Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye?

In reply to another thread here, Mutant211 made an interesting comment that gave rise to a whole different topic:

In Response to Re: Could this be Chiarelli's last chance?:
    IMHO, Neely is more of a figurehead president, put in place because if his popularity with the Bruins fanbase.  He does NOT have the power to fire Chiarelli.  How important is the president to the Bruins organization?  The position was vacant for nearly four years....
    Posted by Mutant211

My response (apologies in advance for length of this!):

You're right Mutant, it wasn't important that the Bruins had an official team President the past 4 years.  But it is now.  And Neely is no figurehead President, trust me.  Taking everything into consideration, Neely had to be promoted to President for two reasons:

1) The public reason: for p.r. purposes, in an attempt to stem the tide of talk from season ticket holders that they weren't going to renew after blowing 3-0 lead to Phliars.  Something quick needed to be done in advance of the draft, trades, re-signings, etc., some sort of positive distraction that in fact also had some teeth in it (see below).  The Neely promotion probably served that short-term purpose.

2) The most important reason:  I'm not saying the skids have been greased for PC's removal, however if the B's falter badly next season or if they don't clearly show they're solidly into Phase III (a legit Cup contender) of PC's rebuilding program, the necessary hierarchy is now in place if changes need to be made.  Neely is one of the very few with the stature to make such changes.  He enjoys inherent respect from everyone...the media, fans, players (current and past), he's also connected to many a big-wig via his Neely House work. 

It's important to bear in mind (pun?) that when JJ hired PC as GM in June of 2006, he publicly stated that he was so impressed with PC that he envisioned him as B's team President after his time as GM was over.  JJ even volunteered that his son Charlie wasn't presidential material and didn't really want the job, and that he saw PC in that role eventually. 

Maybe JJ still sees things that way, maybe he doesn't, who knows?  But if JJ still felt that PC had the makings of a team president, he wouldn't have bothered to install Neely in that position now, would he?  And after all the negative fallout following the B's disastrous loss to the Phliars this spring, it had to become clear to JJ that this type of result cannot be tolerated if something similarly bad was to happen in 2011.

PC's entering what will be his 5th year of running the show.  Five years should be enough time to know whether his program is working or not. The B's are once again at a point where they must be better, but this time it's not just about being "tougher to play against", etc.  It's about taking the next step in becoming a legitimate Stanley Cup contender for several years running.  No flash-in-the-pan runs, but several consistent long runs that get the B's into the Final with a legit shot at winning the Cup (unlike this year's Phliars, who though they got to the Final, really had no chance of beating the Blackhawks) and then winning the damn thing.

Harry Sinden's fingerprints are all over Neely's ascendency as Bruins President.  You have to figure it was Harry who told JJ (after all, JJ has kept Sinden around as his own Adviser since June, 2006; and Harry spoke at the press conference when Cam was named president and has been more visible of late in general) that he'd better get some structure in place in the front office in case it's needed.  Notice that Harry went out of his way to sing Neely's praises at the press conference.  After watching him in action the past few years as Vice President, Sinden saw that Neely's the guy he'd sought all along to succeed him going back to the years when Harry was experimenting with the likes of Milbury and OC. 

Sinden still has JJ's ear, and maybe that's a good thing as uniquely, Harry had the experience and insight to see that the B's are entering a potentially sensitive time in their development under Chiarelli.  As we all know by now, JJ's just not good at that kind of thing - he relies on others to do it for him.  Enter Harry.  It's because of Sinden that Neely's in charge now, and was certainly the right time to make the move. 

It's at times like this when Will McDonough is missed the most.  McDonough and Sinden had a relationship.  We'll never read any of this from KPD because he and Sinden can barely tolerate each other.  (Ever notice that Dupont never wrote one word of career synopsis, tribute or outgoing interview when Sinden departed as President upon Chiarelli being named as GM in 2006?)

Again, apologies for the length of this.  I got a little carried away, but the more I thought about it, the more significant Neely's promotion seemed to be.  BC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye?

Wasn't this posted somewhere else here?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Please BruinsCountry explain to me how a President or a GM of an NHL organization can predict or prevent injuries of Krejci and Kessel in the 09' playoffs ? How can they predict the rash of injuries in the Bruins 10' regular season and playoffs ? Please give a list of GMs that might be available next summer you'd prefer ?

