Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin. Show mohawkbruin's posts

Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas????

with 1 less goalie available after Nabakov signs big deal, could Phil or Wash get in on Thomas, only Turco left for a big name, I would take Thomas over Turco, but $$$

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas????

I saw the Nabakov signing as well, surprised me, I guess winning a cup has 0 significance for him..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You beat me to it. I was just about to start a thread and  copy link .
    The rumors will start again now. 2 teams are shopping for goal tenders.
    I know from a contact in the Philly organization that they went after Turco before trading for the rights of Nabakov but Turco did not like the deal that the Flyers offered and so he declined . 

Nabakov link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533939

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Interesting. 

I am still shocked no one wants Thomas. For an NHL goalie, he really doesn't have much mileage on him, despite his advanced age. In my opinion, could easily be an effective starting goalie for the duration of his contract (barring injury, which can wreck havok on older goalies)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=WAS&season=1011

Even though they have 11Mil under the cap what salary is coming back ? Mcphee is not just going to just send picks back. What Dman works ? What salary ?

One thing is for sure Varlamov is not going to bring the Caps a cup...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas????:
        http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=WAS&season=1011 Even though they have 11Mil under the cap what salary is coming back ? Mcphee is not just going to just send picks back. What Dman works ? What salary ? One thing is for sure Varlamov is not going to bring the Caps a cup...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I doubt they give up on Varlamov just yet.. similar age and stats to rask..You want to write him off and then trade thomas banking on rask??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : I doubt they give up on Varlamov just yet.. similar age and stats to rask..You want to write him off and then trade thomas banking on rask?? Posted by rolerhoky19

If your suggesting Varlamov for Thomas that's not what I meant. Washington we'll keep Varlamov but he's not leading the caps to the cup anytime soon. Puck possession is what helps Varlamov where as Rask had to put up with allot non puck possession and putrid defensive work by Hunwick and Wides.

I put Rask ahead of Varlamov at this time and say that Washington would have beaten Montreal with Rask.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I haven't seen this on TSN yet, which is a little disconcerting, but if it is true, it can only help Chairelli in his attempt to trade Timmy...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

I saw the Nabakov signing as well, surprised me, I guess winning a cup has 0 significance for him..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

nor does he have interest in the NHL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Living in D.C., people seem generally high on Varlamov. He was injured last season,  but when he came back, it took an incredible run by Theodore not to immediately bench him in favor of Varlamov. In the end, they pulled Theodore at the 1st sign of trouble (even though you could argue that theodore earned the spot).

I honestly blame the coaching staff down here, not the goaltenders. It seems that they unintentionally keep messing with each goalie's head it seems. It's not an equal/consistent distribution of ice-time like it was when Manny F was here in Boston. That inconsistency/instability doesn't work well for some goalies.

With that being said.. I didn't watch Varlamov play enough to make my own judgement, I'm just basing this opinion off what I listen to and read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Despite the "expertise" in all these posts that desire to "give away TT'  i'm sure that Chia will not give away a very competative goalie who is only a year from winning the Vezina, and who is pushing to be a no.1 performer in Boston or elsewhere. Thomas is still a very skilled goalie with an excellent record who was faced with a goalie who played better. The Bruins still have the goalie who played better, PLUS, Tim Thomas. Why change the mix at this point?? Ryder, Savvy, Wheeler, Stuart, Hunwick, Ference are all potentially replacable. The rooks are strutting their stuff now and training camp is another evaluation opportunity to shake up what now looks like Wheeler/Savard/Seguin; Lucic/Kreji/Horton; Sturm[Marchand]/Bergie/Recchi; and Paille/Campbell/Thornton with Chara/Seids; Hunwick/Boychuck/Ference/McQuaid or Stuart

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : nor does he have interest in the NHL
    Posted by bruins248

I guess being one of the best teams in the league and then sucking in the playoffs will do that to you...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I live in Pennsylvania and have season tickets for the Caps minor league team in Hershey. Naturally, I get a lot of Caps news. The Caps are loaded with good young goaltenders. It isn't just Varlamov. Michel Neuvirth is a heck of a goalie, who has won back-to-back Calder Cups. I think he is better than Varlamov and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the Caps #1 by season's end. They also have Braden Holtby in Hershey, who plays like Ron Hextall. The Caps also traded up to draft a goalie this year. There is no way the Caps trade for Tim Thomas who has 3 years left on his contract. They have too many young goalies that are NHL-ready or will be NHL-ready.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : I guess being one of the best teams in the league and then sucking in the playoffs will do that to you...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

haha and i gues making only 4 or 5 million dollars isn't enough right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I would gladly send Thomas to the caps for nothing but a mid range prospect....at this point, getting rid of him is the big thing.
    Posted by pbergeron37

You don't give valuable assets away for basically free. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326867

He's only making $4M/yr in the KHL.  This has to be about years.  And no taxes.

Conceivably, it's about 'going home'.

I'm not sure this will impact the Bruins' ability to deal Thomas but it does is take away a high-profile option for teams looking for goaltenders.  It can't hurt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : If your suggesting Varlamov for Thomas that's not what I meant. Washington we'll keep Varlamov but he's not leading the caps to the cup anytime soon. Puck possession is what helps Varlamov where as Rask had to put up with allot non puck possession and putrid defensive work by Hunwick and Wides. I put Rask ahead of Varlamov at this time and say that Washington would have beaten Montreal with Rask.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

no more in relation to Varlamov not being able to win them a cup... possesion aside, sv% is sv%, and he was an animal in the playoffs 2 years ago.. he sat a long time before he got called on in the play offs.. He was an animal a couple years ago when they lost to pitts.. I don't see him being costly in the play offs to them you know?  certainly I would say he was as good as either of the 2 goalies in the finals this year...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I was just checking to see if there was a post on Nabaokov's 6-year contract with St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League. 

