Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecb19. Show ecb19's posts

Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?

I had high hopes for him coming off is WHL scoring title in 06/07 but since then is game has dropped dramatically.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DARVISH55. Show DARVISH55's posts

Re: Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?

In Response to Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?:
    [QUOTE]I had high hopes for him coming off is WHL scoring title in 06/07 but since then is game has dropped dramatically.
    Posted by ecb19[/QUOTE]

I mean it's interesting you say that, in light of recent injuries and the call ups they made over Hammill. They must still not think he's developing into his game... Having said that, he is only 21. Hes shown he CAN compete at this level, so i wouldnt write him off just yet.

Im guessing another reason they didnt call him up was to keep his potential fresh to use as trade bait if needed? Just an assumption

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The other reason for not calling him up is he has 1 goal and 9 assists in 17 games.  I don't think he even had that goal yet when Krejci caught the flu. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

short answer is no

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Zach Hammill's defense, he has been injured the past two years.  He had an excellent preseason.  If you follow Krejci's development, one would find similar comparisons to Hammill.  That said, I can say quite clearly I did not like the pick at 7 or 8 or what it was a the time, the Bruins draft board was underestimating Krejci's development.  There were so many more promising players to pick at that point.  Oh well, that is why they get the big bucks.  Colbourne looks very like an excellent pick at this point.  Bergeron should have been a 1st pick. Blah Blah Blah. All said and done, give the kid (Hammill) some time to develop.  I always think what I was doing at 21.  Not the same! Ha.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

In Response to Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?:
    [QUOTE]I had high hopes for him coming off is WHL scoring title in 06/07 but since then is game has dropped dramatically.
    Posted by ecb19[/QUOTE]
    Let's be real. Hamill is being groomed for center ice, how does he break in with Savard/Bergeron/Kreji/begin/ and Sabotka. He is learning more in Providence, and has played well .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The few games I saw the P-Bruins play he was invisible but on a bad team. All his line-mates were called up due to the injuries the Bruins had.
    I like what I saw from him in preseason,  nifty and smart but he's not strong enough on the puck and not a good skater. 
    In the NHL at the center position he'll be eaten up. Sobotka is not that big but he's very strong on the puck and when he hits (or gets hit) it's like hitting a rock, he's solid.  I can't say the same for Hamill.
    If by next season he doesn't develop these factors of his game he'll be a career AHLer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecb19. Show ecb19's posts

In Response to Re: Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?:
    [QUOTE]In Zach Hammill's defense, he has been injured the past two years.  He had an excellent preseason.  If you follow Krejci's development, one would find similar comparisons to Hammill.  That said, I can say quite clearly I did not like the pick at 7 or 8 or what it was a the time, the Bruins draft board was underestimating Krejci's development.  There were so many more promising players to pick at that point.  Oh well, that is why they get the big bucks.  Colbourne looks very like an excellent pick at this point.  Bergeron should have been a 1st pick. Blah Blah Blah. All said and done, give the kid (Hammill) some time to develop.  I always think what I was doing at 21.  Not the same! Ha.
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecb19. Show ecb19's posts

I remember watching the draft and hoping Columbus would pass on Jakub Voráček at # 7.  I keep checking Providence stats to see if his are getting better but the aren't.  Maybe having Boychuk and Marchand back will help.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan76. Show bruinsfan76's posts

I to think Hammill is a bust but you have to remember that,that was the weakest draft in years the only guy's that we could of got was,Sutter(11)and Perron(26)much better than Hammill espesially Perron.At #8 he should of been ready for at least 3rd line duty but he is to small and i'm thinking injury prone.Another good one i'm hearing about is the Canadiens pick McDonagh but they traded him and Higgins to the Rangers for Gomez and a 7.5MILLION$ contract!!Good job Bob you make some of our older GM's(not gonna mention any names!!)look like genius!!Had to throw that in for the TROLLS!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjake5236. Show emjake5236's posts

he reminds me of krecj in a way. But not sure if his game will be able to translate. If you remember this is not chiarellis pick though....he came on after the draft. I like colbourne, i think he projects nicely on this team. At this point Hamill doesnt give me high hopes, use him as trade bait because we are set at that position anyways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He's still interesting, so no, he's not a bust yet.  Could be one, sure.  My guess is that, if he ever does make it, it will be the result of a long, slow, patient process where he spends at least two healthy seasons in the minors, puts on about 20lbs of muscle, gets just a little bit quicker, and manages to keep his confidence throughout the process.  His game is in his head and hands, so he needs just enough size and speed not to get rolled up.

I don't know if he'll ever be a Bruin though.  Looking at tonight's lineup, it's clear that vets don't lose their jobs.  Sobotka hasn't looked any more out of place than Bitz or Paille during his latest call-up, but Bitz is on the top line and Paille is in the lineup because they have jobs until he proves, definitively, that they should sit while he plays.  If Hamill wants to play here, he'll have to take a job from Bergeron, Krejci, or Savard - or, on the off chance one of those three goes away soon, he'd have to compete against Colborne, Caron, Sauve, Marchand, and Sobotka.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Hamill might just be packaged in a deal.  He does still have some value since he was a 1st rounder.
    BookBoy,  if he add 20lbs he will have even more difficulty with his skating .  It's like you said, a long patient process.
    You saw Wheeler at training camp and the 1st 10games due to his bulking up the effect it had on his skating. He has come along now though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I meant 20Lbs over 2 years - because he's filling out - not in 4 months.  Big difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My short answer is 95% chance a bust.

I didn't see anything in preseason that impressed me.
    Right now Marchand has 11 points in 8 games, plus 8.
    Sobotka has 10 pts in 6 games, plus 6.
    Hammill has 10 pts in 17 games, he's a -5.

True, his style of play develops more slowly, but I think he's done.

He seemed to have declined in the juniors since he was drafted and nothing is coming together for him in the NHL.

Where is that guy who said he would be playing in the NHL for sure *LAST* year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupportor. Show Gardensupportor's posts

You mean another first round draft pick might not pan out for the Bruins???

Your kidding!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

He's not a bust quite yet because he had a good preseason but god, the management was drunk that night I swear. We could have done a lot better than him at number 8..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

hes spent a lot of his time in the AHL injured. point being will he ever be a 8 overall draft pick worthy guy, probably not, is it time to officially call him a bust? absolutely not

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Hang on guys! Kris Versteeg was a supposed BUST TOO! Let's give the 21 yr old a chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Is it time to declare Zach Hammill a bust?:
    [QUOTE]He's not a bust quite yet because he had a good preseason but god, the management was drunk that night I swear. We could have done a lot better than him at number 8.Posted by fireballer58[/QUOTE]

Until he plays in the NHL how can anyone say he's a bust. We need to see him up against NHL players having said that I agree with you The Bruins could have done better with that pick at #8. He's still young and he needs experience with better players.

Sections
Shortcuts