Lucic Fight and What It Means

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Lucic Fight and What It Means

I think Cherry was spot on last night in calling Lucic's fight a "disgrace."  The progression of that fight pretty much sums up the Bruins efforts as a team this season.  For those who didn't watch, Lucic fights with Orr, then inexplicably stops because he feels like the fight is done.  Then, he kinda stands there stupidly while the confused linesmen slowly step in just before Orr took a run at him.  I don't care what miscommunication happened, you don't just GIVE UP!  I know he's been battling some injuries this year, but as a player who SHOULD be the emotional leader of the Bruins, it was disappointing to see him stop the fight himself.  If you agree to fight, you fight from start to finish, no excuses.

It sums up the Bruins' attitude on the ice this season.  The players want to do just enough to get the job done, but god forbid anyone put in the extra effort!  The Bruins wonder why they have such a tough time breaking out of their own end -- it's too run of the mill.  The Bruins wonder why they have such a tough time moving the puck into the offensive zone -- I don't see the Bruins really attacking the offensive blue line with speed.  Too much prescription and not enough trying to win the game.

I'm not saying that the game plan is a poor one.  Instead, I'm saying that the Bruins feel wayyyy to comfortable with their game plan right now, and it definitely shows.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Lucic Fight and What It Means

I don't like any of the poll options.  Guys stop fights when they know they're done all the time - they bear hug or they tackle the other guy. And you see a lot of fights end the way Lucic thought this one was about to - both guys starting to sag a bit - the tension drops out of the grips - the linesemen get in and the guys skate away. I'm not sure I see any disgrace here, but this definitely wasn't Lucic's best pugilistic effort for whatever reason.  But...so?  And given Cherry is such a big backer of the code, why isn't he laying into Orr for trying to restart a fight with a guy who had engaged fully, taken his lumps, but was clearly done?  Especially given that that guy had respected the code and not hammered Orr into paste when he was vulnerable?

I'm also not sure about "comfortable". Complacent worked at the beginning of the year, but tentative is a better fit now.  They look like a team that's playing under a cloud, knowing that they have little margin of error for mistakes.  They don't shoot because they don't expect to score.  They go back to the point constantly because that's the default in their offensive cycle - and teams are just jumping those passes now, especially just inside the offensive blueline.  They miss open nets and glorious chances because they're too afraid of missing to move the puck with purpose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigblue72. Show bigblue72's posts

I watched the fight on YouTube and Orr clearly won by landing more punches, even with Luc keeping his helmet on. And it was clear that Orr wasn't done by the way he was still "chasing" Luc when the linesmen jumped in. This doesn't surprise me because when Orr was in Providence I never saw him lose a fight.....not one. I'm going to speculate Luc gave up because he knew he was beat. It happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

It looks to me that Lucic was the only person in the stadium that thought the fight was over.

From the linesmen's hesitation they thought Lucic was just regrouping to attack again from another angle or just swithing strategies, not quiting.

That's the most disgraceful way to loss a fight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

I know I'm being really critical of Lucic's fight.  I realize that people get beat sometimes, and I don't think Lucic is immortal or anything.  But, I was pointing out how the attitude of that fight is a great metaphor for the attitude of the Bruins -- they are doing the bare minimum.  No one is taking their game to the next level.  They just look slow and methodical rather than crisp and urgent, both of which they should be at this point in the season.  That leads me to believe that team is falling back on their bare-bone structure (their comfort zone), rather than imposing the creativity needed to keep opposing teams off guard.  There are far to many players wandering around the ice, waiting for a teammate to get the job done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

'BruinsGM24   "......If you agree to fight, you fight from start to finish, no excuses." Easy there, Michael Vick....Isn't that the sorta talk that got us in all that trouble over there in Viet Nam? 'Finish'?
    Lucic DID fight to the finish, he fought until he said he was done. That was the finish. Should he have been knocked out cold? Killed? Is that the finish? This wasn't one of those staged fights that Thornton fights. This was the real deal. Orr wanted to hurt Lucic in a way that shouldn't be tolerated. I don't think that's right. He broke his nose and had him on the run and wanted to hit him some more while he was 'down' I don't think that fits anyone's idea of 'the code'
       Lucic 'lost' the fight. So what. If he 'wins' the fight does that typify the Bruins 'attitude' this season? Fighting has no bearing on the Bruins season, on hockey or anything. The clock isn't even running when it's happening. it is not a part of the game. It is a gimmick. And i would say, it's fierce-defended 'place in the game' as a policing 'weapon' or as 'tool' used to keep players 'honest' is becoming less fierce and less defensible, moreso, when coupled with the hypocrisy that is the Instigator Rule.
       A fight to the 'Finish' is death. Dog-fighting may be ok with that, but Hockey's not quite ready - or desperate enough - for that yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic Fight and What It Means:
    I don't like any of the poll options.  Guys stop fights when they know they're done all the time - they bear hug or they tackle the other guy. And you see a lot of fights end the way Lucic thought this one was about to - both guys starting to sag a bit - the tension drops out of the grips - the linesemen get in and the guys skate away. I'm not sure I see any disgrace here, but this definitely wasn't Lucic's best pugilistic effort for whatever reason.  But...so?  And given Cherry is such a big backer of the code, why isn't he laying into Orr for trying to restart a fight with a guy who had engaged fully, taken his lumps, but was clearly done?  Especially given that that guy had respected the code and not hammered Orr into paste when he was vulnerable? I'm also not sure about "comfortable". Complacent worked at the beginning of the year, but tentative is a better fit now.  They look like a team that's playing under a cloud, knowing that they have little margin of error for mistakes.  They don't shoot because they don't expect to score.  They go back to the point constantly because that's the default in their offensive cycle - and teams are just jumping those passes now, especially just inside the offensive blueline.  They miss open nets and glorious chances because they're too afraid of missing to move the puck with purpose.
    Posted by Bookboy007

