lot better than anywhere else - Canada's banking regulations saved them from the same crisis that hit the rest of the world. Ontario and Quebec were hammered due to their close ties t the US and dependence on manufacturing. But the rest of the country was barely impacted. In fact Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta never had a recession (two consecutive quarters of down GDP). And yes Canadian cities are smaller, but there still about a million people in the greater Winnipeg region, and unlike in a lot of American markets, all 1 million of those are hockey fans. The economy in the three Prairie provinces is seeing significant growth (Alberta for example has the fastest growing energy sector in the world, and a hydro project currently being built in Manitoba will be powerful enough to oprovide ALL the electrical needs for the Dakotas, Minn. and western Michigan). Don't pretend to know anyhting about the economics or demographics of Canada.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt Canada will get 2 or more NEW teams in the very near future.  I just dont see it.  Teams have moved OUT of Canada and their economy isnt any better than anywhere else.  Plus theres like NOBODY living up there.  What, 33 mil for the whole country?  Their largest city only has 4 mil.  Winnipeg & Quebec only have a rough 650 thousand each.  There are HUGE cities in America that dont sell out nightly, how are tiny "cities" in Canada going to do it?  Plus you have to factor in travel (the costs, the hassles of crossing the boarders, bad weather, etc.) and I dont think Canada is going to be getting more than 1 team within the next 5 years.  PLUS if they do move Phoenix up there it makes GB look like a moron, and we all know he will do anything to make himself look good.  I just dont see it.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Stop being such a tool !

Canada's economy has fared much better in recent times than the US's.

If Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton had NHL teams, the gate revenues would also be much higher than what many sunbelt teams are taking in.

And GB is already a moron whether Phoenix moves or not ! 

Sections
Shortcuts