Kessel for Heatley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Kessel for Heatley

As many have stated, we should keep Kessel, Id like to clear up that its not a matter of Mgmt not wanting to keep Kessel, its the fact that he's young, can score over 30 goals a year and should receive a minimum of 5M a year over a long term contract. Basically it doesnt work into future plans to keep he and Krejci and Boston MUST stick to their financial strategy.

I am most worried that the scoring drops. Fans remember the year before last how hard up we were for goals. Savard never puts up big goal numbers and if Ryder takes another dip like in Montreal your relying on guys like Wheeler and Lucic to score. Bergeron is such an X factor and same goes to Sturm missing 50% of the schedule last year.

The best available scorer is the Dany Heatley; maybe one of the best natural goal scorers in the game today. Ottawa needs youth in a bad way. Their depth chart is alarmingly weak. Why not make a package including Kessel and one of Hunwick or Boychuk? Thats one less guy to sign and as a compensation Ottawa be forced to take one of Bergeron or Sturms salary with one of their not so heralded young 850k a year guys. This would get us under the cap with great goal scoring, a mobile defenseman away from a cup run......and for Ottawa they get Heatley out of town and in return a young version of Heatley and a great roster player in Bergy or Sturm. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Re: Kessel for Heatley

Heatley can't come here for a few reasons. One would be his cost. $7.5 million a year is too much to give to more than one player, and should a decision come down to Chara or Heatley I'm going with the big man every time. As for the other side of the cost, he'd drain your young roster talent just getting him over here. I think Kessel has Heatley's potential if he can continue to improve his overall game. Hunwick has the potential to become a dynamic defenseman should he continue to improve, and Bergeron is coming back to form and with more ice time can be the player the Bruins always thought he could be. Why give up 3 great roster players for one headcase. Heatley asks for a trade then vetos the only one worthwhile to Ottawa. Edmonton's execs go to visit him, he likes what he hears but still doesn't want to go. This is not a player you want on the Bruins.
    I am in favor of moving Sturm though, as I think if you can do a straight salary dump of Sturm then you can resign Kessel, Hunwick, Hnidy and Recchi with what the Bruins have left on their cap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

You know, that's not a bad idea.  Personally, I think Chiarelli will wait and see if Kess gets an offer sheet.  If he doesn't, he can pretty much get Kess for whatever amount he wants.  Since the end of the season, one of the things that sticks out to me about the B's is that they really have no one that can just take over a game.  Heatley would give them that.  Having said that, I don't think the B's want Heatley, especially after the way he's handled things in Ottawa.  The B's have to face facts; they'll have to get rid of some salary to free up money for guys like Wheeler and Lucic next year.  I'd hate to see Bergy or Sturm go, but the B's may have to deal one or both to save some money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from viscount3535. Show viscount3535's posts

I was actually just thinking about this myself, and one thing I just read about Heatley seemed interesting. Because Ottowa didn't get the trade done today, they are on the hook for $4M bonus to Heatley. Basically, he just saved his future team $4M; I'm thinking that might have had something to do with his turning down Edmonton.

I also recall that he and Savard are best friends, and imagine the 2 of them together, that's a nice thought.

I like Kessel, but I really think with the way our B's pound on people, Kessel becomes a target because of his size. Heatley stands at 6' 4" and 221 lbs., and Kessel at 6' 0" and 180 lbs., so I think Heatley might fit our team well.

Kessel plays well on the B's, but I think he might get close to 50 goals if he played on a faster euro-style team like Pittsburgh (or Ottowa, not sure how their team looks right now).

It does seem that the money could pose an issue as pointed out already...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I think they would also get rid of Ward and possibly another forward to make the room, and just go with Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick, Ference, and Boychuk. I don't see it happening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Most likely no team will give Kessell more than $4M and give up a 1st and third rounder

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Kessel, Ference and a prospect for Heatley works for me. Heatley is twice the player Kessel is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsweeney. Show bruinsweeney's posts

In Heatley's "me" only world he may think that he is twice the player that Kessel is. This is a guy who should consider himself lucky to be still playing in the NHL. He made a terrible mistake when he was in Atlanta which resulted in someone losing his life.
      Heatley is a selfish hockey player who only cares about his stats; he will never be a team leader. The fact that he went public stating that he wanted out of Ottawa because of certain issues with Cory Clousten was bad enough; then the Sens grant his request to be traded and he refuses the deal! You wanted a trade
    Heatley and now you're going to be picky about where you want to go. I really hope that Stevie Y leaves him off the Team Canada Olympic roster (probably won't happen, though).
     Bringing Heatley to Boston is not an option; it would be a huge mistake. The B's
    braintrust is smarter than that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Heres what I don't undersatnd. Kessel wants like $5 million a year. Heatley makes like $7.5. How are you going to make this trade work??? We don't have the salary cap room. Where you going to get cap room?? Trade Ward??? Who would want him?? Who do we get to replace?? Trade Sturm?? Has a no trade clause. Injury prone last 2 seasons ans makes like $3.5 to $4 million. So unless you can trade some bodies to make room for Heatleys salary. I dont see him coming here. Plus Savard is out after this season. Who will pass the puck to Heatley??? I love Krejci, BUT would rather have Savard passing to Heatly then Krejci. I hope I am wrong But I dont see Heatley in a Bruins uniform.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

In Response to Re: Kessel for Heatley:
    [QUOTE]  Heatley is a selfish hockey player who only cares about his stats; he will never be a team leader. [/QUOTE]

Hmm.. sounds allot like Kessel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoJo30. Show DoJo30's posts

Can anyone start a Topic? At least some people have a clue

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Heatley would be an excellent player in Boston. I doubt ottawa would give him up for Kessel. But I hope I'm wrong. If I were Boston I wouldn't give Kessel away for anybody but Heatley.