it seems you and I were the only ones who noticed Lucic hold up when Orr had his sweater pulled over his head.In return,Orr decided to amp it up after Lucic let up on him.We will see Lucic fight him again(and the "code" will be out the window).I think we will see a different outcome.We saw orr's true colours when he jumped a much smaller Begin.He will get his.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

@Awry, I'll address all of your points.  First, I have to ask - what in the world you are talking about?  Are you trying to connect hockey and politically-driven warfare?  At no point did I ever allude to Lucic having to fight to the death.  It's something called "pride."  And, whether you realize it or not, fighting plays a significant role in the game - ANYTHING emotionally driven influences the game.  I do not think that fighting will win or lose a game, not even close.  But, fighting in the NHL has become a momentum swinger. Are you going to argue with me about that, too?  "Win" and "lose" are not what is important in a fight.  I don't care one bit that Lucic lost the fight - as I said, it happens.  What I do care about is his lack of pride (uh oh, there's that word again).  Fight to the death?  Uh, no.  But if you decide to fight, you'd better be willing to go with the other combatant until the fight is done (notice, nothing about death here).  And, um, the linesmen, who all have seen many a fight, are standing RIGHT THERE monitoring the situation.  Obviously, nothing about that situation said "the fight is over", because they would have been in there already.

And to address your whole "The clock isn't even running when it's happening. it is not a part of the game" statement.  That's just pure ignorance.  By the same logic, any adjustments made by teams in between periods isn't part of the game.  Timeouts occur when the clock is stopped, so that obviously isn't part of the game.  On a more minor level, TV timeouts occur throughout the game, and since the clock is stopped, the prolonged break in action has no effect on momentum or the players a coach puts on the ice after the break.  Also, home arenas usually try to pump up their crowds while the clock is stopped, because everyone knows that a crowd screaming at the top of their lungs trying to reach the "Garden Level" has no impact on the game whatsoever, obviously because they start yelling while the clock is stopped, which is when nothing can influence the game.

This isn't about death, you fool.  I was commenting on Lucic's choice to fight and then backing down before the linesmen were even ready to get involved.  Go look up NHL fights on youtube - the linesmen are NOT shy about jumping in once one of the players looks spent.  And, overarching this ridiculous criticism is the fact that I was just making a metaphor to the Bruins inability to take their game to the next level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I would rather Lucic had to be helped off the ice than QUIT.
    Posted by degolds

That's because you don't care about the team. I'd rather he quit the fight before he gets hurt (again) than keep going and be knocked out of the next 8 games for one reason or another.

Fighting is important, but if you'd rather see a player miss games then preserve his health, then you are taking the fighting aspect far too seriously, and should probably just watch MMA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

i dunno guys. I didn't think the fight was that bad.  Did Lucic get beat? Yah he did.  But they traded a ton of blows.  Anybody who has ever been in a hockey fight like that knows how exhausting it is.  I thought he stood tall and continued to battle even after he took a shot on the beak.  How often do you see someone take a shot and then crumble or completely turtle up.  That was quite a long tilt that lucic obviously lost but not by the margin that people are making it seem.  I think he thought the fight was done when they separated and then refs seemed like they were stepping in.  I have to hand it to orr for still wanting more after all of that. I don't think that it was a disgrace at all.  I think it just looked bad when he and the refs (for a second) thought it was over.  I would bet that the only punching most people on this board have ever done is on the keys of their keyboard.
    Posted by LawLaw

I don't think most people think he got beat that bad, its those who are siding with Cherry that it was a disgrace and those thinking, the fight was over.. I thought he fought till the fight was over, its pretty clear Orr got the better of Lucic, but do do people feel like he quit is the question, and I think alot agree with what Brick had said, which was the fight was over Lucic went to seperate, which is his right, and Orr went to keep going, also with in his rights.. I think when the ref's didn't immediately step in again Lucic was sliding his pad up in order to keep going, but really wasn't expecting the fight to continue...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

For all I know, Lucic asked Orr if they were done, assumed so since they were both clearly spent, and was stopping as Orr grunted "No we're not" and tried to continue the fight.

