Kessel Rumor Source: Monkeys?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Kessel Rumor Source: Monkeys?

NESN and other supposed sports news sources report that... well, they report that the Ottawa Sun reports that... Kessel wants 5 million and that he's probably on his way out.

And I'm reporting that Kessel wants 10 million, because I like that fairytale. any takers?

"...asked about the report that Kessel was seeking a contract worth $5 million a year – which, by the way, would price him right out of the Bruins’ market, unless they unloaded a major salary to compensate — the 21-year-old forward chuckled."

“No, that’s false,” he said. “I don’t know where that gets reported from. I want to be a Bruin, so we’ll see what happens.” source

This 5 mill dollar BS is all over the internet and in print.

I guess all those other 'news sources' that reported on the Ott Sun report assumed the Ott Sun had sources. But-- read the article, people. The Ott Sun says it was just a rumor "on the boards". source

Maybe it's true, maybe it's false. But that can be said about anything. I say there's a squirrel at my door right now. I haven't looked outside and I've never seens a squirrel downtown, but it could be true!

Get serious. Do a Google search for the initial rumor (Ott Sun story: June 7th; initial rumor: ?).

5 minutes of research reveals this is a circus. Our Ott Sun dude got a rumor from this mysterious discussion board and... and that's good enough for all the other sources reporting on the story. Who's the bigger fool?

Hard to say.

I know this isn't the BBC media, but come on. Give us a reason to read sports news. If you've got nothing to report and feel a need to make stuff up, find a job in fiction.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Re: Kessel Rumor, Monkeys & Typewriters

Anybody claiming legitimate numbers is most likely wrong unless it's coming from the Bruins or Kessel's camp. That being said anything is possible, including him moving. However while possible it's also doubtful. While people hate hearing rumors about where he would go and what would we get for them yes it's tiring for some but interesting for the sake of it for others. The entire offseason is spent imagining what will happen next year because until something happens nobody knows.
    All in all we'll find out when we find out, until then people be open minded and creative, if nothing else than to express ideas and beliefs, I mean isn't that what blogging is about?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Re: Kessel Rumor Source: Monkeys?

Bruce Garrioch

Creative is great. Just not when your job is to report about events that actually happened. BG is a "sports writer" for a paper that's supposedly a serious news source in Canada's capital. Yet...

- You heard a rumor? Cool! Where?

- The boards.
     - The boards? What boards?
     - These boards really do exist.
     - OK. But I googled "Kessel" + "5 Million" and there's no rumor.
     - Look at the monkey! Look at the silly monkey!

Garrioch is famous for storytelling. It's foolish to buy into his 'news', but even more foolish to buy into it and report it in your own column... say, on NESN.

That's my own opinion.

I like sports news but there isn't much of it to be found.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Most big news issues aren't broken by newspapers anymore unfortunately. The three publications I watch are TSN, Canada's version of ESPN but centered mostly around hockey, TheHockeyNews.com (the website for the most well known hockey magazine, and thefourthperiod.com (a website that covers all rumors and facts about trades and signings in the NHL. They all have the news right when it breaks, usually in the order that I wrote, and they all have good writers. They might not be the publications to break the story but they have an article on the situation pretty quickly after the story's broken.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsweeney. Show bruinsweeney's posts

I live in Ottawa and I've come to the conclusion that Garrioch takes a bunch of hockey players names, puts them into a hat and pulls out a few and then decides that the names selected will become the rumours of the day. Every now and again he gets lucky and is right!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]   I live in Ottawa and I've come to the conclusion that Garrioch takes a bunch of hockey players names, puts them into a hat and pulls out a few and then decides that the names selected will become the rumours of the day. Every now and again he gets lucky and is right!
    Posted by bruinsweeney[/QUOTE]

What's that saying? Even a broken clock is right twice per day :)

Thanks for the Ottawa input! I was wondering whether anyone there took him seriously...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickl324. Show rickl324's posts

[QUOTE]NESN and other supposed sports news sources report that... well, they report that the Ottawa Sun reports that... Kessel wants 5 million and that he's probably on his way out. And I'm reporting that Kessel wants 10 million, because I like that fairytale. any takers? "...asked about the report that Kessel was seeking a contract worth $5 million a year – which, by the way, would price him right out of the Bruins’ market, unless they unloaded a major salary to compensate — the 21-year-old forward chuckled." “No, that’s false,” he said. “I don’t know where that gets reported from. I want to be a Bruin, so we’ll see what happens.” source This 5 mill dollar BS is all over the internet and in print. I guess all those other 'news sources' that reported on the Ott Sun report assumed the Ott Sun had sources. But-- read the article, people. The Ott Sun says it was just a rumor "on the boards". source Maybe it's true, maybe it's false. But that can be said about anything. I say there's a squirrel at my door right now. I haven't looked outside and I've never seens a squirrel downtown, but it could be true! Get serious. Do a Google search for the initial rumor (Ott Sun story: June 7th; initial rumor: ?). 5 minutes of research reveals this is a circus. Our Ott Sun dude got a rumor from this mysterious discussion board and... and that's good enough for all the other sources reporting on the story. Who's the bigger fool? Hard to say. I know this isn't the BBC media, but come on. Give us a reason to read sports news. If you've got nothing to report and feel a need to make stuff up, find a job in fiction.
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickl324. Show rickl324's posts

Kessel needs to go. They will lose him anyway. Not a big game scorer. Stats go fat on non-playoff teams. Not a player the Bruins want representing them. Never liked him. Send to Colorado with anotehr pick for #3 pick. get something before he walks.