Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tukkainnet. Show tukkainnet's posts

Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated?

I was talking with my brother today about the game last night, the upcoming year for the B's, the possible trades or roster moves when our discussion took a strange turn.  I'm a Krejci fan.  I've always liked the smart player who makes the right play at the right time. He's a Neely fan who always complains that hockey has been sissified and become a "Euro" league.  We were talking about our hopes that the B's could land a player like Kovalchuk at the deadline and what they would have to do to keep him.  I said "We'll probably have to send Wheeler or let someone pick up his contract."  He responded with "God damn I hope not that means we'll be pay'in to much Looch and I don't think he's even close to worth it."
    He continued to say "Lucic is so overrated.  Yeah, he's big and strong and it's fun to watch him hit and fight, but he can't handle a puck, make a pass or score any sort of goal other then a trash rebound or perfectly placed dish.  He should be on the 3rd line."  I was blown away by all of this.  I love watching Looch highlights but when I thought about it everything he said seemed true.  I know he clears up space for the others on the ice...I know he is an enforcer to protect the skilled players, but how much is Looch worth to you?? For me..I want him on the B's. He's part of the B's identity but if we give him Krejci money we are crazy (by the way Krejci took a ridiculously cheap deal). What do you guys think? Looch or Wheeler?  Who would you want?  What would you pay?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Re: Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated?

Both will be re-signed as they are the top two wingers for this team moving forward. I would say Lucic and Wheeler net similar contracts, but ending on different years. You would have to think it will be in the area of 3-4yr deals worth slightly more than Krejci got last spring.

Since they were both dynamic last season, this season will tell a lot, because signing one to a long term deal is sort of a knock at the others play throughout this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tukkainnet. Show tukkainnet's posts

I can't see paying Lucic more then Krejci.  What's the upside for Looch; a 20+ goal scorer.  He's only got one season in but I could see Wheeler breaking 30 consistantly maybe even 40 a couple times with the right center.  I think Wheeler will be the one to get moved but the one I would probably be willing to pay up for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

It depends what you prefer.  Lucic is at his best in the playoffs and Wheeler is completely invisible in the playoff but can give you nice stats with the soft hands in the regular season.  To me it is all about the playoffs but maybe it is just me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

This season will be very important to both Lucic and Wheeler.  Lucic has proven that he can hit and fight.  Now he has to prove that he can be more of an offensive threat.  He is good at keeping the puck in the corners and along the boards, and had some nice assists in the preseason.  Chemistry-wise, he worked great with Kessel, digging along the boards, and protecting both Kessel and Savard.   Time will tell if he finds that kind of chemistry on a line this season.  At times last season he seemed to get caught up in his own hype, and began to run around looking for big hits.  It earned him some time on the third line.  I think that as the season unfolds, we will be able to see if Lucic is destined to be a team leader, or a career third-liner who can beat and bang, and get a goal now and then. 

Wheeler has shown a willingness to bulk up, but that appears to have slowed him down considerably.  The speed isn't going to come back overnight, so Wheels might have a tough month.  Hopefully he is back to his first half form of last season before long.  I would look for him to fare better in the second half of this sesaon than last, since last season was his first out of college.  Nobody is more aware than Wheeler himself that it is unacceptable for a professional athlete to burn out the way he did last season.

As for what they will be worth to the Bruins come contract time after the season, who knows?  At this time last season, Krejci was a promising kid off of the farm who had looked good late in the previous season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

I would choose Lucic over Wheeler without thinking more than 3 seconds.  Lucic actually has some good hands.  Remember his hat trick?  Remember that great tip in of the Aaron Ward shot in the playoffs?  He has scored some beauties.  His weakness is slow skating, and he knows that and is working to speed up. 

If Lucic was just a third line banger, the Bruins mamagement would not have placed so much faith in advancing him and other teams would not be coveting him.  There are lots of third-fourth line bangers around.  Lucic has premium skills that can change the temper of a game.

Wheeler is not sure what his game is.  As one poster pointed out above, his added size seems to have slowed him down.  Last year, CJ remarked (to paraphrase), Sure he does some great stick handling.  But to what end/ purpose?  He meant that Wheeler was not finishing plays with passes or shots that mattered. 

