Jack Edwards: Yea or Nay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Jack Edwards: Yea or Nay?

Watch more non Bruins games. 

Jack is deliberately playing to the casual fan, and those who have a low sense of humor. He's quite good at it. 

And he may have a half hundred ready lines for every situation, but good god have you heard the psychopath who uses "knifes at it", "knifes the puck", "stabbing away at" more often than he says a player or teams name? I swear he's #1 on my list of famous people likely to be a serial killer.

I think him and Brick make a great team, not to everyones taste, but no one will be. 

In Response to Jack Edwards: Yea or Nay?:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one out there who thinks Jack Edwards is unlistenable? What does everyone else think?
    Posted by ctbruin[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Good points both of you. I noticed he tends to do that during slow parts of the game where the two teams are sleepwalking through center ice and keep turning the puck over by accident and not good play of the opponent. 

It's not that the tangent's aren't interesting, they just aren't timely. I'd love to see Jack do a weekly hockey show with various guest that just discussed off ice stuff. 

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards: Yea or Nay?:
    [QUOTE]Jack Edwards knows the players of both teams, as mutant points out, and he is competant in describing what's going on.  He keeps up with the quick action.  And his odd phrases are interesting-- though I have yet to figure out what a "forearm shiver" is.  Anyone know? The thing that really irks me is when Jack and Brick go off on a rambling tangent while the action is going.  "Say, Brick, what do you think of the draft system as it now stands?"    "Well, I think blah blah blah..."  "And what does this mean for the future of hockey?"   "Well, all things considered, it could mean....more blah..." HELLO?  THERE'S A GAME GOING ON HERE.    Right in front of your garrulous palavering faces. THE GAME IS WHAT MATTERS!!!
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Yay

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfbruins. Show mfbruins's posts

Jack is the best!  He is always the voice of the bruins in Canada when they show highlights.  I wish we had someone even close to him doing the National broadcasts in Canada.  It just doesn't get any better than Jack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jvcardo. Show jvcardo's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't like Dale Arnold (aka Ned Flanders) and I didn't think there could be anyone worse.  Then they come up with Jack.  I just don't think he knows that much about hockey.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head for me.  I never thought I would want Dale Arnold back, but Edwards makes me pray he comes back.  I have trouble enjoying the game listening to him but keep the sound on because hockey is not the same without hearing pucks hitting the blade and glass rattling checks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]Watch more non Bruins games.  Jack is deliberately playing to the casual fan, and those who have a low sense of humor. He's quite good at it.And he may have a half hundred ready lines for every situationnot to everyones taste, but no one will be.In Response to Jack Edwards: Yea or Nay?:Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

Watch more non Bruins games if you can. Having the Center Ice NHL package and literally fall asleep to non Bruins games and there in between period breaks.

Pathetic and boring although Joe Beninati and John Forslund (when he is on Versus and not being a Hurricane homer) are comparable. Jack compared to the rest of the league is very good. Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas and others They'd put a four year old that just ate 5 candy bars too sleep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RLSJR65. Show RLSJR65's posts

Nay. Nay. Nay.  He announces like a 7 year old would watching a game.  He's in awe of every player.

Dit Clapper:  For an option DVR the game and start it 7 seconds late to sync up with the radio broadcast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmatador1225. Show elmatador1225's posts

I think he is good.  I mean there are better anouncers, but he brings a type of character to the game.  Also he is a area native so that adds to it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUSA. Show BruinsUSA's posts

Jack is very entertaining (and a UNH Wildcat), some of the things he says are absolutely hilarious that no other announcer can even come close to replicating. And if you've noticed in his eyes no Bruin has ever lost a fight, it's always a Bruin hammering the opponent it's hysterical. Gotta love Jack and some of his nonsense.

