Is PC braindead? $4 million a year for Wideman?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupportor. Show Gardensupportor's posts

Wideman was expected to get around 3 million in arbitration and PC signs him for 4 million for 4 years (technically $15.75 mil) No wonder Wideman settled early!!

Does PC understand how a salary cap works? God he is awful at tying up too little talent for way too much coin. The Bruins are never going to advance in the playoffs with his philosophy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

Ya i know i agree and they call the Bruins cheap, they are not cheap just stupid 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins111. Show bruins111's posts

where do you take your source?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupporter. Show Gardensupporter's posts

Hey idiot, get your own screen name.

Reality is--very average puck moving D-men are getting north of 3 Million/Year.   I was looking at about $3.5 Million,  but everyone seems to be getting $500K - $1 Million more than you'd expect.

The bar got set by the obscene Brian Campbell contract....the fact is--no one is out there for  $3.9 M who would be as good as Wideman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Considering Finger is getting 3.5, Gilbert is getting 4, and Commodore is getting 3.75, it is fair to pay Wideman 3.9.  It is called market value.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/07/21/bruins_wideman/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ripley126. Show ripley126's posts

I think the important thing is that we have signed him to 4 years. This year he may be overpayed but by the end of his contract he may be underpayed. He made a huge leap last year in terms of development and if he continues to improve steadily then by the last season he may be a bargain. There are lesser D-men out there signed to more $$$. Wideman had most of the cards in this negotiation. He knew that he would do well in arbitration (can you say Jeff Finger...i knew you could).
    PC got another deal done long before camp and made the player happy. In time, players will want to play for the B's because we have begun to treat them fairly. If this was a few years ago, the negotiations would have been bitter...Wiseman would have won arbitration...and we would have traded him.
    I'm hoping that he becomes our quarterback of the powerplay in the future. Who would you rather swap him for that is paid in comperable dollars?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ripley126. Show ripley126's posts

[Quote]I'm not seeing anything on this Wideman signing. Why would they sign him before the arbitration date anyway? The clock starts ticking to reduce payroll as soon as this is done (48 hours)
    I agree that Wideman is no top 10 defenseman, he's better than I thought he would be and he skates and shoots well but he is subject to serious brain-fade when pressured and seems to whiff with some frequency for his passes when clearing the zone.
    He's a 3-3.5 mil Dman tops, even in the inflationary market of this year.[/Quote]

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the deal has not been officailly announced because they may be using the time to line up a deal to dump salary within the deadline that comes into effect after the deal is ratified.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3639358. Show user_3639358's posts

wideman is worth whatever it takes to get him back

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/07/21/bruins_wideman/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobthebruin. Show bobthebruin's posts

I like the Wideman signing, he's only going to get better.
    As for the cap, I can't help but think that Peter Charelli has something in mind. I think he's got his own "Game-plan"...you don't become an NHL GM without having foresight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobthebruin. Show bobthebruin's posts

I like the Wideman signing, he's only going to get better.
    As for the cap, I can't help but think that Peter Charelli has something in mind. I think he's got his own "Game-plan"...you don't become an NHL GM without having foresight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

You guys stop your whining.  You complained whern the B's didn't want to sign players at high prices and now you complain because they signed a great up and coming defensemen.

Wideman would easily get 3.9 somewhere else and then who would we have left that has his speed and puck handling skills?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucic007. Show lucic007's posts

3.94 is too much for this guy. 3 million max it should have been. I think our GM got fleeced in these "negotiations". Wideman is also not a top 10 D-man. More like top 20 to be realistic. I really like the length of the deal (4 years),but 3.94 IMO is too much.

