Lucic Silencing Critics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Lucic Silencing Critics

In Response to Re: Lucic Silencing Critics:
    [QUOTE]dez, if you wouldnt trade Lucic for Bobby Ryan you are crazy for coco puffs.  Bobby Ryan is one of the leagues best power fwds and will put up more goals in 5 yrs than Lucic will in his career.  Its fine to be a homer.  But Lucic just isnt that good.  Would you trade Lucic for Stewart in Colorado? I can't believe I just read that.  I don't wanna trade Lucic.  But by no means is he untouchable.  Not even close.    BS, I hear ya man.  That contract was premature.  Let him play, build his resume and then give him the money.  And I always think Lucic will be a playoff guy.  25 goals and 60 pts, banging and providing leadership is a quality I won't grow tired of.  I am just tired of the Cam comparisons.  He won't lead this team by himself.  Cam could take a team on his shoulders and do everything.  Cam is a HOFer and is the fwd who broke the ground on power fwds. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Although often overlooked,Terry O'reilly was the one who broke the ground on power forwards(90 pts.and 211pims in 77 games in 1977).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

I think Lucic was worth the deal he got. But I would so trade him for bobby ryan in a second. They're around the same age only Bobby is more of a scorer. I think you'd be insane not to make that trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think Lucic was worth the deal he got. But I would so trade him for bobby ryan in a second. They're around the same age only Bobby is more of a scorer. I think you'd be insane not to make that trade.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]
    So the fact Lucic throws 3 hits for every 1 of Ryans and fights all comers has no value to you?Ryder is more of a goal scorer in his career than Lucic.Maybe we need to keep him instead.When Yzerman was choosing players for Team Canada's camp,Lucic was included and Savard wasn't.This tells me that real hockey minds are able to recognize Lucic's unique skill-set.Yzerman realized he could find another scorer(ala Savard)but that Lucic would be harder to replace.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Silencing Critics : So the fact Lucic throws 3 hits for every 1 of Ryans and fights all comers has no value to you?Ryder is more of a goal scorer in his career than Lucic.Maybe we need to keep him instead.When Yzerman was choosing players for Team Canada's camp,Lucic was included and Savard wasn't.This tells me that real hockey minds are able to recognize Lucic's unique skill-set.Yzerman realized he could find another scorer(ala Savard)but that Lucic would be harder to replace.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Look I like Lucic hes one of my favorite bruins players. But the fact that Bobby Ryan scores goals 3-1 to Lucic is why Id do that trade. I doubt Anaheim would though.

And this is all hypothetical Lucic brings an awesome true PWF game and creates tons of space on the ice for Krejci and Horton to make plays. Im not saying id go looking to dump Lucic but if the Anahiem GM was just like ok straight up Ryan for Lucic, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Ryan-Krejci-Horton
    35g     25g    35g

Lucic Krejci Horton
    20g     25g   35g   

would be my predictions for those lines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Playoffs
    Lucic 30 Games 10g 10a 20 pts .67 per game
    Ryan 15 Games 5g 2a 7 pts  .47 per game.

Not a great sampling, but after 3 years, it's valid. 

The reason I prefer Lucic is because of the playoffs 2 years ago, where Anahiem took Detroit to 7 games. I had Ryan in the Playoff Pool, and he did almost nothing in the series. If he did, they'd have gone through, and probably played Pitts in the finals, and I would have won the pool. He's a bum.
    :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Silencing Critics : Look I like Lucic hes one of my favorite bruins players. But the fact that Bobby Ryan scores goals 3-1 to Lucic is why Id do that trade. I doubt Anaheim would though. And this is all hypothetical Lucic brings an awesome true PWF game and creates tons of space on the ice for Krejci and Horton to make plays. Im not saying id go looking to dump Lucic but if the Anahiem GM was just like ok straight up Ryan for Lucic, I would do that in a heartbeat. Ryan-Krejci-Horton 35g     25g    35g Lucic Krejci Horton 20g     25g   35g    would be my predictions for those lines.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]
    I guess your 3-1 goal thing was a purposeful exageration?Ryan would be lucky to score double the goals Lucic does and no one in the league is afraid of Ryan.You guys want to call him a power forward but ryan barely hits and never fights.Perry and Getzlaf are better than Ryan as power forwards and all-around players.I think Perry is a closer match to Lucic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dez,

Your man crush for Lucic is blinding you.  Lucic doesnt take on all comers nor do I want him fighting the elite heavy weights.
    You find me one GM that would deal Lucic for Ryan straight up.  And for the record the list of Canadian invites were numerous.  Lucic had a strong rookie year and an injury plagued second year.

