Kessel offer sheet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

Kessel offer sheet

It's believed Kessel's agent is asking the B's for 4.5-5 mil a year.  The B's can sit and wait to see if Kess gets an offer sheet before they match or not.  Problem is, not many teams may want to give up what would probably end up being a 1st, 2d and 3d round pick for Kess.  There is one team that would have the picks and can use the offense:  Anaheim.  Think about it.  They're trying to deal Clowe, they just got rid of Pronger's salary, they got 2 1st round picks and a conditional 3d from the Flyers.  They'd still have their own 1st round pick, all they'd really be giving up for Kess is a 2d round pick.  Ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Re: Kessel offer sheet

In Response to Kessel offer sheet:
    It's believed Kessel's agent is asking the B's for 4.5-5 mil a year.  The B's can sit and wait to see if Kess gets an offer sheet before they match or not.  Problem is, not many teams may want to give up what would probably end up being a 1st, 2d and 3d round pick for Kess.  There is one team that would have the picks and can use the offense:  Anaheim.  Think about it.  They're trying to deal Clowe, they just got rid of Pronger's salary, they got 2 1st round picks and a conditional 3d from the Flyers.  They'd still have their own 1st round pick, all they'd really be giving up for Kess is a 2d round pick.  Ideas?
    Posted by mglsmrso

They traded Pronger to get cap space so they could sign Niedemyer and Selane.  They do not have the cap space to add Kessel as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbone77. Show tbone77's posts

If thats the money kessel wants I say let him walk and take the draft picks. There is no way he should be asking anymore then what kredji got.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

They got the offense they wanted in Joffrey Lupul. As for Kessel I'm not 100% confident but I think the Bruins may have a little extended time to negotiate before an offer sheet comes in. With snipers like Mike Cammaleri, Martin Havlat, Alexi Kovalev and Marian Hossa hitting the market next week, the supply of snipers will not be short. Teams will be more likely to try and sign one of these four because they only cost money, rather than money and a draft pick. However there will be a few teams who lose out on these four and see Kessel as a good consolation prize.
    I could of course be wrong, and some team is intentionally looking to poach him, in which case they may have to send an elephant size bid to either hurt Chiarelli or to make sure he won't match the offer. According to last year's numbers the price for a first, second and third round compensation is between $3,923,434 - $5,231,246, which is attainable. Should a team offer the max on this range Chiarelli may be inclined to match. However a single dollar above the $5,231,246 per year includes an extra first round pick.
    As for what will really happen we'll soon find out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabou. Show mabou's posts

Clowe plays for the San Jose Sharks.
      Maybe Anaheim could afford the picks but probably not the cap space.
      At $4.5 million, I say sign him, move some other players to make it work. Kessel may not be the complete package but he's the closest thing the Bs have had to a pure goalscorer since Neely and Middleton.
    And when 2010 comes around, if Bergeron rebounds, let Savard go. If Bergeron doesn't come around, move him and resign Savard, freeing up some space for the Lucics, Wheelers and Stuarts of our world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

If Kessel signs with another team and the Bruins do not match the offer then I think it is important to remember that the value of the draft picks the Bruins receive in compensation depends largely on how well that team plays in the next few years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

I hate Montreal but if I was Bob Gainey with loads of cap space, a ton of UFAs and a city where no big time free agent wants to play, I would give Kessel a 5-6 mil offer sheet. That would seriously mess with Chiarelli 's head as he would have to match rather than lose Kessel to their biggest divisional rival. And when he does match he has to unload some other talent for nothing because of the cap hit which will help Montreal perform better against the Bruins this year. I hate the thought of Kessel ending up in Montreal but if I were Gainey i would be targeting Kessel.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

everyone please answer this question, if you let Kessel go, who scores the 36 goals that he scored? 

Kessel deal most likely wont get done well after the UFA Forwards sign. 
    offer the same contract you gave to Krejci, he may take it, I dont think a team will pay the guy 4 million plus  and give up 3 draft choices. possible but not likely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Kessel offer sheet:
    everyone please answer this question, if you let Kessel go, who scores the 36 goals that he scored?  Kessel deal most likely wont get done well after the UFA Forwards sign.  offer the same contract you gave to Krejci, he may take it, I dont think a team will pay the guy 4 million plus  and give up 3 draft choices. possible but not likely.
    Posted by ocram

We get Sturm back who should get in the high 20ies and both Wheeler and Lucic should improve their production more that enough to cover it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

If we loose Kessel, there is other players available out to to replace his 36 goals. Kovalev, Cammaleri, Havlat among others. We can trade people to make some cap room. I would not be surprised to have some VETS sign for less money here, because of the way we played last year. They (vets) might think we are very close to winning a cup so they might consider signing here for a bit less to take that chance. Dont forget we have alot of chips in the farm to trade IF we have to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I'd take Havlat (3 year deal) over Kessel right now.  If we could sign Kovalev for one year only, he'd be an acceptable risk.  But I wouldn't take Cammalleri over Kessel, as Cammy's mainly out for himself...a mercenary who inevitably goes to the highest bidder...always has, always will.

