Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players.

I had to laugh after listening to Wilson call out his players for making peewee mistakes defensively in ot vs Buffalo. Guess who didn't pick up his check in ot.

Phil Kessel was the culprit but did i really have to tell anyone that. Well Wilson you better get used to that as he will be unaccountable all year defensively.

Hey Marco and Rattlehead the well seems to be drying up for him goal wise as well as he hasn't scored in his last 3-4 games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players.

Kessle isnt worth it.....

Although he'll finish the year with around 25 goals. So basically right now he has 14 goals and sturm has 10. So we're down 4 goals this year.....Sturm can catch him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players.:
    [QUOTE]Kessle isnt worth it..... Although he'll finish the year with around 25 goals. So basically right now he has 14 goals and sturm has 10. So we're down 4 goals this year.....Sturm can catch him.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

man, these are the silly posts that just awakens the beast in me.
    listen, kessel has 13 goals and yes sturm 10 but u forgot just a little detail, kessel has played 10 less games then sturm. and sturm even with 10 more games played will not catch kessel unless kessel gets hurt, now i would wish i wouldn't had to even said about the fact that if kess gets hurt, this should be understood but i get the feeling u need to be told.

anything else

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Marco what you don't get here is there are other things involved in hockey besides scoring goals. The other things are back checking and being a team player, plus the ultimate goal winning games.

Your very distorted as it was Kessels coach that called him out, not me or anyone else on this board. I really don't have a line to talk to Burke or Wilson but by the sounds of it you might so gather there opinions and share them with us.

Marco from what i gather Kessel and this is only form what i have read Kessel wasn't liked by his teamates on the Bruins or his college team.

Marco you also shouldn't put words in my mouth, i haven't stated that Kessel won't score 20 goals. Kessel could score 30 goals but who cares. The deal we got from the Leafs was very reasonable as it allowed us to retain other good players and it also gives good draft picks. I have read your other posts about Kessel getting 50 goals and 100 points. I think you have a overated opinion of Kessel as realistically only the true superstars will get there in todays NHL.

I have a question for you Marco would you trade Kessel for Backstrom from the caps. Please answer it intelligently.My bet was the Leafs would do it in a heartbeat. The only problem here is the Caps would never do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

wood, i understand fully that there are other things aside from gs, but scoring goals is the hardest thing to do. it's natural, u cannot teach it. I don.t mean to undermine leadership qualities but u need talent. I once posted if it's inly about leadership then let's bring messier here, one of the true great leaders.and i asure u that it won't be his leadership that ultimately defines him it will be his talent and he was talented.

what i am ttelling u is that kessel backchecking or lack thereof in ur opinion, is notwithstanding, his pros far outwigh his cons, Now, wood any team i the nhl would take him in a blink of an eye, he has just too much talent.

Wood, u say the  deal we got was reasonable, just try to bear with me and keep an open mind. First off right nmow  we have nothing, and there is a likelihood that none of thos epix mount to anything. do u agree.
    another thing gm';s are also businessmaen of sorts, i do not know how old u are the reason i am saying this is because today i understand things  from a businees standpoint and differnt perspectives, In my younger days i would not ananlyze the way i should and just accept and cheer since mgmt nmust know what they are doing.

going back to a gm being a businesman of sort, Pc put himself in a predicament with kessel pc also admittedly  said that he let the Kess negiotiations get to the point of no return(posted on nesn.com from writer james murphy). Now, he trades keseel to tor and our outcome from this trade rests entirely on tor's standing. U neevr ever put ur chips in the other teams hand never. thats bad business
    maybe this makes sense to u and maybe not but wood, i am a quite successful businessman, no bill gates but quite successful, and try to be at leats open to that.

Wood as far as kess not bei ng liked from his teammates, first off i read in an article that wheeler keeps in touch with kess 2-3 per week and wheeler said back in sept that if kessel has his way he would stay in bostion.from wat i understand krejci is also a good friend of his and so his sav.

here's anothe point do u agree that nhlers are pros- of course right.
    ok then if there is dissension in the clubhouse and maybe not the ideal comraderie as long as they hit the ice it's show time and come together that's what counts. I looked at kessel's all 42 goals and let me tell u they all seems happy celebrating together on many of his goals,

i see kessel more of a 40-45gs and yes possiobly get a yr or 2 of 50 but consistentl a 45 gs and also very importantly a playoff player.If i have overrated him  so did hitchcock, burke, gorton, the entire bruins scouting staff who had him at number 1 in the draft.  the usa team, the usa olympic team, college hockey in mnn. etc...

