Neurologist Loses Season for B's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1182669. Show user_1182669's posts

No one should blame the Bruins for the loss to MTL in game seven. If there is one person to lay blame on it's the brain-dead neurologist who was overseeing Patrice Bergeron's treatment. While the Habs got Koivu back from cancer (one of the most serious of illnesses), in time for the Playoffs in 2002 (and incidentally back from a broken left foot this time), the dumb doctor had Bergy practice for two months, including contact practices (with no ill-effects to boot) but wouldn't clear him for game action. If he thought Bergy was so bad off, why let him train so hard instead of just shutting him down. Also, here was the greatest opportunity to stick it to MTL and he won't let him play?...There is no scientific evidence to suggest that if Bergy came back today or six months from now he wil not get another concussion; the chances of a re-ocurrence�are about the same. So he should�not have�been denied to play at this most important time, for his career and the Bruins future. If I were the B's brass I would look for another neurologist.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenfinger47. Show chickenfinger47's posts

Honestly dude are u serious... I mean really

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1182669. Show user_1182669's posts

To HHSP08:

I am very serious and have my facts straight too!... I am a doctor, so I actually know what I am talking about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guinness02122. Show guinness02122's posts

I agree and disagree.� One great player back in the line up would have possibly put them into the next round.� However, it's playoff time, and the last thing the Bruins need to to destroy their future.� I think that any chance taken would have been a bad decision.� Actually, I believe the B's outplayed the Habs in five of the games.�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

I heard that Bergeron was roughly 12 pounds under his playing weight and that he had lost some muscle mass during the months he was sidelined.� Which is to be expected and entirely understandable.� You cannot get that back until you are fully into your off-season workout regimen.� And given the very physical nature of NHL playoff hockey, losing muscle and weight, even if you are skating better and participating in contact practices, it may not be wise to put him in a position to get his brain rattled again.� I've played hockey (not at the professional level) and full-tilt contact can be bone jaring.� In the long run, gents, I think it was the smart move to not bring him back.� In fact, I would have shut him down many weeks ago.� This guy is their best player and we want him around, healthy, and productive for years to come.

In the final analysis, Montreal is the better team.� More talented and more experienced.� These guys are FAST and the way they set their plays up is lightning fast.� The B's did a generally pretty good job of keeping the play to the outside (their system) and made it a series.� Hey, this team overcame a LOT of adversity.� What with them being right near the top in the NHL for man games lost, I think they really worked hard and overachieved.

And remember we lost Andrew Alberts, a very promising defenseman, for much of the season because that goon team in Philadelphia rammed his head into the boards from a vulnerable position (again).� We lose our best player and an up-and-coming defenseman to almost all of the season, and Randy Jones and Scott Hartnell get TWO GAMES SUSPENDED each?????

In the off season Chiarelli needs to sign a legitimate goal scorer for this offensively-challenged team.� We have a LOT of young, promising players coming up through the system, but it often takes up to seven years for really good talent to be able to become productive in the NHL.� So, we need a guy with a quick release who can really pull the trigger on goalies and who knows how to get open and find the seams.

Patrice Bergeron will be back next year.� And I really expect this team to get better and that next year will not be at all like this injury-plagued season.�

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1182669. Show user_1182669's posts

You can compare cancer to a head injury: cancer is a life-threatening disorder but a concussion is not... Furthermore, Bergy was only 5 pounds off his usual�playing weight (approximately 2 percent less than pre-concussion) and all observers including Bergy himself reported feeling extremely well. The best test of how fit a person is= how s/he feels. He felt great and, in fact, asked to play! How much more evidence do you need... Was Bergy healthy? Of course he was--ask him!�But as far as the neurologist, he needs to get his head examined!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

actually

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dei991. Show dei991's posts

It's a game and airing on the side of caution makes sense. I do agree with the statement about contact in practice etc should have just shut him down.

I never once even considered seeing him on the ice again this year after watching that disgustin hit, that guy should have been suspended a lot longer than he was

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

Come on guys, this idiot is no doctor.�

Any doctor with any real education would know that you don't make judgement calls on patients they have never examined.� Plus comparing cancer to hear trauma is just plain stupid.

Idiot trolls and internet experts.....if it wasn't for them, the internet would be boring.�

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Its obvious from his name, he is a vet :-)

Be serious, everyone wanted PB back in the line up but to even hint at shortening a youngsters career or coming back at some percentage less than expectation would never do anyone any good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

I cannot believe that you are a doctor, to make such an asinine statement as this.� God forbid you are not a neurologist employed by a professional team.� If you are just a fan saying that he should have played that is more understandable than�a doctor making this statment.� You must be a plant to get a rise out of people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Come on guys, this idiot is no doctor.�

Any doctor with any real education would know that you don't make judgement calls on patients they have never examined.Hey, the principal at my daughter's elementary school is a doctor (of education) but I don't want her assessing my kid's head injury.This clown said he's a doctor, not of what.�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eckdon. Show eckdon's posts

