Lashoff Traded To Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Lashoff Traded To Leafs

Simply passing this along, folks.  Burke just announced former first round pick, perennial minor leaguer and ex-Bruin Matt Lashoff was traded to the Leafs for two other minor leaguers, LW Stefano Giliati and RW Alex Berry. 

Sounds like a depth move.  I can't see him cracking the Leaf D.  For those who saw him play whenever he was called up by the Bruins, what did his game lack that prevented him from living up to expections?  Just wondering.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs

Just two things keep Lashoff from being an impact player:
    Confidence
    Aggression.
    And mostly the former...

In Response to Lashoff Traded To Leafs:
    [QUOTE]Simply passing this along, folks.  Burke just announced former first round pick, perennial minor leaguer and ex-Bruin Matt Lashoff was traded to the Leafs for two other minor leaguers, LW Stefano Giliati and RW Alex Berry.  Sounds like a depth move.  I can't see him cracking the Leaf D.  For those who saw him play whenever he was called up by the Bruins, what did his game lack that prevented him from living up to expections?  Just wondering.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hahhha... Burke got the 1st pick back!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Did Yzerman throw in Bochenski ? Maybe he can skate with Versteeg ahh no wait Brandon can't keep up with Kris LoL!

PS. Yes I know Bochenksi is a free agent...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Alex Berry, decent player, lots of grit

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

At this point I can only assume that Lashoff , Karsums and that 2nd round pick, would be working better than a 42 year old Recchi. I guess we'll see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs:
    [QUOTE]At this point I can only assume that Lashoff , Karsums and that 2nd round pick, would be working better than a 42 year old Recchi. I guess we'll see.
    Posted by BeantownBDH[/QUOTE]

Well, considering Lashoff couldn't crack Tampa's vaunted lineup, Karsums is playing for Riga in the KHL, the Bruins have made out pretty well in the draft recently and Recchi had 18 goals and 25 assists while skating on one of the top shut-down lines in the NHL, I'd say it's worked out pretty well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Lashoff Traded To Leafs:
    [QUOTE]Simply passing this along, folks.  Burke just announced former first round pick, perennial minor leaguer and ex-Bruin Matt Lashoff was traded to the Leafs for two other minor leaguers, LW Stefano Giliati and RW Alex Berry.  Sounds like a depth move.  I can't see him cracking the Leaf D.  For those who saw him play whenever he was called up by the Bruins, what did his game lack that prevented him from living up to expections?  Just wondering.

Thanks bleeder, Dog, Bergeron, others, for your replies.  I was always curious what held him back from being what seemed nothing more than an injury call-up with the Bruins, especially being a first-rounder.  Now, TB has also sent him packing.

//Hahhha... Burke got the 1st pick back!// islamorada, that is a classic line! Brilliant!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs : Well, considering Lashoff couldn't crack Tampa's vaunted lineup, Karsums is playing for Riga in the KHL, the Bruins have made out pretty well in the draft recently and Recchi had 18 goals and 25 assists while skating on one of the top shut-down lines in the NHL, I'd say it's worked out pretty well.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

True enough, duinne.  The deal paid dividends for the B's.  That said, would you consider Lashoff a waste of a Bruin first round pick in terms of he, himself, never helping the club?  Wasn't he an MOC choice?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I guess when Burke said he was really gonna reshape the Leafs roster, he wasn't kidding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs : True enough, duinne.  The deal paid dividends for the B's.  That said, would you consider Lashoff a waste of a Bruin first round pick in terms of he, himself, never helping the club?  Wasn't he an MOC choice?

Yes, he was drafted in 2005.

Whether you can call him a waste of a draft pick depends on your criteria, I suppose. He's never been more than a good AHLer, but he did net a solid return, so you can be the judge. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs : Yes, he was drafted in 2005. Whether you can call him a waste of a draft pick depends on your criteria, I suppose. He's never been more than a good AHLer, but he did net a solid return, so you can be the judge. :-)
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

duinne, I'm just pleased with any deal the B's make working out in their favour-like this one.  I can't remember if Lashoff was highly-touted but as things turned out, it doesn't matter.  He'll be with the Marlboros in the A.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Don't forget Jared Knight is a product of the Lashoff/Karsums deal.

