Interesting fact.... Bruins - Serious Posters Only

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Interesting fact.... Bruins - Serious Posters Only

I put this on another thread and thought it might get lost there so here it is....

Last year through Oct 21, the Bruins started similar to this year with 2 wins and 5* losses (*losses and  OT losses combined for illustrative purposes). 

From Oct 22 - Feb 7 they went 27 - 5 arguably the best in hockey over that time.

From Feb 8 through the end of the season they went 24 -19.  Then we know the rest of the story. 

Perhaps that 27 -5 was an aberation and the true ability of this team is what we saw at the end of the year?   Food for thought.  Comments??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Interesting fact.... Bruins - Serious Posters Only

It's a long season.

Teams in any sport can ride momentum and lose it, the trick is to get on a roll at the right time and not lose the momentum too early.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, that's it. Not to bring baseball into this, but I've always thought that the limitations of the Moneyball philosophy had everything to do with guys who play to their average consistently.  Great.  They will lose every time to the team that plays like dirt early and gets hot late.  That other team will have a lower average over the season, but a higher one when it matters - head to head - while the moneyball team chugs along at the same basic rate.

That said, I take it as a relatively good sign that even in the 'down' period in the second half of last year, the Bruins were about .560.  If that's their average, it's a good take-off point for when they get hot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think its some where in between, during that torid stretch was also part of kessel's 19? game scoring streak, Krejci heated up and went on a tear, as did wheeler etc..We wont get into kessels merits as obviously everyone differs on opinions of his true ability.  That being said at the end of the season Krejci was slow, wheeler was non-existant and Lucic, and bergeron were starting to pick things up.. I think the team was better then they finished, but not as good as they played.  We lack that superstar player that the elite teams all have, we probably don't have the cap space, but we have the picks.. Reminds me alot of buffale with Briere and Drury etc.. Great team, great depth and capable of winning a cup, but everythings got to be right, guys have to be healthy and playing well.. We don't have a horse who can carry the team to wins ala Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby.. We need every guy to go out there and contribute, the bruins a team, not a few great players with dramatic drop off...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

I don't look at this team in terms of numbers but what it can do on the ice.  What I thought was crucially missing on the ice in the playoffs last season was the ability to get the ugly goals.  We had a great transition game and special teams were largely good enough but I didn't see the sustained forechecking pressure we used to be known for (hearkening back to the call, "THE B'S ARE BUZZING AROUND THE NET!")...  That's not to say we didn't have any of what it takes but just not enough, imho.  I thought I remember reading that Chiarelli would be going after more size, too, but I haven't been keeping up on everything.  I've just seen a few of the games so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from warreng. Show warreng's posts

I felt (especially last year) that the period from Nov-Jan is the time where if you're on top of your game you can make a serious push in the standings. Most teams are still searching for their identity and are still playing inconsistent hockey. After Mid-Jan, things get a lot tougher as teams start to jockey for playoff spots and the games are a lot more hotly contested.
    This is where the B's won the conference last year. They put up ungodly numbers through that stretch. Then when the games got tougher their play leveled off. There were signs that they were not equipped to make a deep playoff run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

rh19 - I'd say that this is true of every team.  This ain't basketball where you have to have that one big horse.  Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin, but it was Maxime Talbot and the surprisingly effective pairing of Gill and Scuderi that made the biggest difference against Detroit. The Wings have Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but Zetterberg didn't get the support he needed from the rest of the team. In fact, it was likely Chris Osgood who'd have won the Conn Smythe if Detroit had won game 7.  With the exception of Datsyuk, both those teams made the finals in large part because they were healthy - in hockey terms, at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BB7.. I think that those are teams with superstars though, and then a drop off, I am sure pittsburg has won games because Crosby/malkin has excelled, The dueling hatricks with caps pens comes to mind.  The caps have surely won games because Ovie has out scored entire teams etc.. There are nights when the team is off and yet that 1 or 2 guys can step up and win a game (Goalies obviously are an exception as they can always steal a game)..

The bruins do not have that guy is what I was getting at kryptically.. I think the bruins have the ability to place almost any guy on this team on line 1-4 and not suffer, Savard is great, but the drop from him, to krejci, to bergeron is not that significant...

The bruins don't have a team that half the guys are off one guys steps up.. but they do have the team that when the team is clicking and guys are playing well they can outmatch your team.. If Bergerons line shuts down Crosby Malkin, the bruins other 3 lines is better then the penguins other 3 lines.. etc..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

Honestly, i wouldnt worry about the poor start.....They finished with the one of the best records last year, and lost in the second round. I would rather start poor and finish off strong!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Interesting fact.... Bruins - Serious Posters Only:
    [QUOTE]I put this on another thread and thought it might get lost there so here it is.... Last year through Oct 21, the Bruins started similar to this year with 2 wins and 5* losses (*losses and  OT losses combined for illustrative purposes).  From Oct 22 - Feb 7 they went 27 - 5 arguably the best in hockey over that time. From Feb 8 through the end of the season they went 24 -19.  Then we know the rest of the story.  Perhaps that 27 -5 was an aberation and the true ability of this team is what we saw at the end of the year?   Food for thought.  Comments??
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, and like the playoffs last year and now, the BRUINS were playing hurt. Savard's injury came in post season. You know that Lucic smashed his finger on a few skulls earlier, and tried to play through it, and the Captain may be ailing as well. Nothing new about being in a funk, or the old injury bug keeping guys out, let's see how they deal with adversity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UConnYouCan. Show UConnYouCan's posts

