Marco Sturm:Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Marco Sturm:Update

Bruins winger Marco Sturm (out since Game 1 Philly series; knee) to start skating on his own this or next week. http://es.pn/9E8Giz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: Marco Sturm:Update

...raising the sticky question, what happens when he (and/or Savard) returns?

Who goes?

To early to say, but you gotta start wondering...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good to hear Sturm is progressing.
    Caron will be in Prov.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Well CCM I been thinning over this also Babaloo. My Quick Draw McDraw is still "doing all of thinning around here. "

If the kid Sequin shows NHL readiness he will be put on the RW with Savy and LW will be a big question. Looch Krejci and Horton are off to good starting line.

Which Bruin will be the best trade bait to make room ??????? Wheels Paille and Hunwick package for AHL prospects????????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

CapGeek is updating its calculator for next season, so I will have to go by memory on this: when both Savard and Sturm come back, they have to shed about $2.5M to get under the cap, and that's with Caron in the AHL and Seguin back in Juniors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Jordan Caron could be returned to Providence,but because Tyler Seguin is an 18yr old after 9 games he either goes back to junior or stays with the big club.After 10 games he cannot be returned to juniors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I know that the cap is calculated on a prorated basis, so if both, Savard and Sturm, miss a quarter of the season, I would think that the Bruins save just over one million on Savard and about 800k on Sturm for a total saving of ~1.8 million. I think the Bruins were 3.5 million over the cap with everyone's salaruy included, so they'd have to shed $1.7 million with the injury savings.

So our options are to dump (A) Ryder (4 million), (B)Hunwick and Paille/Caron/Marchand/McQuaid (~2.1 million), (C) Ference (2.2 million), (D) Seguin (3.5 million and very, very unlikely).

If we get rid of Ryder, that would make us cap compliant and give us an additional $1.3 million in cap space after factoring in Savard and Sturm. This would allow us to pick up a second line forward/second pairing D-man at the deadline. If we packaged in a Ference or Hunwick, we could probably upgrade that to a first line/first pairing player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

"Pro-rate" only works for players not on the team at all.  LTIR functions differently (as far as I can tell from the CBA, at least).  They don't save any salary, they are just allowed to exceed the cap with replacement players.

So right now, the Bruins are using the entire cap, plus $4.9M.  That is under the $7.5M they are allowed to go over because of Savard and Sturm, so right now is okay.  If both miss 1/4 of the season, then when they come back the Bruins essentially have to get their roster to the point where 3/4 of the yearly salaries for the players on the roster <= $44.55M.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update:
    [QUOTE]"Pro-rate" only works for players not on the team at all.  LTIR functions differently (as far as I can tell from the CBA, at least).  They don't save any salary, they are just allowed to exceed the cap with replacement players. So right now, the Bruins are using the entire cap, plus $4.9M.  That is under the $7.5M they are allowed to go over because of Savard and Sturm, so right now is okay.  If both miss 1/4 of the season, then when they come back the Bruins essentially have to get their roster to the point where 3/4 of the yearly salaries for the players on the roster <= $44.55M.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right. LTIR is not prorated but lets you exceed. Feel kind of stupid for the above post, but glad you pointed that out. I think I might actually read the CBA soon lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update : Yeah, you are right. LTIR is not prorated but lets you exceed. Feel kind of stupid for the above post, but glad you pointed that out. I think I might actually read the CBA soon lol.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]
    Make sure you have a strong drink handy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]CapGeek is updating its calculator for next season, so I will have to go by memory on this: when both Savard and Sturm come back, they have to shed about $2.5M to get under the cap, and that's with Caron in the AHL andSeguin back in Juniors.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Yes but by the time Sturm gets back in the lineup won't it be to late for Seguin to be sent back to juniors ?  Of course seeing he's progressing and not regressing.
    Caron and/or Marchand can be and will be sent down if need be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Based on game #2 only, Ryder, Seguin, and Caron will stay when Sturm and /or Savvy return. Right now Savvy looks to be out longer than Sturm who could return in mid-Nov. If play continues as  well, the lines should stay at Lucic/Kreji/Horton; Marchand/Campbell/ Thornton; then it becomes more fluid with options like Sturm/Seguin/ryder or Sturm/Bergeron/Caron. So, what happens to Wheeler and Paille?? what about Recchi?? does he go back with Bergeron. Also, do the Bruins really need Thornton if Campbell/Lucic take care of attitudes, and what if Hunwick is replaced by McQuaid who can join Campbell and Lucic ? Also, does Ference hurting open up for Bartkowski?  Then what do the Bruins do when Savard is ready to come back??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espo72. Show Espo72's posts

