Kessel needs to go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpJay76. Show SpJay76's posts

Kessel needs to go

Kessel is soft as hell, he spent more time on his knees and rear end than on his skates. He's not gonna throw a big body check or even stick up for his teamates, He's just not a Bruin type player. Okay, so he led the team in goals, who cares he shoulda had 50 but he's inconsistent and he gives up. He gets more rushes up the ice broke up with his predictable little curl and drag move that defenses know is coming and he gets more shots blocked or misses the net completely more than anyone on the team. I'm not trying to bash Kessel because i appreciate what he was able to accomplish this year for the team but we obviously need to cut salary so these are the reasons i think he should be the one to go. Not to mention that both he and Krejci are likely to miss the start of the season.....well that doesnt put the bruins in a good position to start the year missing 2 of our top 6 fowards.

I would love to see Bergeron go also, I don't think he will ever be the player he was before the concussions. He played better at the end of the year but where was he in the playoffs when we needed him most? Not to mention that he's our 3rd line center. He makes $5 million! That's outrageous for a 3rd line center. Problem is we would never be able to move him because nobody is gonna pay that much for him. Hopefully he will prove me wrong and prove he belongs this year.

Leave hate mail below

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

Re: Kessel needs to go

eh....your opinion....can't knock anyone for that...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

SpJay76 wrote:  "Kessel is soft as hell...He's not gonna throw a big body check or even stick up for his teamates, He's just not a Bruin type player."

Tell us, other than Cam Neely and a handful of others throughout NHL history, how many natural goal scorers have you ever seen who threw body checks, hit people, etc.?  Did 6-time 50+ goal scorer Guy Lafleur hit people (Guy was similar in size to Kessel)?  Practically never.  Did Gretzky?  Ditto.  Did Mike Bossy?  Ditto.  Did the 6'5" Mario Lemiux hit people?  Rarely.  Did 500+ career goal scorer Mike Gartner?  Rarely if ever.  Did Brett Hull?  Ditto.  Did Bobby Hull, The Golden Jet?  Occasionally, but as is the case with most goal scorers, their primary role is to score goals, that's what they're paid to do, that's also why most of them aren't physical players.  So could we please dispense with the ridiculous compaints that Kessel doesn't hit much? 

Also, after you point out that Kessel's "...just not a Bruin type player.", you propose dumping Bergeron?  If Bergy's not a B's type player, I don't know who is. 
    Besides any of that, Bergy improved greatly from March 1 on and should continue to next season, good health provided.

To be sure, Kessel can be frustrating at times, but things aren't always as they appear maybe, eh?

Kessel played 10+ games with mononucleosis, another 20 or so while recovering from mono, and finished off the last 6 weeks of the regular season and all of the playoffs playing with a torn rotator cuff and a bum shoulder, both of which were operated on last week.  Despite all of these hardships, Kessel scored 36 goals. 

Ever had mono SpJay76?  Ever tried to exert yourself when you had it?  Ever played any sport with both a torn rotator cuff and a bad shoulder? 

If so, please get back to us with details on how things went.  If not, I urge you to reconsider your critique of Kessel's 08-09 season, also his lack of penchant for hitting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Like BruinsCountry was saying Kessel doesn't need to throw his body around to be effective, but he does need some defensive awareness and maybe an increase in his hockey IQ. 36 goals at 21 is a hell of an accomplishment, but he could've had that done in his sophmore year if he wanted to. Kessel doesn't utilize his stick handling skills, trying to use speed to take a defenseman head on then trying an old routine to get past the defender every time. Kessel is deadly when beating somebody out for a puck, and when he's got space inside the circle, but he could do so much more with his skill. People say he has 50 goal potential, but I think he has 60 goal potential if he gets the right mentor and fixes his game, something very possible to do by the time he's 24 or 25. As for soft point producers there's none like wideman, a guy who would pee his pants before making a hit. No need for a soft defenseman, and his lack of agressiveness has cost the Bruins alot of goals against this season. As for Bergeron he's returning to form, after getting another concussion he still managed to finish up with roughly 40 points in 60-65 games. If he's given a first or second line minutes and an equally talented cast I think his 100 point potential can be thrown back into the picture. However he will always be one more concussion away from an early retirement, so you have to weigh the options accordingly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Actually Kessel has been gradually learning the backcheck game and made some critical interventions in the finals vs Carolina. There's  a general prejudice against him because he doesn't smash bodies.  But neither does Krejci or Bergy.  The talent of back checking is about timing and position.   Kessel is not just hanging at the defensive blue line or center zone, waiting for a break out.  He's often back in the defensive corners. Watch carefully.  He's nowhere near as good as Bergy or Krejci at it, but he is learning.  No better teacher than our coach Julien, for sure.

