Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins.

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins.:
    In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : Yeah, Recchi sure came through in the playoffs. Posted by Not-A-Shot

OK Smart guy. How about that "youth" Wheeler and Sabotka brought? How did they contribute?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : OK Smart guy. How about that "youth" Wheeler and Sabotka brought? How did they contribute?
    Posted by bridgemanusa

That's not the subject.  The subject is Recchi and his wonderous veteran powers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Recchi checking line again with Berg and hits 15-18 goals, 30-35 assists with a scoring winger not Pail.

Good line to start #10 Saygen with, he learns checking role, gets valuable experience with Recchi a la Stamkos and plays with player that has a work ethic for him to learn by in Berg and who is also a great playmaker (85 breakaway passes to Pail last year) and will play lots of mins in Cj's system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : That's not the subject.  The subject is Recchi and his wonderous veteran powers.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So the fact that Recchi out-performed most of the "youth and speed" on this team is not the issue?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctbruins. Show ctbruins's posts

I like Recchi as much as the next guy, but I hate when I see people make the point that 15-20 goal scorers are important. Heck, the Bruins have cornered the market on 15-20 goal scorers for the past three decades. We need an infusion of talent to win a Cup. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : PJ Axelsson, Aaron Ward, Manny Fernandez, Stephane Yelle may disagree.
    Posted by GillesGilbert

QFT

And comparing Recchi, a guy that has gotten 700+ goals and 21 last season, to the average aging vet is just a false comparison

Recchi has plenty of intangibles, the least of which is leadership. He called out the Bruins plenty of times last season when they were half-assing it. I haven't seen anyone do that in Boston in years. People have said "the bruins blew a 3-0 lead, therefore their leaders aren't a leader" it's another false argument. It takes a full team effort to blow a 3-0 lead, it takes a goalie that isn't standing on his head anymore and losing two of your best offensive players to injury while your opponent gains two of their best offensive players back from injury. 

I see Recchi posting up in front of Chara slapshots trying for tips more than any other bruin. He goes into the areas of the ice that other players won't. He stood up to Pronger while the rest of our wingers shy'd away from the corners. It was unreal to see how many cross-checks to the back Recchi endured that series in front of the net. How about his amazing hit in the race to the puck in the corners in the Sabres series?

Man some people are fickle, one minute they love a guy, next minute they hate him. 

Recchi can't carry a team anymore, in fact, he never really did. But he's a piece of the puzzle and I'm happy to have him back. And you know what we are paying him??? 1 MILLION DOLLARS! are you kidding? you know what ridiculous produciton that is? I certainly think he has good chemistry with bergeron, and that line could really improve with another savvy winger.

The same people that will tell you to get rid of Recchi are the same people that whine and moan about the salary cap. we are up against. Good luck finding another Recchi out there GOOD LUCK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : So the fact that Recchi out-performed most of the "youth and speed" on this team is not the issue?
    Posted by bridgemanusa

Krejci and Bergeron are both young and have some speed.  Didn't outperform them.

You're confusing your own point.  You've stated that many of us "fools" underestimate the value of his presence.  What has it done for the Bruins?  Two second round exits...in a row...with him on the team.  Those loses are in no way his fault, and I'm not blaming him, but if he's such a great leader and wonderful influence, wouldn't something have been a little different?

Mr. Veteran Leadership.  What good did it do when they slept through the majority of the season?  Where was his influence during the 10 game losing streak?  What impact did he have while they were losing game after game to Philly in Round 2?  Where was his influence at all last year?  Or any time as a Bruin?

(If he's such a valuable leader and wonderful mentor to the younger players, it's a bit contradictory to bash the younger players for poor performances.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

If Recchi resigns there is no way Wheeler can be brought back if PC has hopes to insert Seguin/Hall into the lineup next year. Nobody in boston wants to wait for them to dress (though they need to earn it also)

I think its better to resign Recchi after figuring out who will draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

EXCELLENT !

We need Recchi's kind of leadership on the Bruins to mentor our youth movement, and motivate this heartless bunch that Chiapet is trying to assemble.  

Regardless of how ancient this fossilized Marcosaurus Rex is, we need more players like him that actually register a pulse game in and game out.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I love Recchi on the powerplay.   Not so much even strength.  Recchi getting mostly powerplay time and splitting time with someone else even strength sounds ideal to me.  Surely Campbell or someone else could handle 4th line wing with a few additional shifts on the 3rd line wing a period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

EXCELLENT ! We need Recchi's kind of leadership on the Bruins to mentor our youth movement, and motivate this heartless bunch that Chiapet is trying to assemble.   Regardless of how ancient this fossilized Marcosaurus Rex is, we need more players like him that actually register a pulse game in and game out.  
    Posted by RMiller87

How did that wiley veteran do last season with the youth movement and the pulse? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : How did that wiley veteran do last season with the youth movement and the pulse? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not too shabby, thanks !

I'd happily give Rex another $1 Million contract this season if he simply calls out all of those Black and Gold nare do wells like Ryder and Horton, and shakes them up a bit.