Lets say Ken Holland is the bench mark NHL executive the GM everyone wants to be. Is he perfect ? Made no mistakes ? Lou Lamorillo perfect ? I say no

Forget Harry Sinden he is a walking zombie looking for another neet glass of rye and has no more influence on this organization. PC would not have signed on if he had to answer to Sinden or even listen to his penny pinching hogwash.

Chiarelli has problems with cap management and too much money for too long on 2 contracts Sturm and Ryder I cannot agrue on that. So lets look at his drafting he's had 4 drafts. 3 players drafted after Hamill have contributed to there teams in a bad draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

Are you saying Chiarelli made mistakes with Colborne, Caron, Spooner and Knight and they haven't played in the NHL ? That they should be playing with the big club already.

PC has Seguin and Toronto's #1 in 2011 as feathers in his cap. Unless you think Colby Armstrong at 3Mil per and Versteeg are going to save suddenly save the Laffs.

Cam Neely was a great player and a great Bruin but that does not translate to being a Ken Holland or Lou Lamorillo executive. I don't think Cam has the slightest idea of how to do contracts or conduct drafts any better than PC or any available possible GM replacements next summer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye?:
    Please BruinsCountry explain to me how a President or a GM of an NHL organization can predict or prevent injuries of Krejci and Kessel in the 09' playoffs ? How can they predict the rash of injuries in the Bruins 10' regular season and playoffs ? Please give a list of GMs that might be available next summer you'd prefer ? Lets say Ken Holland is the bench mark NHL executive the GM everyone wants to be. Is he perfect ? Made no mistakes ? Lou Lamorillo perfect ? I say no Forget Harry Sinden he is a walking zombie looking for another neet glass of rye and has no more influence on this organization. PC would not have signed on if he had to answer to Sinden or even listen to his penny pinching hogwash. Chiarelli has problems with cap management and too much money for too long on 2 contracts Sturm and Ryder I cannot agrue on that. So lets look at his drafting he's had 4 drafts. 3 players drafted after Hamill have contributed to there teams in a bad draft.           http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html Are you saying Chiarelli made mistakes with Colborne, Caron, Spooner and Knight and they haven't played in the NHL ? That they should be playing with the big club already. PC has Seguin and Toronto's #1 in 2011 as feathers in his cap. Unless you think Colby Armstrong at 3Mil per and Versteeg are going to save suddenly save the Laffs. Cam Neely was a great player and a great Bruin but that does not translate to being a Ken Holland or Lou Lamorillo executive. I don't think Cam has the slightest idea of how to do contracts or conduct drafts any better than PC or any available possible GM replacements next summer.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

SanDog and anyone else: Apologies if I caused any confusion.  My point wasn't to advocate for Chiarelli's removal, only to point out that more will be expected next season, and with Neely's promotion as President, the hierarchy is now in place in case the B's falter significantly in 2010-11 and the Bruin's feel a change is necessary. 

Without a President, the structure wasn't in place; now it is.  But I don't think the timing of Neely's promotion was mere coincidence.  For the reasons you stated, of course Neely wouldn't take over as GM, but he would handle the firing and the search for a replacement should it become necessary.  As a VP, Cam didn't have that kind of authority.  Now he does.  Considering how this apparently came about, I think it's an interesting development that should not be overlooked, that's all I'm saying. 

For the most part, I've liked what PC has done since he got here.  BC 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Oh how wicked the deviation between a concept of management as stated above and what is happening. No argument that the position of President should be filled; no argument that Neely is a good choice both from a P.R. perspective and his own experience in developing Neely House. Cam's knowledge of hockey and management fits like a T, but he is there to help Chia, not subvert him. They look like a great team. Just like Neely going on the ice to work with Looch does not subvert CJ, however he might just become more influential on who CJ desires as a coach for offense and defense allowing Chia more time to focus on the team and the league. Neely is a positive action, nothing negative in it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I think there's some truth to what you're saying BC, but I think PC has a 2+ year leash no matter what the Bruins do for the 2010-11 season, unless of course they fall off the cliff, such as not making the playoffs.

