McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TylerSeguin. Show TylerSeguin's posts

Re: McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys

I agree with you Stanley

Tyler

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys:
    [QUOTE]McGrattan is flying to Europe on a family vacation on his own dime.  His play or lack there of has not been that of a player without a contract trying to desperately make a team.  Started the game, watched as his centerman got his azz handed to him.  Did nothing.  Started the third with his club flat as all get out.  The Hershey Bears countered with Bradley, Erskine, etc.., the toughest that they had, and what did the feared one do?  That's right nothing again.  By the looks of it, he is done.  Stick a fork in him.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I'm not a McGrattan fan, but let's be fair here. Campbell wasn't attacked off the faceoff; he dropped his gloves and got into a fight. What was McGrattan supposed to do? Jump into the middle of it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Duinne - I am being fair.  He was on the opening faceoff of the first and the third for a reason.  Hendricks went after Campbell for his beef with Ovi the night before.  McGrattan should have been chirping to everyone on the ice and the bench that if you go after Greg, I am coming for you.  The guy has tried to play positional hockey, poke checking, etc... He is there to fight and police the ice, period.  Of which he has done neither!  If I was without a contract and my role is to fight, I would be dropping the gloves at least twice a game to prove that I still have it.  He obviously thinks that he doesn't have to do it, or like others that have done it for awhile, doesn't want to anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

He will take care of the bad guys in Europe

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with you Stanley Tyler
    Posted by TylerSeguin[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tyler just have a few good words for me to PC ...I am still waiting for an answer (sent my resume last year to become GM assistant)

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Stanley is shining you-all on. Why McGratton is even in Europe is a mystery. No contract- no insurance= no fighting. The B's do not need two who can tango only. IMO they do not even need one. They have some tough guys in McQuaid, Horton,Chara, Lucic, Stuart, Boychuck, plus noone disses Bergeron and Caron looks to be the same quality. With this much toughness I would rather see 4 lines that have scoring potential

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Horton is not a tough guy..

people keep throwing his name in the ring based on his size.. 42 pims and 34 hits last season.. we can leave him off that list of tough guys...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Duinne - I am being fair.  He was on the opening faceoff of the first and the third for a reason.  Hendricks went after Campbell for his beef with Ovi the night before.  McGrattan should have been chirping to everyone on the ice and the bench that if you go after Greg, I am coming for you.  The guy has tried to play positional hockey, poke checking, etc... He is there to fight and police the ice, period.  Of which he has done neither!  If I was without a contract and my role is to fight, I would be dropping the gloves at least twice a game to prove that I still have it.  He obviously thinks that he doesn't have to do it, or like others that have done it for awhile, doesn't want to anymore.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I really think you don't understand hockey much. Either that, or you didn't see the game. Campbell and Hendricks were facing off. McGrattan, I suppose, could have skated over and jumped into the middle of their fight, which was instantaneous, but this is 2010, not the 1970s. He's not going to skate around before the faceoff threatening people (good grief), and he's not going to make this team if he gets kicked out of the game in the opening seconds.

Campbell didn't seem bothered by the situation. He tangled with a star, so he got his sweater pulled over his head and bumped around a little, and he sat in the box for five minutes. Case closed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

People don't seem to respect the job Thornton has done in Boston.
    He fought 21 times last year and for those of you who have said
    that he's not a true heavy weight, you weren't paying attention.
    To name a few of his opponents, Erskine, Ivanans, Brashear, Carkner,
    Boulton, Carcillo and Peters. On the rare occasion he loses, it is
    to a proven tough guy like Colton Orr, which Thornton takes much
    criticism for on these boards. McGratton comes to camp and many of
    you act like Thornton is an overpaid Susie that has no value. All
    reports say that he's good in the dressing room (read a Globe article
    last year that he has the team over to his house for dinner throughout
    the season), and he has more skill than every player he fought listed
    above with the exception of Erskine and Carcillo. He's certainly
    better than McGratton in terms of skill. McGratton is a stud fighter
    as well, and he would probably beat Thornton if they fought. But
    Thornton would fight him, like he fights everyone else that he has
    to, and that's all his teammates care about. Thornton is a better
    player, gets in the lineup more, which makes him more able to fill
    the enforcer roll. If Thornton hid from certain fighters I would
    understand the criticism but that's not the case. Anyone else sick
    of the Thornton bashing? If you don't want the guy on the team, fine,
    but he fought 21 times give him some credit. He's a beast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

