Matt Cooke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Matt Cooke

In Response to Re: Matt Cooke:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke : Shuperman, I also played some pro, in the early 80's in a full Slapshot-style league that had fights spill over into the stands more often than people would believe.  Not to be argumentative, but I'm not sure what you are arguing here. There's simply no way on the Savard play that he could be expected to see that cheap shot coming.  I agree you have to know who's on the ice, but the only way I can view that hit is someone going for someone's head, from a blindside.  That play happened a little out of camera angle, so I do not completely blame the refs for not seeing it.  However, I do blame the NHL office for not reviewing the play and deeming it intent to injure.  Its ALWAYS been illegal to check to the head... thats where roughing ("high hits") call come from.  The head has NEVER been an accepted target for a bodycheck, only the upper torso.  I simply do not understand the logic of not calling that play, that night, Deliberate Attempt To Injure, especially given Cooke's rapsheet. Finally, in my day, someone would have come off the bench and speared Cooke withing minutes of this happening.  The Bruins' pathetic gutless response along with the NHL's non-action creates the Cookes in this world.  I'm sorry if promoting intentional violence offends some people's sensitivities, but the main reason players these days do not respect each other anymore in terms of injury is because the street justice has disappeared.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Looking at all the youtube clips out there, the elbow looks pretty evident to me, I'd forgotten about that, but you clearly see Cooke's arm leave his side.

It's very difficult to see, but watch as many clips as you can.  What happens immediately after the play is you see Ryder going after Cooke with Lucic following closely.  The next thing I see is Wideman breaking it up for some reason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

SoxFan,

The term bell rung comes from somewhere does it not.  You never target the head but at the speed of the game sometimes its gonna happen.  I have been blindsided by a hit.  The hardest hits I ever receievd were the ones that you didnt see coming. 
    I have never stated that cooke should be let off lightly.  I just think its a terrible play for hockey.  But I do understand that hockey is a violent sport.  And this kinda thing will happen again. 
    I was in a similar league as you (Central Hockey League) and you either were a fighter or a scorer.  I couldn't do either well so I didnt last long.  Haha. 

Anyway,  I am done on this topic.  Its unfortunate our best player is out.  And I do think cooke is to blame for the hit...but I think there were a lot of factors that play into this as well.  As you stated.  Back in the day Cooke is a marked man for the remainder of the game. 
    One of my team mates was knocked silly one time and the coach came in and said if that little SOB makes it out of this game it will be a long practice on monday...lets just say buddy didnt make it out of the game...the zero response especially by the team captain is just wrong...I was more disgusted by the lack of care than I was the hit.  Why didnt Chara maul him like a big bear. 

Anyway, was only pointing out that these types of hits will continue.  As long as the league protects these little pukes it will always be there

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke : Looking at all the youtube clips out there, the elbow looks pretty evident to me, I'd forgotten about that, but you clearly see Cooke's arm leave his side. It's very difficult to see, but watch as many clips as you can.  What happens immediately after the play is you see Ryder going after Cooke with Lucic following closely.  The next thing I see is Wideman breaking it up for some reason.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I saw Ryder.  It was all very half-hearted.  And I dont buy the Julien "we have to make the playoffs" BS.  The season before when Savard (who?) dove in to try to defend a player against Dallas, it was a rallying point.

Next shift someone should have destroyed him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE].  As long as the league protects these little pukes it will always be there
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Completely agreed.