Just a basic NHL question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JuiceyTheKidd. Show JuiceyTheKidd's posts

Just a basic NHL question

i googled this and got no answer

i know if a guy plays with a team and gets traded near the deadline and that team wins the championship he also gets a ring.

does this happen in the NHL and what is the number of games that person has to play?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Just a basic NHL question

Um, you need to make that a touch clearer.
    Are you talking about the guy going to the champs or from?
    If going to, he either needs to play 41 regular season games, 1 SCF game or be voted a ring by his team mates.

In Response to Just a basic NHL question:
    i googled this and got no answer i know if a guy plays with a team and gets traded near the deadline and that team wins the championship he also gets a ring. does this happen in the NHL and what is the number of games that person has to play?
    Posted by JuiceyTheKidd

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I always thought it up to the team and how they viewed the player...for example, Nomar got a ring from the Sox in 2004 because he was such a big part of Red Sox history...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic NHL question:
    I always thought it up to the team and how they viewed the player...for example, Nomar got a ring from the Sox in 2004 because he was such a big part of Red Sox history...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

Nomar getting a ring, and a player being on the stanley cup are entirely different though, the ring is paid for by the owner of the team..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by mannyortez3424

Not because he was a big part of their history, but because he was part of the team for more than half of that season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

I thought you had to make an appearance in the playoffs in order to get a ring. I could be wrong, but that is something I remember hearing before.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Again, there are no requirements to get a ring, its paid for by the owner, the redsox also gave out rings to members of the club house etc..

Tallon is getting a ring.. The orgainization made the decision, not the NHL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I think to get your name on the cup you have to have played at least one game,about getting a ring not sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JuiceyTheKidd. Show JuiceyTheKidd's posts

man it stinks if u bust your butt on a team then they trade u at the deadline, they win and u dont get a ring and the guy who they traded for gets one just because his contract is an expiring one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Again, there are no requirements to get a ring, its paid for by the owner, the redsox also gave out rings to members of the club house etc.. Tallon is getting a ring.. The orgainization made the decision, not the NHL Posted by rolerhoky19

Classy thing to do by the Blackhawks. If Ol man Wirtz were still alive he'd give Dale some warm champagne like Comiskey used to do for his ballplayers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

I think to get your name on the cup you have to have played at least one game,about getting a ring not sure.
    Posted by john6345

You can petition the NHL to include a player if you think you have a solid case.  When Anaheim won the cup they petitioned and got George Parros' name on it b/c he was hurt some during playoffs and didn't play in cup finals.
    They agreed and he got his name on it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Ring.  Big deal.  Buy yourself a box of cracker jack and maybe there's one of those rings inside.

Now - getting your name engraved on the Stanley Cup, that's a big deal.  Don Awrey played for the Habs the whole season in '76, but didn't suit up for the playoffs and didn't get his name engraved on the cup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I think the players and coaching staff on the championship winning team have a vote on who gets what.....playoff shares, rings, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

man it stinks if u bust your butt on a team then they trade u at the deadline, they win and u dont get a ring and the guy who they traded for gets one just because his contract is an expiring one.
    Posted by JuiceyTheKidd

I remember when the Devils traded Viacheslav Fetisov to the Red Wings at the deadline in 2005.  Not only did the Devils go on to win the Stanley Cup without him, but they beat his Red Wings to win it. It was pretty rough to watch him in the handshake line at the end of that series.

(Of course, his Red Wings went on to win the next two years, but at the time...)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

In Response to Just a basic NHL question:
    i googled this and got no answer i know if a guy plays with a team and gets traded near the deadline and that team wins the championship he also gets a ring. does this happen in the NHL and what is the number of games that person has to play?
    Posted by JuiceyTheKidd

Question: What is the criteria for a player to get his name on the Stanley Cup?
    Answer: The Stanley Cup is the only trophy in pro sport that bears the names of players, coaches, management and staff from the winning teams.
    Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

That's why Jiri Slegr was the luckiest guy in the NHL in the spring of 2002. Acquired by Detroit at the trade deadline, he played just eight regular season games as a Red Wing and did not dress for a single playoff game for the first three rounds. But he was called on to play game five of the Stanley Cup Final in place of Jiri Fischer, who had to serve a one-game suspension. So Slegr got his name on the Stanley Cup, and has a nasty Fischer cross-check to thank for it.

Besides eligible players, the names of coaches, management and staff of the winning team are also engraved on the Cup.

It takes 13 years to fill a ring on the Stanley Cup. When a ring is full, an older ring is removed from near the top of the Cup and put on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Only one name has been added against the rules. When the Edmonton Oilers won their first championship in 1984, owner Peter Pocklington included his father's name - "Basil Pocklington" - among the names engraved. It was later scratched out with a series Xs.

