Matt Cooke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Matt Cooke

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/20100923gm_marc_savards_not_done_report_irks_peter_chiarelli/

What does it take to remove Matt Cooke, a repeat offender, and anyone like him from the game?

The most anticipated start-of-the-season in years is approaching and our once solid strength down the middle is suddenly in jeopardy, with Julien possibly using Wheeler at center on the third line.  Is Krejci, recovering from a dislocated wrist, our number one - I'm not opposed to that but is he really ready - healthy?

Matt Cooke.

Lots of discussions here about likes and dislikes regarding McGrattan, Orr, Boogaard, whomever, and whatever.

But ... what does it take to remove Matt Cooke and those like him from the game?

Colin Campbell clearly doesn't know how to.

It would be an absolute shame if Savard misses this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Matt Cooke

Is pounding Matt Cooke into the ice going to make Savard better?

Seriously, what do you want to happen? Evander Kane knocked him out. Will that stop him? I doubt it.

the NHL has a rule now that penalizes head shots. Hopefully it does its job, so there will be no more injuries like what happened to David Booth and Savard. I don't know what else you can do, frankly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Players need to keep their head and elbows up...I think Grapes is dead on when he says we should use old style gear.  Those elbow/shoulder pads are like weapons. 
    Cooke can play the game as well as be a pest and crosses the line almost all the time.  Richards hit in my eyes was legal.  Shoulder meet head...is Scott Stevens in the same sentence?  His hits were 10 times worse and he did them on a regular basis. 
    Know who's on the ice, stop admiring your pass and keep those elbows high.  Gordie Howe and Messier were the best at the Elbows up strategy.

As Duinne stated the league has made a rule.  Hopefully it works.  Long overdue but I still think it will happen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Cooke:
    [QUOTE]Players need to keep their head and elbows up...I think Grapes is dead on when he says we should use old style gear.  Those elbow/shoulder pads are like weapons.  Cooke can play the game as well as be a pest and crosses the line almost all the time.  Richards hit in my eyes was legal.  Shoulder meet head...is Scott Stevens in the same sentence?  His hits were 10 times worse and he did them on a regular basis.  Know who's on the ice, stop admiring your pass and keep those elbows high.  Gordie Howe and Messier were the best at the Elbows up strategy. As Duinne stated the league has made a rule.  Hopefully it works.  Long overdue but I still think it will happen. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Keeping your head up is all very well, but Cooke's hit came from the blind side. Savard has great peripheral vision, but he would have had to have eyes in the back of his head to have seen that hit coming.

Frankly, I find the "keep your head up" mantra disturbing because it smacks of blaming the victim and excusing the perpetrator. Even if a guy does have his head down, that doesn't give anyone license to target his head. You can just as easily smack him in the chest or shoulder and knock him down (as Boychuck did vs. Ellis in the series with the Sabres). Deliberately aiming for the head (as Richards did against Booth) is totally unnessesary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Players need to keep their head and elbows up...I think Grapes is dead on when he says we should use old style gear.  Those elbow/shoulder pads are like weapons.  Cooke can play the game as well as be a pest and crosses the line almost all the time.  Richards hit in my eyes was legal.  Shoulder meet head...is Scott Stevens in the same sentence?  His hits were 10 times worse and he did them on a regular basis.  Know who's on the ice, stop admiring your pass and keep those elbows high.  Gordie Howe and Messier were the best at the Elbows up strategy. As Duinne stated the league has made a rule.  Hopefully it works.  Long overdue but I still think it will happen. 

I hope the rule works - truly.  I read the article on Savard and despite what Chiarelli says, I don't think it looks or sounds good at all.  I'm pissed.  I was looking forward to a season with Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, and Campbell down the middle, allowing Seguin to play the wing with a strong supporting cast.  I hate Matt Cooke.  I reacted to the story and just asked what does it take to take vicious players like Cooke out, permanently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I find these vigilante comments about taking a player out "permanently" from a fan base who had hockey's most annoying pest, Ken Lineman, on their team for years a tad hypocritical.

If Cooke was a Bruin, you would likely be singing his praises.

I also don't particularly like the guy, but what's done is done.

Get over it !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVOisOIKvk

Move the video up to 3 Minutes so you don't have to watch the hit again. Colin Campbell refuses to recognize that Cooke trys to hurt players repeatedly but will do nothing to stop it. This starts with Bettman that defended the hit as well. Ray Shero is another piece of dirt for resigning the loser.