Here are the details:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533939

OK, covered...no bother; link already pasted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? :  possesion aside, sv% is sv%, and he was an animal in the playoffs 2 years ago.. He was an animal a couple years ago when they lost to pitts.. I don't see him being costly in the play offs to them you know?  certainly I would say he was as good as either of the 2 goalies in the finals this year...Posted by rolerhoky19

I'd say he's better than either of those 2 and will be with Washington for awhile.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I would gladly send Thomas to the caps for nothing but a mid range prospect....at this point, getting rid of him is the big thing.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Too bad we couldn't get rid of you!!! Your so stupid with your thinking that Rask is all that! Mark my words if the B's trade TT they'll be hard pressed to make the play-offs! Rask got figured out & he will not get any better until he figures that out. Without a TT pushing him his game will spirial downward because he'll think that starting role is his & can't be taken away from him! It'll be a Carey Price, Steve Mason fiasco! I don't care how great you think Rask A$_ is to kiss, it's not going to make him develope any faster you moron! He needs more time to develope & you're showing your hockey knowledge as a ZERO when it comes to goaltending! Haven't you learned anything! God Almighty your thick skulled!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid once in awhile, but you abuse the privilege.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326867 He's only making $4M/yr in the KHL.  This has to be about years.  And no taxes. Conceivably, it's about 'going home'. I'm not sure this will impact the Bruins' ability to deal Thomas but it does is take away a high-profile option for teams looking for goaltenders.  It can't hurt.
    Posted by Bookboy007

At $4M/yr, he'd pay 35% to the feds alone in taxes.  Add in state tax, property tax, sales tax, and the rest of the taxes that are heaped upon us to (fill in your political affiliation's soap box here:  fianace a war we shouldn't be in/offer a health care package no one wants) and going home to earn big money with no taxes seems like the best idea ever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : Too bad we couldn't get rid of you!!! Your so stupid with your thinking that Rask is all that! Mark my words if the B's trade TT they'll be hard pressed to make the play-offs! Rask got figured out & he will not get any better until he figures that out. Without a TT pushing him his game will spirial downward because he'll think that starting role is his & can't be taken away from him! It'll be a Carey Price, Steve Mason fiasco! I don't care how great you think Rask A$_ is to kiss, it's not going to make him develope any faster you moron! He needs more time to develope & you're showing your hockey knowledge as a ZERO when it comes to goaltending! Haven't you learned anything! God Almighty your thick skulled! Everyone is entitled to be stupid once in awhile, but you abuse the privilege.
    Posted by nitemare-38

A little harsh nitemare, but true.

I really hope that PC finds a way to eliminate Ryder's salary when making cap space.  Thomas would be a BIG loss to this team as Rask certainly looks good with a lot of potential, but he is still unproven.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : offer a health care package no one wants
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

your opinion....you're speaking for yourself and not the whole country, right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : your opinion....you're speaking for yourself and not the whole country, right?
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Feel free to re-read the entire thought:  (fill in your political affiliation's soap box here:  fianace a war we shouldn't be in/offer a health care package no one wants)

It was a joke offering both Democrat and GOP points of view.  Without question not meant to get into any political debate whatsoever as this is 100% not the place for that.  Can you imagine how out of control that would get?  People put five pages up on whether or not it is okay be be happy Bob Probert died.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Nabakov signs with KHL, Thomas???? : Too bad we couldn't get rid of you!!! Your so stupid with your thinking that Rask is all that! Mark my words if the B's trade TT they'll be hard pressed to make the play-offs! Rask got figured out & he will not get any better until he figures that out. Without a TT pushing him his game will spirial downward because he'll think that starting role is his & can't be taken away from him! It'll be a Carey Price, Steve Mason fiasco! I don't care how great you think Rask A$_ is to kiss, it's not going to make him develope any faster you moron! He needs more time to develope & you're showing your hockey knowledge as a ZERO when it comes to goaltending! Haven't you learned anything! God Almighty your thick skulled! Everyone is entitled to be stupid once in awhile, but you abuse the privilege.
    Posted by nitemare-38

What Pbergeron said has nothing to do with rask being all that. Nitemare, I like TT, and I would enjoy to have a Rask/TT tandemfor the next 3 years. But the truth is that we are in Salary cap hell right now. Let's say that we trade TT for a pick/prospect, thats 5 million freed up right there. Then use 2 million of that 5 and sign a guy like turco. That's 3 million plus the mere 2.7 mill we already have, and thats 5.7 mill in cap space to fit stuart, wheeler, campbell, and seguin under the cap.

Now let's look at other options.

a)trade savard. I don't care how many centers we have, a low scoring team trading their best offensive player is a bad idea. Besides, MS is only waving his NTC for 2-3 teams (ottawa, toronto). neither of those teams seem to be interested in savard, so a MS trade isnt very likely

b) Get rid of ryder. PC has already stated that he will not buy anyone out. Cross a buy out off the list. They could bury ryder in providence. But here is the problem that many people dont realise about that. If ryder is in providence, even though he wont count against the cap, the bruins still have to pay him his 4 mill. Lets say they use that 4 mill on another player. Thats 8 million for one roster spot. Do you really think the bruins are going to basically flush 4 million dollars down the drain. I think burying ryder in the minors is unlikely

So nitemare, the point is that we need cap space desperately. In a perfect world, I would love to have TT and Rask, but we dont live in a perfect world. Some moves have to be made to improve the team

Sections
Shortcuts