The real problem is the cap, and if it comes to losing Kessel vs losing Savard, Bergy, or Sturm, I'd prefer to lose Kessel.  If it's Kessel vs Ryder or Wideman, that's a harder choice.  Probably keep Kes.  Not every day a 40 goal scorer comes along.  And he is fun to watch.  The player market will probably dictate what management can do, as most teams suffer from cap crunch and it's questionable what the demand will be for 4-5 million dollar men.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Mr. Kessel still has some learning to do before he can ask for Savard type money. Kessel is not a 5 million dollar player yet as I do not believe he can score 36 goals without Savard and Looch. His over all game needs alot of work and tends to be to predictable in the few moves he has. If he wants to be smart he should sign a 2yr. 7 million $ contract and build from there. He will not do that and that will force PC to have his first problem child since he took over as GM. If this happens PC will have to trade him and I would not blame him because Phill would be more about the money than the team and this will cause PC problems in the future signing other players. I do not blame Phill for going after a raise but one he is worthy of.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

boys....don't forget Kessels's age...the boy's impressionable and easy talked into the " you are a superstar and you boy DESERVE special player money"...agents ARE STILL the scourge of ALL of the big sports....say what you want but I believe if Chia could sit down mano/mano with Phil...this deal would get done....agents are disgusting filth to which I have NO respect for...then again...maybe it's just me...thoughts?????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpJay76. Show SpJay76's posts

[QUOTE]SpJay76 wrote:  "Kessel is soft as hell...He's not gonna throw a big body check or even stick up for his teamates, He's just not a Bruin type player."   Tell us, other than Cam Neely and a handful of others throughout NHL history, how many natural goal scorers have you ever seen who threw body checks, hit people, etc.?  Did 6-time 50+ goal scorer Guy Lafleur hit people (Guy was similar in size to Kessel)?  Practically never.  Did Gretzky?  Ditto.  Did Mike Bossy?  Ditto.  Did the 6'5" Mario Lemiux hit people?  Rarely.  Did 500+ career goal scorer Mike Gartner?  Rarely if ever.  Did Brett Hull?  Ditto.  Did Bobby Hull, The Golden Jet?  Occasionally, but as is the case with most goal scorers, their primary role is to score goals, that's what they're paid to do, that's also why most of them aren't physical players.  So could we please dispense with the ridiculous compaints that Kessel doesn't hit much?  Also, after you point out that Kessel's "... just not a Bruin type player." , you propose dumping Bergeron?  If Bergy's not a B's type player, I don't know who is.  Besides any of that, Bergy improved greatly from March 1 on and should continue to next season, good health provided. To be sure, Kessel can be frustrating at times, but things aren't always as they appear maybe, eh? Kessel played 10+ games with mononucleosis, another 20 or so while recovering from mono, and finished off the last 6 weeks of the regular season  and all of the playoffs playing with a torn rotator cuff and a bum shoulder, both of which were operated on last week.  Despite all of these hardships, Kessel scored 36 goals.  Ever had mono SpJay76?  Ever tried to exert yourself when you had it?  Ever played any sport with both a torn rotator cuff and a bad shoulder?  If so, please get back to us with details on how things went.  If not, I urge you to reconsider your critique of Kessel's 08-09 season, also his lack of penchant for hitting.
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]

Sorry i hit a nerve buddy but somebody has to go.....who would you suggest, Savard prolly? our #1 center, or Ryder? a goal scorer that can actually stay on his feet and is strong on his skates and will throw a body check from time to time. or Sturm?  he can score just as money goals as Kessel and isnt nearly as soft. I could score 40 goals playing with Savard and Lucic so im sorry im not so impressed. As far as having mono.....ya that stinks, but he was supposedly 100% when he came back. All other injuries are just a part of the game. Last time i checked you didnt skate with your shoulders, no excuse to be slidding around on the ice and be making snow angels.