Avery does his I'll stand in front of Broduer antic Bettman changes the rule the same day. Avery mouths off about his ex-girlfriend he is immediately sent off to anger management. Cooke runs around kneeing players (shown above) n trys to take their heads off Bettman does nothing because he looked at from an attorneys view still a joke

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]I find these vigilante comments about taking a player out "permanently" from a fan base who had hockey's most annoying pest, Ken Lineman, on their team for years a tad hypocritical. If Cooke was a Bruin, you would likely be singing his praises. I also don't particularly like the guy, but what's done is done. Get over it !
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

I take serious exception and don't tell me to get over it, you pompous dimwit.  Ken Linseman (check your spelling, dimwit) was never a Matt Cooke shot-to-the-head-from-behind player.  The Bruins number one center is perhaps lost for an entire season because of your hero - so go and give a high-five to Matt Cooke, turn your other cheek, and head back to Toronto.  Dimwit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Where exactly did I say that Cooke was my "hero?"

Oh, that's right -- I didn't actually say that...

But your boyfriend, "The Rat," was as dirty a cheap shot artist as I have seen play this game...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke : I take serious exception and don't tell me to get over it, you pompous dimwit.  Ken Linseman (check your spelling, dimwit) was never a Matt Cooke shot-to-the-head-from-behind player.  The Bruins number one center is perhaps lost for an entire season because of your hero - so go and give a high-five to Matt Cooke, turn your other cheek, and head back to Toronto.  Dimwit. 
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

The Bruins' number one center is Bergeron.

Marc Savard is a yappy, little punk who is well past his prime.

I cannot stand that guy !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Where exactly did I say that Cooke was my "hero?" Oh, that's right -- I didn't actually say that... But your boyfriend, "The Rat," was as dirty a cheap shot artist as I have seen play this game...

Read between the lines, dimwit - your words support the actions of Matt Cooke ... because I should "get over it".  Linseman (did you check your spellling, dimwit) dirtier than Ulf Samuelsson or Dale Hunter, I don't think so.

I stand by my statement - Colin Campbell (he won't) should remove the Matt Cookes from the league and if he doesn't (he won't) somebody else should. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke : The Bruins' number one center is Bergeron. Marc Savard is a yappy, little punk who is well past his prime. I cannot stand that guy !

Because you can't stand the guy, his loss of a year from the cheapest shot is OK?  You're an idiot.  Report me for insubordination to Colin Campbell, he won't do anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

No, my words indicate that what Mat Cooke did was in the past, and there is no further need to dwell on this incident.

Besides if the Bruins had had an enforcer worth his salt playing in that infamous game, the guy would have taken Cooke to task and no one would be calling for vigilante justice here.

Besides Savard being on LTIR may just end up helping the Bruins deal with their current cap crunch. 

BTW I am a Habs' fan -- not a Leafs' fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]No, my words indicate that what Mat Cooke did was in the past, and there is no further need to dwell on this incident. Besides if the Bruins had had an enforcer worth his salt playing in that infamous game, the guy would have taken Cooke to task and no one would be calling for vigilante justice here. Besides Savard being on LTIR may just end up helping the Bruins deal with their current cap crunch.  BTW I am a Habs' fan -- not a Leafs' fan.

Habs fan, Leafs fan, whatever.  Why are you here?  Oh, my mistake, you've nothing else to do, faced with the prospects of your two failing teams.  

A brutal headshot to help deal with a cap crunch?  Dimwit.  Get lost.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Why ?

Because I like to talk hockey, and watch what the opponent are up to.

Seriously, I find the whole Savard incident perplexing.

He played in the playoffs after the Cooke hit, but now, he has post-concussion syndrome months later ?

What's with that ?

Are you sure that PC isn't just using the excuse of Savard's LTIR as an excuse to open up space to deal with the Bruins' current cap crunch or did the Bruins' medical staff send the guy back to the ice too early last season ?

Just wondering ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Dr. Miller, I don't know where you went to medical school, but I will just make a brief comment. Don't even think for a minute that you have the slightest clue regarding the complexities of the human organism and the brain.
    I have been in the medical field for over 30 years and I am amazed on a daily basis at the tremendous strength, yet fragile line each of us lives between... what you can count on is that nothing is exactly predictable...so don't make comments which allude to the fact that Savard is somehow faking it...I am personally disgusted by your comments...you are rediculous!
    Response to Re: Matt Cooke:
    [QUOTE]Why ? Because I like to talk hockey, and watch what the opponent are up to. Seriously, I find the whole Savard incident perplexing. He played in the playoffs after the Cooke hit, but now, he has post-concussion syndrome months later ? What's with that ? Are you sure that PC isn't just using the excuse of Savard's LTIR as an excuse to open up space to deal with the Bruins' current cap crunch or did the Bruins' medical staff send the guy back to the ice too early last season ? Just wondering ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Duinne,