Best money that the Bruins will likely spend this off season !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : Not too shabby, thanks ! I'd happily give Rex another $1 Million contract this season if he simply calls out all of those Black and Gold nare do wells like Ryder and Horton, and shakes them up a bit. Best money that the Bruins will likely spend this off season !
    Posted by RMiller87

I didn't see Ryder performing well last season with Mr. Veteran Motivator in the locker room last season.  I don't know why this season would be different.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : Krejci and Bergeron are both young and have some speed.  Didn't outperform them. You're confusing your own point.  You've stated that many of us "fools" underestimate the value of his presence.  What has it done for the Bruins?  Two second round exits...in a row...with him on the team.  Those loses are in no way his fault, and I'm not blaming him, but if he's such a great leader and wonderful influence, wouldn't something have been a little different? Mr. Veteran Leadership.  What good did it do when they slept through the majority of the season?  Where was his influence during the 10 game losing streak?  What impact did he have while they were losing game after game to Philly in Round 2?  Where was his influence at all last year?  Or any time as a Bruin? (If he's such a valuable leader and wonderful mentor to the younger players, it's a bit contradictory to bash the younger players for poor performances.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

To be honest nos, you're confusing your own point too.   You say you don't blame Recchi for the teams woes over the last couple of years, then your next line says "if he's such a great leader, and wonderful influence, wouldn't something have been a little different?" 
    That's blaming him.
    I don't understand why you think bringing Recchi back is such a ridiculous, terrible, idiotic, irrational, insane, option.
    Nobody is suggesting he's the second coming, some kind of cure all, or someone with "wondrous' powers.  Many just buy into the leadership thing(which came from the players and management, not us), and also believe around 1 mil, for a guy who will probably score 15-23, is money well spent.
    Forget about age, just consider net performance.  I'm with you.  If there's a 23 year old out there, that will work the dirty area's, bring the intangibles that the "organization", has deemed important, score 20, and sign for a million......then forget Recchi.
    I think that's fairly difficult to do, and believe Recchi and his agent would agree with me.  Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if there aren't a half dozen teams out there, who will gladly pony up a pretty hefty raise over last year, and they're all contenders.(a significant raise would put him in the 1.3-1.5 range, which is roster pocket change).  Unless he's totally, absolutely thrilled with this organization, I'd be surprised to see him back.  I think Recchi's gonna have some interesting options, to close out his career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : To be honest nos, you're confusing your own point too.   You say you don't blame Recchi for the teams woes over the last couple of years, then your next line says "if he's such a great leader, and wonderful influence, wouldn't something have been a little different?"  That's blaming him. I don't understand why you think bringing Recchi back is such a ridiculous, terrible, idiotic, irrational, insane, option. Nobody is suggesting he's the second coming, some kind of cure all, or someone with "wondrous' powers.  Many just buy into the leadership thing(which came from the players and management, not us), and also believe around 1 mil, for a guy who will probably score 15-23, is money well spent. Forget about age, just consider net performance.  I'm with you.  If there's a 23 year old out there, that will work the dirty area's, bring the intangibles that the "organization", has deemed important, score 20, and sign for a million......then forget Recchi. I think that's fairly difficult to do, and believe Recchi and his agent would agree with me.  Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if there aren't a half dozen teams out there, who will gladly pony up a pretty hefty raise over last year, and they're all contenders.(a significant raise would put him in the 1.3-1.5 range, which is roster pocket change).  Unless he's totally, absolutely thrilled with this organization, I'd be surprised to see him back.  I think Recchi's gonna have some interesting options, to close out his career.
    Posted by stevegm

I'm not confusing my own point.  I don't blame Recchi for the team's woes because I don't buy into the whole "his aura makes the team better" theory.  For those that continue to hang their hat on that theory, I ask where this so called veteran motivational factor was last season while they slept through the majority of the season.

Here's my biggest problem with returning Recchi:  The team doesn't get better, and it doesn't even have a chance to get better. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Umm, if Mark Recchi is on your 4th line, you'll have the best 4th line in hockey.  He's also a force on the PP down low. Absolutely resign him for all the intangibles as well.
    Posted by russgriswold

Umm, he's not.  He's a third line player in Boston. 

He had eight goals and five assists while putting in the most PP minutes for any forward on the team last season.  Is that the force you're talking about?  Umm that doesn't seem very good to me.  Umm, are you sure we're talking about the same player?  Umm, we're talking about Mark Recchi on the Boston Bruins.  Umm, is that the same person you're talking about?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyo77. Show guyo77's posts

As much as he played "well" in the playoffs, he had fairly pedestrian stats in the regular season and being a year older doesnt help him. 