I am not a Wheeler fan and would not grieve at all if he was traded as part of a deal for Kovalchuk or some other top grade right winger.  Check out some old posts by BruinsUnite.  She calls him "Princess Wheels".  Sure he stickhandled through three St Louis guys and scored one time in 2008.  But those guys were moribund.  To me, he doesn't make consistent plays controling or setting up plays like the wonderful Krejci or even like Ryder, who can move the puck so well when he's on his game and has the great shot to finish.

Lucic will get around 3.5 million 5 years and deserves it.  Wheeler?  Good trade bait. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

As long as Lucic keeps playing with an edge he will be a cornerstone for the next 10 yrs., he's actually underated in terms of what his prescense means to this club. As for Wheeler, I'm not of fan of 6'5" forwards who play soft and look to avoid contact whenever possible. He reminds me of a 7' basketball player who likes to shoot jump shots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Can you give me one Boston player who played harder and put it all on the line and made a difference evertytime he stepped on the ice in last years playoffs than Looch? He did it in Jr, international compitition and now the NHL. Overated? I don't think so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Vancouver will overpay to bring Lucic home. Lucic is royalty there.

This is the year for the Bruins. Look at the Cap. Its gotta happen now.

They must land Kovalchuck next spring. Actually think its a done deal in Chiarelli's mind,  You don't give up your top scorer (Kessel) for nothing THIS year in a year you're going for the Cup.  Kovalchuck is the final piece of the puzzle.

Lucic brings a ton to the table..love his style...but the fact is the Bruins may not be able to justify paying twice what he's worth. Vancouver MAY.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Big year for Looch and I think he needs to continue his progression. He will be inked as a Bruin for the next 4-5 years.  More than Krecji ?  No, maybe 3M.
    The problem I see with everyone is comparing him to Cam Neely.
    Both wingers, opposite sides, big, strong and can hurt, with the fist and shoulder.
    Neely fooled a lot of people with his skating but he was a better skater than Lucic.
    Yes it took Neely a little while to develop into a scoring machine and Lucic still has time but I've been waiting to see a power forward like Cam now for over 10 years and nobody has come close, nobody. Neely is a hall-of-famer for crying out loud.
    All things said Lucic is still young and just starting to learn to use his size in the NHL.  We all hope he can become a player like Cam but that would just be unfair to him .  Let's not compare.
    Wheeler ,I have to say,  last year his first 30 games I was so excited with his size , his strides on the ice and stick handling ! I was ranting " Rookie of the year !!  "
    He just has too much talent to give up on and as a fan I'm willing to be patient.

Both of these guys are not enough (freeing up cap space) to get Kovalchuk to sign in Boston next season. He wants around 7M . As rental yes but too much of a high price to give up one of these two and picks .  Besides Atlanta does not want to take risks on RFA's. They will be looking for young talent under contract and picks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I can't see Lucic getting more than Krejci either. He is tops in the league physically but that alone does not get you the big money, that comes when you start racking up the points. I would guess around 3 mil for Looch unless another team makes a serious run for him, which is quite possible, he is a playoff built player.

Wheeler physical has been throwing his body around much more this year and making good use of his new size with out losing speed. He has looked a bit sloppy so far this year but its real early, he'll be fine. Unless he has a break out year i would guess about 2.5mil.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IWell he might make Team Canada for 2010 and that is not easy
    Just the fact that he is invited says loads I like his game and he hasn't reached his full potential yetn Response to Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated?:
    [QUOTE]I was talking with my brother today about the game last night, the upcoming year for the B's, the possible trades or roster moves when our discussion took a strange turn.  I'm a Krejci fan.  I've always liked the smart player who makes the right play at the right time. He's a Neely fan who always complains that hockey has been sissified and become a "Euro" league.  We were talking about our hopes that the B's could land a player like Kovalchuk at the deadline and what they would have to do to keep him.  I said "We'll probably have to send Wheeler or let someone pick up his contract."  He responded with "God damn I hope not that means we'll be pay'in to much Looch and I don't think he's even close to worth it." He continued to say "Lucic is so overrated.  Yeah, he's big and strong and it's fun to watch him hit and fight, but he can't handle a puck, make a pass or score any sort of goal other then a trash rebound or perfectly placed dish.  He should be on the 3rd line."  I was blown away by all of this.  I love watching Looch highlights but when I thought about it everything he said seemed true.  I know he clears up space for the others on the ice...I know he is an enforcer to protect the skilled players, but how much is Looch worth to you?? For me..I want him on the B's. He's part of the B's identity but if we give him Krejci money we are crazy (by the way Krejci took a ridiculously cheap deal). What do you guys think? Looch or Wheeler?  Who would you want?  What would you pay?     
    Posted by tukkainnet[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TobiasHeffernan. Show TobiasHeffernan's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated?:
    [QUOTE]As long as Lucic keeps playing with an edge he will be a cornerstone for the next 10 yrs., he's actually underated in terms of what his prescense means to this club. As for Wheeler, I'm not of fan of 6'5" forwards who play soft and look to avoid contact whenever possible. He reminds me of a 7' basketball player who likes to shoot jump shots.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