for ur last question the way u word it , it's clear that answering it the way u want me too would make it intelligent for u.any other way would not be smart according to the way the question is asked,
    here is my answer,
    Backsrom was a very highly touted kid back in the draft from sweden.I have watched him and he is a solid player with good potential. He is NOT a game breaker, he is NOT a sniper. He is not a 40gs plus. i think u can expect him to score 30 as he matures. he is a good passer.

i yeel un this wood, burke would never trade for backstrom, Toronto needs a gamebreaker an exciting high flying player. they would not trade kess for backlstrom however thats not to say that any team would choose kess over backstrom depends on where team is.

i could understand when u say kess has not proved himself enough, really i get that. so let's see how he finishes up this yr but here is another problem.
    fans say that kess did niot deserve 5m because of one good yr yet lucic has proven wat nothingh, u don't get pts for fighting , u do not win cups with fighting. kess has an outstanding minor league track record that made him a number one.

for me i lokk at a pleyer and it's clear the talent his undisputable, now will he decide to get lazy, or not play to his full potential that's another story.
    i said it b4 this kid has the talent to be a great elte player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The funny thing about all this is this:

The man who is considered by many to be the greatest hockey player ever, Wayne Gretzky, never backchecked a game in his life.Neither was his side kick, Paul Coffey very good at checking or the defensive part of the game. I wonder if Gretzky played in today's NHL , he would also be called a selfish, one way, non-team player because he never played defense.

But that was a different time, a different kind of hockey. Today most coaches expect a two-way game from all their players. Some players just don't get into the part where they are supposed to help out stopping the other team score.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players.:
    [QUOTE] kess has an outstanding minor league track record that made him a number one. for me i lokk at a pleyer and it's clear the talent his undisputable, now will he decide to get lazy, or not play to his full potential that's another story. i said it b4 this kid has the talent to be a great elte player.  
    Posted by marco100[/QUOTE]
    Dude, you just said it all right there and are proving mine and other posts.  He WOULD have been #1 overall, but the issue with him was that he was a head case and that brought him to #4 - and that was a correct assesment.  "Will he decide to get lazy" - are you kidding me?  How much lazier can a player be?  Look, talk about on ice responsibility, what about Ovechkin and Crosby?  Are they allowed to roam and not back check like Kessel?  NO THEY DON'T.  Kessel has tremendous talent.  He has speed and a quick shot.  If you want to get to the science of it all, he has "fast twitch" muscle.  This enables to to be a fast sprinter and other things athletic that require a quick burst of energy.  It's a rare gift.  Rewording your last sentence is exactly what I've been saying, IF he gets more responsible and tries to do more - he WILL become an elite player.  IF he continues to do ONLY what he's doing, he is not going to get away with it in the NHL.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players. : Dude, you just said it all right there and are proving mine and other posts.  He WOULD have been #1 overall, but the issue with him was that he was a head case and that brought him to #4 - and that was a correct assesment.  "Will he decide to get lazy" - are you kidding me?  How much lazier can a player be?  Look, talk about on ice responsibility, what about Ovechkin and Crosby?  Are they allowed to roam and not back check like Kessel?  NO THEY DON'T.  Kessel has tremendous talent.  He has speed and a quick shot.  If you want to get to the science of it all, he has "fast twitch" muscle.  This enables to to be a fast sprinter and other things athletic that require a quick burst of energy.  It's a rare gift.  Rewording your last sentence is exactly what I've been saying, IF he gets more responsible and tries to do more - he WILL become an elite player.  IF he continues to do ONLY what he's doing, he is not going to get away with it in the NHL.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Bad habitude, maybe kess was a head case as u say which made his stock drop but in the past drafts we  can see that teams have clearly made mistakes for ex. drafting lawton and turgein b4 yzerman.
    now u say he cannot be more lazy, fact is he still scored 42 last yr including playoffs, he did very well last yr in playoffs with a cuff injury, Don't u agree that the playoffs is where it counts and where it tightens up and yet he had 6goals in 11 games .this yr lazy or not he has 13 goals in 25 games thats 42 goals in a full season. let's see how he finishes but if he scores 30 or more this yr , it will have been a good yr since he has missed 10 games already.

some said that mario lemieux the best forward i ever saw was too lazy.
    Cut kessel some slack too much has been said on his demeanor, yet this kid does what he is supposed to do and thats score goals.he is also a plus 3 on a team that is in my opinon awful. in boston he would have been a plus 10 and more.