As far as Bergeron......i said i hope he proves me wrong but regardless of what you think of him $4.75 mil is outrageous for a guy playing 3rd line center scoring 10 goals. Everyone has a soft spot for Bergeron, it would be a hard deal to make but i dont think it would kill the team to make it. It would help with the cap problem immensly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

The OP makes a decent point about Kessel's toe-Drag move. He relies on it way too much, and it is often broken up. But while I shared your opinion before the playoffs began, in the playoffs, Kessel showed he is a closer. He buries his opportunities when they count the most.

I think bruins country probably makes the best points, Particularly about bergeron. I've always loved this guy, and I think he does everything well. Great on faceoffs, great on the PP, plays defense well enough to win a Selke if he plays a full season.

I am not a neurologist, but the randy jones hit was a shot that i don't think he expects to endure again. He isn't like Eric lindross that got concussions for typical hits.

*As i wrote that... I began to think about Bergerons second concussion and how "every-day" that hit was. hmm...

Bruinscountry also makes a good point about typical 40 goal scorers not being physical. I have to agree with you on that one. As long as you don't over-pay him, i think he deserves something like 4.5million per.

SpJay does have a point when he says that the Bruins already have good goal-scorers on this team though. Ryder and Sturm are excellent players and are more physical than kessel and demand a smaller price tag. But i mean, is hossa physical? nope...

This kessel thing is going to be interesting. I do think the reason he wants 5 million is because he was benched in the 2008 playoffs. I think after that, he decided he was going to stick it to the bruins after the 09' season if he really performed well. While I don't blame him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

On Kessel not hitting , it's just not a real reason to trade him or not sign him.
    If he wants  5mill and up, now that can be a problem.
    If the Bruins really believe in him and rumors are true he wants up and around 5mill they will try to free up cap space .
    How will they free up ? 
    Really tough the Bergeron situation, I really really like what he brings.
    It's a kind of a gamble,  but will it payoff ?  His value right now due to his concussions is not too high. Those type of injuries stick on your resume for life in hockey.
    I believe that they will sign Kessel and even by pre-season they will try to dump salary somehow. Even if not done by/on draft day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

The bruins should keep bergeron for the sole fact that Savard has played incredibly since he signed here, enough that he deserves a pay raise, one that the bruins can't afford if they want to keep up the long term success. Bergeron scored 40 points in 60 games on the 3rd line. While he's one concussion away from the end, he's also back to form and given a talented line and more minutes he has the ability to fill the potential he had before he got hit by Jones. While the Bruins can make moves to fit the cap after the draft they need to keep the depth in Providence flowing, and seeing as they're missing their 2nd, 4th, and 5th round picks this year they could stand to get some extra picks if possible. I don't have a problem with the Bruins trading any player as long as they get the market value for that player or above the market value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40yearfan. Show 40yearfan's posts

Bergeron is not going to survive on this team.... He is way too much of a liability. His money is not worth the pair of skates he plays on. He is on the 3rd line for a reason. He is not and will not ever be the same player he was before his injuries.... No single player has ever made an impact after receiving 2 or more concussions......Check out the stats on that....   Plus, he is not smart enough to keep his head up.  Yes, he skates hard but he still does not want to take a "big hit" that will turn a play around....People like me that go to 40+ games a season can see what's happening all over the ice.....   I still think he is an OK hockey player but, giving him anything higher than a 3rd line is crazy.....  and as far as playing the point on the PPlay, he does not belong..... The B's are a rough and tough hockey team right now with a few goal scorers involved.... He just does not fit "the mold".....and neither does Kessel.....  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

LOL.. Scott Stevens never made an impact?

And you're also wrong on Bergeron. Towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, he was one of the best and most consistent forwards on the Bruins. He is an excellent two-way player, and has top-tier play-making skills. He would easily be a second line center on many teams. he also didn't shy away from the corners in the playoffs... he even got in a fight.

Every post that you have made on these boards is just filled with wrong.

Terrible terrible commentary.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

keep them both, they are both young stars on a first place team, shut up habs trolls, Kessell and Bergeron are staying

Sections
Shortcuts