I would not resign him.  I would much rather see some youth brought into the line-up (Caron?) as opposed to having Recchi take up a spot. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

As much as he played "well" in the playoffs, he had fairly pedestrian stats in the regular season and being a year older doesnt help him.  I would not resign him.  I would much rather see some youth brought into the line-up (Caron?) as opposed to having Recchi take up a spot. 
    Posted by guyo77

Actually his regular season stats were "outstanding" for a player with a cap hit of 1 mil. 
    Remember, this is a pretty young team already(Bergeron, Lucic, Krejki, Hall/Seguin, Sobotka, Hunwick etc.)
    Agree you don't just sign someone for leadership qualities, and also agree that the young guys need opportunity.  Just feel that 1milish is money well spent.  Make those young guys earn their spot....force them to be better, and if that happens reduce Recchi's minutes.
    I just don't see the downside if it's a one year, for comparable money.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : Actually his regular season stats were "outstanding" for a player with a cap hit of 1 mil.  Remember, this is a pretty young team already(Bergeron, Lucic, Krejki, Hall/Seguin, Sobotka, Hunwick etc.) Agree you don't just sign someone for leadership qualities, and also agree that the young guys need opportunity.  Just feel that 1milish is money well spent.  Make those young guys earn their spot....force them to be better, and if that happens reduce Recchi's minutes. I just don't see the downside if it's a one year, for comparable money.  
    Posted by stevegm

this^^^^

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Have any of you heard the comments Stamkos made about Recchi?  You know, the ones saying that Recchi is a great guy and was a great mentor for him in his first year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Have any of you heard the comments Stamkos made about Recchi?  You know, the ones saying that Recchi is a great guy and was a great mentor for him in his first year.
    Posted by beantowngm15

It's a nice story, and the ultimate fallback for people who want to bring Recchi back.  Stamkos is filled to the brim with skill.

How did Mr. Mentor do with any of the young guys presently on the B's?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : I'm not confusing my own point.  I don't blame Recchi for the team's woes because I don't buy into the whole "his aura makes the team better" theory.  For those that continue to hang their hat on that theory, I ask where this so called veteran motivational factor was last season while they slept through the majority of the season. Here's my biggest problem with returning Recchi:  The team doesn't get better, and it doesn't even have a chance to get better. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Can't disagree that maybe some put too much emphsis on his "aura", but that's never been my point.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that Recchi made the team better last year.  He scored 18, had a decent playoff, and did that earning NHL lunch money.  Looking back, I fail to see where the organizations youth could have remotely matched that, and I don't see where the team could have invested 1 mil any more wisely.  He's probably the only Bruin that even came close to matching expectation, and it's only fair to base his contribution on his salary.
    I'm of the opinion that he can closely replicate his overall 09/10 contribution.  If he can't.....that's a whole different story.  I'd like to see him back, but only at a comparable salary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Looking back, I fail to see where the organizations youth could have remotely matched that, and I don't see where the team could have invested 1 mil any more wisely.
    Posted by stevegm

Bingo.  If this guy didn't have an ounce of leadership, he would've still been one of the most cost effective players on the B's last year, surpassed IMHO by only Rask.  I don't see the need to turn him away if he wants to come back at a similar price.

For those who believe he's clogging the road for the youngsters.  You don't develop youngster's by handing them roster spots you develop them by making them compete to earn opportunities.  There will be opportunities next year with or without Recchi on this team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

This conversation is really dedgrading into a slap-fest. It isn't that complicated, listen to the players, they all rave about Recchi. Listen to the coaches and ex-players..they love him too. It's really the end of the story about his leadership, yet some fans think they are more objective than the players and coaches that are actually in the damn locker-room. How are any of you quantifying leadership? Wins and losses? C's and A's on jerseys? It is much more complicated than that. The reality is that the only people who really know who's a leader and who isn't are the people on the team. I choose to listen to them. 

People were quick to call him an amazing leader when he bowled over Tyler Myers and fed bergeron in front against buffallo, then they just point the finger at him for not carrying the team in the philly series. I posted this early and people just ignored me. He was the only player willing to battle with Pronger in front and in the corners. the ONLY bruin.

That, including the whopping 1 million we pay the guy, and the solid production he puts up for that whopping 1 million, should end the conversation right there.

Recchi is a great signing, extremely economical for a team with cap issues and lacking on the wing. I hope he comes back.

Is he Mark Messier? No. But he's a solid character guy who still has something left.

This is the epitome of nit-picking, and scapegoating a guy for all-out team collapse in the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Recchi says he's close to a deal with Bruins. : I'm not confusing my own point.  I don't blame Recchi for the team's woes because I don't buy into the whole "his aura makes the team better" theory.  For those that continue to hang their hat on that theory, I ask where this so called veteran motivational factor was last season while they slept through the majority of the season. Here's my biggest problem with returning Recchi:  The team doesn't get better, and it doesn't even have a chance to get better. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I can't fully agree. As far as the price goes, let's say he scores 15 goals, we should be so lucky to get 15 goals for every mil the Bruins will spend on forwards this year. And to be productive (even semi-productive) into your 40s means that you are working hard to stay in shape and be hockey-ready. I think that exhibition of work ethic cannot be a negative factor in the development of young players that are on the roster.