Milbury's question to Savard - pre game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Milbury's question to Savard - pre game

I thought Milbury's question to Savard regarding whether Savvy has had doubts about his return was extremely insensitive in light of the reports citing depression as the major side effect of his post-concussion syndrome.  I felt bad that it was on live TV and Savvy had to answer it.  Get a clue Milbury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game

yeah i really dislike Milbury.

Plenty of people could do his job, and do so in a less "I'm better than you" manner.
    He's a disgrace to the sport.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

I don't think Milbury asked anything inappropriate. They all just didn't realize how emotional Savard might be now with all the after effects of the concussion. Milbury is probably now sorry he asked but that doesn't make him insensitive. I think it was insensitive for the NHL not to punish Matt Cooke.

Tappen, Milbury, Kluzak and Pederson all do a good job. I'm happy with the coverage. I've seen a lot worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I just saw the actual interview and I didn't take it as insensitive.. He has a right to ask the question.. It's not like he blindsided him with it.. It was a hot topic in the offseason and PC no doubt had inquiries about him.. and I am sure some came from Leaf land ..He had a right to bring it up and give us viewers first eye view of Savy's response..

I kind of like Milbury's on air personna.. He likes to engage  and not always toe the company line, which is refreshing in an era where interviewers often only toss soft  questions and kiss up to high paid athletes and we get nothing but pablum as a viewer... I like him on Hockey Night in Canada when he goes toe to toe with Ron McLean and Pierre LeBrun...quite hilarious most of the time..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's not an inappropriate question nor was it a surprise to Savard. He would not have granted the interview if he was unwilling to answer the questions and during the off air prior there would have been a discussion between Milbury and Savard where Milbury would run through what he planned on asking. Not that he could promise to stick to the script, but I guarantee Savvy knew the question was coming. I don't thik he had any problem with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

i didn't see it. Can anyone post a link if you have it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

It was fine he is a paid professional athlete and this is Hockey the toughest of all sports, not a housewife bookclub.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game:
    [QUOTE]I just saw the actual interview and I didn't take it as insensitive.. He has a right to ask the question.. It's not like he blindsided him with it.. It was a hot topic in the offseason and PC no doubt had inquiries about him.. and I am sure some came from Leaf land ..He had a right to bring it up and give us viewers first eye view of Savy's response.. I kind of like Milbury's on air personna.. He likes to engage  and not always toe the company line, which is refreshing in an era where interviewers often only toss soft  questions and kiss up to high paid athletes and we get nothing but pablum as a viewer... I like him on Hockey Night in Canada when he goes toe to toe with Ron McLean and Pierre LeBrun...quite hilarious most of the time..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

+1  This

Sick of seeing "stars", whether its athletes, actors, politicians, etc., danced around and dodging the REAL questions.  Its like every reporter has turned into some spineless, yellow-bellied, bleeding-heart liberal who wont ask the REAL questions because, god forbid, someone gets their feelings hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Savards a hockey player not a yarn spinner, for petes sake play the game or retire!!!
    Posted by TheRealHomer[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding.

Would you be as ridiculously insenstive if Savard had his jaw wired shut, or a bone sticking out of his leg?

He's recovering from a BRAIN injury. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's any less real. As Patrice Bergeron demonstrated, it's a recovery that takes a long time. Why on earth should he either try to play with such an injury, or quit? Why no just take his time and get better?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game : +1  This Sick of seeing "stars", whether its athletes, actors, politicians, etc., danced around and dodging the REAL questions.  Its like every reporter has turned into some spineless, yellow-bellied, bleeding-heart liberal who wont ask the REAL questions because, god forbid, someone gets their feelings hurt.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Savard is suffering from post-concussion syndrome, which includes depression. If you think it should be acceptable to hurt the feelings of someone who is suffering from depression, then I have some advice for you: Strangle yourself.

I love your "bleeding heart liberal" comment, too. Liberals--who subscribe to a political affiliation that is ripe with scientific knowledge and secular values-- are far more likely to respect the judgement of doctors/psychiatrists/scientists and therefore much more likely to be cautious around someone like Marc Savard who is clearly still suffering from depression. Why is that a good thing? Because we understand context and appreciate the seriousness of his condition, but more importantly, we just don't want to cause him any additional harm.