wheeler put on alot of muscle and bulked up. your gonna see a big year out of him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic....Big...Strong...Overated? : wheeler put on alot of muscle and bulked up. your gonna see a big year out of him
    Posted by TobiasHeffernan

Heart and grit is not something you can get from going to the gym, it's something you are born with. He was made a healthy scratch last year when his team was fighting for thier lives without him. It wasn't because of that "hitting the wall" BS either. I hope you're right, I'll believe it when I see it......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Luc big strong and RATED. He was wanted by team Canda for a reason if not to play this year he will be there in the future.

He will sign between 2.8 & 3.2M, he will not be greedy. Wheels will be worth close to his 2.875M of his bonus signed contract, but he will probably ask for more. Krecji was signed for too much considering he had only played 1 full season, he should have had a progressive contract with cap closer to3.3 over 4 maybe, after that he would be closer to the Savard contract if he becomes the star he looks like he will be.

Wheels had never played that long a season and definetly not against the calibre of the NHL. His weight from what I have seen has not slowed him down one bit and he has been throwing a few hits as well. He will be fine.

Luc has no problems with speed, his problem is his gait is unorthodox, he will never be compared to a Beliveau. He is more like a Bull in a China Shop, aColt newly born... Neely had similar statements about his skating and he worked hard on his skating,but Luc is faster. Luc surprised at Cdn camp with more speed than they thought he had.

There isn't a team in the league that would not be glad to have him right now, especially any team looking for a playoff run..

He will be a B next year, Van will never get him. He will buy into the Neely idea that Bruin's rule.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Regarding Wheeler and his adding muscle. Adding muscle, does not slow you down. If you watched last nights game, he was flying around the ice. Wheeler's upside is outstanding. I can't believe some people are giving up on him. His problem last season is not uncommon for guys coming out of college. This is the season where we'll all have a chance to fully evaluate his potential. Lucic, and what Bruin fan doesn't love the Looooccch, but he's not the next Cam Kneely. Similiar in style and attitude, but just not on the same skill level of Cam. That said, I hope his salary demands are not outrageous (see Phil Kessel) because the thought of him playing for anybody but the B's is just too depressing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Big year for Looch and I think he needs to continue his progression. He will be inked as a Bruin for the next 4-5 years.  More than Krecji ?  No, maybe 3M. The problem I see with everyone is comparing him to Cam Neely. Both wingers, opposite sides, big, strong and can hurt, with the fist and shoulder. Neely fooled a lot of people with his skating but he was a better skater than Lucic. Yes it took Neely a little while to develop into a scoring machine and Lucic still has time but I've been waiting to see a power forward like Cam now for over 10 years and nobody has come close, nobody. Neely is a hall-of-famer for crying out loud. All things said Lucic is still young and just starting to learn to use his size in the NHL.  We all hope he can become a player like Cam but that would just be unfair to him .  Let's not compare. Wheeler ,I have to say,  last year his first 30 games I was so excited with his size , his strides on the ice and stick handling ! I was ranting " Rookie of the year !!  " He just has too much talent to give up on and as a fan I'm willing to be patient. Both of these guys are not enough (freeing up cap space) to get Kovalchuk to sign in Boston next season. He wants around 7M . As rental yes but too much of a high price to give up one of these two and picks .  Besides Atlanta does not want to take risks on RFA's. They will be looking for young talent under contract and picks.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I just don't understand why someone has to disparage one player to praise another. 