ONE other thing it does serve is that other UFA's will see we're not cheap with the cash.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macinr. Show Macinr's posts

I think that Term is the important thing here.  $3.9M may sound rich based on 07/08 performance, but he has great upside and $3.9M could easily turn into a great bargain for this guy in years 2 through 4 of this contract (possible this season as well!).  His offense abilities are there, and my bet is that PC is banking on the B's coaching staff to help him shore up in the defensive end.  Offence is a gift, defense can be learned. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macinr. Show Macinr's posts

Ryder is to replace Murray.  Same price, for hopefully same output (Ryder is a 30 goal performer).  Much younger age.  Maybe Ryder's not fleet footed, but Murray wasn't exactly beating out icing on a nightly basis.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveGir. Show DaveGir's posts

PC has indicated this is a premature announcement, however the thing about the deal if the money and years is correct, is that the last 2 years are into the period where Wideman would have been an unrestricted free agent. With a little more progress, no doubt Wideman would be getting far more than $4 mil a year on the unrestricted market 2 summers from now -  so the $4 mil for years 3 and 4 are going to look like a tremendous bargain.

Cripes, Rob Blake is now 38, and he just signed a 1 year, $5 mil contract with San Jose. He was a heck of a player a decade ago, but 31 points and -19 apparently is worth $5 mil now.

A deal like this, where you lock up a good defenseman for (approximately) ages 25 through 29, really pretty much the top years of athleticism, I think is a good one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

[Quote]I'm not seeing anything on this Wideman signing. Why would they sign him before the arbitration date anyway? The clock starts ticking to reduce payroll as soon as this is done (48 hours)
    I agree that Wideman is no top 10 defenseman, he's better than I thought he would be and he skates and shoots well but he is subject to serious brain-fade when pressured and seems to whiff with some frequency for his passes when clearing the zone.
    He's a 3-3.5 mil Dman tops, even in the inflationary market of this year.[/Quote]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AvZCdAvnV8EC65zGwVpr1d97vLYF?slug=txbruinswideman&prov=st&type=lgns

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

I can,t express this enough on this site ... he has no clue at all on cap matters he was the 4th choice for this g.m. job . and he is way over his head just they way jacobs likes them .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

I can,t express this enough on this site ... he has no clue at all on cap matters he was the 4th choice for this g.m. job . and he is way over his head just they way jacobs likes them .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonnewsie. Show Bostonnewsie's posts

Don't think Wideman is anywhere worth the $4 mil figure. He played well last year but I thought he made as many glaring errors too. He also benefited from playing with Chara. I do agree, that I have been shocked at some of the signing figures for "Average" defensemen (Gilbert, Commodore etc.) so it is true that is must be "what the market will bear at this time"  Makes it difficult to get that top forward we want, now we are in the position of dumping someone "salary" wise to stay within the Cap. I'm concerned about losing all the veteran leadership on this team. You have to have a winning combination of youthful excitement and skilled veterans (DETROIT)not just a bunch of young sharpshooters (Penguins) There has to be leadership in the lockerRoom on and off the ice. I'd like to see what Manny can do this year although I respect Tim Thomas and his skill. I do think the team is improved. I am a Bruins fan from outside the city and state, but  I follow the team closely. I think we'll make the playoffs, but anything else is a "if the stars align"..............

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

this is a sign and trade.......... if wideman had won 3 mil. in arbitration he would have been gone anyway. so, what has peter the slow have up his sleave? well it will have to do with dumping salary....... wideman, murrey, ferance, and a goalie.(you pick,em)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Sign and trade? 3.8 for a puckmoving d-man is awesome...in two years it will be phenomenal. Another great move by Pete misunderstood by the mass of hockey illiterate boston natives

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[Quote]Sign and trade? 3.8 for a puckmoving d-man is awesome...in two years it will be phenomenal. Another great move by Pete misunderstood by the mass of hockey illiterate boston natives[/Quote]

Good post.  One Question for the nay sayers why do you think he would have gotten 3 Million in arbitration.  Can you say Tom Gilbert similiar numbers and not as much upside $4 million per season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

look it,s not about the talent, don,t you see that by now ..... it.s about the coin with jacobs.. peter the slow sucks.. and your not far behind either,  genius  ........

Sections
Shortcuts