Jeremy Reich!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: Jeremy Reich!!!

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!!:
    In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Yes.  He.  Is.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not.  

Definition of a goon:  John Wensink.  Stan Jonathan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Not.   Definition of a goon:  John Wensink.  Stan Jonathan. 
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Those are examples.  Here's my definition:  A player who cannot play offense in the NHL, cannot play defense in the NHL, yet still seems to find himself on an NHL roster because he will fight.

Reich is a goon.  He's an empty shirt who has one purpose and one purpose only in the NHL:  Fight.

In Providence, he might try his hand at scoring, but when in the NHL, he won't be garnering any PP or PK time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

OK, NAS, that's a good definition.  Now, here's the bet-- If Reich makes the team or gets called up due to injuries, we'll watch him and argue then. 

And, if he scores a waycool goal, or checks effectively, or steals the puck and sets up a goal, you'll admit and acknowledge that he's not a goon, right?

And if he does none of that, I'll acknowledge that he is, case closed.

Deal?

Injuries are sure to happen and he'll get a turn on the big team, for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

OK, NAS, that's a good definition.  Now, here's the bet-- If Reich makes the team or gets called up due to injuries, we'll watch him and argue then.  And, if he scores a waycool goal, or checks effectively, or steals the puck and sets up a goal, you'll admit and acknowledge that he's not a goon, right? And if he does none of that, I'll acknowledge that he is, case closed. Deal? Injuries are sure to happen and he'll get a turn on the big team, for sure.

If he gets a chance in Boston and plays well, I'll be more than happy to eat crow.  In order to do that, however, he'll have to play the exact opposite from his last stint with the B's.

Let's hope he doesn't get called up due to injury, but if he does, let's hope I'm wrong and he plays well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Before telling me that my opinion is garbage, let's see just how much the goons play.  Goons, in the NHL, are not used for playing hockey, they're used to sell tickets.  The only reason I say this is because the goons sit on the bench for the majority of the game, never play in OT, and get scratched when the playoffs come around.  I saw that the Rangers signed Derek Booggaard.  It's being referred to as one of the worst contracts in NHL history.  The Rangers are being laughed at all over the hockey world for that deal. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Whoa ! Whoa ! Was your name ever mentioned in my post ? Don't get so upset . Show me where I referred to you specifically . Can't find it ? Didn't think so. Don't be so vain thinking everything is about you. You are reading too many of your press clippings. I could give a rat's azz about what you think on this because I have read your opinion on this before and laughed about.

So you say that the only thing they are used for is to sell tickets ? Why did Bowman ( John Scott ) and Holmgren ( Jody Shelley ), two Stanley Cup finalist GM's , sign these two . Their buildings are full. They don't need to sell tickets. I guess they are thinking of using them for some other reason. But then again what do they know compared to you .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Still waiting for your reply on your statement of goons signed to sell tickets. Why did Chicago and Philly sign these two then ? Your fans await ! Reply or run and hide ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Did  it cross your mind that I might not have seen the post?

Chicago is going to be facing plety of PR problems this season.  While it's understandable why they had to make the moves that they did, they're looking at a very different squad for the coming season.  Having a goon might help them keep people interested.

Philly:  No clue.  I can't explain many of the moves they've made this summer.

In the future, I won't be addressing any questions you bump up with this approach.  Turns out it's a free world, baby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Did  it cross your mind that I might not have seen the post? Chicago is going to be facing plety of PR problems this season.  While it's understandable why they had to make the moves that they did, they're looking at a very different squad for the coming season.  Having a goon might help them keep people interested. Philly:  No clue.  I can't explain many of the moves they've made this summer. In the future, I won't be addressing any questions you bump up with this approach.  Turns out it's a free world, baby.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Ya Chicago needed to make a move for a goon to bring in fans . I guess Toews , Kane , Hossa , Seabrook , Keith and Sharp and co. weren't doing it for them. Good observation . 

I apologize for not realizing that you might have missed this thread in your 1000+ posts in the last month. You were probably to busy posting other important hockey related things like ' Savard's hair cut '. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Not looking that into it. He's just a veteran presence and a leader for the AHLers to look up to. A replacement for Trent Whitfield.
    Posted by captainbergeron

BINGO!  nail on the head, a veteran presence for the kids goin to providence

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to Jeremy Reich!!! : So you think its a good move to have Reich and Thornton in the same lineup together??? WOW LOL
    Posted by Neely20005

No, I would like to see Thornton bumped off the roster by Reich.  Or some other new talent.  Thornton had a pretty good year '08-09, but was not much last year, scoring I think only one goal. 

Another thread mentions Metropolit.  He would be another good UFA pickup for depth, given a two way contract.  He was effective with Montreal this past year, one of their best forwards.

