Marco Sturm:Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Marco Sturm:Update

In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update : Sturm had 4 seasons of 27 goals or more(03,06,07,08)and also had 4 other seasons above 20 goals.Certainly not just a grinder.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Sturm's not a grinder by any stretch of the imagination. He's a consistent 20+ goal scorer, plays on both the PP and the PK, is a solid defensive forward, and keeps defenses honest with his speed. He's also one of the leaders on this team.

At any rate, buying someone out isn't going to solve the cap problem.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update : Sturm's not a grinder by any stretch of the imagination. He's a consistent 20+ goal scorer, plays on both the PP and the PK, is a solid defensive forward, and keeps defenses honest with his speed. He's also one of the leaders on this team. At any rate, buying someone out isn't going to solve the cap problem.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Bim must have taken some bad acid recently.First Ward is better than Chara and now Sturm is just a grinder.I used to think Bim knew his stuff but now I wonder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

For the record, I said Wardo was as effective at shutting down opponents and a better leader.  I don't think that is a stretch.

Sturm, on this team, is a 3rd line winger in his current version.  And I stand corrected, 4 times he scored 27 or more.  I counted his trade year wrong.  7 times he scored less than 23.  So, giving him the benefit of the doubt and counting all 7 times as 22 goals, that makes him a 23 goals a year player, at best.

Versteeg averaged 21 on a Stanley Cup team in his first 2 years in the NHL.  He also played on the 3rd line.

My point is, you don't put someone on a top line who goes on breakaways as many times as Sturm does and has nothing to show for it.  It's flat-out Wideman syndrome.  Paille I can accept, Sturm's a "goal scorer" who doesn't score on breakaways even at the beginning of shifts!

He's a 3rd liner, at best.  Gawd, I hope he get's bought out or traded.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marco Sturm:Update : Bim must have taken some bad acid recently.First Ward is better than Chara and now Sturm is just a grinder.I used to think Bim knew his stuff but now I wonder.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I gave up wondering a long time ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]For the record, I said Wardo was as effective at shutting down opponents and a better leader.  I don't think that is a stretch. Sturm, on this team, is a 3rd line winger in his current version.  And I stand corrected, 4 times he scored 27 or more.  I counted his trade year wrong.  7 times he scored less than 23.  So, giving him the benefit of the doubt and counting all 7 times as 22 goals, that makes him a 23 goals a year player, at best. Versteeg averaged 21 on a Stanley Cup team in his first 2 years in the NHL.  He also played on the 3rd line. My point is, you don't put someone on a top line who goes on breakaways as many times as Sturm does and has nothing to show for it.  It's flat-out Wideman syndrome.  Paille I can accept, Sturm's a "goal scorer" who doesn't score on breakaways even at the beginning of shifts! He's a 3rd liner, at best.  Gawd, I hope he get's bought out or traded.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Although I would disagree on the Ward comparison to Chara (there is no known stat to claim either way) I would agree Sturm is a third liner until his knee is normal.  Even last year after recovering from knee surgery I found his aggressive play to the net questionable.  Nonetheless a player would have to moved by Bs management by game 30.  My bet is still Glider, yet if he plays like the last game the Bs will have a pleasant choice of who goes to the minors/in a trade.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]Not for nothing, but who cares.  Sturm is a 3rd line grinder on this team.  There are guys in Providence with more speed and better finish.  B's should buy him out.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

A 3rd line grinder? Buy out?

So you want the team that scored the fewest goals last year to move it's leading scorer to the 3rd line or buy out his contract? With this kind of decision making I can only wish that you would be hired by Montreal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    [QUOTE]A 3rd line grinder? Buy out? So you want the team that scored the fewest goals last year to move it's leading scorer to the 3rd line or buy out his contract? With this kind of decision making I can only wish that you would be highered by Montreal.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]
    In case you haven't noticed, this is not the same team as last year.  And saying he's the leading goal scorer on the lowest scoring team in the league isn't really saying much.

They were nuts for trading Halak.  I wouldn't have done that.  So you probably wouldnt want me making personel decisions for the Habs.  And it's 'hired'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Starting in 97/98, Sturms numbers look like this for goals/assists:

10/20
    16/22
    12/15
    14/18
    21/20
    28/20
    21/20
    2004/'05 Lockout 22/16 in 45 games
    29/30 (trade year)
    27/17
    27/29
    7/6 (19 games on pace for 20+)
    22/15
    So that 7 NHL seasons with 20+ goals in 12 seasons, 6 consecutive seasons.

Sturm is INCREDIBLY underrated on this board.  Not sure why, the guy is unreal fast (which he uses to backcheck well) and is a wicked sniper.  Sturm can replace many guys on the current team when he is 100%.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to[QUOTE] is a wicked sniper.  Sturm can replace many guys on the current team when he is 100%.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    No offense vig, but you can't be serious.  There are guys in Juniors with better finish.