It's the willingness to fight and defend your teammates that is more important then how many fights you actually win, in my opinion.  On top of that, the player has to at least hold his own on the ice i.e. can actually skate, back-check to some degree and shoot.  He can't be a liability on the ice when he's out there.  That's why guys like Domi and Probert, for example, had long NHL careers.  1-dimensional goons don't last too long.

Colton Orr doesn't win all his fights (he's been dropped a few times too), but he takes on all comers and is ready to back up his teammates or seek retribution when warranted (sometimes when it's not warranted too.....LOL) and the other teams know it.

Similiarly, Mike Brown, whom the Leafs acquired this year takes on all comers and usually loses (he's more of a middleweight, but he doesn't shy away from the heavyweights), but he's willing to go and defend his teammates which is what really counts.  Both players can play enough so that they are not liabilities on the ice.  In fact, Mike Brown can actually do some good things (block shots, kill penalties, finish all his checks); Orr can skate.

It's nice to have a few victories under your belt against heavyweights to give you some of that credability, but I don't think that ultimately matters.

I think Thorton does his job well enough.  He should probably play with a bit more edge more often, but he also isn't a stiff on the ice when he's out there.  He's not going to score much, but he can skate a bit and seems to back check reasonably well.

McGratton is the better fighter, to be sure, but he doesn't have much hockey skill.  I'm guessing he'd be a bit more of a liability on the ice.

If I were the Bruins, I'd sign McGratton to a minimum salary and keep him around  when the Bruins need a 2nd bruiser out there or in case you lose Thorton to an injury.  In that vein, maybe he dresses for 10-15 games a year and none in the playoffs.   A bit of an insurance policy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

McGrattan isn't worth the roster spot. Yes he is tough and can win fights. He can't do anything else but take stupid penalties. Sure, put him in the lineup. Let him take an unnecessary run at an opponent and take a penalty. Then the other team scores and puts the Bruins in a hole. This is McGrattan for you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

McGrattan was a much better skater than I expected.  I figured he'd be one of those lumbering goons like BGL out there.  He's more of heavyweight than Thornton, and if you figure he'd cost somewhere in the $500-$600K range then he might be worth hanging onto as the extra forward.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Exactly, and if we're going to carry an extra forward before Savard and Sturm return it should be a forward who will keep some pressure on the guys on the top nine, not someone who might fit on the fourth line. Personally, I'd rather they rolled with just twelve forwards for now, and let Suave, Colborne, Arniel, Lovecchio and the rest run rampant in the A until they are needed.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys : This. With the cap situation they're in, the Bruins need every man on the roster to be able to contribute. The days of carrying a goon around for nothing but fighting are over.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Duinne - your right, i don't understand hockey.  Only played for a state championship team in high school, juniors in the states, and worked in the IHL, NHL, and AHL for ten years.  Did you happen to see Calgary vs. Edmonton last night?  More then one guy was fighting at the same time.  Oh my god, it's the 70's again, the horror!  You don't have to skate around to let people know what your intentions are, and when was the last time you saw someone get a penalty for chirping.  If you have never been the person that has had to "send the message"  and actually done it, please don't tell me what you "understand" about hockey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Duinne - your right, i don't understand hockey.  Only played for a state championship team in high school, juniors in the states, and worked in the IHL, NHL, and AHL for ten years.  Did you happen to see Calgary vs. Edmonton last night?  More then one guy was fighting at the same time.  Oh my god, it's the 70's again, the horror!  You don't have to skate around to let people know what your intentions are, and when was the last time you saw someone get a penalty for chirping.  If you have never been the person that has had to "send the message"  and actually done it, please don't tell me what you "understand" about hockey.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Amazing. How could you spend so much time in hockey and write such ignorant posts?