On the other hand, we have BigVig. At first glance, he appears to be an unapologetic drinker of the dogmatic and anti-scientific kool-aid that is actively contaminating and poisoning the majority of Americans. You think a "REAL' answer to Milbury's 'REAL' question is going to make you a better person? whats more important to you, Savard's "real answer" or his mental health? Do you think it is anything more than filler-speech during pre-game? 

I dont even know where to begin with you. Shut it down BigVig.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Olsonic I dont even know where to begin with that.

Savard makes 5mil a year even while injured, he signed a contract with an organization. He was (most likely) aware of the questions he would be asked in the interview.

Its a non issue, hes a Professional Hockey player not a pansy. Even if he is emotional and suffering from depression, he signed a contract, he answers that question and never thinks about it again.

Pro athletes are asked that type of question all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]Even if he is emotional and suffering from depression, he signed a contract, he answers that question and never thinks about it again. Pro athletes are asked that type of question all the time.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]

LOL, wow.... so once you sign a contract, you cease to be a human being deserving of respect? so, once you make the big-bucks, it's acceptable for anyone to tacitly contribute to your suffering?

You think being depressed means you are a pansy? 

What a pathetic example of morality you are presenting. Maybe you should consider joining BigVig in heaving yourself off a local bridge: Whatever it takes to spare the world of your ignorance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

No kidding, what an idiot.  Way to make it into a political rant you freakin bleeding-heart moron.  Guess we know what color you vote.  Talk about a kool-aid drinker.  Guys like you are the problem with this country, not me.  You dont know ANYTHING about me, dont pretend to.  If he is "suffering" with depression (I went through depression when my college career was ended due to an injury, and I lost my FULL scholarship I was on thanks to hockey) I was on medication that CORRECTED it.  If Savard is clinically depressed, there are doctors and meds that will help him.  If he is so depressed he cannot answer questions, he shouldnt be doing ANY interviews.  Get a clue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

And another thing.  You, and people like you, are the biggest hypocrites there are.  You say have compassion for someone suffering from PCS, but then you tell others who dont agree with it to kill themselves!?  NICE!  Typical lefty:  If you dont agree with someone you attack them.  Gotta love it.  Your posts have been reported and Ive put you on my ignore list.  Youre a waste of my time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

[QUOTE]No kidding, what an idiot.  Way to make it into a political rant you freakin bleeding-heart moron.  Guess we know what color you vote.  Talk about a kool-aid drinker.  Guys like you are the problem with this country, not me.  You dont know ANYTHING about me, dont pretend to.  If he is "suffering" with depression (I went through depression when my college career was ended due to an injury, and I lost my FULL scholarship I was on thanks to hockey) I was on medication that CORRECTED it.  If Savard is clinically depressed, there are doctors and meds that will help him.  If he is so depressed he cannot answer questions, he shouldnt be doing ANY interviews.  Get a clue.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Thank you Vig, Were the bonehead insensitives right? Who's telling who to strangle themselves/jump off a bridge.

Did I say you cease being human? No.

Did you put words in my mouth? Yes.

I wont argue with someone like that because its clearly not worth it.

Point is Savard is a man who can control his feelings and answer a question when asked. He is payed millions to do so and to represent the Bruins as a franchise. He is not a 15year old girl on his period that is going to fly off the handle when asked a question from another professional about his professional life.

