Intensity In Ten Cities

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IceGoalie3014. Show IceGoalie3014's posts

Intensity In Ten Cities

After a weekend in Rhode Island filled with softball tournaments, friends, adult beverages, Labor Day, wiffle ball, and a few more adult beverages I figured that it was time to bring something somewhat productive back to The Spoked B.

Over the long weekend, well past midnight, I became engaged in a discussion about our beloved Bruins.  The main point to the argument was intensity and whether or not this team could bring it back up for another season.  My answer was clearly yes, while the other answer was not so much a no but, more of a concerned “i’m not sold.”

Here is why this team will come back strong and as intense as ever:

1. Redemption.  The Bruins got a chance to taste what it is like to go “deep” into the playoffs.  I use deep very loosely here but, a preseason goal was to advance past the first round, and guess what, they did just that.  We all know they had the capability to go further but, with busted hips, kidney stones, broken ribs, and torn labrums you can only go so far.  With the core of this team in tact and some decent additions they will certainly want to do some damage on this league again.

2. Claude Julien.  The head coach has delivered in spades around here and it certainly seems as though this locker room and the organization are behind what this guy does on and off of the ice.  There are so many more options given to a coaching staff when everyone around him have the confidence that he is making the correct decisions.

3. Tim Thomas.  I’ll admit that I used to be very guilty of drinking the Tim Thomas Hater-ade.  As a goalie myself, I love sound technique and dislike a Hasek style goaltender as they are embarrassing to watch.  It is difficult for me to watch athletic skill mixed with massive amounts of luck in dire situations.  Pure athleticism and sound technique are much more effective and this is what we have seen from Tim Thomas lately.  With solid defense in front of him he has been allowed to not let every game rest on his shoulders allowing him to stay in position and not leave normal goaltending boundaries more than a couple times per game at most.  In the past, Thomas would have to come up like Superman (thank you Jack Edwards) more than once a game on a consistent basis.  You can’t win like that.  If Thomas is in the top 10 of GAA and Save % (compared to last year’s #1), this team will see more playoff time.

4. More offense from the defense.  Like Chiarelli said, he wanted to keep the same defense in the Bruins own end but, add puck moving defensemen to the equation that can join the rush and help the transition game.  I truly believe he has done that with Derek Morris and now that Matt Hunwick will see more ice time, they have the talent to do that.  When this team was struggling (cue Joe Namath) their inability to breakout of their own zone cleanly was always the problem.  I think they’ve solved that issue.

5. Depth.  That has been one of the greatest strengths about this organization of late and for the foreseeable future it will remain that way.  Whenever guys go down, there always seems to be someone who can fill the void of injury.  Who actually predicted Byron Bitz to step in and produce as a 4th liner up from Providence on someone’s injury time?  If you think you did you are a compulsive liar who believes their own lies.  Bitz had less than stellar numbers in Providence and really didn’t play exceptionally well down in the “A.”  However, Chiarelli has brought players into this organization with a certain make-up.  It looks like Chia likes what Bill Belichick brings to the Patriots and that is the way he wants the Bruins to be run.  I have no problem with that at all

So, that is why I think the Bruins will bring back the same intensity as last season.  The best part is, I did it all without mentioning Phil Kessel…whoops.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Re: Intensity In Ten Cities

Yeah - can't argue with that. To extend your depth conversation - we had 7 players finish above NYI top goal scorer and I see no reason why we wouldn't have 9 guys at 20+ this season. That does not include the one not to be mentioned!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Nice Post

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IceGoalie3014. Show IceGoalie3014's posts

In Response to Re: Intensity In Ten Cities:
    without Kessel we're toast
    Posted by imafan

Maybe not toast but, it certainly a different outlook.  Everyone will have to up last season's goal totals between 3-5 goals to compensate for Kessel's absence.  It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities but, it does certainly bring in potential goal scoring issues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Everyone does not have to up their totals by 3-5 goals to replace kessels out put, fact is Sturm should step back in and if healthy is capable of a 30 goal season, not far off from the output we had from kessel, we should see improvement from a health Bergeron and an improved Lucic as well..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenian1967. Show fenian1967's posts

In Response to Re: Intensity In Ten Cities : Maybe not toast but, it certainly a different outlook.  Everyone will have to up last season's goal totals between 3-5 goals to compensate for Kessel's absence.  It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities but, it does certainly bring in potential goal scoring issues.
    Posted by IceGoalie3014

First they will be better defensively without Kessel.

Second I would expect a bigger output from Wheeler and Lucic just due to maturation. Sturm is good for 25 and Kobasew with more ice time will increase his goal total. Bergeron, if healthy, a big if, will contribute more.