I am not throwing stones at you and your knowledge.  I am seriously questioning it in regards to Lucic over Bobby Ryan.  And if you really want to label the original power fwd you can take it back to the beginning of hockey.  Gordie Howe for a starting point.

I would trade Lucic for Stewart in a second.  would you?  Is Lucic a better power fwd than Clarkson 43 games 11 goals/13 assists?  What about Clutterbuck who set a record for hits and scored more goals (although he played more games)?  But don't throw a few stats and then pretend you are a hockey guru.  Lost of power fwds in this league that are superior in my eyes than Lucic.  Would I trade a few fights and a few hits for a guy who will crack 35 goals and play a solid board game like Ryan.  In a minute.  If you are basing pure stats on players David Clarkson is more valuable.  Chris Stewart?  Compare your numbers.  He fights/hits/leads/scores more.  Again I would make that deal in a minute.

I am confortable with the fact that Lucic likely puts a line of 20-25 goals/30+ assists and 100 PIMS.  Lots of bone jarring hits.  But in my eyes he should have played 1st. Then got paid. 

But who can argue with you and your wisdom on the sport.  I guess I should just agree with you and move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And PS.
    I am a fan of TT and Chara as well and think they were paid prematurely.  Especially TT.  He wouldnt crack 2 million on the open market.  Chara is a wheel chair contract and won't be worth it after about 3 seasons. 
    I find it funny that people didnt want Iginla b/c he is getting old but are more than willing to throw x amount of dollars on Chara.  Iginla has been one of the most productive and durable guys in the league and is well known for his conditioning(like Chara).  But we get him and he is a bum. 

I also hated the Ference contract and the Ryder deal as well.  Ference we could have easily replaced with a better/less injred player.  In fact we could have added two for his price.  But they jumped the gun and brought him back.

I may not say things that everyone likes.  But I am honest and not blinded by the black and gold.  I like Lucic.  I just don't think he is the next coming of Cam. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Shows you how much an injury can affect a player's game. Both Looch and Timmy are looking way better than last year.

It's great to see Looch go into the corner, not get taken off the puck, drag it back allowing him to pass to point or the slot.

And he seems to have good chemistry with Horton.

I like it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

and PSS
    before you put words in my mouth.  No i wouldnt trade Lucic for Clarkson or Clutterbuck.  I was making a point in regards to stats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, Your man crush for Lucic is blinding you.  Lucic doesnt take on all comers nor do I want him fighting the elite heavy weights. You find me one GM that would deal Lucic for Ryan straight up.  And for the record the list of Canadian invites were numerous.  Lucic had a strong rookie year and an injury plagued second year. I am not throwing stones at you and your knowledge.  I am seriously questioning it in regards to Lucic over Bobby Ryan.  And if you really want to label the original power fwd you can take it back to the beginning of hockey.  Gordie Howe for a starting point. I would trade Lucic for Stewart in a second.  would you?  Is Lucic a better power fwd than Clarkson 43 games 11 goals/13 assists?  What about Clutterbuck who set a record for hits and scored more goals (although he played more games)?  But don't throw a few stats and then pretend you are a hockey guru.  Lost of power fwds in this league that are superior in my eyes than Lucic.  Would I trade a few fights and a few hits for a guy who will crack 35 goals and play a solid board game like Ryan.  In a minute.  If you are basing pure stats on players David Clarkson is more valuable.  Chris Stewart?  Compare your numbers.  He fights/hits/leads/scores more.  Again I would make that deal in a minute. I am confortable with the fact that Lucic likely puts a line of 20-25 goals/30+ assists and 100 PIMS.  Lots of bone jarring hits.  But in my eyes he should have played 1st. Then got paid.  But who can argue with you and your wisdom on the sport.  I guess I should just agree with you and move on.
    I haven't bothered mentioning until now but you obviously are asking for it.I've played for 35 years and been a stickhandling instructor for both Turcotte stickhandling and,more recently,Dan O'Briens Total Stickhandling in New Jersey where I trained Bobby Ryan as a teen along with Tim Connelly, Del Zotto,and others.I helped put Bill Guerin through his paces when he was in a contract dispute with the Devils(Dan O'Brien was his personal trainer and is now a pro scout with the Devils).Never on this forum have I even mentioned my credentials,let alone rubbed anyones face in it but you've forced my hand.I don't know you but do I know more about hockey than you?Absolutely!After  coaching Ryan am I in a better position to evaluate his talent?Sure I am but you keep telling me what I don't knowand I'll keep laughing(I'm sure you've coached your share of NHLers too).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

You coached Ryan? Granted it sounds like a lie but I will totally believe you. I am not being confrontational here but Ryan has scored double the goals of lucic and has only been in the league 2years.

2008-9
    Ryan 31g
    lucic 17g

2009-10
    Ryan 35g
    Lucic 9 (this was lucic's injury ruined season so take it for what its worth).