about crosby, whatever attrbutes he has , if malkin isn't there no way pens win cup and vice versa.

bottom line talent talent wins cups, this has been clearly showed when the bruins lost against the habs, the oilers and the pens. we just never had enough talent. and yes of course u do need goaltending .
    bruins always got circled around because these teams had too much offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Guys hold on here comparing Kessel to Lemieux and Gretzky as just crazy. These guys were hockey icons something that Kessel may never be able to obtain. I really have my doubts he will become a member of this elite club. Zillagod i know it was a comparison on on back checking but these guys did play in a different era and did put up consistent offensive numbers something that the jury is out on Kessel.

Marco as far as any team wanting Kessel ask yourself why the Leafs were really the only team that stepped up to the plate to deal with the gms. In essence i guess your saying the other 29 gms were clueless. I would say that because if any team thought they could obtain a superstar like you profess will become why didn't they try to acquire him. I guess Burke is the only smart gm in hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Zilla, Gretzky was a master at sneaky backchecking - he'd lift guys' sticks and head the other way in one quick move.  As for Coff, as a defenseman, even saying that had to backcheck says it all - the guy was so far up ice all the time.  He wasn't much of a defender, but he was great at keeping other teams from sustaining any pressure because he got to dump ins so quickly and could wheel out around the forecheckers.  Neither guy was a liability - until their twilight years - in the way Kessel often is.  And both were called selfish players even in the '80s, until success turned "selfish" into "making the players around you better."

Honeymoon's over for K. in T.O., and when reality sets in and Wilson lights him up a few times, the media there will smell blood and that will be all she wrote for a guy whose response to criticism is often to be stubborn and morose.  Good for the B's in that I don't see the Leafs sustaining much of their current momentum if Kessel settles into a funk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]Guys hold on here comparing Kessel to Lemieux and Gretzky as just crazy. These guys were hockey icons something that Kessel may never be able to obtain. I really have my doubts he will become a member of this elite club. Zillagod i know it was a comparison on on back checking but these guys did play in a different era and did put up consistent offensive numbers something that the jury is out on Kessel. Marco as far as any team wanting Kessel ask yourself why the Leafs were really the only team that stepped up to the plate to deal with the gms. In essence i guess your saying the other 29 gms were clueless. I would say that because if any team thought they could obtain a superstar like you profess will become why didn't they try to acquire him. I guess Burke is the only smart gm in hockey.
    Posted by woodtick7[/QUOTE]

Wood, i answered all ur ques but u have answered none of mine in fact u have chosen to bring on another question which i will asnwer too.

first off, don't answer for me. i will tell u this in my book the worse gm right now is chiarelli. but enough of that  that;s for another topic

first off nashville, rangers. kings showed interest in kessel, add to the fact that there is an unwritten rule about giving off offers to rfa, good way to make enemies among gm's. Sometghing i already knew and has been well documented by sports writers,
    anyhow the fact is we do not know much details, also there are many teams who were constrained by sal cap, there are also many many tea,s who cannot spend more then they can. they are not in good financial shape it's  a sad truth for the nhl.
    burke wanted him most and got him, any team would take him
    the habs would take him, dallas, many others.
    as far as burke, may not be liked but he's no dummy, and he is a winnerthat's more then any bruin gm or coach could say for the last 37 yrs and 38yrs after this yr, guranteed bruins are not taking the cup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

What questions do you want answered Marco? I never said the Bruins would win the cup this year. I do think they have a way better chance than the Leafs.

Marco you seem to think if resigned Kessel we would win the cup. Well i really don't think we would. As for 1 who keeps ducking questions aren't the Bruins better off with Savard and 2 potential draft picks, yea i know already potential.

You talk like you know the NHL has financial constraints and in fact you even bring it up. Well the Bruins had constraints and they went a different way parting with Kessel with what they deemed what would be more valuable dpicks for the future and spreading the money around players liked by management rather than Kessel. Why can't you just see it was a business decision. Where did you get the info that La Kings were interested i highly doubt they were.

I did here about the Rangers but i guess they spent there money on Gaborik and look at the goals and pts he has produced. I never did here Nashville was interested. You would think for a superstar like Kessel more than 3 teams would have been interested.

