It is unbelievable that...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

It is unbelievable that...

Colborne, Caron, and Seguin will be competing against each other for a spot (or more) on next year's roster. In other words, the B's have 3 promising first-round picks vying to make the team next year. Combined with the core the Bruins already have in place, even if no further changes are made, other than signing Stuart (which appears to be close), the Bruins are definitely a Cup contender. That is very exciting. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: It is unbelievable that...

Yes but there's no opening in the roster for Caron or Colborne.  Who do you suggest they replace in the lineup?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

This is the only scenario I can see to open up a spot: Colborne impresses so much so that they let Campbell walk and give Joe the 4th line center job...

I'm not saying I think that'll happen, but that's the only possible switch I see that could possibly happen...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

From what I read today on Kalman's site, Colborne is willing to play ANY position.

I'd happily give him a shot in Ryder's position

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The only player of Caron/Colborne/Sauve that has the slight possibility of cracking the lineup this year is Caron. Hamill should not go back down to the AHL it's a waste he should be thrown out with the big boys to see what he can do surrounded by better talent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: It is unbelievable that...:
    Yes but there's no opening in the roster for Caron or Colborne.  Who do you suggest they replace in the lineup?
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Thornton, Campbell, Pialle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Posted by CarolinaClamMan

I'm not convinced that Ryder nor Wheeler is on this team start September camp. Since Wheeler has filed for arbitration it opens up a second window of buyouts. It's been noted, however, that PC does not want to do any buyouts but this development camp along with Wheelers pending hearing it may change things.

I believe that their is more than one spot open. No matter what i read, hear, or see i know Tyler Seguin is on the team. Marco Sturm is on long-term in-active, and Marc Savard may be traded.

So you may be looking at these possible forwards:

??-Bergeron-Horton
    Lucic-Krejci-??
    Recchi-Seguin-??
    Paille-Campbell-Thorton

The 4th line is basically set in stone. Due to some possible changes their may be up to 3 possible spots open for the beginning of the season. One spot, in my opinion, may be filled via a trade (Tim Thomas). This leaves 2 open spots for rookies. I would not be surprised if we see Caron, and Colborne make the big club.

I would love to see two highly skilled guys like Colborne and Krejci on the same line, can become a very dangerous creative scoring line. I would stick Caron on the left side with Bergeron and Horton, a pretty big line that can snipe, hit, and create a lot of offense. There's no doubt on my mind that Mark Recchi is going to ride shotgun with Tyler Seguin. Who else would be better at playing the role of teacher/mentor? Recchi will help tremendously with the growth and matuarity and the transition of Seguin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I know people around here either love or really dislike Wheeler, but I don't see Caron, Colborne, or Sauve as a better option to start the year, unless Wheeler has a really bad summer and comes to camp unprepared, or one of those three come to camp and blow everyone away.  If the Bruins really want to give one of them a chance they could just walk away from the Wheeler decision, which has happened before. As for Ryder, I can't see him getting traded because I don't know if anyone would take him. Plus this year is a contract year for him, and I would say 20-30 goals is a reasonable expectation for him this year. I'd much rather have the 3 of them, along with Hamill and Marchand, bond and develop in Providence.  I'd love to see how far a top line of Caron-Colborne-Sauve could go in the AHL.  Then if an injury comes up or some really struggles, call the most productive/best fit up.  Not that they aren't talented enough to be on the team, but I'd rather keep them in the AHL for the year to develop and prolong their ELC, so that next year when Ryder, Sturm, and possibly Recchi are gone, we have three guys that are fully prepared to step in (not to mention with low salaries).  They didn't rush Rask, and I think it really paid off, so hopefully the same can happen for these three guys.

Opening night (barring injuries), I see the roster looking like this:

Lucic-Savard-Horton
    Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder
    Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi
    Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Chara-Boychuk
    Seidenberg-Stuart
    Hunwick-Ference(Possible Thomas return could bump one of these two)

Rask
    (backup)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to It is unbelievable that...:
    Colborne, Caron, and Seguin will be competing against each other for a spot (or more) on next year's roster. In other words, the B's have 3 promising first-round picks vying to make the team next year. Combined with the core the Bruins already have in place, even if no further changes are made, other than signing Stuart (which appears to be close), the Bruins are definitely a Cup contender. That is very exciting. 
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I love your enthusiasm but I do not see how having 3 "promising" 1st round draft picks vying for a spot makes the Bruins "definitely" a Cup contender. We have no idea how these guys would play in the NHL if they do make the team...and the best of them all--Seguin-- is still only 18 and is unlikely to make much of an impact in his first season.