Just sayinggg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I am glad you are a better hockey person than me if thats possible.  The fact you have sat in on some of these things is great.  The fact you played 35 years is great as well.  I do have a nice resume including Major Junior/Canadian Universsity where I was part of a National championship winning team, played semi-pro in Wichita.  yeah I did hockey schools as well with Cam Russell and Glen Muray(personal friend).  The best part is that I was coached by some amazing hockey people like Mike Kelly and Mike Johnson. 
    But does that make me an expert?  No.  If I had never laced up a day in my life does that make me less knowledgeable? Nope.  The fact that guys that coach in the league didnt/don't have decorated hockey careers but were smart hockey guys kinda goes along with that as well(scotty Bowman is a pretty good example).

Anyway, you obviously are an edcuated man of the sport so I am not trying to down play anything.  I am saying Lucic isnt better than Ryan. Bottom line!  I would love to see what 30 GMs would say.  But we will never know.  for now all we have is an opinion.  You threw stats.  I threw some back.  You obviously trumped me with your stickhandling school.  Relax man.  Lets just agree that Lucic is a fine hockey player on a great team like the Bruins and let it rest. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And just for the record I don't really think I forced your hand.  Lots of guys on here have hockey history especially if from Canada where we are born with skates on.  I haven't seen too many of them boasting about a career in hockey.  IF you were that good you would not be on a message board, you likely would be at a rink coachin instead of debating the Lucic contract.

Now can we please kiss and make up. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I am glad you are a better hockey person than me if thats possible.  The fact you have sat in on some of these things is great.  The fact you played 35 years is great as well.  I do have a nice resume including Major Junior/Canadian Universsity where I was part of a National championship winning team, played semi-pro in Wichita.  yeah I did hockey schools as well with Cam Russell and Glen Muray(personal friend).  The best part is that I was coached by some amazing hockey people like Mike Kelly and Mike Johnson.  But does that make me an expert?  No.  If I had never laced up a day in my life does that make me less knowledgeable? Nope.  The fact that guys that coach in the league didnt/don't have decorated hockey careers but were smart hockey guys kinda goes along with that as well(scotty Bowman is a pretty good example). Anyway, you obviously are an edcuated man of the sport so I am not trying to down play anything.  I am saying Lucic isnt better than Ryan. Bottom line!  I would love to see what 30 GMs would say.  But we will never know.  for now all we have is an opinion.  You threw stats.  I threw some back.  You obviously trumped me with your stickhandling school.  Relax man.  Lets just agree that Lucic is a fine hockey player on a great team like the Bruins and let it rest. 
    I guess you must be from the Cole Harbour region to be friends with Cam Russell and Murray.I played against Russell through the early years.He was a bad man.Shame about the heartache in his personal life.Where did you play major junior by the way(the Q league I assume)?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

[QUOTE]dez, if you wouldnt trade Lucic for Bobby Ryan you are crazy for coco puffs.  Bobby Ryan is one of the leagues best power fwds and will put up more goals in 5 yrs than Lucic will in his career.  Its fine to be a homer.  But Lucic just isnt that good.  Would you trade Lucic for Stewart in Colorado? I can't believe I just read that.  I don't wanna trade Lucic.  But by no means is he untouchable.  Not even close.    BS, I hear ya man.  That contract was premature.  Let him play, build his resume and then give him the money.  And I always think Lucic will be a playoff guy.  25 goals and 60 pts, banging and providing leadership is a quality I won't grow tired of.  I am just tired of the Cam comparisons.  He won't lead this team by himself.  Cam could take a team on his shoulders and do everything.  Cam is a HOFer and is the fwd who broke the ground on power fwds. 

Comparing players now adays to players of the past is moot for two reasons. First off, yesterdays greats would be average players in todays NHL. Secondly, the players today wouldnt be nearly as good as they are without those players coming before them. Its evolution and its a constant cycle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Silencing Critics : I guess you must be from the Cole Harbour region to be friends with Cam Russell and Murray.I played against Russell through the early years.He was a bad man.Shame about the heartache in his personal life.Where did you play major junior by the way(the Q league I assume)?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    My apologies for coming off as a jerk.I just get tired of some of the experts on here questioning my hockey knowledge.I also think you're being modest about your hockey resume as,even in Canada,it is very impressive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hey Dez,

No worries dude,  I have my annoying moments and I have no problem debating some issues.  I am a bit hard on Lucic.  I actually grew up in cole Harbour for the 1st part and watched Cam as a kid.  Then moved to Bridgewater.  Played with Glen growing up all through way through, he went to Sudbury and I went to the Q- Laval.  After I graduated univesity I had a double end contract with the old IHL/CHL.  Stayed there for a cup of coffee and realized that you had to be a scorer or a fighter.  I was never a scorer and although I am a large fella my fighting wasn't that great either.  I could have used your stick handling school.  Haha

I am sure we will have our battle of the brains on here from time to time.  Your resume isn't shabby either. 

