LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan1985. Show chrisbruinsfan1985's posts

LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?

Wow I cannot believe we are paying this loser over 12 million for the next 3 years and we wouldn't pay Phil Kessel.

What a disgrace.

12 million dollars should be what he gets for the rest of his career.....then again the way he is playing he might have seen his last pay day!

I am fine with everything though...I just don't understand how no one is being held accountable?

Put Lucic in the promenade for a few games. Let him watch.

Put Ryder up there for a game or too.

Make them hungry when they come back....it boggles my mind that none of these guys have been scratched at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwineFluBruin. Show SwineFluBruin's posts

Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?

Lucic sells JJ alot of jerseys and tickets. Keep comparing Lucic to Neely and show him checking that Maple Leaf through the glass and the gullible lemmings start to drool.

Lucic wasnt signed for his play on the ice thats for sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

only an idiot would give 4 million a year to a player like lucic with little to no offensive creativity, who also doesnt like to fight or hit anyone anymore

only and idiot would sign a 35 year old goalie with ONE good season and ONE playoff series win to a 4 year contract with a no trade clause

only an idiot would give a player(ryder) coming of 14-17-31 totals in 07-08 a 3 year 12 million contract

only an idiot who mismanages the cap has to trade nhl talent to bring up ahl callups(kobasew trade when savard and lucic got hurt in the 6th game of the season, had to trade kobasew to bring up sobotka,marchand,whitfield etc.)

only an idiot signs a defenseman(morris) coming off an average 08-09 season to 3.3 million like 3 weeks after july 1st when no one was bidding for him(ever heard of supply and demand chiarelli?)

only an idiot has 3 buyouts on the books (murray, schaffer, eaves)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Peter Chiarelli!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan1985. Show chrisbruinsfan1985's posts

Thank you thank you!!!

It boggles my mind these guys! they dont want to spend the big bucks on the real talant but they will dish out 4-5 million per to year to mediocre (at best) players.

Its very disturbing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

If you guys are so smart why aren't you GMs for an NHL team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?:
    Lucic sells JJ alot of jerseys and tickets. Keep comparing Lucic to Neely and show him checking that Maple Leaf through the glass and the gullible lemmings start to drool. Lucic wasnt signed for his play on the ice thats for sure.
    Posted by SwineFluBruin

This is right on. I remember seeing Lucic in his first training camp up at ristuccia and wondering what the buzz was all about. His skating skills were subpar at best. Can't hit something you can't catch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I am pleasantly surprised.

I expected the original poster to post as he did, but I expected a bunch of guys to jump to Lucic's defense because he is a fan favorite.

I'm glad to see two posters agree because this is so true its inarguable.

Swineflu, i told my buddy that EXACT same thing the day Lucic got extended.  I told him "they had profitability (and not winning) in mind when they signed Looch".

The fact of the matter is that the supply of bangers/enforcers outweighs the demand, and as such not all of these types of players can find jobs. This is why you can get a QUALTIY banger/enforcer for 500K (S. Thorton).  Paying 4 Mil/year for a banger is STUPID.

The difference between S. Thorton and Looch skillwise does not justify paying Looch 8x what Sean makes.  You build your team around skill, and then use leftover money to buy bangers because bangers SHOULD BE cheap.

Ask yourself this.  Would you rather have a true line 1 winger with a dynamic scoring touch and S. Thorton (estimated combined salary = 5M) or a 800K/yr 15 goal winger and Lucic (estimated combined salary = 5M).

You of course take choice A because the difference between S. Thorton and Looch isnt nearly as vast as the difference between a great winger and a mediocre winger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The short: Looch got paid way more than the intersection of supply and demand

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

its funny how many are quick to jump off the wagon.  but once lucic turns sh!t around the same people are like o man lucic is the man blah blah. what lames
    Posted by Bergie4MVP

The truth is that yes, he is the man.  But he is also way overpaid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Right - and how many hits did he have last year playing against top defensive pairings on the #1 line?  5-6 a night?  Was JJ paying the other teams' defensemen to stand still so Milan could lay the body a few times and help sell some jerseys?  Yzerman must have told Team Canada not to skate hard at orientation camp, too, seeing as Lucic was able to keep up with the pace of the group.

As for the comparison to Kessel, I'll sing this song until Rancourt retires - Lucic is a better passer than he gets credit for, and what you "create" with offensive "creativity" is space and time and a positional advantage over your opponent.  Lucic doesn't do this by skating circles around the perimeter or trying (and usually failing) to beat guys with high-risk moves at the offensive blue line.  He takes a guy out of the play and distributes the puck quickly to someone in good postion to make the next move.  He does that very well when healthy.  More than one way to skin a cat, and if you don't recognize that, then well, I can't help you.  Kessel has done nothing, won nothing, since he stepped up to college hockey.  Lucic was captain and MVP of a memorial cup winning team, captain of Team Canada for the Junior summit series that Canada won 7-0-1, and his arrival on the team coincided with the Bruins going from laughable under Dave Lewis to gutsy as an 8th place team, to top of the Conference.  Every coach he's ever had has raved about his drive to get better, his work ethic, and the way he motivates guys around him.  Ripping this guy for an injury-plagued season this year is a symptom of a serious lack of perspective.  If he goes all Martin Lapointe for the next year or two, fine - rip away.  But it won't happen.  That's not this kid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Drewski, you keep comparing lucic to thornton, I think you know thats not true.. and as far as the supply and demand aspect that lucic is greatly over paid, I think there is an offensive upside, 90 pts, probably not 20-30 low 30s in goals probably..