I do wish Dave Goucher would get a bit more recognition. He does an excellent job, it was great to see him on the NHL network show last year, seems like a great guy who has worked really hard to get to where he's at. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

[QUOTE]Dave Goucher • Bob Beers!!
    Posted by ThirdJersey[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I pause the game and after about 7 seconds (for the delay) I synch it up with the radio. Edwards has become unlistenable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bullfrogh. Show bullfrogh's posts

Nay
    I turn down the volume and listen to Fred on WHDH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from edeskankus. Show edeskankus's posts

Big upgrade from the company shill dale arnold, but that's also like being the world's tallest midget. He needs to break up the repetition of his use of hockey idioms - indirect pass, off the half wall, 200 foot clear. We could do much worse. Criticism should be reserved for the team at this point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Jack Edwards is a great play by play man. His enthusiasm really keeps the game intersting especially with how theBruins are playing right now. Sure he makes a few obvious mistakes but so does everyone else. HIs enthusiasm really draws me into the game. Dale Arnold was terrible. He put me to sleep.
    Posted by skijumper[/QUOTE]

Glad that Skijumper pointed out the most important thing: He IS a great play by play guy in THE hardest sport there is to call. Everyone loved Kusack's iconic voice, but he was often 3 steps behind the play on the ice (especially as he got older), Dale Arnold often seemed uninterested in the finer points of the game...but Edwards--his homerism not the issue I'm talking about here--is THE BEST I've heard in years on calling accurately the play AS IT HAPPENS, and that is NOT easy to do.

Try this experiment: Listen to Edwards' call of the game w/out looking at the screen and see if you can create the image in your mind as if listening on the radio. I guarantee you you'll gain a greater appreciation for the speed and accuracy with which he calls a game. It's an art, an he excells at it.

All that being said, it IS also fair to accuse him of blatant homerism and he often goes over the top in his exclamations for Bruin goals/wins. When the B's came back and won against Ottawa earlier this year he was WAY over the top, yelling "Bruins! Hearts of Lions!"..granted, it was a nice come from behind win in the last 2 minutes but then they won in a SO, and you would have thought they'd just won game 7 of the Cup finals from how over the top he was. Annoying to say the least.

So: Play by play guy: Top notch.
    Side commentary/observations: Toadying, cloying, annoying.

I'll still take him over Dale Arnold any day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ditclapper. Show ditclapper's posts

[QUOTE]Nay. Nay. Nay.  He announces like a 7 year old would watching a game.  He's in awe of every player. Dit Clapper:  For an option DVR the game and start it 7 seconds late to sync up with the radio broadcast.
    Posted by RLSJR65[/QUOTE]

That will not work. The radio is about 6 or 7 seconds ahesd of the HD video.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

NO-ONE was as bad as Bob Cole for being one-sided!!!  He was the biggest Habs fan of all time and when he called the games in Montreal it was sickening to listen to.  They should retire his microphone and raise it to the rafters along with Richards jersey!!  In saying that....he was a great play-by-play guy, probably the best ever!!  I just couldn't stand how pro Montreal he was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from daPope. Show daPope's posts

I watched the NESN first Bruin's game (which was also Mario's first Pens game) last night.  Fred did play by play, Johhnie who seemed to really want to be gone from there and Turk did the color.  You can't get 3 bigger homers in one booth than that, BUT Fred called the game and Johnnie and Derek did what color needed to be done.  The two motormouths we have now are (as somebody mentioned) playing to the casual fan.  I can take Jack, but jeezus I would like to cram something in Brick's mouth.  There are moving pictures on the screen.  I saw what just happened.  I don't need to know what icing is for the 5th time in a game.  I don't need a telestrater to show me too many men on the ice from 3 different angles. 
    But that is the way it is in 2009.  Listen to any sports broadcast here in the good old USA.  It is all the same;  nonstop chatter and trivial esoteric blah blah that never stops.  I ask:  What is wrong with a little dead air?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

He's original and one of a kind.  When he gets really going and excited, it's very much like a kid at Christmas.  How Brick works with him all the time is beyond me.

Sections
Shortcuts