There will be injuries, always are.  It is good to have guys like this waiting in the wings.  It also puts pressure on the established forwards to keep hustling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlkGold67. Show BlkGold67's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : No, I would like to see Thornton bumped off the roster by Reich.  Or some other new talent.  Thornton had a pretty good year '08-09, but was not much last year, scoring I think only one goal.

Well you know Chiarelli for some reason signed Thornton to a new one way deal so thats not possible now. Reich didn't even play in the NHL last year.

I would have been more then happy to see both of these guys not signed and we got a younger Thornton type to take over Shawns role.

Not sure why this is a "great move" or even a good one for that matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Yes.  He.  Is.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Nah,  he's no goon.  Let's call these type of players 4th liners. 
    He doesn't go on the ice looking for fights,  hits hard, grinds, works and if need be not shy to drop the gloves.  To me this is not the definition of a goon.
    Anyways,  are there still goons is this league (Laraque) ?
    ClamMan,  I knew you'de be happy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : Nah,  he's no goon.  Let's call these type of players 4th liners.  He doesn't go on the ice looking for fights,  hits hard, grinds, works and if need be not shy to drop the gloves.  To me this is not the definition of a goon. Anyways,  are there still goons is this league (Laraque) ? ClamMan,  I knew you'de be happy.  
    Posted by BsLegion

NHL stats:  99 games played, 2-4-6 totals  21 fights

That's a goon in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYiGxmePZA&feature=player_embedded

Typical Reich goonery.  (Poor Monty gets it handed to him as usual.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : NHL stats:  99 games played, 2-4-6 totals  21 fights That's a goon in my book. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYiGxmePZA&feature=player_embedded Typical Reich goonery.  (Poor Monty gets it handed to him as usual.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You might have a point . I don't like using stats as they don't always speak the truth.  His low point amounts also have to do for not having much ice time on the 4th line.
    His last fulll season in Boston I didn't see him looking for fights but did not shy away from one if the other player was asking.
    "Goonerism" is a debatable role these days. Back in the days Miller was a goon but in todays NHL we like to call his role as an "Enforcer".  Does that mean everyone else that can muster more fights that you can count with your hands a goon ?
    You might have a point. I'm kind of old school and sees goons differently.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-of-Smeg. Show Bruins-of-Smeg's posts

If Reich is a regular in Boston then our 4th line is really in trouble. He couldn't crack the Islanders lineup last season.
    Posted by BruWingFan

The Islanders couldn't make the playoffs last year so anything they did or didn't do was wrong anyway. I'm not saying whether the signing ws good or bad. Just pointing out that the Isles did most things wrong last year and maybe not calling Reich up was one of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : You might have a point . I don't like using stats as they don't always speak the truth.  His low point amounts also have to do for not having much ice time on the 4th line. His last fulll season in Boston I didn't see him looking for fights but did not shy away from one if the other player was asking. "Goonerism" is a debatable role these days. Back in the days Miller was a goon but in todays NHL we like to call his role as an "Enforcer".  Does that mean everyone else that can muster more fights that you can count with your hands a goon ? You might have a point. I'm kind of old school and sees goons differently.
    Posted by BsLegion

The enforcers came around in the 90s when there were guys who could fight and play hockey.  Guys like Chris Simon who had the ability to get 20 goals and fight 20 times.  The cementheads now are back to being straight goons.  Boogaard has two career goals.

I don't suggest that there is a cookie cutter stat algorithym to determine a player's description.  I used those Reich stats to assist my opinion.  I've watched Reich play a lot.  He's not an NHL caliber hockey player.  He's an NHL caliber fighter, however, therefore I deem him a goon!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Enforcers came around in the 90's ??? Don't understand this comment. How about Terry O'Reilly, John Ferguson , Clark Gillies, Bob Probert, Tiger Williams, Eddie Shack.....etc. The list goes on and on with guys who stuck up for their teammates, fought a lot and could play hockey. Heck even Gordie Howe was feared throughout the league for his fighting and scored a ton of goals . Sorry but hockey enforcers who could play were there long before the 90's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Enforcers came around in the 90's ??? Don't understand this comment. How about Terry O'Reilly, John Ferguson , Clark Gillies, Bob Probert, Tiger Williams, Eddie Shack.....etc. The list goes on and on with guys who stuck up for their teammates, fought a lot and could play hockey. Heck even Gordie Howe was feared throughout the league for his fighting and scored a ton of goals . Sorry but hockey enforcers who could play were there long before the 90's.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I agree but the hockey term "Enforcer" came out afterwards, no ? 
    I was just trying to use the hockey terms that the " Hockey reporters/commentators/experts" starting using them.
    I'm old enough to remember the O'Reilly's and Gillie's however I don't remember how they were characterized.
    We kind of got off the topic but still not sure my definition of a goon fits Reich.
    Who cares,  right ?
    NEXT ! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : I agree but the hockey term "Enforcer" came out afterwards, no ?  I was just trying to use the hockey terms that the " Hockey reporters/commentators/experts" starting using them. I'm old enough to remember the O'Reilly's and Gillie's however I don't remember how they were characterized. We kind of got off the topic but still not sure my definition of a goon fits Reich. Who cares,  right ? NEXT ! 
    Posted by BsLegion

