LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?

But I mean, thats the risk, do you wait and hope for an off year, or do you sign him early so he doesn't put up that career year, with lucic they gambled, maybe lost.. With Wheeler, they probably won if they chose to keep him i mean he's older, he doesnt give you that physical side, hes not as creative as krejci, hes probably looking short term 2.5 per, if they signed him 12 months ago though he might be sitting and 3.5-4 as well..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL?:
    But I mean, thats the risk, do you wait and hope for an off year, or do you sign him early so he doesn't put up that career year, with lucic they gambled, maybe lost.. With Wheeler, they probably won if they chose to keep him i mean he's older, he doesnt give you that physical side, hes not as creative as krejci, hes probably looking short term 2.5 per, if they signed him 12 months ago though he might be sitting and 3.5-4 as well..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

These arent easy decisions.  Its why capologists and scouts make good money. 

Good chatting with you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Morph,
    I think another way to look at it though, to put it into context, is outside of toronto, how many teams were willing to sign kessel at 5.25??  I remember a couple rumors, but nothing all that serious..

At the same note how many teams would have been willing to give Looch 4 or more??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: LUCIC SALARY BUMPS TO 4 MIL NEXT YR....KESSEL? : Correct because the Sox were smarter and locked the players up before they had a chance to negotiate.  When a player is an RFA , its already too late.  You have to sign them early.  Lock them up!  I understand its a gamble, but you hire a scouting staff for a reason, and you HAVE to trust them!
    Posted by Drewski5

That's not smarter, that's a CBA question.  NHL clubs can't renegotiate deals until the final year of the existing deal.  Chiarelli got the deal done in the first third of that window, but the threat of Lucic playing out the year then seeing what RFA might bring was already on the table.  So in theory, he did what you want GMs to do, but the practice is different because of the legal framework.  This, and not the philosophy of team-building as you suggest above, is where I see the distinction between leagues.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I realize I still havent answered your question about bangers.  You probably know more about hockey than I do.  But what I do know is business, and its unwise to pay top-dollar to fill a role when you could get slightly less value in said role for cheaper.  If bangers were being signed around the league for 3.5-4.5 at the time that would be one thing, but they werent.  Looch's contract kind of paved the way for this.  Look at what Thorton makes (500 K). He can bang nearly as well.  I'll take your word on the importance of bangers (you clearly know a ton about hockey); however, they could have gotten a slightly less banger for much cheaper. I cant stress this enough: its not about talent.  Its about talent in light of contract.  A B+ banger at 500k is much more valuable than an A+ banger at 4M.
    Posted by Drewski5

I asked you to consider my point about bangers because it impacts your economic argument. You have to look at these grades as though they were on a bell curve when it comes to supply and demand and impact.  A banger who can play on the top line with your best playmaker and best sniper and contribute is a rarer commodity than a B+ scorer*, and his impact is greater - that's why teams drool over them.  Usually, the space they create, the pucks they retrieve, the mistakes they force  even top quality D to make lead not only to their own 20 goals, but to an increase of as many as 20 goals by the line.  Over a 7 game playoff series, they'll wear down the opponent's D more than that B+ scorer.  It makes the match-up game much harder for the opposition.  You're supply and demand argument doesn't account for this.

(What is it about everyone assuming they're the only one who thinks about this using business logic today?)

*You haven't really defined what you mean by this, so I'm assuming guys currently between 20 and 27 goals but excluding superstars whose point totals will be PPG or higher - so not Malkin or Toews or St. Louis. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

only an idiot would give 4 million a year to a player like lucic with little to no offensive creativity, who also doesnt like to fight or hit anyone anymore only and idiot would sign a 35 year old goalie with ONE good season and ONE playoff series win to a 4 year contract with a no trade clause only an idiot would give a player(ryder) coming of 14-17-31 totals in 07-08 a 3 year 12 million contract only an idiot who mismanages the cap has to trade nhl talent to bring up ahl callups(kobasew trade when savard and lucic got hurt in the 6th game of the season, had to trade kobasew to bring up sobotka,marchand,whitfield etc.) only an idiot signs a defenseman(morris) coming off an average 08-09 season to 3.3 million like 3 weeks after july 1st when no one was bidding for him(ever heard of supply and demand chiarelli?) only an idiot has 3 buyouts on the books (murray, schaffer, eaves) Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Peter Chiarelli!!!
    Posted by mikehawkislong69

You're 110% right! But you have forget his fabulous first round draft pick,  Hamill (8th),  and also Tommy Cross second round. 2 big ZERO.

Even with 5 first round picks, as long as Chiarelli will be there, this team will go nowhere.