Kessel + Sturm + 1st round pick (25th) for Heatley + 1st round pick (9th)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bennyskylight. Show bennyskylight's posts

Kessel + Sturm + 1st round pick (25th) for Heatley + 1st round pick (9th)

Why this deal would make sense for both teams:  

Ottawa would be getting a young speedy player that can score in bunches and a reliable winger that can also score. Ottawa is in the need of top tiered roster players and this deal would give them two. They would be giving up a top 10 pick, but there are a lot of gems ranked in the bottom half of the first round. I can’t see another team offering more quality for Heatley.
    Boston would be aquiring a perennial all-star forward that should score 50 goals playing with one of the best set-up men in the game. With Kessel demanding big-time cash, this deal could help Boston with their salary cap issues (Kessel 5M? and Sturm 3.5M vs Heatley 7.5M). The Bruins want to build on a year where they unexpectedly fell in the 2nd round after finishing 1st in the Eastern Conference.  Basically, the Bruins would be picking up Heatley for Kessel as Sturm was injured last year and did not contribute to their success. This would mean an improvement on last year’s team, in my opinion. Boston would also be in position to draft Defenseman Ryan Ellis from the Windsor Spitfires. For those of you who are not familiar with this kid, he put up 89 points in 57 regular season games and 30 points in 21 playoff games leading Windsor to the Memorial Cup. He is basically the next Mike Green and would be a tremendous addition to the Bruins back end in a year or two. 

Why I like this deal as a Bruins fan: I feel that this team is close to the ultimate prize, but not quite ready yet. I think adding Heatley would be the key ingredient to playoff success. I am also really high on prospect Ryan Ellis. Points from the back-end are hard to come by in the NHL and this kid would bring them, for sure. Could you imagine a powerplay with Savard, Heatley and Ellis? My mouth is watering……

Why I don’t like this deal as a Bruins fan: I really like Kessel and the player he has become at the age of 21. He obviously hasn’t reached his full potential and that just means more and more goals. Sturm is also no slouch when he is healthy. It seems like a lot to give up, but this probably means that the deal is somewhat fair, considering I am a huge Bruins fan. Obviously this deal probably would never happen considering Sturm has a no-trade clause. I guess he could be replaced with Kobasew, but I think Ottawa would need more in return and it wouldn’t help Boston’s salary situation. All in all, what do you think about this possibility?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Re: Kessel + Sturm + 1st round pick (25th) for Heatley + 1st round pick (9th)

Thats really not bad @ all, but I think I wouldn;t mind seeing almost the same team as last year and have the potential of 12 20 goal scorers : Savard, Kessel, Lucic(he will do it this year) Krejci, Wheeler (BU's princess) Ryder, Sturm, Kobasew, Recchi (please sign him) Bergie if he gets back to form which I know he will, Chara, and wideman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

No, No, No. I don't want Heatley. He is selfish. He isn't a team player. He cares more about his ice time and his stats than he does winning. He is a great goal scorer, but he has forced his way out of 2 places. Not exactly a team guy. I'd much rather sign Kessel if possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Another issue with that one.  Why would Sturm waive his no trade to go to Ottawa??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pretzeller. Show Pretzeller's posts

I really respected Heatley until his whole primadona attitude showed it's ugly head, like a previous poster said he is selfish and is more worried about personal success,(being on the first line, first pp unit) or else he gets mad and will ask for a trade...clouston was trying to get more out of him on the defensive side of the ice trying to make him work harder and earn the the right to be on those top lines, so why would he enjoy playing in boston when julien really stresses 2-way hockey, it seems apparent to me that he doesn't want to play defense. And who says he won't come to boston play half a year and decide "naw I don't like it here either'" and request another trade...I just see huge red flags with him that if I was a gm I wouldnt be burning up the phone lines trying to get him in a B's uniform...I just think he handled his business in a really unprofessional way, I would like to add a guy of his caliber just too many red flags for me personally, but hell I'm not PC so who knows what will happen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I have also thought a Kessel + sturm for Heatley trade would make a lot of sense, but I never really thought about involving the first round picks.

I'd love to see Heatley here for almost the same reasons you've mentioned, and I've said it several times.

This trade would free up a million bucks that could be sent to bitz or Hunwick.It makes sense for both teams.

With that being said, I've read a few "experts" talk about this one.. I google news search for Heatley every day for updates and the skinny is that it would be rare to see a trade like this inside the division.

I think the Bruins would much rather bury kessel in the west coast on a team like L.A.

With that being said, PC has strong ties in Ott as we all know, and he certainly knows how talented heatley is. I garuntee the thought has crossed his mind, and I'm sure he will do what is best for the team.