But that is not, and can not be his measuring stick alone, how greatly over paid is he then say steve ott, who is older, not as physical, not as much of an upside, and just signed for 4 years 11.8??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

I can outskate Lucic.

We're paying him $4 Million. He's playing like a multi-millionaire. Thats who he is NOW.

Meanwhile, we're reduced to cheering everytime Kessel is held scoreless in a game. Whoo-peee!

And hoping we can get a single 20-goal scorer.

And hoping we can get a single Garden win this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibbs77. Show gibbs77's posts

In Response to LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?:
    Wow I cannot believe we are paying this loser over 12 million for the next 3 years and we wouldn't pay Phil Kessel. Posted by chrisbruinsfan1985

Get over it already.  Kessel made it clear that he wasn't going to sign here no matter what.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No. You can't.  Not a healthy Lucic.  And the confluence of injuries, his new contract, and his drop in production makes it impossible to say that the reason he's off now is because of the contract.  The kid has a long track record of being a high-character guy.  Low-character guys (Hi Phyllis!) disappear when they sign big contracts.  Lucic's history should by him some benefit of the doubt.

As for cheering everytime Kessel proves he isn't a $5.5M dollar player? That's got a lot more to do with the sepia-toned longing you read about him on this board and how he was oh so dreamy in Black and Gold.  He's the poster boy for one good season.  Through two years, his highest goal total was 19.  Through two years, Lucic's highest goal total was 17.  Given that there are some who are happy to rip the guys the Bruins kept but puff Kessel up as a 50 goal scorer - something he has never been, and will never be as long as he has one move - yeah, I find if fun to point out Kessel's struggles.  As in "really?  This is the yutz you're dreaming about?"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

exactly bookboy007 nice post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Lucic has missed over half the season, the rest he's played while recovering from one of sport's most difficuly injuries and people wonder why he hasn't played like he used to?  Stuff happens.  See you next October.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I think the fans here are simply too quick to judge young players and write them off way too early.  Whether a player is worth $5 million or $4 million is basically up to the bean counters.

Kessel will definitely become a 40+ goal scorer (forget the 1 move, it's the quick release that makes him the scorer he is) and Lucic will bounce back to be a strong power forward, probably 25+ goals range.  Lucic will be valuable in his role for the Bruins and Kessel will be valuable in his role on the Leafs.

I can't wait for the Bruin fans to jump all over Taylor Hall when he doesn't score 30 in his 1st year.

With fans like what I read on this forum, why would a young player even want to play for the Bruins is beyond me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Drewski, you keep comparing lucic to thornton, I think you know thats not true.. and as far as the supply and demand aspect that lucic is greatly over paid, I think there is an offensive upside, 90 pts, probably not 20-30 low 30s in goals probably.. But that is not, and can not be his measuring stick alone, how greatly over paid is he then say steve ott, who is older, not as physical, not as much of an upside, and just signed for 4 years 11.8??
    Posted by rolerhoky19

In my opinion, the hitting and enforcing is close enough to a wash (I dont agree with paying for hits, statistics show that they are NOT very correlated with winning). Therefore the only way for Looch to make up the contract differential (3.5M) is to be a 3.5M winger.  That's 25 goals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think the fans here are simply too quick to judge young players and write them off way too early.  Whether a player is worth $5 million or $4 million is basically up to the bean counters. Kessel will definitely become a 40+ goal scorer (forget the 1 move, it's the quick release that makes him the scorer he is) and Lucic will bounce back to be a strong power forward, probably 25+ goals range.  Lucic will be valuable in his role for the Bruins and Kessel will be valuable in his role on the Leafs. I can't wait for the Bruin fans to jump all over Taylor Hall when he doesn't score 30 in his 1st year. With fans like what I read on this forum, why would a young player even want to play for the Bruins is beyond me.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Some of us are bean counters, lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

exactly bookboy007 nice post.
    Posted by lucicfan

Good and sensible posts are getting drowned out by all these people who know nothing about what's going on claiming that PC should have gotten a scorer.

Face it people, the only one out there worth anything was Torres.  And sorry, that's pretty lame.  To think he's going to become a 30+ scorer because he was playing with Savard is just wishful thinking.

