Kabanov could have been had at 45?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

Kabanov could have been had at 45?

Why did the bruins pass up a chance to hit a homerun with 45, when 99% of picks in the 3rd round or later never see the light of a NHL game anyhow?

The isles took him at 65 ... nice pick by them for the  same reason it would have been a great pick for the bruins at 45!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45?

It seems every pick after the 1st half of the 1st round is hit or miss with most of the players picked that late, ..well a miss.

Taking Kabanov would have been a relatively small risk with huge potenatil upside. 

Without knowing much about this under the radar guy the B's picked, I would have loved the guts of Bs management with a gamble pick of Kabanov at #45.

We'll all see what happens with the B's # 45 and if we even remember his name if and when he is NHL ready as compared to what Kabanov does over the next few years and if he even makes it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So a resounding "we'll see"?

If you don't want a player, you don't want him, not at 32 or 45 or 135.  I'm guessing that the Bruins didn't want a high-profile project player whose personal problems (what's Russian for Carl Lindros?) would spill a lot of ink that could be going to Seguin, Horton, et al..  I can live with that, especially if Spooner (and Knight) develop into real players. 

Like the old commercial says, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I guess teams that were picking 1-64 also didn't feel like hitting a homerun. No thanks, Spooner has high end talent as well with less problems.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I thought KK would go early 2nd round.  Really surprised me he fell to the 3rd.  I guess teams didn't want to deal with his father.  Good place for him though.  Rangers need a new offensive star.  I'm glad he's in our conference too. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45?:
    I guess teams that were picking 1-64 also didn't feel like hitting a homerun. No thanks, Spooner has high end talent as well with less problems.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Well said!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bim probably just a typo but KK did go to NYI.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Plus he didnt meet the 5 10 maximum hieght limit!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Islanders, my bad.  Always get the NY teams mixed up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

So a resounding "we'll see"? If you don't want a player, you don't want him, not at 32 or 45 or 135.  I'm guessing that the Bruins didn't want a high-profile project player whose personal problems (what's Russian for Carl Lindros?) would spill a lot of ink that could be going to Seguin, Horton, et al..  I can live with that, especially if Spooner (and Knight) develop into real players.  Like the old commercial says, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
    Posted by Bookboy007

This guy is unquestionably the most problematic skilled youngster to come along in years.  Despite being "really good", he's gotten the boot everywhere he's been.  What really stands out is the fact that really good players, get a lot of rope.  The teams he's played for, up to this point, really needed his talent.  Obviously, in a game where winning is everything, his antics were more than "anyone" could tolerate.
    Over the years, many, many, great NHL players have been low draft picks.  The worst tenured NHLers, have an uncommon work ethic, personal drive, sense of team, and a high compete level.  Not unlike the military, they also have to be good at taking orders, and respecting authority.
    Logic would suggest that expecting a young man to understand those perimeters would be much easier when he's "broke", as compared to when he becomes a millionaire.
    There are literally hundreds of players who have NHL ability, that never even land a minor league job, let alone the show.  That's because pure skill, aint near enough.
    Sure Kabanov is just a kid, and he could change, but it's important to realize, that up to this point, he hasn't just been problematic....he's been poison.  The best minds in Junior hockey, gave up on him.  The best minds in pro hockey gave up on him...TWICE.  
    I applaud the Bruins on passing this kid over.
    I wish Kabanov the best.  Wasted potential and opportunity are 2 of the saddest things in life.  Hopefully now, this young man understands that his on-ice limitations are the easy fixes.  He needs to change his game, his attitide, his personality, and his values, if he wants to make a living playing hockey.  Combined, those are pretty long odds.
    Throw in culture.  Our way of life is much more tolerent of "free spirits", than his homeland.  That just makes things more difficult.
    Good luck Islanders.  Thought you would have learned your lesson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : This guy is unquestionably the most problematic skilled youngster to come along in years.  Despite being "really good", he's gotten the boot everywhere he's been.  What really stands out is the fact that really good players, get a lot of rope.  The teams he's played for, up to this point, really needed his talent.  Obviously, in a game where winning is everything, his antics were more than "anyone" could tolerate. Over the years, many, many, great NHL players have been low draft picks.  The worst tenured NHLers, have an uncommon work ethic, personal drive, sense of team, and a high compete level.  Not unlike the military, they also have to be good at taking orders, and respecting authority. Logic would suggest that expecting a young man to understand those perimeters would be much easier when he's "broke", as compared to when he becomes a millionaire. There are literally hundreds of players who have NHL ability, that never even land a minor league job, let alone the show.  That's because pure skill, aint near enough. Sure Kabanov is just a kid, and he could change, but it's important to realize, that up to this point, he hasn't just been problematic....he's been poison.  The best minds in Junior hockey, gave up on him.  The best minds in pro hockey gave up on him...TWICE.   I applaud the Bruins on passing this kid over. I wish Kabanov the best.  Wasted potential and opportunity are 2 of the saddest things in life.  Hopefully now, this young man understands that his on-ice limitations are the easy fixes.  He needs to change his game, his attitide, his personality, and his values, if he wants to make a living playing hockey.  Combined, those are pretty long odds. Throw in culture.  Our way of life is much more tolerent of "free spirits", than his homeland.  That just makes things more difficult. Good luck Islanders.  Thought you would have learned your lesson.
    Posted by stevegm

