Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy

Just happened during Kings - Wild game (Monday 10/25).  Five minute major and game misconduct.  Will this be reviewed by league for possible suspension?  Tune into VS now for discussion during intermission. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qBeA8v_dWA&feature=youtu.be

Brown had plenty of time to make conscious decision to not tag Miettinen in the head. The league said they were going to police it so they should. As far as suspension two games is what Doan got me thinks ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy

McKenzie says;

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Would be shocked if there's a suspension on Brown-Miettinen hit. Head wasn't "targeted." Not convinced principal point of contact was head.

Wow.  My question to McKenzie.  Are you high on bad street drugs?  Or are you out of your freakin mind?

As clear cut hit to the head as can be.  I wouldn't even say 'similar' to the Savard hit, I would call it as an exact a duplicate as is practically possible. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Definitely a blindside hit to the head.. no elbow though, but the intent to deliver a hit to the head was there.. so if the NHL is going to back up what they said at the start of the season then Brown gets a suspension.. I am figuring 3 games mininum..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

no doubt about that one, he must be suspended

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

It wasn't a blindside hit to the head, but it was a headshot.  I'm glad Miettinen is ok.  It didn't look malicious so i'd give him a game or two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Nice to see the hits to the head being called this season, but this wasn't even in the same League of seriousness as Cooke's hit on Savard last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

This was a "message" call and nothing more, as Dustin Brown has been probably the NHL's hardest, but cleanest hitter since entering the league 4 years ago.

This particular call should not have been made IMHO.  Clearly, Brown didn't target Miettenen's head.  It was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit only, and also was not a full blind-side hit.  Partial blind-side yes, but not a full one.  And Brown purposely appeared to go easy on him, didn't hit him nearly as hard or in the manner in which he could have. 

This was NOT the kind of call the NHL needs to make in order to limit head injuries.  This was a reach at best, done primarily to help "set the tone" for the league's efforts to reduce concussions.  I agree with what the league is trying to do, but I think that making this particular call was wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy:
    [QUOTE]This was a "message" call and nothing more, as Dustin Brown has been probably the NHL's hardest, but cleanest hitter since entering the league 4 years ago. This particular call should not have been made IMHO.  Clearly, Brown didn't target Miettenen's head.  It was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit only, and also was not a full blind-side hit.  Partial blind-side yes, but not a full one.  And Brown purposely appeared to go easy on him, didn't hit him nearly as hard or in the manner in which he could have.  This was NOT the kind of call the NHL needs to make in order to limit head injuries.  This was a reach at best, done primarily to help "set the tone" for the league's efforts to reduce concussions.  I agree with what the league is trying to do, but I think that making this particular call was wrong.
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]

No.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

THis was a hit to the shoulder, wasn't as blindside as the Savvy hit. The follow-thru may have caught his head. Def. should NOT be a suspension for this.
    Listen to Larry Murphy from On the Fly last night - he summed it up perfectly. You can't make the game so that when a guy goes to shoot the puck he suddenly is untouchable. I have no issue with this hit. Watch again - he hit him shoulder to shoulder. The angle makes it look like a head shot - but it WAS NOT.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Bicep hit his head.  That's a head shot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

I thought the rule was point of contact/ target - head was not the point of contact - shoulder was.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

My opinion is that he should get a 1 game suspension.  While there appeared to be no contact to the head, he did blindside a defenseless player.  The league needs to put a stop to these type hits.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I keep playing tnat vid and come up with shoulder to shoulder..but at the last second his head goes down

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

It looks like it was clearly going to be shoulder to shoulder until he shot and rotated his shoulders and put his head forward. The elbow didn't come up and it looked like there was zero malicious intent, nontheless the referee had a better view and if it was a hit to the head it should still be punished. Don't allow any grey areas to develop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Cheap Hit, Period!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

That hit was targeted shoulder to shoulder. At the last moment Miettinen drops his head to shoot. Brown didn't move his arm to target the head (unlike Cooke); he kept his elbow tucked, and it wasn't from the blind side.