The linesmen obviously wouldn't have let anything brutal happen (right Awry?), but I'm confused by their hesitation.  I wonder what exactly transpired towards the end of that fight.

I wanted to clarify 2 things:
    1) I think Looch lost the fight, but not that badly.  They were trading some pretty good blows
    2) I am not saying Lucic not finishing the fight caused the Bruins to play poorly or anything.  My point is that Lucic not finishing the fight serves as a good metaphor for the Bruins not finishing games this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

@Awry, I'll address all of your points.  First, I have to ask - what in the world you are talking about?  Are you trying to connect hockey and politically-driven warfare?  At no point did I ever allude to Lucic having to fight to the death.  It's something called "pride."  And, whether you realize it or not, fighting plays a significant role in the game - ANYTHING emotionally driven influences the game.  I do not think that fighting will win or lose a game, not even close.  But, fighting in the NHL has become a momentum swinger. Are you going to argue with me about that, too?  "Win" and "lose" are not what is important in a fight.  I don't care one bit that Lucic lost the fight - as I said, it happens.  What I do care about is his lack of pride (uh oh, there's that word again).  Fight to the death?  Uh, no.  But if you decide to fight, you'd better be willing to go with the other combatant until the fight is done (notice, nothing about death here).  And, um, the linesmen, who all have seen many a fight, are standing RIGHT THERE monitoring the situation.  Obviously, nothing about that situation said "the fight is over", because they would have been in there already. And to address your whole " The clock isn't even running when it's happening. it is not a part of the game"  statement.  That's just pure ignorance.  By the same logic, any adjustments made by teams in between periods isn't part of the game.  Timeouts occur when the clock is stopped, so that obviously isn't part of the game.  On a more minor level, TV timeouts occur throughout the game, and since the clock is stopped, the prolonged break in action has no effect on momentum or the players a coach puts on the ice after the break.  Also, home arenas usually try to pump up their crowds while the clock is stopped, because everyone knows that a crowd screaming at the top of their lungs trying to reach the "Garden Level" has no impact on the game whatsoever, obviously because they start yelling while the clock is stopped, which is when nothing can influence the game. This isn't about death, you fool.  I was commenting on Lucic's choice to fight and then backing down before the linesmen were even ready to get involved.  Go look up NHL fights on youtube - the linesmen are NOT shy about jumping in once one of the players looks spent.  And, overarching this ridiculous criticism is the fact that I was just making a metaphor to the Bruins inability to take their game to the next level.
    Posted by BruinsGM24

Go watch this fight again on hockeyfights.com.You will see that everyone involved(linesman included)made a move forward.Both Lucic and Orr were about to re-engage when the linesman looked as if they were moving in.For a split second they both stopped.The linesmen then just looked confused.I think it would have looked cheap had Lucic started going after him with the linesmen there as there is not much worse than people still throwing with the refs between them.The view on hockeyfights.com was a different angle from the game I saw last night.watching it again,it didn't look as bad to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I don't like any of the poll options.  Guys stop fights when they know they're done all the time - they bear hug or they tackle the other guy. And you see a lot of fights end the way Lucic thought this one was about to - both guys starting to sag a bit - the tension drops out of the grips - the linesemen get in and the guys skate away. I'm not sure I see any disgrace here, but this definitely wasn't Lucic's best pugilistic effort for whatever reason.  But...so?  And given Cherry is such a big backer of the code, why isn't he laying into Orr for trying to restart a fight with a guy who had engaged fully, taken his lumps, but was clearly done?  Especially given that that guy had respected the code and not hammered Orr into paste when he was vulnerable? I'm also not sure about "comfortable". Complacent worked at the beginning of the year, but tentative is a better fit now.  They look like a team that's playing under a cloud, knowing that they have little margin of error for mistakes.  They don't shoot because they don't expect to score.  They go back to the point constantly because that's the default in their offensive cycle - and teams are just jumping those passes now, especially just inside the offensive blueline.  They miss open nets and glorious chances because they're too afraid of missing to move the puck with purpose.
    Posted by Bookboy007