Marvellous post steve ! Bookboyish quality .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

Posted by Chowdahkid-

Would you feel the same if the bruins had drafted him at 45 ... would u be saying omg i guess the first 64 picks just missed out on spooner? draft is to me about taking the highest talent available at the time and not what he might or might not become and i doubt many people will argue that of all the choices available at 45 with kabanov not being the best talent. Would anyone even care if it didnt workout? its pick 45, i wouldnt be going FFS what happened with pick 45 in 2010 what a waste ever, because if i would then chances are ill say that about spooner when he never makes it to the nhl. I could careless if the providence bruins go 82-0 or 0-82 with a bunch of trent whitfields.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : This guy is unquestionably the most problematic skilled youngster to come along in years.  Despite being "really good", he's gotten the boot everywhere he's been.  What really stands out is the fact that really good players, get a lot of rope.  The teams he's played for, up to this point, really needed his talent.  Obviously, in a game where winning is everything, his antics were more than "anyone" could tolerate. Over the years, many, many, great NHL players have been low draft picks.  The worst tenured NHLers, have an uncommon work ethic, personal drive, sense of team, and a high compete level.  Not unlike the military, they also have to be good at taking orders, and respecting authority. Logic would suggest that expecting a young man to understand those perimeters would be much easier when he's "broke", as compared to when he becomes a millionaire. There are literally hundreds of players who have NHL ability, that never even land a minor league job, let alone the show.  That's because pure skill, aint near enough. Sure Kabanov is just a kid, and he could change, but it's important to realize, that up to this point, he hasn't just been problematic....he's been poison.  The best minds in Junior hockey, gave up on him.  The best minds in pro hockey gave up on him...TWICE.   I applaud the Bruins on passing this kid over. I wish Kabanov the best.  Wasted potential and opportunity are 2 of the saddest things in life.  Hopefully now, this young man understands that his on-ice limitations are the easy fixes.  He needs to change his game, his attitide, his personality, and his values, if he wants to make a living playing hockey.  Combined, those are pretty long odds. Throw in culture.  Our way of life is much more tolerent of "free spirits", than his homeland.  That just makes things more difficult. Good luck Islanders.  Thought you would have learned your lesson.
    Posted by stevegm

i dont disagree with what your saying any other then ill go back to its pick 45 which 99.9% of the time isnt going to make the NHL anyhow, so this pick is a chance of somesort  be it charecter or talent... charecter can be changed if the will is there to do it. Talent cant be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeLogan5. Show MikeLogan5's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : i dont disagree with what your saying any other then ill go back to its pick 45 which 99.9% of the time isnt going to make the NHL anyhow, so this pick is a chance of somesort  be it charecter or talent... charecter can be changed if the will is there to do it. Talent cant be.
    Posted by puckhog9966

Bingo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : i dont disagree with what your saying any other then ill go back to its pick 45 which 99.9% of the time isnt going to make the NHL anyhow, so this pick is a chance of somesort  be it charecter or talent... charecter can be changed if the will is there to do it. Talent cant be.
    Posted by puckhog9966

Talent can't be changed, but it can be improved.  Hard work at the gym can improve balance and checking.  Stick time on the ice can improve accuracy and stickhandling.  Cardio work can drop weight, which can add speed.  Video work can improve positioning.  etc

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Posted by puckhog9966

Just a couple opinions puck, cuz right now I can't do the research.  There are a lot of really, really good NHL players out there that were picked far below 45.
    Talent is just one attribute that teams look at, when they're trying to crystal ball how well boys will do, when they land a mans job.  They're not fully developed physically, so you can't just base everything on talent.  Hall and Seguin are perfect examples.  It pretty much looks like a dead heat right now, but in all probability, one will undoubtedly leap ahead of the other at some point in time.  Mark Messier was a low, low pick.  Phil Esposito, couldn't even make major junior when he should have.
    Personally, I think at this point in time, considering where the Bruins are ranked in the NHL pecking order, the draft is overly hyped and blown out of proportion.  If I were a Florida fan, I'd be looking at it entirely differently than a Bruin fan.  The draft is all about where a team "may" be 2, 3, or 4 years down the road.  It gives hope.
    The B's are a team, that with a few pieces, could win it all.  Worst case, they should be in the hunt.  By the time those draft pieces start paying dividends, the core of this team will be used up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dacollin. Show dacollin's posts

Posted by puckhog9966

99.9% of pick #45 doesn't make the NHL?  What are you talking about?  That is a second round pick.  Probably 40% or more make the NHL.  Patrice Bergeron was selected with the 45th pick. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : 99.9% of pick #45 doesn't make the NHL?  What are you talking about?  That is a second round pick.  Probably 40% or more make the NHL.  Patrice Bergeron was selected with the 45th pick. 
    Posted by dacollin

