Joe Thornton NHL Player of the Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmac77. Show catmac77's posts

JT the NHL's player of the week.ps - Boston LOST that trade.�

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmac77. Show catmac77's posts

Boston wasn't trading from weakness. They were trading from stupidity.�Pure and simple. Any more excuses?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Spell it with me: S-A-L-A-R-Y D-U-M-P

The Bruins didn't want to pay Joe. Instead, Chara get overpaid to be a big, average to above-average defenseman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

Come on,..this trade was a long time ago now..If we are to discuss it , then the sole blame goes to Mike Oconnnell. He lied to the fans when he said he was in contact with all the GM's and that was the best offer he received for Joe..because SEVERAL GM's came out later and disputed his statement saying they were never even approached once on the subject and that they could have and would have offered MORE!!! Disasterous trade for sure!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

LOL

It ammuses me to no end to see all the SHEEP slam JT and talk crap about him now because he is no longer a Bruin.

These same lemmings bought Thorntons away,home, and pooh bear jersey and worshiped him now can't handle the fact he doesn't wear thier colour laundry anymore so they slam him.

Thornton won the league MVP and was the scoring Champion. Thornton is currently 5th in league scoring now and his team second in the West.

Since the Thornton trade (the sharks had less points then the Bruins at the date of the trade) San Jose has made the playoffs every year and have advanced each year.

Yet the SHEEP continue to come up wit witty insults like "Cry baby Joe" takes one to know one I guess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

I actually wrote that before I saw what you wrote. You make alot of good points but if yout think Boston is a hockey hotbed your dillusional. The only pressure came from within the organization (big shocker there) They did not�even defend him when he played with 2 cracked ribs for the entire series. That is where it went south between him and management.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dryroasted. Show dryroasted's posts

As much as i did blame MOC at the time it happend and he was a horrible GM to be sure, however he was forced into this by the owner of he team"It was Jacobs who ordered that the 104-point team of 2003-04 be dismantled, believing he�d be able to restock his roster with cut-rate bargains after the lockout. O�Connell, the former general manager, pleaded to be allowed to re-sign free agents Mike Knuble, Michael Nylander and Brian Rolston - all of whom wanted to stay and could have been signed rather cheaply for the last two seasons - but was refused.�It was an immediate disaster, compounded when O�Connell was ordered to dump Joe Thornton in a deal that will rank as the dumbest in team history and one of the worst ever in the NHL"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

Does Orrthebest ever get tired of being wrong and looking stupid?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

So what does the dumb sheep Orr do? He attacks Domi, jesus christ Orr are you really this much of a bafoon? Seriously you are the biggest fraud who posts on here. If Jacobs issues a statement saying the Sky was�pink you would then fight with everyone on here who told you it was blue. You are a joke. You dont know jack about the buisness of hockey. All you know how to do is wave your black and gold�pom poms and foam finger and�make stupid comments. get a clue and stop embarassing yourself!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

whatever man, your a joke and a fool and everyone here can see it so i dont really care what�foolish and demented twist you put on things. Everyone here sees you for the clown you are and the more you talk the more�everyone knows it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

So what your saying is the owner traded his franchise player to get an 8 seed and two home playoff dates? You have to be the dumbest of Jacobs flock.who has the blinders on? Keep up this jacobs defense and he may invite you up to buffalo to clean his pool or something, im sure that would be the highlight of your life.If you think Wayne Primeau is a "proven NHL'er" you are more dumb and uninformed then I orginially thought.�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

pre 2005 jackass�when the trade was made not now! my god it is astonishing how stupid you are. He was a spare part then.�He was a healthy scratch on�occasion and he was traded for the league MVP and you defend it. I hope you are unable to breed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Why do all you jj haters think Thorton trade was a salary dump. Because he was.Has jj ever traded a star player over money. Not personally, but his GM's have.He has always treat star players well because he knows they bring in the money.� No, once salaries began to escalate out of his control in the late 80's/early 90's, star players didn't stay. I mean STAY. Name one.Why do you think Neely came back to the organization because he was treated well.� No, because it's another pump-and-dump scheme to keep fans interested, buying tickets, and believing that the B's�are actually going to try to win a cup. Smoke and mirrors, my friend. Smoke and mirrors.This organization has been cheap but not with star players.�Name one "star player" other than Chara that they've paid so well. Also, this is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read. They have been cheap. Period.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Tie Domi the great hockey expert is the best you can come up with.�Domi is not one of my favorite hockey players by any stretch, but he was quoted actually sounding intelligent, which is more than I can say for the guy who said, 'The Bruins are cheap, but not with their star players.'