The Bruins have some very good pieces in place (as long as they don't trade Savard), but they still haven't proven they can get past the 2nd round of the playoffs with the team they have.

you're making a pretty big leap to say they're Cup contenders, especially when a whole lotta teams that were better than them last year are coming back just as strong or stronger.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves is my point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think it's unbelievable that the B's have decent prospects who could make the team this year, but have already given almost all of the spots away.

I'd rather see Colborne and Caron cycling in and out of a third line position than Recchi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

there will be injuries that will be the time to shine for these guys

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I don't really see why everyone thinks Sturm will be out "long term". He's going to miss about a month, maybe 10-12 games. Not really long enough to find a replacement with his money, as whoever replaces him is going to have to be moved within a few weeks of the season starting

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

The only player of Caron/Colborne/Sauve that has the slight possibility of cracking the lineup this year is Caron. Hamill should not go back down to the AHL it's a waste he should be thrown out with the big boys to see what he can do surrounded by better talent.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

SanDog,

I usually agree with you but on this post I disagree.  I suggest that Caron and Colbourne are certain to make an impact this year (hopefully a positive one).  I believe Sauve will probably get an opportunity to make an impact but I am not as sure about him.  To begin, I believe there is a 50/50 chance that Caron or Colbourne make the team out of camp with Caron being the more likely of the two.  I believe that either way each will play a major roll on this team due to inevitable injuries.  They are already ahead of injury replacements, M. Lehtonen, G. Lefebvre, D. Larman, and T. Whitfield.  I believe they will be given every opportunity to pass B. Marchand and Z. Hamill.  Between these players 43 GP were accounted for.  I would argue that number would've been igher if we had more quality depth last year.

I also believe that the team will be tempted to extend the opportunities for these players if they prove worthy when they get into the lineup.  In order to extend the opportunity you can easily make Thornton, Paille or even Ryder and Wheeler Healthy scratches.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: It is unbelievable that... : SanDog, I usually agree with you but on this post I disagree.  I suggest that Caron and Colbourne are certain to make an impact this year (hopefully a positive one).  I believe Sauve will probably get an opportunity to make an impact but I am not as sure about him.  To begin, I believe there is a 50/50 chance that Caron or Colbourne make the team out of camp with Caron being the more likely of the two.  I believe that either way each will play a major roll on this team due to inevitable injuries.  They are already ahead of injury replacements, M. Lehtonen, G. Lefebvre, D. Larman, and T. Whitfield.  I believe they will be given every opportunity to pass B. Marchand and Z. Hamill.  Between these players 43 GP were accounted for.  I would argue that number would've been igher if we had more quality depth last year. I also believe that the team will be tempted to extend the opportunities for these players if they prove worthy when they get into the lineup.  In order to extend the opportunity you can easily make Thornton, Paille or even Ryder and Wheeler Healthy scratches.
    Posted by RickyHussle

We don't have the cap space to apply "healty scratches"  Ryders a $4 cap hit scratch or not, we can't call up a player with out the needed cap room..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think that there is going to be space for the young guys when the season starts, because the Bruins are going to have to move some salary guys, even if they have to give them away.  I don't know why the alarm bells aren't ringing since we literally have 2.7 mil left to sign Seguin, Wheeler, Stuart, Campbell, and McQuaid.

I think Chia has made a lot of good moves, but this is truly a cap crisis.  They have no choice but to move Savard/Wheeler/Ryder and Thomas for whatever they can get...and all of the other GM's know we're desperate.

So, while I would love to have Colborne, Caron, and Sauve develop in Providence for at least half a season, I think they we need to be called up to replace the holes on both wings.  I actually don't see any other way...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: It is unbelievable that... : We don't have the cap space to apply "healty scratches"  Ryders a $4 cap hit scratch or not, we can't call up a player with out the needed cap room..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the cap but I thought that only the top 20 contracts on the roster on a given day are accounted into the cap hit.  If this is the case you would not change your cap hit if Wheeler, Paille or Ryder were on the bench.  You also would need only a very small amount of cap room available to scratch Thornton in favor of one of the kids.