It's closer to 20% of the players selected in the second round will be career NHLers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : Would you feel the same if the bruins had drafted him at 45 ... would u be saying omg i guess the first 64 picks just missed out on spooner? draft is to me about taking the highest talent available at the time and not what he might or might not become and i doubt many people will argue that of all the choices available at 45 with kabanov not being the best talent. Would anyone even care if it didnt workout? its pick 45, i wouldnt be going FFS what happened with pick 45 in 2010 what a waste ever, because if i would then chances are ill say that about spooner when he never makes it to the nhl. I could careless if the providence bruins go 82-0 or 0-82 with a bunch of trent whitfields.
    Posted by puckhog9966

That's your opinion that Kabanov had the most talent available at 45 . I only seen him once and I seen Spooner about 10 times so I reserve judgement on the opinion of him having the most talent. Have you even seen either one play ? I know what we're getting with Spooner and I think his talent level is quite high . Apparentlly 30 other teams don't feel the same way as you do including the Islanders ( as they passed on him more then once ) or one of them would have taken a chance on him. Too deep of a draft to take a chance on a kid with issues like Kabanov. Talent alone does not make for a good draft pick. It's the whole package and Spooner has it more then Kabanov IMO because of the off ice nonsense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

To those applauding the B's passing on Kabanov at 45 to go with what you must feel is a safe, prudent, shrewd pick of Spooner (ranked well below 45 by everyone) when do you think Spooner will make the Bs roster or another NHL roster?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not sure character can be changed.  There's a lot of research that's come out in the last twenty years or so that suggests genetics play a much larger role in our personalities than we used to think - as much as 60% of things like political views and taste in movies may be linked to genes.  If that's the case, character and talent are in roughly the same situation - you have 'god-given' talent and character and there's only so much you can change with hard work, commitment, sacrifice and determination.

I'd also say it's a whole lot more complicated than a simple "talent + character" equation.  The very top picks usually rate highly on a number of scales - talent, character, size, health, IQ, experience, and exposure.  That's the minimum, I'd think.  So you get a kid like Kessel who looked like #1 but drops because his mix of talent, experience, and exposure is offset by a lack of size, character, and IQ (my favorite anecdote is the scout who tricked Kessel into revealing his underage drinking by asking him where the best watering holes are at UMin).

Outside of the top picks, players have obvious flaws on one of those scales, and teams start envisioning players excelling in certain roles.  So a guy who doesn't have high-end talent but has great IQ probably won't be a first-line player, but he might be a good 2nd or 3rd liner to compliment other high-skill players who need a quarterback.  Size is one of the most obvious reasons a player drops.  Health is another.  The Bruins picked two 2nd round guys who might have been first rounders if Knight hadn't been diagnosed and if Spooner was 6'0" 190.

Kabanov has more against him than the lack of character.  He doesn't have much experience thanks to injuries - so there's a tick against him on health - and all the drama, meaning he also hasn't had much exposure at major events in the last year.  Talent, sure.  Size - well, he's tall, but so?  He's a beanpole.  That's a lot to overcome just because you can't teach talent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Kabanov mixed up his pro sports he should play basketball he has talent, he has an attitude,thats NBA 1st round. I still would have taken my chances on him over two guys under 6ft. How many guys in the NHL under 6ft ? There will be less every year and these kids are a couple years away? I will take the 6 3" guy in the playoffs when it matters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov could have been had at 45? : Talent can't be changed, but it can be improved.  Hard work at the gym can improve balance and checking.  Stick time on the ice can improve accuracy and stickhandling.  Cardio work can drop weight, which can add speed.  Video work can improve positioning.  etc
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think there is an assumption with the statement "talent can't be changed" that any worthy NHL player would be doing all those things you mentioned to improve himself.  If not, you trade him to Toronto for 2 firsts and a second.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Yes, I'm disappointed PC didn't take a chance on Kabanov. His off-ice problems are more about maturity. He made some bad decisions. He wasn't drinking, doing drugs or hanging out in clubs. I still maintain he was worth the risk of a second round pick. A lot of teams probably decided they weren't going to focus on him due to the off-ice issues and simply wrote him off, The Lindros Effect, if you will. Well, Lindros is a possible HOF'er. We had a chance to add 2 players with world class talent. Opportunities like that don't come along twice an a draft year. In hindsight, with Toronto's first round pick next year, PC probably felt there was no need to take the risk this year with Kabanov.   

Oh well, he's not here. He's an Islander pick and that's that. I'd rather focus on what is, not what might have been.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Look, Chia's draft record the past 3 years has been bttr for the baby Bs, I believe of all tne picks in last 3 years only less that 10 NHL games played among them I believe.

Throwing praise at Chia for his 32 and 45 and saying anything that implies Chia was insightful, shrewd, safe, smart, great, etc.....well ...... his history just doens't fit that. I would guess that these 2nd rd and beyond picks will be much like his picks the past 3 years -- a whole lot of AHL ice time. 

With Chia draft record, why should'nt he have taking a different approach and risked a lonely 45 pick on Kabanov?  I wished he had tacken a long shot on Kabanov for the Bs rather than most lickly career AHL'ers for the baby Bs

Sections
Shortcuts