Kovy....I must be freakin dense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Kovy....I must be freakin dense

I must be dense or a borderline moron because I can't grasp the concept of mortgaging a significant part of the Bruins future for an unsigned  rental who will at most just increase our odds of making the playoffs....nothing more given the way this team has performed this year.

So will someone educate me by providing one good reason why the Bruins should consider giving up potetially a high draft pick, a young roster player and a good future prospect for a rented Kovalchuk. Okay...I'm listening.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Re: Kovy....I must be freakin dense

The question will Kovy. come to Boston the way we are playing or he may want a chance at the team that will contend for the cup. Boston can't risk a rental like Kovy unless it is a locked deal for at least 3 years because it takes 3 years to build a stanley cup team in this era. The teams that are Cup winners with in the next 3 years are SJ LA CHIC PITS WASH BUFF we had our chance twice last year and Joe Thornton era when MTL.eliminated us in game 7 after we were up 3 games to 1. Boston will contend for the cup three years from now. Usually a coaching change, a great draft pick or two and a smart FA signing. PC did it and the team blew it.
    Chara and Savard FA Lucic Krejci and Thomas was our miracle goalie another thing a team needs for playoffs consistent goaltending and Thomas one bad rebound game over. I am not blaming Thomas but he should cover up and he will always be one of my favorite USA born goalies he is emotional and nail biting goaltender to watch. This the Canadian Boston sports team fan writing later, "you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish." GO BRUINS,CELTS and SOX

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Canbostondoit...good points. So I'll put you down as a no to signing Kovalchuk as a rental. Now to those of you who keep saying we should still sign him as a rental....I am still waiting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

"Not I says this Bruin's fan".  Although Waddel is in a real conundrum.  If he insists on no negotiations for a Kovy contract beyond this year, he will be left with less options if the trading begins.  He has only a few teams to deal with and those teams know it.  If he keeps Kovy, he risks losing him during the free agent period. My guess is he moves Kovy before the Olympics like very soon with rights of negotiation.  The players acquired will be used to help Atlanta stay in the playoff picture.  Hope Kovy likes the SoCal area! Chiarelli maybe playing his cards to land Kovy by chance.  The Bruins GMs mantra must be to keep the picks.  Now once Kovy is traded or signed or both, the other trades will follow most likely in March. The Bruins are only players in the buying market if they can turn around the tail spin.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

I'm assuming Waddell is still not letting the Bruins negotiate a possible contract extension with Kovalchuk, because Chiarelli keeps saying he will not trade TOR's 1st round pick.  I really hope that this is the case, because if the Bruins can sign Kovy long term, they should definitely trade TOR's 1st rounder, and any other picks to get the deal done.  It's as simple as:

Trade for Kovalchuk signed to an extension: GIVE UP TOR'S 1ST ROUND PICK!!!
    Trade for Kovalchuk as a rental: Don't give up TOR's 1st round pick

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

FP4877, You have more or less spelled out exactly why a trade has not and will not happen between Boston and Atlanta involving Kovalchuk.

The team is not going to part with high draft picks. They will use the future potential of success with these draft picks to string all of us along for a few more years when they will POTENTIALLY be a contender.

I have seen this organization scrap the team and do a half-@ss rebuilding job way too many times. At this point I am ready for them to sink to the bottom and rebuild completely. Keep all the picks, keep the younger players who show promise and dump all the aging veterans. They have always tried to keep a middle of the pack team and rebuild while fooling us all into thinking they can still compete for the Cup.

This year's team has zero chance of winning a Cup. At the very best they could get everyone healthy, get a few lucky bounces , make the playoffs and be a darkhorse and win a couple of rounds....honestly that would be about the best I could hope for, right now. Adding Kovalchuk would come at the expense of an existing roster player ( LOOK WE ALL KNOW THEY WOULD ONLY WANT SOMEONE WHO IS ACTUALLY GOOD, WHICH MEANS LUCIC,BERGERON, KRECJI ) and it is shooting yourself in the foot to deal away a useful piece. THEY AREN'T GOING TO WANT A DUD PLAYER LIKE STURM OR RYDER.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Ok, i'll bite.   The pick that really matters is the TOR pick.  Yes, the low 1st is valuable and the pool is loaded with talent, 11 through 23.  But, the trade-off is the Bruins having a bonafied scorer on the PP and top line that could make winning 14 of 17 in March, realistic.  That would almost guarantee them a spot in the playoffs, if they manage to keep it close during these next 2 weeks.  Then, what Kovy would bring to the playoffs.  He's certainly a better player than the one we traded to Toronto.

That being said, I don't know if this team even wants to make the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

I just don't get why Waddell won't let the Bruins negotiate with Kovlachuk.  It's not like the Thrashers are going to be able to resign him at the end of the year.  And if he does let other teams talk with Kovy, he would get more with a trade, because it wouldn't be for a rental player.  It just makes no sense whatsoever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Hey Thomas-god, I know what you're thinking, but I read that the reason Waddell has barred other teams from talking to Kovy & his agent for now is because the Thrashers themselves are still trying to sign Kovalchuk, and the Thrashers don't want any competition as long as they still think they have a chance at keeping him. I know I know, I thought that was ridiculous too. I laughed when I read it. I too think if Atlanta and Kovalchuk had a chance together, the Thrashers would've gotten this done long ago, but that's what this article said. Sounds crazy, but makes sense too. Anyway, the article also said that the Thrashers were probably only going to try for a couple more weeks, then give up and let other teams in because, as you say, they would get a lot more back if their trading partner knew he was mpre than just a rental.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

lets not forget that Atlanta is AHEAD of the Bruins in the standings, why would they trade the best player in their history to a competitor in the East?  I realize that the B's can offer a good package however dont you think IF he gets moved he is going to be a rental for a WESTERN conference team.

The bruins are more than 1 player away from being a good team, don't do the deal!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

TT-god   Leverage against Kovy is the only thing I can assume.  He also doesn't want to disrupt the play of the Thrashers at this point is the only other thing I can think of.  Yes, it is strange.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

But ocram, do you actually think Waddell believes his team has the ability to make a legitimate run in the playoffs?  I don't think so.  If I were him, I wouldn't care who I traded Kovalchuk to, as long as that team offered me the best players/prospects/picks in return.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Ill give you that TT god, Atlanta will go for the best package.  but all things being equal dont you think they'd move him out west? I'm in the minority thinking that Atl will re-sign him or keep him for the balance of this season and try for the post-season (like Bowmeester last season).   besides the B's have to move some contracts out in order to fit Kovy under the cap.  Its not as easy as giving them the best deal, its giving them the best deal and unloading a contract to fit him under the cap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

True that, brother.  But the Bruins don't necessarily have to unload their large contracts in the Kovalchuk deal, they could do it beforehand.  The Bruins clearly need the offense, and Julien's defensive style isn't making things any better.

Sections
Shortcuts