OC you get a clue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]And another thing.  You, and people like you, are the biggest hypocrites there are.  You say have compassion for someone suffering from PCS, but then you tell others who dont agree with it to kill themselves!?  NICE!  Typical lefty:  If you dont agree with someone you attack them.  Gotta love it.  Your posts have been reported and Ive put you on my ignore list.  Youre a waste of my time.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

I am going to cry myself to sleep that i'm on your ignore list. telling you to kill yourself is just a device to show my disapproval, I don't actually want you to do so..... didn't think I would have to explain that--

P.S., I didn't know medication was the cure-all for depression. I must have missed that article published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It must have read something like, "UCLA scientists realize that all forms of depression are the same and all can be treated by the same pill"

@Seguin - I never said I was this great example of morality either--I'm just calling a spade a spade. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

was milbury supposed to ask about his golf game??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game : +1  This Sick of seeing "stars", whether its athletes, actors, politicians, etc., danced around and dodging the REAL questions.  Its like every reporter has turned into some spineless, yellow-bellied, bleeding-heart liberal who wont ask the REAL questions because, god forbid, someone gets their feelings hurt.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

How totally idiotic to try to make this a political issue.  Is it only liberals that have sympathy for traumatic brain injuries?  Grow up.

Don't forget what your good book says...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]And another thing.  You, and people like you, are the biggest hypocrites there are.  You say have compassion for someone suffering from PCS, but then you tell others who dont agree with it to kill themselves!?  NICE!  Typical lefty:  If you dont agree with someone you attack them.  Gotta love it.  Your posts have been reported and Ive put you on my ignore list.  Youre a waste of my time.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

I like how bigvig does the whole tough guy, chest puffed out railing thing against 'yellow bellies' and so forth, and then admits that he ran to the teacher to report another poster for being offensive to his sensibilities...??

Can't have it both ways, crybaby.  If you dish it out...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://www.nesn.com/2010/10/marc-savard-addresses-concussion-trade-rumors-before-home-opener.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game : Thank you Vig, Were the bonehead insensitives right? Who's telling who to strangle themselves/jump off a bridge. Did I say you cease being human? No. Did you put words in my mouth? Yes. I wont argue with someone like that because its clearly not worth it. Point is Savard is a man who can control his feelings and answer a question when asked. He is payed millions to do so and to represent the Bruins as a franchise. He is not a 15year old girl on his period that is going to fly off the handle when asked a question from another professional about his professional life. OC you get a clue.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]

Saying that Savard is a grown man who can control his feelings shows that you probably have not had any direct experience with the crippling effects of depression (that's a good thing, by the way).  That is just the point, the depression controls YOU and there is no timetable on when it will subside.  Sure, doctors and meds will help, but the timetable of when patients improve varies greatly from person to person.

I still think it was a lousy question by Milbury because he sould have known that there really is no certain date that Savvy could have given for his return.  It's not like it's a broken wrist that will heal in 6-8 weeks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CygnusX2112. Show CygnusX2112's posts

The Medical Discussion sub forum for discussing the symptoms for Neurological injuries is that way --->... And I think the Political Argument thread is over there <---.

So how about that hockey team eh, good game ya?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game : I like how bigvig does the whole tough guy, chest puffed out railing thing against 'yellow bellies' and so forth, and then admits that he ran to the teacher to report another poster for being offensive to his sensibilities...?? Can't have it both ways, crybaby.  If you dish it out...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Big difference between dissagreeing with someone, and telling 2 different people in 1 page they should go kill themselves because you dont like what they say.  Totally inappropriate on every level and it has NOTHING to do with dishing it out and taking it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury's question to Savard - pre game : Big difference between dissagreeing with someone, and telling 2 different people in 1 page they should go kill themselves because you dont like what they say.  Totally inappropriate on every level and it has NOTHING to do with dishing it out and taking it.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Well obviosuly I agree that talk about killing yourselves has no place here and is bad judgement at the least.

It's just that I thought you really ramped up a discussion about hockey unnecessarily, by going into the political tirade about liberals and yellow-bellies who are doing nothing more than sympathizing with a guy who is suffering from severe injuries and depression.  It made me think that you don't care much about insulting people on this board.  I wouldn't wish Savard's condition on my worst enemy, and I am no bleeding heart liberal.

Milbury can ask whatever he wants, but question seems stupid and insensitive to me, mainly because it is obvious that there is no real answer.  We all know damn well that when you are suffering from concussion symptoms you can't possibly make projections about the future and put a timeline on your return.  I wasn't offended by the question, I just thought it was pointless to ask in the first place.  Would you ask a cancer patient the same question?

Sections
Shortcuts