Let Kessel go and let's move on.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

Let Kessel go and let's move on.

I think alot of people are underestimating what a big year Wheeler is going to have. He's just as good of a prospect, if not a better one (another guy slated to be a #1 overall), and is already multi-dimensional. He just has to learn to use his size better, which has already mostly been dealt with by his weight (actually muscle) gain over the offseason. That was his only weakness last year, and he was just a freshman to boot. In a couple years, when Kessel is choking to death playing on a line with Jason Blake, he'll be an afterthought.

I know alot of us feel this is an abusive relationship we're in with the Bruins, losing so many of our top young talent whenever their first contract comes up, but I think we're in the right on this one to let this kid go. Yes, he's the best natural scoring talent we've had come up in the pipeline for some time, but the way the team is set up I think we can let him walk to keep the pipeline full for the foreseeable future.

Kessel has had a chance to lower his demands and fit in with a winner here, be he/his agent is looking for the big payday. Let him melt under expectations in New York or Toronto. He will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Let Kessel go and let's move on.

Considering some people dredge up posts from years ago (usually about Thornton or Jacobs) you might be asking too much. 
    A winning season (and successful post-season) would go a long way to help bury the past, but that might not be soon enough for my brain.
    Maybe I should don that Vader costume afterall.  Or build a birdhouse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Kessel is a rising star who in my opinion doesnt wanna share the stardom of other Bs and if so,,let him go as he will fail elsewhere because of his attitude. I truly dont beleive all I read from sources saying he is thru negotiating with the Bs, Like PC , its a tactic if anything. Anyhow training camp is here so lets keep close eyes on that. The rookie tourney went well except the D wasnt strong..Goalies performed well so hopefully that depth gives the Bs options..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Let Kessel go and let's move on.:
    [QUOTE]Kessel is a rising star who in my opinion doesnt wanna share the stardom of other Bs and if so,,let him go as he will fail elsewhere because of his attitude. I truly dont beleive all I read from sources saying he is thru negotiating with the Bs, Like PC , its a tactic if anything. Anyhow training camp is here so lets keep close eyes on that. The rookie tourney went well except the D wasnt strong..Goalies performed well so hopefully that depth gives the Bs options..
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a new one. Points for orginality, I suppose. ;-)

Reportedly Hamill, Button, Arneil and LoVecchio were the standouts in the rookie tourney. I'm guessing (hoping) that Hamill's going to have a strong year at Providence, though he really needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger. I'd really like to see LoVecchio have a good year, poor kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Skaswatch is offering us Grief Therapy.  Like many fans, I have begun accepting that he will likely be gone.  But hate that it has to happen.  We won't get to see the Kessel-Savard magic this year.  Those amazing passes to a place he knows only Kes can get to. 

But, that's NHL business and the World of Cap.  We have to accept that teams just don't endure.  The whole thing is on spin cycle.  So, we try to console with visions of other positives like the rest of the Bruins team.

Anger is a part of grief and it's natural that some should turn against Kessel and wish him woe on some other team.  But many others will say "thanks for the memories" and wish him the best.  It will be interesting to see the actual $$$ numbers and learn what salary he was holding out for, and what was offered but rejected weeks or months ago.

Meanwhile, his departure is not official yet, and there is hope, however dimming, that he will yet be signed.   So, it's better not to grieve too much until he's actually packing his gear.

Good post Skaswatch.  Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

In the words of Bill Parcells, I wouldn't be putting Wheeler in the hall of fame just yet.  Don't get me wrong, I like Wheeler, he has the potential to be a Kessel-Lucic hybrid...big and strong (though not quite like Looch) with speed and hands (though not as quick and slick as Kessel), he could definitely be the complete package.

But at this point, if I had to choose one over the other, I would take Kessel over Wheeler.  I just can't get over how Wheeler, after a great 1st half, faded in the 2nd half and completely disappeared in the playoffs.  He was 0-0-0 in 8 games before mercifully being scratched.

In an ideal world, the B's would keep both Kessel and Wheeler, and those 2, along with Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, and (to a lesser extent) Bitz would make up a heck of a group of under-25 forwards.  That group could be the core of a very competitive team for a long time.