It's hockey!   Keep your head up and know who's on the ice.  I am not sure if you have played hockey but it's a war out there similar to football.  There are guys who have jobs for running around and hitting people.  I am not placing blame on the victims.  If you have your head down you shouldn't be playing on the NHL...if you have your head down and someone tags you that's part of the game....stop with the victim/accused stuff...it's a contact sport...I hate when people try and take the physical element out of the game.  Again, Scott Stevens made a living by targeting people with their head down....he is in the HOF.  Injuries happen in hockey. Had Lucic hammered Crosby everyone would be saying what a great hit it was. 

But they have to know who is on the ice.  Sometimes you learn the lesson the hard way.  Bet he would know Cooke was on the ice now.  Do you not agree?  I have had my bell rung playing hockey...sometimes there is nothing you can do...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Duinne, It's hockey!   Keep your head up and know who's on the ice.  I am not sure if you have played hockey but it's a war out there similar to football.  There are guys who have jobs for running around and hitting people.  I am not placing blame on the victims.  If you have your head down you shouldn't be playing on the NHL...if you have your head down and someone tags you that's part of the game....stop with the victim/accused stuff...it's a contact sport...I hate when people try and take the physical element out of the game.  Again, Scott Stevens made a living by targeting people with their head down....he is in the HOF.  Injuries happen in hockey. Had Lucic hammered Crosby everyone would be saying what a great hit it was.  But they have to know who is on the ice.  Sometimes you learn the lesson the hard way.  Bet he would know Cooke was on the ice now.  Do you not agree?  I have had my bell rung playing hockey...sometimes there is nothing you can do...

This thread has nothing to do with Scott Stevens.  Stevens made a HOF career of hitting players coming through the neutral zone TOWARDS him - that physical contact makes hockey what it is and it certainly belongs in the game.  Cooke makes a living tagging players in the head from behind or any other cowardly vantage point he can gain.  He's disgusting, as are players like him, and so are any and all comments that support his play in any way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Where exactly did I say that Cooke was my "hero?" Oh, that's right -- I didn't actually say that... But your boyfriend, "The Rat," was as dirty a cheap shot artist as I have seen play this game...

You're off base on Linseman. He was dirty in the sense that you'd get a cup-check, face wash, quick elbow to the gut and that sort of thing, especially when the ref wasn't looking (remember there was just one ref back then) but never head hunted or did the things that Cooke does. Linseman was a sneaky rat and an annoying pest. Cooke is a cheap shot coward. No camparison.

You're a scabs fan? That would explain your double digit IQ! lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Matt Cooke:
    [QUOTE]http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/20100923gm_marc_savards_not_done_report_irks_peter_chiarelli/ What does it take to remove Matt Cooke, a repeat offender, and anyone like him from the game?   The most anticipated start-of-the-season in years is approaching and our once solid strength down the middle is suddenly in jeopardy, with Julien possibly using Wheeler at center on the third line.  Is Krejci, recovering from a dislocated wrist, our number one - I'm not opposed to that but is he really ready - healthy? Matt Cooke.   Lots of discussions here about likes and dislikes regarding McGrattan, Orr, Boogaard, whomever, and whatever. But ... what does it take to remove Matt Cooke and those like him from the game? Colin Campbell clearly doesn't know how to. It would be an absolute shame if Savard misses this season.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

His son will do it this season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

hus,

go watch some of scott stevens hits.  the one of lindros and others.  Sure they are solid open ice hits but he was targeting the head.  Which was the only point I was trying to make.  Stevens targeted these types of plays and made a career of ending careers.  Kariya...you tell me that hit is any different.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8up-tkxZ4r8&feature=related

Cooke is a dirty rat who crosses the line.  He doesn't respect the other players and has always played this way. 
    I think the players need to be more accountable for their actions.  They have lost respect for their fellow players...the game is faster, the players bigger/stronger and more of these types of inuries are gonna happen, especially with the equipment they wear...shoulder pads used to be like peanut shells.  Now they are hard plastic. 
    Their are always going to be players like Matt Cooke/Tootoo/BoogieMan etc etc. As long as it is a contact game it will always have that element. 

My only point about the players getting hit is that they should know who is on the ice at all times.  I can promise you Savy would know the next time.  I am not trying to place blame on them.  But at the same time I am.  Its a contact sport...KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

I agree that the league needs to focus more on cheap shot artists(Cooke, Ott etcc..) than the trouble makers like avery. Although that time avery tripped thomas during comercial break was ludicrous and he should have been suspended I digress.

