Leafs Trade Coming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUSA. Show BruinsUSA's posts

Leafs Trade Coming

TSN is reporting that the Leafs will be making a major trade today, CBC is also reporting that Burke has called a press conference at 11:30 at the ACC. This should be interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Re: Leafs Trade Coming

Hmm!  Kaberle is their only valuable commodity, besides PK, that is.  Wonder if he waived his no-trade clause and the Leafs get a decent pick in return?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmiller3. Show nmiller3's posts

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Dreger says it could be several moves. I hope burke is going young and tanking the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

This is what Eklund is saying at hockeybuzz even gave it a E4,5  Based on his past history I would rather get the info from other reliable sources

"Based on a ton of info, Giguere will be a Leaf today"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

I would like to see Burke make another deal with Boston. Maybe 2012 and 2013 first rounders. I love to be getting a top 5 pick every year that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I think its stajan and pony going. I think the Bs are involved with giving TO a 2nd rd pick for pony and maybe a minor leaguer..If not then its even bigger with  a western team.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUSA. Show BruinsUSA's posts

Dion Phaneuf to the Leafs has been confirmed by TSN. WOW

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 640Toronto. Show 640Toronto's posts

Phaneuf to the Leafs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

Phaneuf to the Laffs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

Other trade is rumored to be Toskala to Anaheim for Gigeure and picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

How does Burke make this move? It's phenomenal if he doesn't give up Schenn, Kadri or any future picks but I don't see how this deal gets done without picks or those players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

It's because Phaneuf isn't nearly as good as the hype he's been given. And Calgary has found that out the hard way.

However, this could open things up for a Kaberle trade to Boston, although that's by no means assured. Kaberle would be a good fit for the Bruins, but he'd also spell the end of any Kovy speculation, I'd think.

Personally, I think it'd be a mistake for the Bruins to make any additions this year, unless they can get an absolute steal of a trade. While Kaberle would certainly help offensively (I know he's a defenceman, but he's a guy who can QB the powerplay and also run the game from the blueline), he wouldn't help enough to make the Bruins any kind of serious contenders. Again, unless they can get him for below value, I'd not bother--this season is a write-off. Keep the picks and assets and look to become a great team (not just a better shade of mediocre) in the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Auley to Toronto for Hagman, Stajan, Mayers and White.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

very well said Kennedy97.
    joeschmo25  Ian WHite is a very good D.  He only has one goal less than Phaneuf on a bad Leafs team.   But they gave up a Stajan that has 16 goals also.
    I used to like Dion but has dropped like a fly although a change of scenery and we might see what all the hype for this guy is.
    It will not help the Leafs this season.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

This is so funny!!!!!!!
    Burke gave up most if not all of his offense for
    an overpaid d-man. This almost guarantees Laffs will be
    dead last this year and next.

Thank you BB..you dumbazz!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!Tongue out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Now that I know the trade details I know how they got it done, though I still think Toronto got the better end of the deal. Stajan is an unrestricted at the end of the season, Mayers wanted to leave, Hagman is playing decent but also has a decent sized cap hit, and White is a good young defenseman but is around the same age as Phaneuf. For everybody who's trashing Phaneuf you all seem to overlook that he's still putting up half decent numbers (including 10 goals) for somebody who's supposedly overrated. I think he'll thrive in Toronto's system, he's Burke's prototypical player, a better version of Beauchemin. He'll be the booming shot on the powerplay that Kaberle sets up for a one-timer. He can eat up big minutes and has a game changing ability with his hits. I don't understand why people thinks his best days are behind him, for f*cks sake he's 24, White is already 25. The biggest knock people can have against him is his cap hit, which aside from cap purposes doesn't bother Toronto too much, as far as finances go they're the Yankees of the NHL. As it is they save over $1 mil in cap room this year with the Phaneuf and Giguere trades while getting rid of longer term contracts than Gigueres. Toronto will be good once Giguere's cap hit comes off the books. As it is they'll have a lot of money coming off of the books after this season with Stempniak, Poni, Van Ryn and Exelby's contracts off the books, with the possibility of all 4 being traded by the deadline. If Burke trades them and takes on bigger salaries he'll come out with good picks.

Toronto is rebuilding yes, but Burke isn't destroying the franchise, at least not today. Say what you want about Kessel's deal but the more moves Burke makes the better it looks that Kessel will get a good playmaker along side him at some point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

This looks good for the Leafs and even better for us. Unless Toronto comes out and makes a move for a really good playmaker they'll be at the bottom of the league till after the 2011 draft. Oddly enough the Kessel deal may end up benefitting both sides, though those results won't be known for a few years. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Thank you Mr. Burke, for being the worst GM in the NHL!  You are the MVP of the Bruins this season-and next!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssags111. Show ssags111's posts

Great news for Boston this year but anyone who thinks this is a bad move needs their heads check.  This is the beginning of what will eventually be a good Leafs team down the road.  Phanuf is one of the top d-man in the league and can do it all.  The Laffs did give up almost all of it's offense but they are rebuilding and this the kind of move you make.

Do you people forget what Burke has done with bad teams?  I think some of you don't watch hockey or are brand new to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

good deal for the Leafs - when? 

Get it straight, long term or short term?  I've been thinking short term, this year.

Long term, yes, I could agree it *might*be better for the Leafs, but it means blowing up this year.  And I say *might* because Phaneuf is a bit of a wildcard here, we are not talking about the Phaneuf of 2 years ago.  If Phaneuf gets better, great deal, but what is Phaneuf's downward spiral continues?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

hmmm me thinks Burke and Chiarelli are cooking a deal... ha.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssags111. Show ssags111's posts

BadAttitude- short term?  What are you talking about, short term, the Laffs were going no where this year, there is no short term up there, only long term moves.  The Laffs stink, what else can they do but start making major roster changes.  This is a signature Burke move, he did it to the Ducks and the Canucks.  And he was very successful doing what he did there.  One Cup in Anaheim and the Nucks are a Western power house after being a door mat for decades.

What are you talking about "if" or "might"  Do you know Phaneuf is 24 years old and you are talking like he is in the twilight of his career. And what downward spiral are you talking about??? He should finish with more points than last year and needs one more to tie last years goal output.  He is a complete player and he is only 24....there is no might or if there is ONLY upside with Phanuef.