Good question B's Legion . I'd like to know the answer to that one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by Chowdahkid-

In the later part of the 80's, the league had an impressive amount of guys racking up 200+ PIM who couldn't do much else.  In the early 90's, fighters with stick skills became more prevalent, which lead to the team "enforcer" being used instead of "goon".

The term stuck, but the stick skills did not, as players who could score were encouraged not to fight, and instead were replaced by all out goons (see:  Brashear/Laraque/Ivanans etc) who could do nothing but fight.  They really aren't enforcers, because they're not really enforcing anything.  They're not protecting anybody.  Goon 1 fights Goon 2.  That's it.  The league is slowly phasing these goons out, but it's a slow process.  I doubt there will be any guys who can't contribute to the actual playing of the game left in the NHL in five years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : In the later part of the 80's, the league had an impressive amount of guys racking up 200+ PIM who couldn't do much else.  In the early 90's, fighters with stick skills became more prevalent, which lead to the team "enforcer" being used instead of "goon". The term stuck, but the stick skills did not, as players who could score were encouraged not to fight, and instead were replaced by all out goons (see:  Brashear/Laraque/Ivanansetc) who could do nothing but fight.  They really aren't enforcers, because they're not really enforcing anything.  They're not protecting anybody.  Goon 1 fights Goon 2.  That's it.  The league is slowly phasing these goons out, but it's a slow process.  I doubt there will be any guys who can't contribute to the actual playing of the game left in the NHL in five years.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

This is where I have a problem putting Reich in the same category as these guys.
    Goons correct because about 80% of the time they were put on the ice to go hurt and/or fight the other teams goon.  BTW these three cannot skate also.
    Now Riech, he's a pretty good skater and forechecker why call him a goon besides his lack of offense ? Call him an AHLer ?
    Then if Sobotka last season dropped his gloves we would call him a goon ?
    Not saying Reich has equivalent talent to Sobotka just comparing points VS fights = goon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : This is where I have a problem putting Reich in the same category as these guys. Goons correct because about 80% of the time they were put on the ice to go hurt and/or fight the other teams goon.  BTW these three cannot skate also. Now Riech, he's a pretty good skater and forechecker why call him a goon besides his lack of offense ? Call him an AHLer ? Then if Sobotka last season dropped his gloves we would call him a goon ? Not saying Reich has equivalent talent to Sobotka just comparing points VS fights = goon.
    Posted by BsLegion

As I stated earlier, his stat line supports the statement, it doesn't make it.  I'm not sure how many games you watched Reich play, but for all the time I saw #53 on the ice, he was running around, doing very little.  He didn't contribute offensively (as his stats show) and he didn't contribute defensively (as his play showed).  The only thing he did for the team was run around and get into fights.

I'll say the same thing as I said before:  If a players only contribution to the team is fighting, I consider him a goon.  Maybe we see this player differently because you feel he contributed more than that.  I don't. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Reich!!! : As I stated earlier, his stat line supports the statement, it doesn't make it.  I'm not sure how many games you watched Reich play, but for all the time I saw #53 on the ice, he was running around, doing very little.  He didn't contribute offensively (as his stats show) and he didn't contribute defensively (as his play showed).  The only thing he did for the team was run around and get into fights. I'll say the same thing as I said before:  If a players only contribution to the team is fighting, I consider him a goon.  Maybe we see this player differently because you feel he contributed more than that.  I don't. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Maybe ,  last season Reich was with the team I must have seen about 35% (including the playoffs) of his games and in those I thought he put in an effort and played as energy 4th liner. 
    Then again that Bruins team barely made the playoffs.
    If your assessment is correct then yes he's a goon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

Reich did a lot for Bs in '07 when he was called up and for the entire '07-'08 season ( who recalls that Oct/07 Sat tilt w/ Habs when Bs were throwing them around ?? )  .... he's depth toughness/grit, something they need IMO.... someone who will keep carcillo, cooke et all accountable ... do we want Savvy having to bite Carcillo to keep him away ?

if campbell can score a little, as everyone seems excited about, maybe reich has a spot on the 4 th line....