Cheap shot artists do not grow the game in anyway when people, non hockey people, see those hits it turns them off the game for good. They see those hits and they see fights that is all they know and it turns away alot of fans.( I do love fights though that is a core part of hockey mainly to counteract the cheapshot artists)

Secondly the NHL seems to defend marquee franchises such as the Penguins to a different level than a team such as the bruins. Lucic throws that hit on Crosby I smell suspension similar at least to the one ovechkin got last year.

So it is in the past and the rule has changed, sure the bruins got the short end of the shaft badly. But look ahead with Seguin Caron and Krejci Bergy entering there primes its not like the Bruins are the Larffs or the Oilers this is a team to take seriously for the next 5 or so years as is and I think one way or another stanley will be in boston soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

[QUOTE]The difference I see between Stevens and Cooke's hits, is Stevens keeps the elbow tucked and leads with the shoulder, and he's nailing the actual puck carrier, in many cases (Lindros, Kariya, etc.) they have their heads down looking at the puck on their stick. In Cooke's case, Savard had actually released the shot, he's in a vulnerable position having just fired the puck, Cooke does not use his shoulder but uses his elbow and continues to skate towards Savard to make the hit knowing Savard's vulnerable after releasing his shot.  This is not "finishing your check" it's "going for the head." Dirty, unethical and unnecesary to the sport of hockey.
    Posted by Guy-Fawkes[/QUOTE]

^This

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Matt Cooke is a dirt-bag, but the issue around head shots goes beyond Matt Cooke.

1. Equipment that hockey players use is ridiculously dangerous. The elbow and shoulder pads are like armour.  You get hit with either; you’re in la-la land.  When you hear a player or the league mention a hit is legal because it was the shoulder instead of the elbow, you almost have to laugh.  What is the difference in the end if it makes contact with your head?  The damage can actually be worse with the shoulder.  Hitting someone with the elbow ‘looks’ more dirty but a head shot is a head shot.  Steven’s hits were almost always clean according to the rules because he used his shoulder, but when he made contact with someone’s head i.e. Lindros, you saw the results.
    2. The 2nd complication is the discrepancy in size amongst the players.  If someone like Chara hits a player in the open ice, it will almost always be a head shot because of Chara’s size.  The elbow or the shoulder is going to make contact with the opponent’s head, even on the cleanest of hits.  I don’t see how you can avoid it.  Similiarly, if you’re on the short side, you going to get hit by the elbow or shoulder almost every time when there’s contact simply because the bigger player making the hit braces himself.
    3. If you’re going to cut across the middle of the rink you better have your head up or you will get clobbered.  It doesn’t condone what Matt Cooke did, but whether it’s a second or two after you make that pass, you still have to be careful or you take your life in your hands. 

It’s a lot more complicated that it would appear to us average fans and that’s why it’s tough to put rules in place to completely remove it from the game. The combination of the speed in the game and the equipment is what makes it very dangerous.

You want to keep the open ice hitting in the game, it’s part of what makes it exciting and I’m glad they are vigilant around the hits from behind (especially near the boards) which is the sickest kind of hitting in hockey, in my opinion.

For me, I think you have to address the equipment issue as the primary reason for these head injuries.  As far as getting bums like Cooke out of the league, good luck.  The NHL has always had them.  I would remove the instigator rule and allow justice to be served on those players that take cheap shots, but as long as teams are willing to put these guys in the lineup, they'll be there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Guy,

Kariya didnt have the puck...Stevens saw him coming a mile away and was going after the head with the shoulder on most his hits.  He also has a little leap thing he does for balance. 

Look...I don't like Cooke at all.  I actually loved Stevens growing up.  Back in the day I was a Caps fan and thought Stevens was the best thing since sliced bread.   But Stevens hits are no different.  He was a beast and went looking for this.  If Kariya/Francis/Lindros didn't know that they sure do now.  How can't you know that he is on the ice. 

Erg, excellent post about the gear....its not nec to wear armour out there.  Make the elbow pads softer as well as the shoulder pads. 

Cooke shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Stevens but the fact is that the hits are very similar...the people he hit weren't excepting it, most times he targeted them from a mile away....no difference...he knew what he wanted to do.  And frankly that's hockey.  I don't like what Cooke did...and I will miss watching Savy, it's a physical game and players get hurt...I mean how wll Chara not hit someone with his shoulder.  The man is 8 feet tall..nature of the beast... 

Sections
Shortcuts