Let me know if I'm wrong.  I have been before.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: It is unbelievable that... : Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the cap but I thought that only the top 20 contracts on the roster on a given day are accounted into the cap hit.  If this is the case you would not change your cap hit if Wheeler, Paille or Ryder were on the bench.  You also would need only a very small amount of cap room available to scratch Thornton in favor of one of the kids. Let me know if I'm wrong.  I have been before.
    Posted by RickyHussle

The cap is calculated daily based on all rostered players.

Injured players still count against the cap unless they are on LTIR, guys out for say 2 weeks are still counted though..

I agree with your line of thinking, only suited players should count, but the cap is calculated on game days and non game days just the same..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Someone said TT will be traded, I guess that is where Colborne will play.

Our cap if Cap geek is dead on, means there has to be movement off our roster by the return of Sturm from LTI, or that Stuart and Wheeler are gone. So there may be spots available.

Camp is out as Wh and Seg are 2 spots for FW, Sturm replacement would be better utilized with youth.

It is time for Pc to Evaluate!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, and it's that day by day math that let's you give a few of the Providence guys some gas money and some NHL games.  Teams have really started to exploit the idea of calling a guy up on game day, then sending him down at the end of that game, then calling him up for the next game on game day.  So, every game that a max-salary rookie plays costs about $5000 against your salary cap.  If they can allocate even $100K for that purpose, you could sit Ryder, Thornton, or any other veteran, and let the rookie play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

From what I read today on Kalman's site, Colborne is willing to play ANY position. I'd happily give him a shot in Ryder's position
    Posted by davecarr

LOL.... he said can also play goalie.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I think it's unbelievable that the B's have decent prospects who could make the team this year, but have already given almost all of the spots away. I'd rather see Colborne and Caron cycling in and out of a third line position than Recchi.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I totally agree with caron/colborne over recchi. All of that Recchi/mentor/seguin stuff is really overrated. What Steven Stamkos has become has nothing to do with tyler seguin

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

dc-bruins-fan...no mean to insult you but its about time you realize it ....I have been saying it since 2008.....

Stanley cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

dump ryder in the minors then have caron and colborne  battle for that spot 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

dump ryder in the minors then have caron and colborne  battle for that spot 
    Posted by bigjeezy

why dump ryder in the minors and hand one of them the spot, they can all battle for it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SC&O - every time you post I look at that bucket of chicken and laugh.

In this situation, the Bruins could have done two things:

1. Sign Recchi, sign Thornton, sign Paille and go into training camp with what amounts to a full roster if they don't walk away on Wheeler or Cambell and don't make a deal or demote someone.  Benefits: Ensures that the Bruins have NHL caliber players at all forward positions (please reserve your insults for Wheeler, Ryder et al until after the post).  Rookies have to play their way on to the team.  Most prospects will have to spend some time in the AHL getting stronger and adapting to playing against men.  Defers UFA status for prospects.  Maintains depth in the organization.  Liabilities: Pushes cap commitments to the brink. Makes it more difficult to transition rookies over time.  Limits the team's growth potential b/c so many players are known quantities who are unlikely to suddenly find new gears.  If rookies earn spots, or even fight to a dead heat with a veteran, the team must basically give away assets for free or worse pay other teams to complete deals.  This is the current strategy.

2. Let several veterans walk to make room for prospects, rely on internal competition to drive the best to the top, and sign Satan or a similarly unemployed veteran if the prospects don't deliver.  Benefits: At worst, prospects who are close to making a real contribution learn on the job in the NHL.  They develop faster.  You force your coach to take chances with kids in key roles.  You might save cap space.  Liabilities: Rushing rookies can undermine their confidence.  Rushing rookies can inflate their confidence unduly (Wheeler syndrome).  If the rookies don't impress, you have to scramble to sign the best available re-treads. If the rookies replace $1M veterans, you only save $190K per rookie, and if they hit their bonuses, you burn through that savings four-fold, with significant cap implications for the following season.  You have less depth in the organization because bubble rookies are playing not developing in the minors.

Personally, I prefer strategy one.  I'd rather have to find ways to ditch toxic assets than ways to acquire high-value ones in a highly competitive market.  If that means I have to go to the cryptkeeper and say I'm sending Ryder to the minors, we're eating $4M, so be it.  And if he decides to recoup that debt by removing the GM, well, so be it.  Courage of your convictions etc.  I'm sure Chiarelli could go back to the agent world and make a living.

Sections
Shortcuts