mcquaid as 6th instead of hunwik?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

mcquaid as 6th instead of hunwik?

anyone on board with adam mcquaid as the 6th dman as apposed to hunwik...i know hunwik got the transistion game the coaches love..but i think mcquaid is alot more physical and poised back there..i guess those 2 can flip flop during the year until the injruy bug strikes but im liing 54 more and more

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: mcquaid as 6th instead of hunwik?

Bartowski is opening up some eyes so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

Hunwick is a Liability

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I like mcquaids game, but the bruins need an effective hunwick to move the puck...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

McQuaid should be there for sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

Mcquaid will be #6 in game 2 ... once Ference is hurt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hate to play the "too early" card, but...it's too early to make that decision.  Yes, McQuaid looked better last night, but Hunwick was playing on what was nominally the top pairing with Seidenberg.  He played just over 24 minutes to under 16 minutes for McQuaid, and took the tougher assignments.  In short, more was asked of Hunwick than McQuaid.

Bartkowski split the difference in TOI, had two points, was on for three Bruin goals, wasn't on for a single MTL goal, and looked generally like a player.  Given the point about Hunwick's spot being tied to his puck skills, and given that Bartkowski played more in more significant situations than McQuaid, wouldn't that suggest that "Steve" should have the inside track on the #6?

Probably not.  Because it's too early.  It all comes back to competition this year.  Hunwick shouldn't be guaranteed that spot, and McQuaid shouldn't be guaranteed the #7, because there are guys who might make this team better pushing for spots.  If they can prove they are consistently better - even if they can show that they're relatively on par but improving daily and showing signs of a higher talent level...well, shouldn't they be in Boston? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I will say too early.  Bruins really want Hunwick to become that puck moving D.
    Don't make him become and play with his confidence as was done with Wideman.
    McQuaid will get his chance but he's more on the outside looking in.
    The whole defense didn't look good last night with the exceptions of Bartowski and Boychuk. Even Bodnarchuk looked good on some shifts but the pairing of he and McQuaid at times got hemmed in. 
    Sidenberg didn't have a great game does that mean he's doesn't belong ? 
    They're not used to each other and many of them were running around ,  it's just a preseason game,  the first one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Hunwick is the teams best skater...40pts out of him this year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I don't know -- I think Hunwick has alot to give this team.  I also like Bartkowski, starting with the rookie games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I was very impressed with Bartkowski's performance last night. He was positionally sound, made some nice plays, and even bailed out his teammates on a couple of occasions. McQuaid had a good performance, showed some toughness and truculence, though not as impressive as Bartkowski.

Hunwick offers a lot when he's on his game, but we may have a Dennis Wideman redux here if he can't get his confidence back. When he's playing well, he adds a very crucial puck-moving element to the B's and the offence is much more dangerous. But when he's off, he is a terrible liability, and is utterly useless. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Impressed with Bartkowski pile on ditto he looked real comfortable out there n that's the first thing I look for in a rook. Pressure is on because indeed McQuaid and Bartkowski aren't going away n knocking on the door. This is a good thing if your thinking of PC bringing in young, hungry Dman to make the team.

I'm still pulling for Hunwick to pull it together though as said the Bruins do need his speed but Matt needs to get it together before the end of pre-season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Im not as high on the "puck moving" aspect of hunwick he's shown flashes here and there but has been a big liability at others.

But I have always liked mcquaid. Tough better size pretty good defensively. Only hunwick is 100% a wayyy better skater but I still see McQuaid as a solid 6th. Havent seen much of Bartowski couldnt watch the game last night so I wont say anything there.

Although with
    Chara-Boychuck
    Siedes-Stuart
    McQuaid/Callup - Ferrence

Thats a really strong/tough group and if they rely on the bruins centers to help out with the transition more you eliminate the need for Wideman hail mary passes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: mcquaid as 6th instead of hunwik?:
    Although with Chara-Boychuck Siedes-Stuart McQuaid/Callup - Ferrence Thats a really strong/tough group and if they rely on the bruins centers to help out with the transition more you eliminate the need for Wideman hail mary passes.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime

I agree about that group being tough to play against, and it is a solid bunch, but there isn't a lot of speed.