Bob McKenzie has it right (via Twitter):

Would be shocked if there's a suspension on Brown-Miettinen hit. Head wasn't "targeted." Not convinced principal point of contact was head.

Don't blame ref for call tho. Bang bang play. If rule is there, will get called on close ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Brown made an attempt to come Laterally instead of Diagnol from the blindside, but still came somewhat from the blindsie. Brown kept his arm tucked which is good but he still came up from behind/blindside on a vulnerable player and threw a lateral check.

If it looks like a blindside hit weather or not Head contact was achieved the risk is still there IMO its able to be penalized.

The rule cant be like "No blindside hits targeting the head, but if you come in slightly less blindsided and sorta tuck your elbow its ok" call one you gotta call em all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

This is what makes me furious about the reffing in the NHL.  The ref is HOW FAR from the play!?!?! and I can understand what he THINKS he saw, but there is no way he hit him in the head.  Miettinen WOULD NOT have jumped up that quick had it been a head shot.  It was shoulder to shoulder, with MAYBE a little follow through hitting the head but at the same time, when contact was made, Miettinen went flying and it made it look much worse. 

I dont understand why the league cant have an "official" review when something serious like this happens.  Brown shouldnt have been ejected.  BS call by a ref who is wrong, and if the league does anything else to Brown, the league is headed down the sh*tter QUICK, because this will open a HUGE can of worms. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

So what's a ref to do give Brown a lie detecter test to see if he intended to hit Miettinen in the head. Get real.
    He hit his head and the rule applies.

Stop these kind of hits.   Period!

A suspension will send a clear signal that is not going to be allowed. It's dangerous and unnecessary

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Kings Dustin Brown ejected for hit to head - similar to Cooke's hit on Savvy:
    [QUOTE]This is what makes me furious about the reffing in the NHL.  The ref is HOW FAR from the play!?!?! and I can understand what he THINKS he saw, but there is no way he hit him in the head.  Miettinen WOULD NOT have jumped up that quick had it been a head shot.  It was should to should, with MAYBE a little follow through hitting the head but at the same time, when contact was made, Miettinen went flying and it made it look much worse.  I dont understand why the league cant have an "official" review when something serious like this happens.  Brown shouldnt have been ejected.  BS call by a ref who is wrong, and if the league does anything else to Brown, the league is headed down the sh*tter QUICK, because this will open a HUGE can of worms. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

We have the benefit of slo motion replay. The official has to make the call in an instant. I'd rather he err on the side of caution

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

I can't blame the ref in the moment its difficult to tell, but no further discipline should come down on Brown for this. This is not what the rule was made for. Nash should be suspended for what he did to Giordano before Brown for this. Nash only got a fine I believe for a cross check to the face.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

duinne, thats what Im saying.  Its a marginal/bad call so let it go from here on out.  Hes already sat out a game (he was ejected) so thats enough.  But why cant there be an official review to make sure the correct call is made when its something this serious?  It wouldnt take much to review it upstairs with slow motion when it comes to a player being ejected.

The guy who broke Boychucks wrist should have been suspended.  Its a much worse offense as he MEANT to slash him.  I really dont understand how the league operates in these incidents.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]So what's a ref to do give Brown a lie detecter test to see if he intended to hit Miettinen in the head. Get real. He hit his head and the rule applies. Stop these kind of hits.   Period! A suspension will send a clear signal that is not going to be allowed. It's dangerous and unnecessary
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Wow, looks like a smorgasbord of opinions on here .. Blindside hit , no blindside hit, hit to the head, no hit to the head, shoulder to shoulder , no shoulder to shoulder victim at fault for dropping his head.. starting to understand why Campbell's job in dealing with all this is a thankless job.. too many interpretations at hand..

The fact of the matter should be that he made contact with the head no matter what, and it was blindsided because Miettenin didnt see him coming ..so by letter of law as NHL layed out contact to head means suspension..end of discussion.
    If not then it opens up another can of worms...