The Bruins should be in better shape in 2011-12, and I think the Bruins top guys know this, thus PC should still being around IMO . . . . Ryder and Sturm's contracts will be off the books ($7.5M cap space freed up). Colborne and Caron could possibly replace them, and if they are, in addition to having lower cap hits, PC will look good for drafting them . . . . and who knows, maybe Wheeler becomes a star also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye? : SanDog and anyone else: Apologies if I caused any confusion.  My point wasn't to advocate for Chiarelli's removal, Without a President, the structure wasn't in place; now it is.  But I don't think the timing of Neely's promotion was mere coincidence.  For the reasons you stated, of course Neely wouldn't take over as GM, but he would handle the firing and the search for a replacement should it become necessary . Posted by BruinsCountry

No apologies necessary BC and the summer of 2011 will be much more important than this past one because Chiarelli will have needed to go deeper into the playoffs than the 2nd round and he'll have 30Mil for that summer in his hands to play with. He'd better not play with it like monopoly money or that would definitely will be PCs undoing. Also if the Bruins don't hoist the cup by 2012 Peter is gone and Cam will be searching.

PS. I was hoping you had a list of future potential GMs you might have convinced me LoL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll go you one better, 'Dog - If the Bruins hadn't pulled their schist together in March, I'm guessing the Bruins would have cleaned house and charged the extensions of the coaching staff and Chiarelli to the marketing department.

Because of that, I'm also thinking the Bruins aren't done yet making moves.  People have put up several lineups with the Ryder-Krejci-Wheeler line.  That cannot happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Poor Mr. Krejci having to go through another season with those two Meh...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I'll go you one better, 'Dog - If the Bruins hadn't pulled their schist together in March, I'm guessing the Bruins would have cleaned house and charged the extensions of the coaching staff and Chiarelli to the marketing department. Because of that, I'm also thinking the Bruins aren't done yet making moves.  People have put up several lineups with the Ryder-Krejci-Wheeler line.  That cannot happen.
    Posted by Bookboy007

If it was up to me it would be Lucic-Krejci-Seguin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Wow.  JJ sold this story, and everyone has taken it, hook line and sinker.

Initial post had one thing right, that Cam's only purpose will be to eventually fire PC.  JJ realized that staying with the same GM for 500  years as he did with Sinden was a mistake.  Like coaches, GM's get fired a lot.

With no evidence what ever, people are saying that PC is now reporting to Neely, and Neely doesn't stand for this, and Neely won't tolerate that and Neely is laying down the law....  and... and...

Just because he played that way doesn't mean that he WOULD be the same in business.  And that's IF he were in charge.

And he's not.

Tell me of a business that has a president, but the GM has final say on trades and the president does not have the ability to fire the GM.  That sums it up completely and totally.

Look, Cam was a great player.  This organization is headed in the right direction.  PC has made mistakes, but they are becoming fewer.  Ryder and Wideman bad contracts aren't nearly the bad contract that Ference is.

JJ knows fully well he and Charles in charge are hated.  He's a sharp businessman and HAD to put another face on the organization.  Why not make that face of Bruins the most popular Bruin available?

You want to believe that Cam is calling the shots as president?  Fine, you just believe that, I can't argue with you.  Same as if you want to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, ghosts and aliens.

No Santa Claus???  You mean to tell me that millions, if not billions, of parents are perpetuating a fraud over their very own children?  Ridiculous!  how could there possibly be such a conspiracy as to coordinate billions of parents world wide to commit such a fraud??  That's impossible!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Wow.  JJ sold this story, and everyone has taken it, hook line and sinker. Initial post had one thing right, that Cam's only purpose will be to eventually fire PC.  JJ realized that staying with the same GM for 500  years as he did with Sinden was a mistake.  Like coaches, GM's get fired a lot. With no evidence what ever, people are saying that PC is now reporting to Neely, and Neely doesn't stand for this, and Neely won't tolerate that and Neely is laying down the law....  and... and... Just because he played that way doesn't mean that he WOULD be the same in business.  And that's IF he were in charge. And he's not. Tell me of a business that has a president, but the GM has final say on trades and the president does not have the ability to fire the GM.  That sums it up completely and totally. Look, Cam was a great player.  This organization is headed in the right direction.  PC has made mistakes, but they are becoming fewer.  Ryder and Wideman bad contracts aren't nearly the bad contract that Ference is. JJ knows fully well he and Charles in charge are hated.  He's a sharp businessman and HAD to put another face on the organization.  Why not make that face of Bruins the most popular Bruin available? You want to believe that Cam is calling the shots as president?  Fine, you just believe that, I can't argue with you.  Same as if you want to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, ghosts and aliens. No Santa Claus???  You mean to tell me that millions, if not billions, of parents are perpetuating a fraud over their very own children?  Ridiculous!  how could there possibly be such a conspiracy as to coordinate billions of parents world wide to commit such a fraud??  That's impossible!
    Posted by BadHabitude