LOL.... F*** Edmonton!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic NHL question : Classy thing to do by the Blackhawks. If Ol man Wirtz were still alive he'd give Dale some warm champagne like Comiskey used to do for his ballplayers.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Seriously, classy ?

Are you kiddin' ?

I think that's the least that the Bowmans can do for Tallon after throwing him under the bus in Chicago...

Tallon built that team !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

But Stan B now looks like the big genius, eh ?

"Here's a ring for all of your troubles, Dale..."

"Shaddup and git off to Florida where you can dupe some Eastern rubes out of their first round picks..." 

"Classy" isn't a word that I would use in that context !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic NHL question : Seriously, classy ? Are you kiddin' ? I think that's the least that the Bowmans can do for Tallon after throwing him under the bus in Chicago... Tallon built that team ! Posted by RMiller87

What ? Tallon also almost blew extensions for Toews, Kane and Keith because he couldn't handle a fax machine plus stuck them with 2 horrible contracts Huet and Campbell which is why Bowman had to dump allot of talent recently because of Tallon.

If Bowman was responsible for undermining, trying to get Dale out of Chicago then why did he give Tallon a ring ? Answer: Because he didn't do anything to get Tallon ousted Dale did it to himself because he didn't do his job! He almost missed the deadline to get the contracts in.

How hard was it for your hero to draft in the top ten every year ? Answer: Easy!Take your Tallon "got the better of the Horton/Wideman deal" Boll washing and go down to Florida to give Dale help with his fax machine.

Get your facts straight kool aid boy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

We'll just see how 17 years old "Minnesota Mr. Hockey" at 6'5" and only 17 years old turns out versus Mr. No Heartbeat Horton...

If PC also trades for soft ole Kaberle, I am soooooo outta here !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

We'll just see how 17 years old "Minnesota Mr. Hockey" at 6'5" and only 17 years old turns out versus Mr. No Heartbeat Horton... If PC also trades for soft ole Kaberle, I am soooooo outta here ! Posted by RMiller87

Good comeback you really took me to task...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

He "almost" missed the deadline to get the contracts in means he didn't miss the deadline...

Now, did he ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Who gets a ring is a  "team" decision there is no vote.. The red sox gave a ring to remi, as well as raffeled one off.. They are paid for by the ownership.. Commisioned by the owner etc.. There is no regualtion of them by the nhl, if they wanted to the blackhawks could give a ring to every season ticket holder to commemorate their championship.  They are supposed to be meaningful, so as a player the fewer floating around the better.. But there in no nhl requirements...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

He "almost" missed the deadline to get the contracts in means he didn't miss the deadline... Now, did he ?
    Posted by RMiller87

Actually, he *did* miss the deadline. Not only did he miss the deadline, but he sent the qualifying offers via regular mail, not via fax or courier, as required by the CBA.

The NHLPA filed a grievance, and if the arbitrator ruled in favor of the players, they would have been immediately declared free agents.

However, all 8 of the players in question signed with Chicago before the hearing, making it a moot point and the NHLPA dropped the grievance.

8 players wanted to remain in Chicago. That is the ONLY reason they didn't become free agents, because they didn't WANT to. (And this possibly forced Tallon to pay more than he intended to for each one, another strike against him)

So don't come in here acting all high and mighty when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic NHL question : Actually, he *did* miss the deadline. Not only did he miss the deadline, but he sent the qualifying offers via regular mail, not via fax or courier, as required by the CBA. The NHLPA filed a grievance, and if the arbitrator ruled in favor of the players, they would have been immediately declared free agents. However, all 8 of the players in question signed with Chicago before the hearing, making it a moot point and the NHLPA dropped the grievance. 8 players wanted to remain in Chicago. That is the ONLY reason they didn't become free agents, because they didn't WANT to. (And this possibly forced Tallon to pay more than he intended to for each one, another strike against him) So don't come in here acting all high and mighty when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
    Posted by davecarr

Dave,
    the same could be said of you. Nothing in the CBA states how qualifying offers are to be delivered. Just an exact date and time.. Chicago has previously extended such offers via standard mail in the past, but did not mail them in time to be recieved by all players in this instance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

So, what you, two clowns, are saying is that Tallon's actions or lack thereof had no consequence whatsoever to the Blackhawks as a team -- the team that Tallon (not Bowman) built that won the Cup...

In that case, I say that giving him a Cup ring is the very least that the Bowmans can do for throwing Tallon under the bus in Chicago, and I don't really consider this a "classy" gesture...

You, guys, got a problem with that ?

Sections
Shortcuts