It has been mentioned before on these boards about players that rely on speed to play in the NHL.  Once it's gone there's not much there.  I believe Sturm is one of those players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

For the amount of scoring chances Sturm gets he should be a consistant 35 - 40 goal scorer. He fails to finish too many times. His lack of finish is what this team was full of last year. He is overpaid big time and his age and injuries are catching up. That smile he has after blowing a break away chance makes me sick to my stomach. Leader? PLEASE.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No offense vig, but you can't be serious.  There are guys in Juniors with better finish. It has been mentioned before on these boards about players that rely on speed to play in the NHL.  Once it's gone there's not much there.  I believe Sturm is one of those players.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

12 NHL seasons, 7 over 20 goals, 6 in a row and that would have been 8 if he hadnt of been injured in 2008/09.  How many other guys do the Bruins have with that many 20+ goal seasons?  The only guy they have right now who is as consistent a goal scorer is Nathan Horton.  If, and it is a big if, Sturm can fully recover from the injury, he is arguably one of the top 2 most consistant goal scorers the Bruins have.  He is very smart on the backcheck, has/HAD great speed (his speed is/was severely underrated) and is a veteran leader at only 32 years old, which he just turned in September.  Hard to find other guys like that.  I am worried about the knee injuries, yes, but Im not about to write off the most consistant goal scorer the Bruins have had in many years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Since it hasn't been mentioned - the buyout window is in the summer.  He' can't be bought out anymore (and I don't think could be bought out then because he was injured - see Glen Murry).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

It makes good sense to be worried about Marco's return to form, I know I am. Ill admit that when he scored the Game Winner agains the Hab's in the playoffs a few years ago a part of me went to heaven, but that Sturm seems to be gone.

He's had 2(maybe 3) replacement ACL's correct? He's also 32 and mostly relies on his speed; recovering from one Blown ACL is a real detriment to any players speed and I dont know how the B's can rely on his 2 plastic knees to hold out for a whole season or the playoffs.

I really hope he could come back to form and become the 27goal scorer that this team needs, but I feel its more than likely he's going to become a "oft injured vet beyond his glory days".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Adding Sturm and Savvy make this team a serious contender.  However, packaging some bits and going for a defensive upgrade might solve a few concerns.  In fact, Bodnarchuck (Prov) is projected as a #4 defenseman...might enable the team to balance the books, if he steps up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Sturm will be on the team when he returns, he's a solid veteran player in all zones....and yes, he is the leading goal scorer on this team like it or not.

My opinion; trade Paille for a draft pick to a team needing PK help & a fourth line plugger....Ryder remains on roster if Savard remains out, if not off to Providence!

With Savard:
    Wheeler-Savard-Sturm
    Looch-Krejci-Horton
    Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin
    Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton
    Caron extra forward or to Providence

W/out Savard:
    Looch-Krejci-Horton
    Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin
    Caron-Wheeler-Sturm
    Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

SORRY screwed up last post:
    Meant to incldue Ryder w/ the "W/out Savard" lines as...
    Sturm-Wheeler-Ryder (Caron extra forward)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]Sturm will be on the team when he returns, he's a solid veteran player in all zones....and yes, he is the leading goal scorer on this team like it or not. My opinion; trade Paille for a draft pick to a team needing PK help & a fourth line plugger....Ryder remains on roster if Savard remains out, if not off to Providence! With Savard: Wheeler-Savard-Sturm Looch-Krejci-Horton Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton Caron extra forward or to Providence W/out Savard: Looch-Krejci-Horton Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin Caron-Wheeler-Sturm Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]
    Sturm is a left wing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marco Sturm is a quality hockey player.  He can score and is great defensively.  His contract is actually lower than others who do less.

All of this dung about his health and his age is simply worthless banter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]Sturm will be on the team when he returns, he's a solid veteran player in all zones....and yes, he is the leading goal scorer on this team like it or not. My opinion; trade Paille for a draft pick to a team needing PK help & a fourth line plugger....Ryder remains on roster if Savard remains out, if not off to Providence! With Savard: Wheeler-Savard-Sturm Looch-Krejci-Horton Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton Caron extra forward or to Providence W/out Savard: Looch-Krejci-Horton Recchi-Bergeron-Seguin Caron-Wheeler-Sturm Marchand-Campbell-Thornton/McGratton
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]

Yep- i have to agree with your lineup with Sturm and Savvy both on the roster.  There is no way that Ryder stays on this club.  His $$ hit is high and he brings very little to team.  He takes a year to get his shots off and his hands are very poor.  I'm not in love with Sturm but he brings more to the team when healthy.  i'll also take Sturm with 2 bad knees over Ryder...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

The possibilities of who stays...who goes....will Savard get healthy or Sturms knees allow his speed to return...who stays healthy or who goes down...all completely unknown.....but if I was one of the players obviously on the bubble I think I would be bustin my butt to change gears and get myself off that list...Im sure as players they all know whats what...going to be very interesting who accomplishes that...the last game we saw a totally different Ryder and I think he is one who is going to open some eyes...whatever Ryder Marchand Caron Thornton Wheeler and Paille each have in their bag of tricks they better give it their best cuz someones losing their spot....sooner or later!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

As much as I want to Sauve up with the bug club sooner rather than later because he is faster than Sturm at this stage of their careers you can't throw Sauve on the PK because he just does not have the main ingredient that Marco can offer experience.

Sturm will be a pleasant welcomed addition when he comes back. Even at 70 % Marco is faster than any current Bruin. Sturm needs to play well to get a league minimum NHL veteran contract for next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    [QUOTE]Sturm will be a pleasant welcomed addition when he comes back. SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    No he won't.
    [QUOTE]Even at 70 % Marco is faster than any current Bruin. Sturm needs to play well to get a league minimum NHL veteran contract for next year.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think he's done.  To much Wideman to his game.  Paille can kill penalties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No he won't. I think he's done.  To much Wideman to his game.  Paille can kill penalties.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    So can Marco.The only difference is that Marco will possibly score shorthanded.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Show me the video.