BadHab, Sorry for late reply, have been away this wknd.  I'm viewing this mostly from a business standpoint.  Normally within a business organization, a President ranks below the Owner but above the General Manager.  The President has the authority to hire and fire a General Manager.  

The same is true within most NHL clubs.  It's not unusual at all in the NHL for the GM to have autonomy over hockey operations.  Meddling Owners and Presidents aside (we've seen that here in Boston with Sinden and OC...), that's what GM's are hired to do.   If the team fails to meet expectations, the GM would be removed by the President who would then lead the search for a new President. 

Relative to Neely's promotion by the Bruins, my thoughts as to his authority and ultimate responsibilities have nothing whatsoever to do with how Cam's managerial style as President might be a reflection of what his playing style was.  It's not that "Neely doesn't stand for this, and Neely won't tolerate that and Neely is laying down the law..." other words; it's only that Neely is now team President, and as such, he will...if need be...have the authority to hire and fire the GM.  

Question for BadHab and anyone else:  where do some B's fans get the idea that Neely doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the GM?  That question was not addressed at the press conference naming Neely President.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye? : BadHab, Sorry for late reply, have been away this wknd.  I'm viewing this mostly from a business standpoint.  Normally within a business organization, a President ranks below the Owner but above the General Manager.  The President has the authority to hire and fire a General Manager.   The same is true within most NHL clubs.  It's not unusual at all in the NHL for the GM to have autonomy over hockey operations.  Meddling Owners and Presidents aside (we've seen that here in Boston with Sinden and OC...), that's what GM's are hired to do.   If the team fails to meet expectations, the GM would be removed by the President who would then lead the search for a new President.  Relative to Neely's promotion by the Bruins, my thoughts as to his authority and ultimate responsibilities have nothing whatsoever to do with how Cam's managerial style as President might be a reflection of what his playing style was.  It's not that "Neely doesn't stand for this, and Neely won't tolerate that and Neely is laying down the law..." other words; it's only that Neely is now team President, and as such, he will...if need be...have the authority to hire and fire the GM.   Question for BadHab and anyone else:  where do some B's fans get the idea that Neely doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the GM?  That question was not addressed at the press conference naming Neely President.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

Yes. You have pointed out that I have contradicted myself.  Neely does have firing responsibility, but I would contend that is his only purpose in the role.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

Neely is not just a figure head. I think it's a great move. He's been grandfathered into the position, and is a great leader of the team. He is an excellent character to help build this team. He's a class act, and I can't see players coming into the organization that don't meet certain standards of sportsmanship. If I had to pick, I honestly would have picked Neely as well. He's an excellent face for the franchise. Sea Bass doesn't f%*k around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye? : Yes. You have pointed out that I have contradicted myself.  Neely does have firing responsibility, but I would contend that is his only purpose in the role.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Based on what?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's promotion - more to it than meets the eye? : Based on what?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Sinden last had the role and there has been no president since Sinden was made senior advisor.
    Sinden has not been fired, he still has that role.

In all the press releases, they only refer to Neely's playing record and I don't see much, if anything about what his responsibilities are.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/report-cam-neely-will-be-named-president-of-boston-bruins.html
    Comcast Sports Network New England's Joe Haggerty reports via Twitter that Neely will "likely be an equal with [current Bruins GM Peter] Chiarelli."
    If the journalists are not clear, then what else can his role be?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What some hack says on Twitter means nothing.

The role of the President has likely been spread to many different people over the past few years.  Now that they have a new President, he can resume taking responsibility of all of those roles.  It's not as if a press release from the team is going to detail everything the man does on a day-to-day basis.

When Chiarelli was hired, they didn't detail his everyday responsibilites. 

The team President has a tremendous amount of things to do.  The idea that all he'll be doing is sitting back and decided on Chiarelli's fate is insane.

Sections
Shortcuts