Jack Edwards...love em or hate em..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Birdcaron. Show Birdcaron's posts

Jack Edwards...love em or hate em..

good article...

http://bingobar.blogspot.com/2010/04/jack-edwardslove-em-or-hate-em.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Jack Edwards...love em or hate em..

He is the absolute worst I have ever heard..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

I think he is highly entertaining.  Definitely has a passion for the game.  I can see why some might hate him though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards...love em or hate em..:
    I think he is highly entertaining.  Definitely has a passion for the game.  I can see why some might hate him though
    Posted by gapc

I think he is a total clown who at times lacks general hockey knowledge.. I am not a Bruins fan whatsoever.. but i love Brickley. Also loved Fred Cusick and I guess was spoiled. He was aweseome (ditto Bob Wilson).. I didn't think the Bruins could get worse than Dale Arnold until along came Edwards and his yellow teeth..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

If you listen to other play-by-play guys Jack Edwards really isn't that bad.  He gives a good flow to the game, he has little catchphrases that, like him or not, you remember, he very rarely stutters or screws up, and he's not afraid to question bad calls.

I can't remember what team he calls (maybe the Caps) but every goal the play-by-play guy yells "scores" in the highest most annoying pitch ever.  The Pens guy is pretty damn good I think.

Anyways, sure Jack might sound like an idiot when he gets overzealous, but I'd rather that then him have no emotion at all.

It is funny though when he gets going and Brick has to reel him back in haha...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

And I'm just glad his teeth are reppin Bruins colors haha...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

If you listen to other play-by-play guys Jack Edwards really isn't that bad.  He gives a good flow to the game, he has little catchphrases that, like him or not, you remember, he very rarely stutters or screws up, and he's not afraid to question bad calls. I can't remember what team he calls (maybe the Caps) but every goal the play-by-play guy yells "scores" in the highest most annoying pitch ever.  The Pens guy is pretty damn good I think. Anyways, sure Jack might sound like an idiot when he gets overzealous, but I'd rather that then him have no emotion at all. It is funny though when he gets going and Brick has to reel him back in haha...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

you may be thinking of Ric Jeanrette of the Sabres. He is the guy from the famous May Day call when the Sabres beat the Bruins back in the 80's...He is amazingly annoying to listen to (unless you are a Sabres fan I guess)

I don't agree with Edwards...He sees the game one way and his choice of words is ridiculous.He is dreadful .But to each his/her own..

Give me Sam Rosen any day

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Bob Wilson-  Now THAT was an announcer.  I like Edwards, but at times his scripting of comments bugs the heck out of me.  I wish I had a quarter for every time he says "spooning" or "half-wall" I've seen far worse than Jack Edwards on TV.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheelhouse46. Show Wheelhouse46's posts

I COULDNT STAND JACK EDWARDS!!!! Until i moved to maryland and had to get Center ice. He is obnoxious and usually says atleast one thing during a game thatll make you shake your head, but hes tolerable.

For all the jack edwards haters... Listen to Jeanneret or Laughlin....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

get rid of this CLOWN!! Jack blows

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

All dignity left with the "wooo" after goals, so Edwards fits right in with "wooo".

I hate it.  I just hate it.

I think Jack is getting the message and toning it down some, as he should because he's not the star, they are on the ice.

Get rid of Jack.  and the "woooo".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kowe. Show Kowe's posts

Jack is compared to other play-by-play guys good choice by the NESN.

I hope Versus won't have Joe Beninati during Bruins games. His voice is annoying. I'm not a fan of Sam Rosen either. He's a Rangers announcer and was doing Bruins games for VS. Devils are lucky to have Doc Emrick but when he's not available it's really horrible to listen to Steve Cangialosi.

Nobody is perfect but I think Jack and Brick are one of the best if not the best pair of announcers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Nobody is perfect but I think Jack and Brick are one of the best if not the best pair of announcers.
    Posted by Kowe

Good Lord

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Wow Jenerette is terrible...sounds like he's swallowing his words...I have always been a fan of Doc Emery...very professional...Jim Hughson, the guy who does the Cancucks is great too...great voice for announcing...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mal1234. Show mal1234's posts

I was expecting something "special" as the B's wrapped up the series, even wondered out loud to my son what we might hear.  "Sabre's hopes resting at the bottom of Gitchee Gumee with the Edmund Fitzgerald" never entered my mind...but I gotta admit he I was laughing while shaking my head in disbelief of what I'd just heard.