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Baseball,I think we went over this a few times this past month...this isn't baseball. You can't have more than 1 7M+ buy on the team and still have a 'core' of talent in the 4-5M range.� Hence the arguements about the lack of value with Murray.� Although it was a shocker fo a trade, the general agreement was not that they let Thornton go, but they should have gotten more in return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

With all due respect to Cam Neely, arguably my favorite Bruin of all time after Ray Bourque, what else is he going to do with his time? Act?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I'm familiar with the economics of hockey, as well as baseball. Yes, if you are going to trade Joe Thornton, get something in return. I get that. (They saved a boat load of money by the way!) But, they traded him (regardless of what they got for him) for financial reasons. How can you debate that? They will do it again, too. If any one of the young stars they currently have on the roster turn into an elite player, they will be gone, too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Its easy to debate.� The team at the time was riddled with holes from the blueline out.� If you asked me it was a MOC quick fix to 'save his job'.� A gamble which obviously didn't pay off as they didn't get the 'sum of talent' for what they gave up.� If it was a salary cap world at the time, they probably would have had to dump other players to make room for the three that they got since the sum of salaries in today's dollars are more than the single thornton salary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

The B's have had a self-imposed salary cap for decades. If your job is on the line, why would you trade your star player and fan favorite?I don't have the exact numbers, so please forgive me and offer a little lattitude. If Joe Thornton was going to cost the Bruins $7 million per year, and they traded him for THREE guys that cost $9�million combined, do you not see the savings? Do you not understand how�the Bruins saved money in the deal?O'Connell was trying to save his job by trading Joe Thornton to fill holes in the line-up? Seriously?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boullion. Show boullion's posts

Jacobs pocketed 1.6 million in that trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

I don't have the exact numbers, so please forgive me and offer alittle lattitude. If Joe Thornton was going to cost the Bruins $7million per year, and they traded him for THREE guys that cost$9�million combined, do you not see the savings? Do you not understandhow�the Bruins saved money in the deal?I'm asking for the same latitude, since I don't know the figures.� My point was that from a 'salary perspective' it would be 7M less but add 8-9M more.� Of course 2 of the guys making 500k, would be playing in Providence so that I don't see the savings.� Orr, made the same point that I was thinking at the time as it cost the Bruins more due to the loss revenue stream that started the day Thornton was gone.� The bottom line is that from a 'balance sheet' perspective this cost the Bruins from day one.�
    O'Connell was trying to save his job by trading Joe Thornton to fill holes in the line-up? Seriously?

Yes I am serious since it is the only logic that can be applied given the team.� With Joe they sucked and were going now where.� Just as people have short term memory and can't remember the 'good year' performances, I think they don't remember the lineups and the holes with some of the 'bubble teams' of these years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sculler, thay may have lost merchandising, but it wasn't the Thornton deal that cost Jacobs as much as the strike. When I see posts on this board from older fans who remember watching Bobby Orr or John Bucyk, Rick Middleton and Jean Ratelle, Brad Park and Gerry Cheevers, you have to respect what most of them are saying about Jacobs and the organization.

They lost me before the strike with their save a buck laissez faire attitude and the strike finished me. They have great, young talent, but the organization stinks. They don't care about you. Heck, it could be arguued that I care more about you than they do, and we've never met. Do you get that? They do not care. Money. That's all they care about, and it has been that way for three decades. A few runs at a Cup in 30 years for THIS organization is an insult to both of us and anyone who believes in this franchise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Why don't you just jump on the Sharks wagon?� I've been up there for games and the Sharks would be a perfect team for a bandwagon rider like you to follow.How old are you? From your response, I would guess�I was a Bruins fan longer than you have been alive. I certainly don't need a lecture about jumping off any bandwagons. I've paid my money to Mr. Jacobs and got little or nothng in return. if you want to keep flying into a window like a stupid bird, by all means. But don't ask the Bruins to shovel�you up off the ground and toss you in the woods, because they just don't care.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

�I'm now guessing I've followed this team longer than you.�So I'm less impressionable I guess on the folks that 'followed the Bruins for a long time'....since I'm one of them.Why do you have to change the context of the subject?�� For what I was responding to, getting rid of Thornton was a losing proposition from a revenue stream basis from day one.� It is water over the dam, but it wasn't a salary dump as you portrayed.� -->-->I do agree with you that the lockout [vs. strike] did kill this team.��I also agree that the�strategy that this team followed was�the fault of the front office.� What I don't agree with was it was totally illogical nor was that a salary dump. The part that was illogical was the players taking a 25% paycut on their guaranteed contracts.� Has that every happened in professional sports?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

I bet you two are with the group that think that Kraft 'cares' about the fans.� I'll contend that all these sports team owners care about winning because that is the way to maximize your revenue and profit.� They could care less about the fans than packing A$$es in seats.