I think Kessel is a decent player just not the star you have built him up to be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Last 10 games: Sturm 4 goals, Kessel 3.  If this trend continues Sturm may catch Kessel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players. : Bad habitude, maybe kess was a head case as u say which made his stock drop but in the past drafts we  can see that teams have clearly made mistakes for ex. drafting lawton and turgein b4 yzerman. now u say he cannot be more lazy, fact is he still scored 42 last yr including playoffs, he did very well last yr in playoffs with a cuff injury, Don't u agree that the playoffs is where it counts and where it tightens up and yet he had 6goals in 11 games .this yr lazy or not he has 13 goals in 25 games thats 42 goals in a full season. let's see how he finishes but if he scores 30 or more this yr , it will have been a good yr since he has missed 10 games already. some said that mario lemieux the best forward i ever saw was too lazy. Cut kessel some slack too much has been said on his demeanor, yet this kid does what he is supposed to do and thats score goals.he is also a plus 3 on a team that is in my opinon awful. in boston he would have been a plus 10 and more. about crosby, whatever attrbutes he has , if malkin isn't there no way pens win cup and vice versa. bottom line talent talent wins cups, this has been clearly showed when the bruins lost against the habs, the oilers and the pens. we just never had enough talent. and yes of course u do need goaltending . bruins always got circled around because these teams had too much offense.
    Posted by marco100[/QUOTE]

I would argue there have been several teams that won Cups because they were more disciplined, but had less talent than the other guys did.  I would say that's true about every Cup NJ ever won.

And again, with NJ as an example, you only need to score more goals than the other guys to win games.  If you keep them off the scoreboard completely, you only need 1 goal to win a game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs coach tells tsn his players in ot make mistakes like peewee players. : I would argue there have been several teams that won Cups because they were more disciplined, but had less talent than the other guys did.  I would say that's true about every Cup NJ ever won. And again, with NJ as an example, you only need to score more goals than the other guys to win games.  If you keep them off the scoreboard completely, you only need 1 goal to win a game.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

new jersy had the best goalie of all-time, they also had stud dmen in niedamayer, stevens, daneyko, rafalski,

defense was their strength it;s true but elias, shanahan, mclean ans muller.

u cannot model bruins after jersey , they are the exception ,
    if look at the other teams especially the dynasties thay all had great offences even detoit had strong offence

bruins do not have best goalie of all time and do not have stud d-men comparable to jersey and they certainly do not have a true sniper.

i say it again with this roster bruins will not win a cup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why did I stop ignoring marco?

Watch Bos-Tor games and you can see the Bruins going out of their way to hit Kessel.  Can't remember who it was, but last game he got hip checked and dropped on his back, Savard smacked him around including an extra shot or two, and Sobotka has made it his mission to knock him down every chance he gets.  Oh yeah, they love the guy.

Kessel's playoff record is impressive until you realize he's only played well against the Habs, and then only after being benched.  Against a team with a higher compete level, he was a turnover machine.  Sure he was injured but...so?  Either s-ck it all the way up or shut it down.  No half measures.  Ask The Problem how that works out.

Talent alone does not win cups - if it did, the Sharks would have at least one and Detroit would have twice as many as they do.  Those dynasties you mention, marco?  First off, they happened in a pre-cap world, and they didn't just have talent, they had depth and players who fit well-defined roles.  Plus, their best players had to learn to be accountable.  The Gretzky story about losing to the Islanders in their first finals is the best illustration.  The Oilers packed up after the final game and dreaded walking past the celebration in the Islander dressing room.  When they walked by, they saw a few bottles of champagne, but mostly guys in the trainer's room, guys wearing ice packs, guys getting stitches, etc.  The Isles had paid a price to win that they Oilers hadn't.  The next year, they won.  So yeah, you gotta have talent, but that talent has to sell out every night.

And last, predicting that a team will not win the Cup is like picking a number in roulette and saying this is the number that will NOT come up.  Not a big risk.  Meaningless really.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I just caught this youtube video of the first Bruins game against the Leafs this year.

I didn't recall that things went as bad for the Leafs as in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRKi_ZzQQo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

All I can say Marco is for someone who's supposed to b smart in business. You're not sounding it. So, if you have someone in your company who says I can't work for this boss (Kessel talking about CJ) & they only way I will is if you pay me X amount of $. Now this boss you hired has turned your business around in 2 seasons. Not only turned it around, but help make it one of the best in the business. You also have other people on your staff that may not be as good in certain areas as this other person, but they say how much they love the company & they want to stick around & watch it succeed & they'll even take a little less money to stay because they love this company so much. You're saying you'd keep the person with all the demands & bad attitude?  Interesting that your still in business.

Sections
Shortcuts