Bogie6 - Fererence is hurt already? Haven't read that anywhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Bogie6 - Fererence is hurt already? Haven't read that anywhere.
    Posted by Espo72[/QUOTE]

KPD mentioned a possible injury to Ference that might keep him out of yesterday's game in the Bruins Blog.  However, Ference ended up playing anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Isn't it only a matter of time before Ference's groin starts acting up?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Ryder - $4 mill - is gone if Sturm and Savard come back healthy and there is no other injuries, there's no way around it.

After that, you need to choose 2 of the following to be sent down - Marchand, Caron, Paille, or Thorton. I say Caron and Marchand but I couldn't argue with Paille and Caron (in that instance, a trade of Paille). I think you have to send Caron down when Savy and Sturm come back since I think he would benefit from more ice time in Providence vs. pulling 4th line duty.

Keep McQuaid as a healthy scratch and if need be, put Hunwick on 4th line forward duty and put McQuaid there.

If the B's want, they can defer Seguin, Recchi, Caron, or Marchand's bonuses to next year and exceed the cap that way, I just don't think it's wise as it will hamstring you next year.

Don't see Caron sticking when Savard and Sturm get back unless someone else gets hurt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Ference is seriously injury prone. The man could cut himself with an eraser :P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Not for nothing, but who cares.  Sturm is a 3rd line grinder on this team.  There are guys in Providence with more speed and better finish.  B's should buy him out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Third line grinders don't score the most goals or a club in a year or are shoe ins for 20+ goals when they play a whole season.  

Not for nothing, but you should think or research before you write. Paille or Marchand are a 3rd line grinders. Sturm is a goal scorer on a team that needs it.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Not for nothing, but who cares.  Sturm is a 3rd line grinder on this team.  There are guys in Providence with more speed and better finish.  B's should buy him out.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Who in Providence is faster than Sturm?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    [QUOTE]Third line grinders don't score the most goals or a club in a year or are shoe ins for 20+ goals when they play a whole season.   Not for nothing, but you should think or research before you write. Paille or Marchand are a 3rd line grinders. Sturm is a goal scorer on a team that needs it.  
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    Sturm's got two bad knee's on a 32 y.o. body.  I'd bet real money Sauve and Seguin are faster.  And I'll wait till April so Sturm won't completely embarass himself.

He's a 3rd line grinder on this team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471346

http://thrashers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470834

Need anymore research?  He's had only 3 seasons where he scored more than 23 goals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I say Marchand...nothing personal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

If Ryder continues to play, as he did in game 2, he will stay. If he reverts to game 1 slog, he's probably gone. Still beleive it will be a challenge for PC and CJ. This can be a devestating Bruins team, with 4 lines with capable scorers when Sturm returns. Could mean Paille gone; Thornton gone, Wheeler traded plus Hunwick and Ference traded. Caron will stay if he continues to learn and more than hold his own with the puck. CJ may be forced into playing this hard-nosed kid who has good hands unlike Paille and Wheeler.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471346 http://thrashers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470834 Need anymore research?  He's had only 3 seasons where he scored more than 23 goals.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Sturm had 4 seasons of 27 goals or more(03,06,07,08)and also had 4 other seasons above 20 goals.Certainly not just a grinder.

Sections
Shortcuts