Alas, the world is not ideal, and it's sure looking like Kessel will be gone.  Maybe the B's can absorb the loss as other players step up.  Then again, maybe Wheeler will be the 2nd half player from last year, Sturm will be hobbled and gimpy, Bergeron will plateau in his return to form, Ryder will return to his Carbonneau doghouse days, Recchi will show his age...and suddenly the B's potent offense will look not-so-potent after all.

Call it pre-season anxiety.  The season can't start soon enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

New Kessel rumours on TSN:  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290712
    Dreger has it that the trades on offer for PK are much better than the statutory compensation package.  Whatever that means, and it's Dreger so....

re: rookie camp - I'm wondering about the potential of a line with Arniel and Marchand at some point down the line.  Lots of yap and scrap, and Arniel showed some touch this week.  And yeah, every bit of good news about Hammil makes me breathe a little easier - mostly because he really does have crazy spacial awareness on the ice.  Could develop into another Savard.  Emphasis on could...and develop.

Jem, saying you'd take Kessel over Wheeler is truly outrageous!  Before you punish him for his fadarama, take into account that he was a rook.  Granted he started later than PK, so he's more physically mature, but PK didn't score 20 goals until this year, his third kick at it.  I'm curious to see how Wheeler progresses.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

until Kessel signs an offer sheet with another team, he is worth exactly what the Bruins are offering.  Such is the life of an RFA.

He has absolutely ZERO leverage.  Kessel's agent is negotiating through the press, don't listen to all of the blather in the media lately.  It really doesnt mean anything.  Chiarelli is holding all the cards in this poker game, and is doing exactly what he has to do, which is sit tight and wait until the deadline.  

IF Kessel receives that offer sheet he is seeking, God bless him.  I could understand why he would want to leave (being in yearly trade rumors and the current impasse) but leaving really isnt up to him, its up to the Bruins. We'll see what happens in November when Kessel is healthy and ready to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In the words of Bill Parcells, I wouldn't be putting Wheeler in the hall of fame just yet.  Don't get me wrong, I like Wheeler, he has the potential to be a Kessel-Lucic hybrid...big and strong (though not quite like Looch) with speed and hands (though not as quick and slick as Kessel), he could definitely be the complete package. But at this point, if I had to choose one over the other, I would take Kessel over Wheeler.  I just can't get over how Wheeler, after a great 1st half, faded in the 2nd half and completely disappeared in the playoffs.  He was 0-0-0 in 8 games before mercifully being scratched. In an ideal world, the B's would keep both Kessel and Wheeler, and those 2, along with Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, and (to a lesser extent) Bitz would make up a heck of a group of under-25 forwards.  That group could be the core of a very competitive team for a long time. Alas, the world is not ideal, and it's sure looking like Kessel will be gone.  Maybe the B's can absorb the loss as other players step up.  Then again, maybe Wheeler will be the 2nd half player from last year, Sturm will be hobbled and gimpy, Bergeron will plateau in his return to form, Ryder will return to his Carbonneau doghouse days, Recchi will show his age...and suddenly the B's potent offense will look not-so-potent after all. Call it pre-season anxiety.  The season can't start soon enough.
    Posted by jem61[/QUOTE]

you can't believe that Wheeler broke down in the 2nd half? Really?
    he played an NCAA season the year before, 44 games I believe, and that is including playoffs, tournaments, and the NCAA tournament. It almost always happens with players that go from college to pro, after about 44 games, they start to break down, its to be expected. That is why so many players opt for the longer seasons in junior rather than going to college. I really think he will put up 30 goals. Wheeler might not be as quick as Kessel, but he might be slicker, he was the bruins best shoot out guy and has the hands, and understand of how defensemen read plays to burn almost anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

[QUOTE] Jem, saying you'd take Kessel over Wheeler is truly outrageous!  Before you punish him for his fadarama, take into account that he was a rook.  Granted he started later than PK, so he's more physically mature, but PK didn't score 20 goals until this year, his third kick at it.  I'm curious to see how Wheeler progresses.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...outrageous?  I could understand debatable, but I don't think outrageous.  Anyway, I'm curious also.  Was the 1st half the real deal, and the 2nd half was just a rookie (from college at that, not from juniors or minors) fade?  Or was the 1st half a fluke, a flash in the pan?  As you note, Wheeler is a year older than Kessel... more physically mature, and maybe more importantly, more mature, period.