Screamers and hysterical posts rule the day.  PC worst gm in NHL and so on.  I've posted before, go look at the worst contracts in the NHL - and there are plenty - the Bruins aren't there.  How would you like Briere, Redden or Campbell you idiots?  And Kessel for 5.5 mil?  If he were a Bruin right now, 90% of you would want his head.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL? : Some of us are bean counters, lol.
    Posted by Drewski5

Yeah.....sorry about that.

Obviously the salary cap is everything now and so it does matter.  I think it has sucked a lot of the fun in the league though.

Trade deadline used to be fun with a lot of player movement and huge trades.

Now it's salary dump and 4th round picks that makes news......sad

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Its not  JUST the Lucic contract--which is a problem but is not fatal.

Its not JUST the Thomas contract--which is a problem but not fatal.

Its not JUST the Ryder contract--which is a problem but not fatal.

Its not JUST the Krejci contract--which is a question mark.

As Fluto S pointed out--there are a serious of little problems which--collectively--add up a potential very big problem going forward.

You saw the implications of this yesterday at 3 PM Wednesday.

Will continue to see implications for the next couple years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL? : In my opinion, the hitting and enforcing is close enough to a wash (I dont agree with paying for hits, statistics show that they are NOT very correlated with winning). Therefore the only way for Looch to make up the contract differential (3.5M) is to be a 3.5M winger.  That's 25 goals.
    Posted by Drewski5

Well...on the one hand, I think the Bruins paid him because they think he can be a 25 goal scorer.  And I've written before that he has good enough hands in tight to get there given his size and ability to play with top players.  But I think you're under-estimating the importance of a banger who can play on your top line and not disrupt the skill guys, or even contribute to their games by doing the dirty work and making clean passes.  When you've got a world-class banger - and you have to admit that there are few guys who deliver the force Lucic does when he hits - who is hitting first-pair D all night, those hits are way more valuable.  It's not the number of hits, it's who you hit, right?  If you're a bean-counter, you'd probably be able to figure out some kind of VoRP for guys like Lucic, too, in terms of how much the numbers of his linemates go up with him as opposed to with just another offensively talented guy or with a Shawn Thornton.  I bet that'd be correlated with winning more closely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL? : In my opinion, the hitting and enforcing is close enough to a wash (I dont agree with paying for hits, statistics show that they are NOT very correlated with winning). Therefore the only way for Looch to make up the contract differential (3.5M) is to be a 3.5M winger.  That's 25 goals.
    Posted by Drewski5

but its not, and its not like its a paper stat that you can trac, lucic provides a different intimidation that opens up holes on the ice.. There was a very distinct example of it in the game tuesday, Wideman got dumped hard, a few seconds later the puck came down into his corner on a puck he easily could have gotten to first, and yet he didn't..

That is what lucic provides.. as far as him getting to 25 goals I think thats achievable, he put up 17? last year, and has been hurt most of this year, through 2 seasons his offense has been nearly identical to kessels even...  Along with that him and savard do need a scoring winger out there or yes it is indeed to easy to eliminate lucic.. Savard is also to blame in some of this as he is not shooting as much as he did last season or seasons past, and most of the time when he does its that (and i hate to see it) awful prolonged/exagerrated wind up where clearly he is looking for a pass option and just ends up shooting when nothing opens up..

It lucic comes back with a physical game next year, 20-30 goals are you going to be talking about how overpaid he is? Bearing in mind its next season, not this season that his extension actually kicks in

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL? : Good and sensible posts are getting drowned out by all these people who know nothing about what's going on claiming that PC should have gotten a scorer. Face it people, the only one out there worth anything was Torres.  And sorry, that's pretty lame.  To think he's going to become a 30+ scorer because he was playing with Savard is just wishful thinking. Screamers and hysterical posts rule the day.  PC worst gm in NHL and so on.  I've posted before, go look at the worst contracts in the NHL - and there are plenty - the Bruins aren't there.  How would you like Briere, Redden or Campbell you idiots?  And Kessel for 5.5 mil?  If he were a Bruin right now, 90% of you would want his head.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Okay, so we've justified that:

a) from an objective standpoint, the Bruins need more help than they could have acquired at the deadline.
    b) (this is fact): unless the B's move some money (I dont see how), they are NOT going to be able to get help this upcoming offseason.
    c) (a combination of a and b): we are probably not cup contenders this year or next
    d) Because of point "C" the best bet is probably to build for the future

This being the case, how do you justify NOT shopping Chara (UFA after 2011), Lucic (UFA after 2011), Thomas (the Caps WOULD have been interested), Wheeler (UFA after this year, not going to stay), Recchi (love the guy but he has more value on a cup contender), Sturm (use the lack of talent up for grabs to try to convince a team that taking this bad contract is better than giving up a second for equal talent)...

The worst part?  It was clearly a seller's market.

PC screwed up badly.  Its really not about a lack of hockey knowledge either.  Its more so because he really doesnt understand economics

Sections
Shortcuts