Why does one have to be bad for the other to be good? Aren't they both good (albeit very different) players?

At any rate, I can see the Bruins certainly hanging on to both.

And if I don't hear a word about Ilya Kovalchuk for the next six months, I'll be happy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB77. Show BB77's posts

Lucic is the proto typical Bruin player,like Terry O'Reilly or Cam Neely.We have some great young guns down on the farm like Hamil or Marchant that could make up for losing a Wheeler,but to me Lucic is untouchable.Also remember this kid is young,hasn't evan reached his potentional and has a great upside.He may never get Neely numbers but I can see him potting 30 goals,plus he creates room for his linemates which increase their production.Not woth Kredjic money for sure,but having watched him play for the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League and single handily winning games and helping that team win a championship I really believe the best is yet to come. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't understand why someone has to disparage one player to praise another.  Why does one have to be bad for the other to be good? Aren't they both good (albeit very different) players? At any rate, I can see the Bruins certainly hanging on to both. And if I don't hear a word about Ilya Kovalchuk for the next six months, I'll be happy.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

How about if you like one player and don't like another?  Isn't that what it means to be a fan?  Albeit for sometimes fickle reasons, we have our favorites and unfavorites.  

Also we have full rights to change our (fickle) minds.  Example-- I really hated Begin the last two years but am now growing to like him. 

Sports fans are known to like or dislike a team based on one player, or one thing one player was reported to have said, or one incident in one game, or even uniform design.  That's the great thing about being a sports fan-- you don't have to be fair or reasonable, as in life vocation and relationships.

About Kovalchuk-- Now that B fans don't have Kessel to obsess over (except to chart his progress in Toronto), what else are they going to speculate about?  Playing GM is the chief entertainment herein.  We can expect at least 1000 trade scenarios concerning Ilya K this season.

I was impressed by how close the speculation about Kessel came to the truth, to what actually did transpire.  Pretty smart hockey heads in these forums!!   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michelle-. Show Michelle-'s posts

[QUOTE]It depends what you prefer.  Lucic is at his best in the playoffs and Wheeler is completely invisible in the playoff but can give you nice stats with the soft hands in the regular season.  To me it is all about the playoffs but maybe it is just me.
    Posted by lucaooo[/QUOTE]

I agree that Wheeler was invisible in the play-offs, no doubt about that. However,
    You have to give him a little bit of a break. I mean the kid was a rookie last year and it was his first year in the play offs. And not only are the play offs a big deal, but they are playing for Boston. As fans we are very passionate about our teams. Imagine what it would be like to be a player at game 7 last year, looking into the stands after Walker's goal, and seeing grown men crying...lol.

I really beleive that he has come into this season with a whole new perspective on what he should be doing on and off the ice. Starting with his size, and throwing a few hits around. I think that it's going to be a very good year for both of them. But it is a little to early in the season to decide who is worth it or not. We have quite the team right now. I personally wouldn't want to see anyone go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Lucic, a true power forward. is a rare commodity.

end of story

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

Lucic isn't overrated, not even close. People peg him as a young Cam Neeley, which is probably true outside of the scoring ability. Lucic is a power forward...A TRUE power forward which means he'll bash bodies to open up scoring lanes for the other guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]Lucic isn't overrated, not even close. People peg him as a young Cam Neeley, which is probably true outside of the scoring ability. Lucic is a power forward... A TRUE power forward which means he'll bash bodies to open up scoring lanes for the other guys.
    Posted by Pezell04x[/QUOTE]

forget comparing lucic to neely , neely was neely because he can score big , lucic will never score 50 but lucic is certainly a precious player.

what i want to see is how he does offensively in the playoffs when he is matched against great players. Remeber in the playoffs he will be counted for his production not his fighting abilities.
    bring back kess

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Whhel er does hav etalent but when i see him he's missing something and i do not mean that he needs to go out there and bang , he just does ot seem to have a game face on. he lacks that inner agression.

we do need to give him time but not sold on him yet

Sections
Shortcuts