Kessel was a prima donna on ice from the time he was 7 years old.  Never had to work very hard, never had to hit, never had to grind, was always his team's leading scorer.  Then he got a rude awakening when he was benched in the '08 playoffs -- deservedly so (though I doubt he would admit it)  Benched!  Phil the Thrill, benched?!  This was a guy who was on the ice for the last 5 minutes of every close game he ever played in.  Now, during the most important games of his life, he was benched?

But hey, give him credit, it looks like he got the message (mostly).  He has a long way to go, but he made big strides last year.  If he continues that progression, he will be a bona fide star.  If not...well, we'll see what happens with him too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let Kessel go and let's move on. : Hmmm...outrageous?  I could understand debatable, but I don't think outrageous.  Anyway, I'm curious also.  Was the 1st half the real deal, and the 2nd half was just a rookie (from college at that, not from juniors or minors) fade?  Or was the 1st half a fluke, a flash in the pan? by jem61[/QUOTE]

The majority of hockey players coming from college go into the AHL (or ECHL); that's where they learn not just the ins and outs of hockey itself but how to deal with long road trips, constant practices and workouts, how to take proper care of themselves, live on their own, etc. etc. When those guys start fading and breaking down at the end of the season, few notice.

Wheeler wasn't a big guy to begin with (he's tall, but wasn't heavy at 205 - he's a couple of inches taller but was 20 pounds lighter than Lucic), and the grind of the season was bound to wear him down. He was looking like a shell of himself by the playoffs; I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped below 200 pounds.

The good news is that he worked hard and ate like a horse over the summer and has packed on some much-needed weight. Check out the pics of him from the Bruins golf tourney on bostonbruins.com; he looks terrific. I think he'll have a solid year, now that he knows what's expected of him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

Yes, agreed, no argument on those points.  As I said, I'm pretty high on Wheeler, and I think Chiarelli deserves big credit for landing him over a bunch of other teams that were trying.

The only thing that concerns me is that he didn't just fade, he disintegrated.  He went from being the star of the rookie all-star game to a complete no-show in the playoffs.  Harry Houdini would be proud of that disappearing act.

But this is a new year.  More weight, more experience, hopefully a recognition of what happened last year -- and why, but with all the same skill, speed, hockey sense.  He'll certainly have more expectations/pressure this year, especially if he's plugged into the 1st line to replace Kessel.  36 goals?  Probably not.  But 30 would do quite nicely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Oo la la la la.. the bashing has begun.  We're a better team with him rather than without.
    What he brings to the team is unique and part of the ingredient to fulfill a team.
    The same way a Chara, a Savard and a Krejci have a part in the puzzle to make us successful. 
    It's not like we can replace Kessel with just anyone without paying or signing another player. Then we're back to the same problem.
    Replace Kessel's goals with what we have ? Well,  it's not that easy . What if one gets hurt or chemistry with one of our depth player not the same .
    Point is we have him now and fits well in our team. There are other pieces in the puzzle that can get sacrificed.
    I feel the Bruins should match any offer reasonably but not to the point to mortgage next years RFA/UFA's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

I'm just sayin' it's looking more & more like Kess wants his amount or the highway, so we'd all better get used to the idea of him parting. But unlike years past, I'd say we have decent enough depth to deal with it.

Ryder, Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Sturm, Wheeler, Kobasew, Recchi....

That's 3 lines right there that can get the puck to the back of the net.

Considering most of the league relies on half as much firepower per team to get the job done, I don't think the alarm bells or white flag should be raised quite yet.

And please please please don't forget he's going to spend almost half the year in the infirmary anyhow, plus the 15-20 games to get his game back to midseason form, and then sit for 2 weeks of Olympic break that would probably disrupt his rhythm even more. How much impact do you think he's going to have this year? Guys who are going to be top 2 lines from game 1 are dropping to the 3rd line the second he comes back? Ha. He'll be lucky if he gets close to 20 goals, and we all know he's not an assist machine. Big whup.

Oh, and while we're at it, let's disrupt the team chemistry by shipping off a couple guys off who have blood & sweated it the past few of years so primadonna moneypockets can rejoin the team. Yeah right.

For a team that can certainly go for a 'win now' approach, this guy is looking more expendable all the time. I'm a huge fan of Kessel's talent, and I wish that  somehow we can keep him, but I'm also a realist, and I think common sense is starting to dictate what should be done with this guy.

It's not the end of the earth if this guy leaves.

Sections
Shortcuts