Maybe it's confidence, but I've always thought Lashoff had a 10c head.  One of those guys that has great tools, especially as a skater, but can't put it together.  The fact he can skate just means he gets even farther out of position on mis-reads than a guy who isn't a great skater.  When he gets his shots blocked, the big shot means the riccochet ends up half-way to the red line.  Etc.  Don't miss him.  Hope he's the guy they plan to give Kaberle's minutes when they deal him.  Shold be good for another 6 point drop in the standings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget Jared Knight is a product of the Lashoff/Karsums deal. Maybe it's confidence, but I've always thought Lashoff had a 10c head.  One of those guys that has great tools, especially as a skater, but can't put it together.  The fact he can skate just means he gets even farther out of position on mis-reads than a guy who isn't a great skater.  When he gets his shots blocked, the big shot means the riccochet ends up half-way to the red line.  Etc.  Don't miss him.  Hope he's the guy they plan to give Kaberle's minutes when they deal him.  Shold be good for another 6 point drop in the standings.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    How is Knight part of the Tampa deal(rather than the Kessel deal)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Lashoff is the epitome of zero smarts. He looked good on size, strength, skating, but he could not understand how the game is played and where he should be on the ice. No loss and definitely helpful in the trade bin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins gave up Tampa's 2010 2nd rounder for Florida's Siedenberg and Matt Bartkowski after spinning Morris to Phoenix for a 2011 4th rounder that became a 3rd rounder because Derek re-signed in Phoenix.

PC paid for his mistake of the Morris signing. Tallon picked up Red Deer's 6ft Dman Petrovic with Tampa 2nd rounder so we'll see the results in a few years with how Byron Bitz, Denis Siedenberg, Matt Bartkowski, Derek Morris and the draft picks are all doing. Ah the wonderful world of UFA mistakes and draft day guess work/scouting, trade deadline gambles as the NHL turns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Lashoff has to fall into the flat-out bust category at this point.  He looked awfully nervous and jittery in a Bruins uniform and the move to Tampa was supposed to be the big new chance for him.

Didn't Alex Berry play for Umass?  Isn't he Boston-area guy?  If I'm thinking of the same guy, he was fun to watch in college.  Tough, power forward type.  A Burkie kind of player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lashoff Traded To Leafs : How is Knight part of the Tampa deal(rather than the Kessel deal)?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Because I hadn't had a coffee and that tends to warp reality.

Post-coffee: Can't forget that the 2nd from T-Bay allowed the Bruins to acquire Seidenberg.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Matt Lashoff will lead the Toronto Marlies into the AHL Playoffs.

Could there be a Marlies-Providence final or semi-final in the making?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

It seems to me that the production of offensive defensemen is quite volatile.

Seidenberg (optimistically speaking) broke out at the olympics at 28.  We saw Wideman as Dr. Jekyll (first 1/2 of year here) and as Mr. Hyde (no cheap shot needed).  Lashoff was a bust (and it seems like there are a lot of offensive defenseman busts).  Hunwick can go from "quick learner" to "space cadet" in a single shift!

I dont know, maybe its just me.  But the role of offensive defenseman seems to be one of those "crapshoot" positions where a guy can break out at any time, or revert to mediocrity at any time (like relief pitching in baseball).

If he wasnt on the leaves or the habs, id wish him the best. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lol!  Terminology's a beyatch.  And you're right - we need to distinguish the Lashoffs and Widemen and Hunwicks of the world from guys like Seidenberg who may put up 40 points but who aren't so much "offensive defensemen" the way those other three are; he's a three-zone defenseman who puts up points because he passes well and puts offensive players in good position to do their things.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Lol!  Terminology's a beyatch.  And you're right - we need to distinguish the Lashoffs and Widemen and Hunwicks of the world from guys like Seidenberg who may put up 40 points but who aren't so much "offensive defensemen" the way those other three are; he's a three-zone defenseman who puts up points because he passes well and puts offensive players in good position to do their things.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

So we need three categories?

- Defensive defenseman (Mark Stuart)
    - Offensive defenseman (Mike Greene, Thomas Kaberle)
    - Tweener? (Seidenberg)

Whatever the category, defensemen do take longer to develop in the NHL than forwards, so often patience is warranted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Keep track of this, fellas.  Duinne's new game is to copy things I've written and when asked about it, will say, "Oh, I have him on ignore".

Honestly, Duinne, are you six years old?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Let's not forget that Seidenberg is one of the NHL's leading shot blockers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Andrew Alberts can't be considered a "defensive defenseman to the extreme" because he has never, to my knowledge, played defense effectively.  Hal Gill would be a better fit.  No real skills with the puck, just a big tree right in the middle of your lie.  I cannot dispute the definition of Mike Green.

Let's avoid the potential flurry of categories and just say Seidenberg is a Defenseman.  Period.  He does all the things you want a defenseman to do with varying degrees of success, but generally, it's a degree of success rather than failure.  Thusly and therefore - when you say Mike Green is an "offensive defenseman" what you're really saying isn't "boy that Mike Green can put up some points" but "boy, Mike Green's lucky he can put up some points because if he had to earn a job based on his defensive ability, he'd be hungry and homeless."  Or "Good thing Hall Gill is hard to shoot around or pass around once he's in position, because if he got paid for points alone, he'd be better off as a special greeter at WalMart."

Think of it this way: Bobby Orr wasn't the greatest "offensive defenseman" in history.  He was the greatest defenseman.  Ray Bourque wasn't the defining offensive blueliner of his generation.  He was the defining blueliner of his era.  Etc.

Sections
Shortcuts