Mabou:  though moving Bergeron makes the most sense on paper, if you were an opposing GM, would you risk $4.75 million per year for two more years on a player with a history of concussions?  

FP4877:  Kessel to the Canadiens would not be unlike when Bledsoe played for the Bills against the Pats...bring it on.  You think Julien and the B's wouldn't know how to shut Kessel down?  Can you imagine Kessel coming into the Garden as a Canadien?  He'd handle that even worse than Clemens handled pitching vs. Pedro and the Sox in the '99 playoffs at Fenway.  And that would be every time he came to town, not just during the first match-up. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

everyone please answer this question, if you let Kessel go, who scores the 36 goals that he scored?  Kessel deal most likely wont get done well after the UFA Forwards sign.  offer the same contract you gave to Krejci, he may take it, I dont think a team will pay the guy 4 million plus  and give up 3 draft choices. possible but not likely.
    Posted by ocram

He would have scored 40 if he was not sick with (was it mono?) and some injury time as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Havlat is injury prone. I would not sign him over Kessel. I want no part of Kovalev. He is disappears quite often. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton or Minnesota made an offer sheet to Kessel. Edmonton has the cap space and have a history of making offers to restricted free agents. Kessel would fit the new style of play that the Wild want to play, plus he went to Minnesota. It would seem to be a perfect fit.

I don't think trading Bergeron is a good idea, at least not yet. He was playing better at the end of the year and I think he will have a much better season this year. I'd keep him around at least until they decide if they are going to resign Savard or not and. I'd also keep him for his penalty killing. We may lose both Axelsson & Yelle, 2 of our top penalty killers. Keeping Bergeron would definately help the penalty kill. Also, I don't know how many people would take his salary with his concussion history. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is what I think and said this before. The Bruins might not have a choice with Kessel if he wants more than 4.5 .
    Practically impossible without getting rid of one of those 4mill contracts + (Sturm, Bergeron, or even just losing Kessel) 
    Sturm might be hard to move with his no trade clause and coming back from major knee surgery.
    Bergeron ,  his head cases and that contract... no explanation needed.
    Now Kessel,  this is why he's up to being traded or even losing him to an offer sheet as RFA,  unfortunately this is the best choice.  3 first rounders !!!! maybe 4.
    You can even trade a 1st pick (since we would have 2 in 2010) for a great players during the season.
    This is the best solution if you want to have a team to play a full season and be competitive for a playoff run. 
    Then again I might be wrong. In a perfect world Chiarelli has a plan and everything falls into place and we keep Kessel.  I'm going to sit tight.
    I just hate to see Kess having success outside of Boston.
    The Bob Gainey thought of offering Kessel a contract would not come as a surprise. He's on a war path and has mentioned more than once he would force a GM's hand. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

OK... some coherent stuff was said in this thread.

Yes Kessel is a ninja, but he's a tiny ninja. Been watching a few replays, and it seems he's easy to stop once you put 1 or 2 huge defensive players on the ice. He can't do that self-passing stuff or even take off on his fancy sprints when the game calls for physical play. Some players just have that in their blood.

I concede Kessel is extremely talented, but hockey is evolving fast  and the preferred incoming players are getting bigger by the year, and tougher. Can even the greatest talent survive out there without a commanding physical presence these days? 

But it's not all about size (ahem). Take Savvy, for instance, who plays with the feistiness of someone twice his size. Sure, he's practically perfected the art of passing, keeping the poweplay alive  and creating plays, but even more than that, Savvy's not afraid to get in your face. That goes a long way toward complementing his natural talent and hockey sense (which I think we can all agree is sometimes so good it's 6th-sense-spooky). But how useful is talent without the physical presence?

I say that required presence is about attitude, and not just weight.

Am I the only one who would give up just about anyone to keep Savvy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

If you lose Kessel I think you do have plenty of options next season for scoring in house:
    1. Sturm is back - Yeah he's not flashy like Kess, but aggressive and can score 30+.
    2. Recchi can possibly be re-signed for 1 yr for MUCH shorter money and then you save cash for next off-season with Lucic and Wheeler coming up.
    3. Wheeler should only improve on his rookie season.