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Decided Bookboy summed it up best.  Nuff said!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

wow would be cool to still have orr, huh?
    he has a great fight in prov. vs. josh gratton:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mx6IFsWwsA

while im at it, one of the best fights ever-these two guys are related:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toTIz7COrRs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

what it means is what we see on the ice. Too many on this team, including Lucic are not playing hard or well. This is the missing passion we have heard from Julien for 3 months. Look at Ryder, Wideman, Wheeler, and lucic. look at how Recchi gets knocked around and noone takes his part; look how placid chara plays; look how Savvy just gave up last night because he has noone to play with. i've always liked julien, BUT he needs to become harsh and sit the non-performers. He needs to drive them to passion. Seidenberg looked great because he played hard, but, there were a few times when the non-support left him hanging. This team needs a size twelve planted in their collective rumps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic Fight and What It Means : Go watch this fight again on hockeyfights.com.You will see that everyone involved(linesman included)made a move forward.Both Lucic and Orr were about to re-engage when the linesman looked as if they were moving in.For a split second they both stopped.The linesmen then just looked confused.I think it would have looked cheap had Lucic started going after him with the linesmen there as there is not much worse than people still throwing with the refs between them.The view on hockeyfights.com was a different angle from the game I saw last night.watching it again,it didn't look as bad to me.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I watched the video a few more times and I agree with you dezaruchi. With the linesmen jumping in prematurely it caused confusion among the two willing combatants. I can still see some fight in Lucic's eyes.

My apologies to Lucic, I shouldn't have ben so quick to judge. I agree if Lucic had tried going through the linesman to get to Orr, we would be discussing how dirty Lucic is and how he doesn't follow the code.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Means nothing to me....even the greatest fighters in history have lost battles.. The Great Neely took some poundings as well come to think of it.. it happens.. I saw the fight over a few times and to say Lucic quit is absurd, and not accurate.... Clearly you see the refs moving in and putting an end to it as well, as they sensed Lucic nose was bleeding and probably broken....I don't see how that relates to giving up.... plus I have to give Lucic credit for easying up on Orr when he had his sweater over his head and could have kept pounding him and then would have been criticized for not following " the code " .. Orr is a tough dude, no question and would say that Lucic is not in the same heavyweight class, but since  Thornton can't do his job I guess a good hockey player has to pick up the slack for the team.... Good for him for showing up and asking for the fight... many of you on here that are basing your opinions on some clown in a suit who is a senile old man, obviously never dropped your gloves in your life and probably had your lunch money taken from you when you were a kid...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

Obviously most of these posters have never broken a nose, let alone lace the skates...try getting smashed again after getting your nose broken. Yeah Lucic lost but when your hurt and you call parlee the fight is over...thats the code...Orr is a thug and he will get his from another tough guy...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

lucic ended up with a broken nose perhaps that is why the fight ended the way it did?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view.bg?&articleid=1237421&format=&page=1&listingType=bru#articleFull

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

After watching the fight again, I take back that I thought it was a "disgrace". I agree that there was a bunch of confusion when the linesmen started coming in.  But, then they back out and the fights looks like it will start up again.  Why did the linesmen back out?  I don't know.  All I know is that there was a clear opportunity to re-engage, and only Orr was ready to re-up.  Looch had taken a good hit to his nose and that's obviously the reason he wanted the fight to end, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a good metaphor for the Bruins play - hesitation and tentativeness getting in the way of completely finishing the job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BRUINSGM24 I totally agree with you Looch was still willing to go even with probably a broken nose

Not his best fight but he will get his revenge dont worry

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

HE BROKE MY NOSE MOMMY, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Posted by degolds

Easy degolds, that's 2 post in a row. You maybe pounding your keyboard into submission!  lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

'BruinsGM24' I remember when i first learned what a metaphor was. It's thrilling isn't it. I saw metaphors in everything. Let me see if I have this straight; The Bruins are hesitant and tentative because they have a broken nose and don't want to get punched anymore?
    Yours is a crappy metaphor. A hockey fight is as base and stupid as it gets. The roar of approval is queasy-making, unsettling, embarrassing. 
    How about this; Hockey fight as metaphor for a dummed-down society drunk on the bloodlust long past the ability to feel anything cheering for a 'fight to the finish' and calling anything less a metaphor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

HE BROKE MY NOSE MOMMY, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Posted by degolds

Are you serious?

Have you ever had your nose smashed by a man weighing 220 pounds? Do you have any idea at all how that feels? Most human beings would have keeled over and started screaming. Lucic deserves major credit for not only keeping his feet but attempting to re-engage, and for playing a regular shift the rest of the game.

And most hockey fighters, when they see that they've injured their opponent, will stop the fight. If anyone should get blasted here, it's Orr.

Andy Brickley had it right. Lucic lost the fight, but there's no disgrace in that. Don Cherry is a loud-mouthed tool who loves nothing more than to draw attention to himself.

Sections
Shortcuts