Cheers bud.
    And remember.  I am devils advocate.  haha....I actually like Lucic a lot. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupes, dez - this argument isn't even really a hockey question, is it?  It starts with shupes saying he thinks Lucic got paid before he'd earned it.  But you know what?  That's modern pro sports.  Guys get paid now for what a team thinks the player will do.  What he has done is only part of the equation when setting those expectations.  I say "a team" because this is largely a function of free agency.  Players can sell their services to the highest bidder, and it only takes one GM who thinks that Lucic can have a Neely-like impact (meaning not necessarily 50 goals in 46 games, but a warrior in all phases who makes other players more courageous) for the price to jump.  That's what happened with Lucic. 

The sequence of events is there for all to see - teams were trying to draft "the next Lucic" in 2009; polls were identifying him as most exciting (sells tickets) and most intimidating; and he didn't look out of place at the Olympic development camp - a fact that's more important than his invitation.  Teams wanted a guy who could really play with top line forwards but who also punished the top flight defenders who play against top lines.  That's rare.  Rarer than shooters even.  And every GM dreams of a Moose who can have the impact Byfuglien had on last year's playoffs.

And let's not forget, Lucic isn't without resume (seeing as we're talking resumes).  Captain of a Memorial Cup winner.  Captain of the all-star team that hammered Russia in the Jr. Super Series.  Memorial Cup MVP.  It's pretty clear, isn't it?  Where he goes, they win.

Last - for reasons that have nothing to do with the boards, I'm jealous of both of your on-ice resumes; I just wish I'd been a better player.  I've said before my family was a football family and I skate accordingly.  Like the Getzlaf's though, one member of the family crossed over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Dez, No worries dude,  I have my annoying moments and I have no problem debating some issues.  I am a bit hard on Lucic.  I actually grew up in cole Harbour for the 1st part and watched Cam as a kid.  Then moved to Bridgewater.  Played with Glen growing up all through way through, he went to Sudbury and I went to the Q- Laval.  After I graduated univesity I had a double end contract with the old IHL/CHL.  Stayed there for a cup of coffee and realized that you had to be a scorer or a fighter.  I was never a scorer and although I am a large fella my fighting wasn't that great either.  I could have used your stick handling school.  Haha I am sure we will have our battle of the brains on here from time to time.  Your resume isn't shabby either.  Cheers bud. And remember.  I am devils advocate.  haha....I actually like Lucic a lot. 
    Typical that the 2 maritimers would be  battling.Just glad you're such a knowledgeable fan.I suppose people have had the Gretzky-Lemeiux debate forever and neither of them are bad players.Cheers.Let's hope the Bruins keep winning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Book,

I agree and you made me laugh at your last sentence.  People often compared my skating to Mats Sundin with a piano on his back.  My point on Lucic is a moot point.  I feel that a player needs to show what he is worth before buying the product.  Lucic is going to be a good player for us for a long time.  I also lamented about ference.  Just think about his contract with the same statement you made.  We could have two very good 5-6 d-men with his money.  TT was given a kings payday as well when this yrs market for goalies was bargain basement prices.  I actually like TT a lot.  But the Ference deal really grinds my gears.

Dez, where are you from anyway?  You likely knocked me down along the way.

And for the record- Gretzky!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Real shame that the Oilers started Marlining players off (anachronistic, I know...) 2-3 years before Lemieux got some real support in Pitt.  Imagine: Oilers v. Penguins in the Cup finals. Gretzky v. Lemieux head to head with everything on the line.  I drool just thinking about that even though Gretzky wasn't the 200 point guy he'd been.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Book, I agree and you made me laugh at your last sentence.  People often compared my skating to Mats Sundin with a piano on his back.  My point on Lucic is a moot point.  I feel that a player needs to show what he is worth before buying the product.  Lucic is going to be a good player for us for a long time.  I also lamented about ference.  Just think about his contract with the same statement you made.  We could have two very good 5-6 d-men with his money.  TT was given a kings payday as well when this yrs market for goalies was bargain basement prices.  I actually like TT a lot.  But the Ference deal really grinds my gears. Dez, where are you from anyway?  You likely knocked me down along the way. And for the record- Gretzky!!!!!
    saint John,NB but I'm a few years older  than you  I think.Gretzky for sure though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

SJ New Brunswick.  Been there many times.  The CIS nationals are back in Freddy Beach for the next two years so being an alumni player I likely will be up to take in the festivities.

Cheers man.

Sections
Shortcuts