Does he have to mention the "apron" of the net 10 times each period?

Go B's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Posted by Kowe

Uh, you cannot be serious.

I really like Kelly in St Louis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinslovah5. Show bruinslovah5's posts

I must say that he used to annoy me, until I moved to Vegas and got Center Ice and had to listen to all the other CRAPPY announcers out there. Now that I'm back in NE, I appreciate him much more! I think he kinda grows on ya after a while - quirks and all. Now I find myself looking forward to his "deep" monologues before the games - just curious what he's going to come out with next!! Ah, well...we were too spoiled with Cusick! 

At least Jack shows some emotion and seems to really care about the game. 

I agree though, can we drop the "WOOOOO" after goals at the Garden - LAME!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwtime. Show dwtime's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards...love em or hate em.. : I think he is a total clown who at times lacks general hockey knowledge.. I am not a Bruins fan whatsoever.. but i love Brickley. Also loved Fred Cusick and I guess was spoiled. He was aweseome (ditto Bob Wilson).. I didn't think the Bruins could get worse than Dale Arnold until along came Edwards and his yellow teeth..
    Posted by leafswin27

Ah Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson, thoise were the days.  Best moments were when the opposing goalie would make a big save or the Bruins would 'just' miss getting an important goal, you could hear Johnny groaning in the background, absolute classic moments and usually sofened the pain if they ended up losing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards...love em or hate em.. : Ah Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson, thoise were the days.  Best moments were when the opposing goalie would make a big save or the Bruins would 'just' miss getting an important goal, you could hear Johnny groaning in the background, absolute classic moments and usually sofened the pain if they ended up losing.
    Posted by dwtime

Exactly. Grew up in Boston rooting against the B's but loving Cusick/Pearson. Then every year Pearson would go to his "furniture convention".. Also back in the mid 70's they must not been able to afford to fly them out to do games live from Oakland and LA so they would show the games and these two would broadcast from the TV38 studios with no crowd noise. it was great stuff

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards...love em or hate em.. : Uh, you cannot be serious. I really like Kelly in St Louis.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Kelly is real good. Almost as good as his Dad who is my all time favorite..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In addition to serving as the on-air branch of the Bruins Marketing Department (shamelessly so, IMHO), every game Edwards makes the cardinal sin of calling games on TV as if they were on radio.  Earth to Jack:  TV play-by-play calls for LESS description than radio.  Remember, we're seeing it right along with you, no need to yap all the time.

The frosting on Edwards' cake is that he exaggerates anything and everything that the Bruins do well.  No need to put your spin on it Jack, we know what we saw, and we know hockey every bit as well as you do.  When you do that Jack, it makes it seem as if you're dishing us a lot of horse manure, know what I mean?  We don't buy it, it makes YOU and NESN look bad, so why do it?

Meanwhile, Brickley does a great job on color, as does Bob Beers on radio. Kluzak's #1 in the studio by far (no bologna, holds B's accountable every night, all without Milbury's condescending comments to Kathryn Tappen). 

The BEST hockey announcer in Boston is 98.5's Dave Gaucher, who is so good he should be working in Canada.  Gaucher's bound for the Hockey Hall of Fame a la Bob Wilson and Fred Cusick. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerrharr. Show gerrharr's posts

BruinsCountry, couldn't agree with you more.

And I think Emrick is truly one of the greats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelieveINBoston9. Show BelieveINBoston9's posts

LOVE EM.....but can understand why others would dislike his corky jokes

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Jack overplays his hand from time-to-time and that can be annoying, but he knows his hockey and loves the Bruins.  He and Brick make a solid duo.  Fred Cusick was the greatest hockey PBP announcer of all-time, so that is not a fair comparison.

Assuming Cusick was a 10, I say Jack is a 7.
    - Dale Arnold was a 4
    - Dave Shea was a 5

I am not a fan of the broadcasts on the other networks, Versus or NBC.  I do like Doc, he is such a professional, a 9 in my book.  I also enjoyed when ESPN was covering the NHL with Gary Thorne or Steve Levy, both were 8's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Listening to Jack is like listening to a guy who has visited the sports bar for twenty years.  The mouth spews out one liners for reaction.  Overall though, he calls a good game with correct articulation and pronunciation.  Brickley needs to tone down the "flowery vernacular" and react without pausing the thought.  I do think his "paralysis with analysis" is "sate of the art".  Ha.  Got to love media! 

Sections
Shortcuts