*on another note: If Sturm is healthy, i think he will quickly remind people that he is a potent offensive player. People like me that would still make the trade for heatley probably have to remember it is not small price to pay to make such a change. The offense you would be giving up in this trade is significant. I think those of us that support this trade just believe the remaining Bruins are capable of picking up the slack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Boston would also be in position to draft Defenseman Ryan Ellis from the Windsor Spitfires. For those of you who are not familiar with this kid, he put up 89 points in 57 regular season games and 30 points in 21 playoff games leading Windsor to the Memorial Cup. He is basically the next Mike Green
    Posted by bennyskylight

Another thing:

I would be very careful about comparing unproven players that haven't stepped into the NHL yet to proven players like Mike Green that was just nominated for the Norris Trophy and scored a rediculous 31 goals for a defensemen.

If GMs knew he was the next Mike Green, he wouldn't be an 8th overall pick, he would be higher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another issue with that one.  Why would Sturm waive his no trade to go to Ottawa??
    Posted by siestafiesta

Bingo Siesta! and why trade Kessel and Sturm in the same division to hurt you!? and most of all...Why would you want 14+ mil dedicated to 2 players (Big Z and Heatley)!? Tampa had that same problem and look where that got them Nowhere after there cup win.

Someone had suggested that we go after Tomas Kaberle as a new puck moving defensemen for the Bs. Must think Brian Burke is not all there. Which we know is not the case. Good call Fiesta...You would've heard Sturm laughing all the way from da Rhineland!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Heatley demanded trades from two last place - garbage teams, not sure you have that same issue on a balanced top-notch Boston team. I would love to see this happen but highly doubt it ever would work within the division.
    I think PC won't pull any roster changing trades and we will ride into next season very similar to the past.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Heatley demanded trades from two last place - garbage teams, not sure you have that same issue on a balanced top-notch Boston team.
    Posted by BradyBruin

Quoted for Truth.

Corey Dillon anyone?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Heatley wanted out of Atlanta because it was a garbage team. He wants out of Ottawa because he didn't have the top minutes and top powerplay after Cory Clouston. He thinks very highly of himself and wants everybody else to think as such. People say Kessel is all about himself, but unless you've got some history prior to the playoffs then you're going off of rumors. Neither Chiarelli or Kessel's camp have tossed around numbers or years, it's stuff made up by various newspapers. As for the trade in general I'd be surprised if Ottawa would make the straight up deal of Kessel and Sturm for Heatley, forget even swapping the picks. Murray may seem desperate in getting rid of Heatley before his bonus comes up, but he's not going to make this trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

I believe the trade from Atlanta was in the best interests of both the Thrashers and Heatley after an off ice incident. 
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/02/04/heatley050204.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jon1498. Show Jon1498's posts

I remember Snyder's death.  That was a tough thing for Heatley and the Thrashers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOOSE. Show TOOSE's posts

Well thought out, but I don't see it happening. The B's have great team chemistry right now and you don't want to mess with that. Kessel with all the talent just isn't your typical Bruins player. He's not physical and he seems to be a bit of a whiner and would not be surprised to see him go. Heatley is a great scorer, but seems to carry a lot of baggage and don't see him as a good fit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonoutlaws. Show bostonoutlaws's posts

Sorry, but Heatley's cap hit is $8m for the next three seasons, $6 in 12/13 and $5 in 13/14. Kessle's salary is coming off the books this fall and Sturm hit is $3.5. The Bruins are already looking to free up cap space, so there's no way this trade would happen. The Bruins would also have to deal Savard or Bergeron and they won't deduct from this line up just to bring in Heatley.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Right on outlaw  !
    Heatly's salary will clog up our cap space for years to come.
    How come knowbody sees this.
    Heatly will be going to a western division team. 
    And yes,  Sturm has a no trade clause .
    The only way I would trade Kessel if we can't sign him is for a top 4-5 pick in this years draft. Within two years any these picks will replace Kessel.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not for trading Kess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Regarding Kessel.  I realize that $$ is an issue right now (sort of paralleling the Rondo situation).  Do you pay this guy max $$ or is he simply too one dimensional?  Obviously, they locked up Kreci ....rightfully so.  He was hurt in the playoffs but he is a solid two way player that will be our next Savard. 

Kessel reminds me of Ricky Middleton when he was with the Rangers.  Bad rap, great talent, one dimensional.  Look what he became.  Looking back a year or two the B's biggest issue, if you recall, was scoring goals.  We now have that problem solved.  My fear is that we will lose that ability as I think Kessel is our one true pure sniper.  If he is dealt, they will have to find a way to replace that.  Just my two cents.  Any more thoughts? 

Sections
Shortcuts