Ah, never mind. Mike Milbury just answered my question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I hear you MeanE, it's easy for guys who have never laced em up in a real league and thrown down to write up their fantasy teams here while Savvy sits on the sidelines drooling out of the side of his mouth and Bergy prolly drops a log in his shorts everytime he goes into the corner first.... I have confidence that Cam, not forgetting his own fallout from Harry dumping Miller, will ink McGratts eventually - he gets it .....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Thorn will keep his Jersey and Cj will likely move him to the first line because he popped in with 2 assists today, McG get ready for Prov.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Duinne - Nice comeback.  If someone doesn't agree with you, they are ignorant?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys : Amazing. How could you spend so much time in hockey and write such ignorant posts? Ah, never mind. Mike Milbury just answered my question.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's you who doesn't understand.  MeanE and Milbury see the game differently than you do.  Maybe they're more interested in what players do on the ice instead of what they had for dinner last night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]People don't seem to respect the job Thornton has done in Boston. He fought 21 times last year and for those of you who have said that he's not a true heavy weight, you weren't paying attention. To name a few of his opponents, Erskine, Ivanans, Brashear, Carkner, Boulton, Carcillo and Peters. On the rare occasion he loses, it is to a proven tough guy like Colton Orr, which Thornton takes much criticism for on these boards. McGratton comes to camp and many of you act like Thornton is an overpaid Susie that has no value. All reports say that he's good in the dressing room (read a Globe article last year that he has the team over to his house for dinner throughout the season), and he has more skill than every player he fought listed above with the exception of Erskine and Carcillo. He's certainly better than McGratton in terms of skill. McGratton is a stud fighter as well, and he would probably beat Thornton if they fought. But Thornton would fight him, like he fights everyone else that he has to, and that's all his teammates care about. Thornton is a better player, gets in the lineup more, which makes him more able to fill the enforcer roll. If Thornton hid from certain fighters I would understand the criticism but that's not the case. Anyone else sick of the Thornton bashing? If you don't want the guy on the team, fine, but he fought 21 times give him some credit. He's a beast.
    Posted by CanadianBruin[/QUOTE]

Matt Cooke

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McGrattan over Thornton....sorry guys : Matt Cooke
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Got beat up by Thornton, ya I saw that too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Duinne, MeanE...
    I will put it out there too, most people know this, but having played hockey at any level, means you know the rules, its not going to mean you know the game any more or any less then anyone else.. There are players who are great and get by on pure talent, and there are players who are smart and get by with that..

some of the best players I ever played with knew little about the game, so thats a stupid point to try to win an argument on.. not to mention this is the internet, so the more "experience" you have the less believable it becomes, hardly anyone wants to hear my stories on my 5 straight stanley cup victories you know?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Roler - You can know the rules by watching peter Puck.  Only 5 Straight Stanley Cup victories?  I think I had 6 straight. :)  You are right this is the internet, and that means it goes both ways in terms of credibility.  I could be a female like Duinne, I could be homeless and post from the library, I could be a 13 year old boy who has never played or even been to a hockey game, I could be Gary Bettman, I could be Tom Fergus.  Or I could be a 40 year old man that has "experienced" all of the things that I speak of.  

You can play the game and still know little about the game, but if you have never played the game, you will never truly know what it is like to be a player, enforcer, etc...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

what's taking them so long to decide on offering him a contract ??

agree w/ LB34, nice to have them both on board....I'd find the cap space....

Sections
Shortcuts