It would stink to lose your leading goal scorer, but you have options and an ability to build more younger talented players in with the picks you would recieve in losing him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

BradyBruin ur right. recchi had 16 goals before coming to boston? he ended the season w/ like mid 20's so put that into about 75-80gms and u could have a 25-30 or maybe even mid 30's goal scorer. and the bruins could make a blockbuster deal w/ a player too. u never kno wuts going to happen. wut if hossa isnt getting anywhere w/ his 6MM asking price. its bound to go down if nobody wants to spend the money. so anything is possible. us as fans jus have to play the waiting game and let the professionals talk it out. PC knows wut he is doing so he will help the team no matter wut happens

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

If you lose Kessel I think you do have plenty of options next season for scoring in house: 1. Sturm is back - Yeah he's not flashy like Kess, but aggressive and can score 30+. 2. Recchi can possibly be re-signed for 1 yr for MUCH shorter money and then you save cash for next off-season with Lucic and Wheeler coming up. 3. Wheeler should only improve on his rookie season. It would stink to lose your leading goal scorer, but you have options and an ability to build more younger talented players in with the picks you would recieve in losing him.
    Posted by BradyBruin

Yes with the picks you will receive !!!!  AND during the season any 1st round draft pick can be worth a player like Kovalchuk. We;ll have two frist rounders for 3-4years.  Draft picks make you win cups !
    Kessel wants more than 4.5 , sorry but good bye !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

The Bruins would get some hefty compensation in the form of draft picks if Kessel leaves, but, let's not forget, those draft picks are probably about 3 years away from making a real contribution. What happens to our present window of opportunity with Kessel's production lost? I know, Sturm is back, Wheeler & Lucic will score a few more, etc, etc. Let's not kid ourselves. There will always be other injuries and if you lose your leading scorer, you feel that. This team is close now. I'm not crazy about losing a legitimate 40+ goal scorer. That could set us back, and by the time those draft picks develop (if they do), maybe the window is closed for the current group. I say keep Kessel. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The Bruins would get some hefty compensation in the form of draft picks if Kessel leaves, but, let's not forget, those draft picks are probably about 3 years away from making a real contribution. What happens to our present window of opportunity with Kessel's production lost? I know, Sturm is back, Wheeler & Lucic will score a few more, etc, etc. Let's not kid ourselves. There will always be other injuries and if you lose your leading scorer, you feel that. This team is close now. I'm not crazy about losing a legitimate 40+ goal scorer. That could set us back, and by the time those draft picks develop (if they do), maybe the window is closed for the current group. I say keep Kessel. 
    Posted by BruinsFaninOntario

They could trade one of their 1st round draft picks for a 35-40 goal scorer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cloughd1. Show cloughd1's posts

I agree with the people who say - keep him. Any long term Bruins fan knows how often the B's have given up on a young player, only to have that player go on to be very productive for many years. Kessel is 21 and needs to do nothing but man-up a little more (which comes with age and experience) to be an elite player. Don't let him go unless it is truly financial suicide to keep him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jstuck. Show jstuck's posts

Bruinsunite: I agree, Savvy is definitely worth keeping; unless it's the blockbuster of a century we should not let him go.

Beyond that, anyone who can't see that Sturm is an upgrade from Kessel hasn't watched him play enough. Kessel scored 36 goals and that's great, but Neely says Sturm is capable of putting out 40 in a season, and I'm willing to believe Cam Neely, but even if Sturm can't put up numbers like that, the defining difference between him and Kessel is that Sturm is far better defensively, a left handed shot (which we desperately needed this year) and a scrappy physical player that isn't afraid to go into the corners or in front of the net. Kessel practically disappeared from the surface of the ice when the puck went into these areas this season. Sturm is a lot like Recchi. His goals may not be exciting breakaways and sprints up ice; they're  so called "dirty" goals, scored in the scrums for the puck in front of the net. The fact that Julien actually had to move Chara up as a forward this season on the power play shows how pathetically lacking the B's were in front of the net once lucic was off the ice. Resign Recchi (he'll play for cheap enough: only 1.25 this past season) for a year, make sure you keep lucic and with sturm healthy kessel is unneeded. Looking for a puck moving defenseman is what the Bruins need to be doing, and guess what? That's what they've been doing. The Kaberle deal would have been great for the B's. He's a 2 time All Star that can really control a breakout, which is the final weakness that killed the B's this year. Despite Thomas' play and the B's shut down defense they spent far too long in their own end because any team with a 2-man forecheck or an aggressive 1-man was keeping the B's tied up in the defensive end. The B's were constantly out shot because they couldn't break out of their zone. When they did, one of the SEVEN 20 goal scorers was often able to capitalize. Unfortunately Carolina learned this and sent in aggressive forecheckers; combined with the play of Cam Ward and the B's... well we don't need to get into that, you all know what happened. Forget Kessel, take the picks and the money to keep Hunwick, Recchi, Bitz, Axelsson and Yelle (in that order). That gives you 6 mil to sign the above mentioned players (plus about 2 mil in bonus cushion, which will help with signing Tuuka Rask) and you can always trade some of those draft picks during the year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

If the Bruins lose Kessel, Michael Samuelsson could be a cheaper option. This guy could be a 30+ goal scorer given the opportunity to play on one of the top 2 lines, which he would have in Boston. The guy is extremely talented, but doesn't get the ice time in Detroit because of their depth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

, Posted by jstuck

Can you go correct his name,  it's Neely !

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

No matter how you look at it the Bruins need to release a salary to sign up a competitive roster next season.
    All we can do is sit tight and watch this unfold.  The next couple weeks will be interesting. 

Sections
Shortcuts