The problem that lineup will face is when they are facing a forward who is coming at full speed and dumps the puck. Our D-man has to turn around, retrieve the puck and move it up ice (or to his partner or around the boards). Problem is he won't be able to because he'll either get beaten to the puck or will be pinned against the boards because it will be a tie.

The other team will then be able to establish a forecheck and force the Bruins forwards to play much deeper, making it a lot harder to generate outlets and offensive opportunities in general. This isn't an issue for more mobile d-units.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Bartkowski was the best DMan last night...what does that tell me? It tells me that it was the first pre-season game. I thought he played a very sound game, but does that mean he's a lock to oust Hunwick or McQ? Hardly.

It is nice to have some young DMen push the 4-6 group though. I do think it is really a pivotal point in Hunwick's career. He'll be on a very short leash if he loses his confidence or continues fumbling his assignments (first goal for the Habs last night is a good example).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Let's sit back and watch for at least another week. If Bartkowski and McQuaid step up consistently, then why not trade Ference or Hunwick or Stuart?? It appears that Chara, Seidenberg, and Boychuck are fixed in place. Ference's contract has consistently been questioned; Hunwick, for whatever reason, needs to be as steady as last year's playoffs. Stuart should be a top 4 D, but, he has not done it yet. Could that be because he played mostly with Ference?? Chia has said that he is not finished with his D, probably because he had not watched Bartkowski or the other young defensemen in game action, but, he is now watching.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Alexandrov may have something to say as well, he can skate and think at same time.  I haven't seen much, but I watched his every move looking for weaknesses but did not see anything other than he is not 6'9.

Yuri will be tough to send down.

Contracts may be the issue.
    Z       7.5(ufa)      Seid     3.25 (4yr)
    Feren 2.25(3yr)     Boych  1.875(2yr)
    Stu    1.675(ufa)   Hunw   1.45(rfa)

Mcq  575 (105in P) next yr 575 both then rfa
    Bart  850-190in Bon 62.5 in prov for 2 years then rfa
    Yuri   730 for 2 years 62.5 in Prov then rfa

May all come down to salary where and when.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Puck-moving, and skating are nice buzz words... But you have to be able to get control of the puck first, and handle the oncoming physical pressure in your own end before you can move it yourself, or pass it.  At this point Hunwick is a defensive liability, and brings no physical aspect to the game...I'll take Mcquaid.
    Tired of watching Hunwick's zero compete level-

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Hunwick brings a different dimention to the team, McQuaid is a lesser version of Stuart

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Hunwick brings a different
    demention to the team, McQuaid is a lesser version of Stuart
    Posted by pbergeron37

"demention"    Seriously???  Ridiculous spelling aside, and on to the pointless comment - just exactly what dimension does "Hunwick bring"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"Hunwick brings a different demention to the team"

that is a classic Freudian slip right there!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Stanley brings a different dimentia to the team its just less respected..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

glad everyone got a chuckle from my spelling mistake, the dimention that Hunwick brings is speed from the blue line, puck moving ability, transition, hes pretty good at going back and retrieving the puck and moving it quickly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

glad everyone got a chuckle from my spelling mistake, the dimention that Hunwick brings is speed from the blue line, puck moving ability, transition, hes pretty good at going back and retrieving the puck and moving it quickly.
    Posted by pbergeron37

"dimention" ....you're on fire - Is that an online school you attend?

Here's some more for you to save time

damention
    dymention
    duhmention
    dimenchun

C'mon bro- get it together

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: mcquaid as 6th instead of hunwik? : "dimention" ....you're on fire - Is that an online school you attend? Here's some more for you to save time damention dymention duhmention dimenchun C'mon bro- get it together
    Posted by JWensink

Take it on easy on the guy.  It is tough to use the spell check feature.

Sections
Shortcuts