Offensively they will be fine, Kessel's roster spot is taken by Bitz who will provide size and grit, his line spot will probably be Sturms, who will be a 10ish goal drop, but other will make up ten goals easily.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IceGoalie3014. Show IceGoalie3014's posts

I should have clarified.  I meant 3-5 on average.  Obviously some guys wont get the ice time to do it but, you make a good point about Sturm, when healthy, he could conceivably pot 30.  However, when was the last time Sturm had a healthy season?  He's no spring chicken anymore! lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Whatever happened to the goals of yesteryear.
    270 goals coming in 2nd in scoring with 30 teams is unbelievable.
    In 69 that would have came in 3rd in 6 more games with 12 teams. In 70 2nd, 71-4th 14 teams, 72-4th 4games more, 73-6th 4gm more 16 teams, 74-7th, 75-9th with 3 teams at 268 or better with 18 teams and 80 games, 76-9th, 77-8th, 78-9th and we set record with 11-20 goal scorers including Park as sole defence.

See where I'm goin here, I would like more goals. I realize goals do not necessarily mean championships but key goals at key times do. With K in lineup we have 1 more chance at scoring those goals when needed.

In 78 we had 1-40 goal scorer and 10 -20 scorers(similar to now),with perhaps 1 more big scorer we might have beaten 'Them' because they had a 60 50 and 2 30 scorers. They ouscored us 359 to 333 on the season but the playoffs their big scorers scored and our 20 goal scorers didn't. To win you need to bury your chances and come playoffs your 20 goal scorers are not going to bury like they did all season. 1 goal every 4 games might mean an elimination, with the other team scoring.
    In round 2 last year, Crosby or Ov might have outscored us on their own the way they were playing. We need to have a sniper that can answer the call when it happens. While Kessel is not fully there yet I believe he will be one of the top shooters and I want him for rather than against me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I would add experience to the list. The Bruins are, overall, a very young team, and the added experience (particularly in the playoffs) for guys like Krejci, Wheeler (who hit the "rookie wall" terribly late last season), Lucic, Bitz, Hunwick, Stuart et al was invaluable. 

As for Sturm, IIRC, he's been pretty healthy through most of his career. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Scoring will not be an issue this season - Sturm will return to pick up a chunk of the goals (he was on pace for 30 last season, and he was out before our big run thru Nov. & Dec. Hopefully hes not hindered by the injury) Ryder nearly potted 30 last season - and he missed time, and he had more points than Kessel in the playoffs. We are extremely deep at offense and improved at defense. Not having Montador is an instant upgrade. Wheeler sounds as if he has figured out what it takes to make it thru a season and should improve with more size - unless he Bochensky's!
    Maybe I'm an optimistic homer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Yes, yes and yes. All these theories are missing one element. Injuries.
    You cannot go on " if this player does this and if that player does that ..." and don't say what if that player gets hurt....
    No4.Orr,  summed it up pretty well and no matter how you slice it we're a better team with Kessel in this lineup rather than out.
    On the other hand I do believe the Bruins will have another good season but cannot predict a cup final with the actual lineup (less Kessel).  There are many factors that have to fall into place besides the obvious ones.
    I hope I haven't scared anyone with my injury comment , all teams have to deal with them but some more than others.  I think we have pretty good depth to cover .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Mark Recchi (we'll have him for a full year Yes!), Bergeron (Really starting to look like the old Bergy) , Sobotka (Plays like a North American Nasty!) and Bitz (Stay away from the man in the corners and we'll have him for a full year!) are my STOP n SHOP picks to Click! 

The Unsung heros in the background. They usually get the 3rd star and sometimes the 2nd game star and that's OK. I don't mention Sturm, Lucic and Wheeler or Morris because teams will key on them with Kessel ad Krejci out for the begining I expect Sturm, Lucic and Wheeler to perform with pressure because there skilled.

Recchi, Sobotka, Bitz and yes a healthy Kobasew can sneak up on great teams like Pittsburgh. The Penquins are a good example they will have allot of trouble with the Bs 3rd and 4th lines. Pittsburghs 3rd and 4th lines aren't that good they played a beat up Canes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Whatever happened to the goals of yesteryear. 270 goals coming in 2nd in scoring with 30 teams is unbelievable. In 69 that would have came in 3rd in 6 more games with 12 teams. In 70 2nd, 71-4th 14 teams, 72-4th 4games more, 73-6th 4gm more 16 teams, 74-7th, 75-9th with 3 teams at 268 or better with 18 teams and 80 games, 76-9th, 77-8th, 78-9th and we set record with 11-20 goal scorers including Park as sole defence. See where I'm goin here, I would like more goals. I realize goals do not necessarily mean championships but key goals at key times do. With K in lineup we have 1 more chance at scoring those goals when needed. In 78 we had 1-40 goal scorer and 10 -20 scorers(similar to now),with perhaps 1 more big scorer we might have beaten 'Them' because they had a 60 50 and 2 30 scorers. They ouscored us 359 to 333 on the season but the playoffs their big scorers scored and our 20 goal scorers didn't. To win you need to bury your chances and come playoffs your 20 goal scorers are not going to bury like they did all season. 1 goal every 4 games might mean an elimination, with the other team scoring. In round 2 last year, Crosby or Ov might have outscored us on their own the way they were playing. We need to have a sniper that can answer the call when it happens. While Kessel is not fully there yet I believe he will be one of the top shooters and I want him for rather than against me.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Very interesting post !  Lets not forget that you can't score until you gain control of the puck. That team you mentioned in 78 was pretty good at it-

Sections
Shortcuts