Kabanov

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Kabanov

A significant number of Bruin fans were solidly behind the idea of drafting Kirill Kabanov in June.
    Fortunately, the Islanders took on that project.
    On Monday, the Islanders rookie camp opened, and predictably, Kabaonov sashayed in late.  The club kept him off the ice as punishment.
    One New York media outlet offered this assessment.  "Say this for Kirill Kabaonov, he didn't disappoint".  They also went on to describe Kabanov as the "2010 draft pick with all the tools, but a few screws loose"........
    Me thinks this is just the beginning.  Good job PC and company.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Kabanov

Wow...  I hate to admit it, but I was one of those clamoring for him.  If I was a GM I thought I could straighten him out and trade him before before he became Dennis Rodman and Danny Heatley and Phil Kessel and Roger Clemens all rolled into one.  I never suspected he would screw up the physical.

Shocked, it's over before the race even started.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Thank God PC & Company didn't go for Kabanov. But more so, thank God PC & Company didn't go get Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk is singlehandedly unravelling the Devil's franchise. NYC and vicinty deserve both of these "stars".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Kabanov:
    Thank God PC & Company didn't go for Kabanov. But more so, thank God PC & Company didn't go get Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is singlehandedly unravelling the Devil's franchise. NYC and vicinty deserve both of these "stars".
    Posted by Wheatskins

The Kovalchuk thing is/was such a recipe for disaster, unless he puts up outstanding numbers AND unless they win a cup, the fans just have to start hating him.  If he and the Devils don't come thru on both counts, I just don't see how the fans won't become disgruntled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Kovalchuk did nothing wrong by going for his fair market value, and we all should be glad he stayed in the NHL. It's a business, and those that will crucify him for signing a big contract would be wise to remember that.

Kabonov did plenty wrong, and will be canned if he doesn't figure it out pronto

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Maybe the devils are banking on the CBA/salary cap, etc being long gone before the contract expires, CBA is up at the end of 2012? so.. lots can happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Russian love according the THN on the new direction of the KHL.  Should Kabanov have stayed in Russia?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Kovalchuk did nothing wrong by going for his fair market value, and we all should be glad he stayed in the NHL. It's a business, and those that will crucify him for signing a big contract would be wise to remember that. Kabonov did plenty wrong, and will be canned if he doesn't figure it out pronto
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

Not what I meant, the salary he got is all well and good.  The penalties assesed by the league on the Devils because of that deal is what I think  will tick off fans, imagine having to give up 3 1st round draft picks, plus 3 mil against the cap?  That's really harsh and I think the fans will start blaming Ilya for that - and get disgruntled unless they see tons of productivity from him (and/or a cup...)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

I was in favor of picking Kabanov. I still believe he would have been a good pick for the B's. Hindsight being 20/20, I like the players they picked in the 2nd round. Now that I have more insight on them I can see why the B's passed on Kabanov in Round 2.

The Islanders used a 3rd round pick (#65) on Kabanov. If he matures and pans out, he will be the steal of the draft. Well worth the risk of a 3rd round pick, and dealing with his immaturity for the time being, IMO. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Did anyone esle see the play last night when Kabanov basicly had one of our players (Donald?) down in a headlock next to our goal and then sprinted off the ice when he let go? What a pewke!! Someone needs to really put this punk in his place tonight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

Anyone know where to find a roster for the rookie games?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Did anyone esle see the play last night when Kabanov basicly had one of our players (Donald?) down in a headlock next to our goal and then sprinted off the ice when he let go? What a pewke!! Someone needs to really put this punk in his place tonight.
    Posted by bridgemanusa

I didn't realize that was Kabanov, I was right behind the Isles bench.  He was mouthing off fierce after that.  Then his countryman Turskie (something like that) started going at it, and that's when the gloves dropped, but he didn't and then we had a fight after that.

So it was basically started by Kabanov.

Kabanov is a project, he has a long way to go.  I have an entirely different impression of him after seeing him live.  If the discipline problems were to disappear overnight, you can see he has  a LONG way to go with the right mental attitude on the ice.  As I said in another post, his defenseman lost his stick and started to look for Kabanov's, the play turned toward Kabanov and he got the puck (so obviously he didn't give up his stick), but I could just see the wheels turning in his head - he didn't care, he wasn't going to give up his stick.

Plus, he's listed at 177, but I bet dollars to donuts he's 167.  I don't know how much he can bulk up, that's another part of the project.

This whole business about him being the #1 pick in the draft was totally bogus.  Even with his head together - ALL aspects, no.  All aspects of his mental game and attitude together, plus another 30 lbs., now we're talking.  HUGE question mark if that will happen or not.

Sections
Shortcuts