My thoughts? Tim Thomas had the best season of his life last year and will be nowhere close to that this year. They still lack a premier goal scorer. (Was Kessel it? Probably not but we were sure better off with him). Look at the Top teams in the league. Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby. New York Rangers has Gaborik (he finally got out of Minnesota so people can now really appreciate the talent). Colorado will slow down tremendously the next few weeks you watch.  Calgary has Jerome Iginla. Edmonton doesn't really have anyone but I also don't see them as a threat in the West.  Chicago has Kane and Hossa. San Jose has Marleau, Heatley, and Thornton. Washington has Ovechkin.  You all probably new that but I am just pointing it out because the Bruins don't have that big name scorer. Just something to consider. And without Lucic and Savard I expect the Bruins to get buried in the East. They will not see a top 4 spot GUARANTEED.  With that being said, I am a Bruins fan and hope they can pull it off. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCup2010. Show BruinsCup2010's posts

Guys, Kessel is gone and Savard and Lucic are also, at least for the next month or so, but get over it. We still have a strong team. All the doubters out there don't realize the skill that is in Providence. Let's not forget about what Thomas has done for this team and what Chara and Julien can help orchestrate. The B's will be fine. They aren't going to win the Conference or maybe even get 100 points, but that hasn't done us any good this decade anyway. All those who are already saying-- 7 games into the season-- that they won't make the playoffs are way off. Just relax guys; it's October.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Uconn.. I think the Bruins will still probably will the division, giving us a top 4 seed..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from knewjax hockey. Show knewjax hockey's posts

I would rather the B's just barely make the 8th spot but play strong in the playoffs and make it all the way than play an awesome regular season and have the 1st spot for the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

it,s not panic time in this situation. learn from adversity, but not panic. let,s give some of these prov. guys some time in the big show. tighten up the defence, and play Julian,s system which is very suited for young players who play a team defensive 2- 2- 1 concept that prov. does. the bruins will not win or lose the Stanley cup by thanksgiving. but with early injury's we will see where we stand with the marchands, hamills, lentonins, ect.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Agree with Rolerhoky19. The NE division is awful so despite a tough season, B's can clinch the NE championship and probably finish 3rd in the conference.

BTW, the Leafs are still struggling so as Komisarek. The honeymoon is over in Toronto. Komisarek's career took a radical turnover when he got badly beaten by Lucic last season (November). He's never been the same player after that.. and Phil the thrill is not coming back before December (would have been the same in Boston). Smells like a good first round draft !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I think this team can stay close enough to make the playoffs provided it starts tonight.Please lets stop all the Kessel talk, he is know longer a Bruin and even if he still was Savard is the one who made Kessel much better.Lets wait and see what shakes out I think the'll be ok players have to step it up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I hope I'm worng but I've never been totally comfortable with Thomas.  2009 Vezina and his recent stats aside...he doesn't instill confidence in me.  It was a great situation when he was overacheiving compared to his contract but I also think he has played his best season.  Rewarding a player for past performace is very risky and I can see a day when PC won't be able to unload this contract even if he wanted to.  I really like TT and what he brings to the team but not for this salary.  I see him most effective when he is in a battle for playing time and splitting a season with the other guy.  When he was challenged for his job, he seemed to play his best.  This was his 1st NHL season when he went into it as the undisputed #1.  It doesn't seem to match his personality and the situation that brings out the best in him.  Again...for the sake of the B's...I hope I'm way off here. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The reality is that Pitt has Crosby, Malkin - The Caps have Ovechkin, Semin - Wings have Datsuyk and a bunch of gifted forwards and a great Dman. Those were 3 of the last four standing.

The last time Boston won the cup we had a couple of guys named Orr and Esposito, and played a very rugged physical brand of hockey.

What's so hard to figure out?

Get Kovalchuk and a couple of bangers up front.  Add some Dmen who will punish people. Our goaltending is good enough.  

Get the cup

If not, then be satisfied with good regular season play, and disappointing playoffs.
    I really hope B's management get's it done, right now they've got me scratching my head.... it can be very frustrating being a lifelong Bruins fan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from readingrocket17. Show readingrocket17's posts

we still came one game from the eastern conference championship. you make it seem like thats a bad season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Medford Mick..
    I would say chara and thomas are all stars.. not superstars..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Some good posts here. I'm all for the Bruins hitting their stride later in the year vs. SLIDING (play wise) into the playoffs for the most part last year. I believe they have the talent......last year their strength was in 4 lines that could score for most of the season, and a defence that played solid the majority of the time.

This year, the Olympics enter into the picture. It will be interesting to see how that affects the season after the long layoff. I still think this is a team to compete with the best of them.......if they play their style of hockey for the full 60 mins.

Sections
Shortcuts