Nash said:That hit was not that bad. He should not have missed 6 months. Some guys get hit all the time and never have a problem. Some guys get a headache when they sneeze....�Lace up the skates and see how you take a hit like that. Not that bad???? C'mon! It's amazing that he is even skating today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

nash, I'm assuming that you were being sarcastic, because as much as I may disagree with some of your posts I don't ever remember seeing one where you came across as just plain moronic.First of all not all concussions are the same, and not all victims of them are the same. Different degrees of damage, different abilities to recover.Secondly, your assessment that the hit was not that bad I'm sure comes from your� many years of experience as a neurologist, or perhaps as a sports kinesiologist, coupled with your personal examination of the patient and review of all his medical records, right?Thirdly people in fact can die from repeated concussions. If not death it can certainly lead to permanent neurological damage where quality of life is severely compromised.As to protecting his career how much shorter could that be if he comes back too early and receives a blow that permanently disables him? A 10% gap in service time seems like a small price to pay. If you had a potentially career-ending injury and were told to take a 10% time break to make sure that you could complete the other 90% I think you'd probably do the same.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allrightythen. Show allrightythen's posts

If the B's were a serious threat to go all the way Bergeron would probably have been in there.� I feel they were smart.� Why turn your best player into Pat Lafontaine just to make it through the first round?� That would have been a foolish gamble.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Orrthebest,First, great screen name.Second, the Bruins need a Terry O'Reilly or even a Shoebottom type guy to make sure that if the Flyers or someother goon squad zero in on our skill guys then they get some of thier own.Third, I am not a bloodthirsty fan; but�if these huge players keep boarding smaller skill guys and causing head injuries, and the league won't stop it through season-long suspensions�than an enforcer is the only reasonable answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1182669. Show user_1182669's posts

Dear Gadden:Let me set everyone straight.� Do I have a doctor's degree?...Yes, I do in neuropsychology, so please no insults... Was Bergy's injury very serious?...Of course it was...he could have been killed. I witnessed it first-hand at TBNG that night (October 27). What I said from the beginning is that if the neurologist told Patrice to practice, get in game shape, go for contact practices and then doesn't let him play...what is the point. If this neurologist thought the injury so devastating, then he should have stated� from the beginning that Bergy rest up for the summer because of the nature of injury....He did not say that; instead he said he could play provided he got more contact practices, which he subsequently did. Last weekend came around, and the doctor all of a sudden said he needed more contact practices... So,if you read comments made by Bergy himself and Julien (see this paper and HockeyJournal.com), there was disappointment and an expectation to play. Heck, it even�sounded like the old neurologist was going to clear him to play next round vs Pittsburgh....So for a couple more practices he would then be ready!...Ridiculous!...For those objecting to my cancer comparison, here is another example: You catch a virus at work, it clears with all symptoms abating, you feel terrific. Is your MD going to tell you to stay home the rest of the year because it is safe that way because if you go back to work now, you might catch the same virus at work. No!� Once symptoms are gone you are well. Now you could go back to work the next day and get sick again (akin to Bergy going out in the Playoffs and getting smacked in the head) but chances are slim. There is no guarantee that if he stays out until October or even January 2009, that he will be any safer. Once you get a concussion, you are at further risk , end of story, whether you suit up now or three years from now. Get my point?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Sorry, I don't believe you're a doctor for one minute. Or if you are, I hope you're non-practicing, because any doctor who would diagnose an injury like that from a distance, and post about it in such a self-serving way, is not someone I would ever hope is in a position of trust. From what I read (and full disclosure here; I am NOT a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one), Bergeron had progressed to the point where he could have contact practices, but was not yet in full game shape (i.e. in the sort of shape that prevented the original injury from being fatal). Perhaps - PERHAPS - another week or two of hard work and conditioning and weight gain might have put�him in that sort of shape. Perhaps not. We'll never know know.Bottom line, it was best to err on the side of caution. A few games now aren't worth an entire career. Better for Bergeron to have the summer to get himself back into peak condition with no pressure. As for the other idiot troll who's posting on this thread about Bergeron's injury being "not that bad" - you are a clueless git. The kid almost DIED - if he had not been in the great shape that he was, he WOULD have died. Thank God he was strong enough to survive it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymaniya. Show hockeymaniya's posts

Well said.� I always said id take the loss of the series over the loss of a career, livelyhood, or, moreso, life of an individual.� Its better hes playing in October healthy, than in April suspect.�

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmsmith. Show mmsmith's posts

Wow, I can't believe what I am hearing from Nash99.� Is there something wrong with you?� I was watching the game on TV when that hit happened to PB.� You said he moved his arms and legs after that hit - are you crazy?� That was twitching.� PB was totally unconscious.� I'm a mother of 3 teenagers and I was sick to my stomach.� I thought he was dead or paralyzed when I saw him flop to the ice.� I immediately started to cry.� I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed.� The severity of the hit was obvious.� PB didn't even know what happened.� His concussion was the worst that his neurologist has ever seen.� PB didn't even know if he would have a normal life after this incident.� He couldn't do anything.� A concussion is one of the most serious incidents.� Have you never heard of people who have had concussions that were never able to live a full life again?� Have you never heard of 'punch drunk'?� This is a very serious injury.� I actually would have loved to see PB in the playoffs, but I also don't think he was ready.� I would rather have him at full strength for next season.� He is too young to risk in a playoff series, especially if he isn't fully ready.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmsmith. Show mmsmith's posts

Nash you are obviously an obnoxious, self absorbed person.� Yeah, so I'm a mother - what does stick to soccer mean??� I grew up playing hockey, field hockey and basketball.� I excelled in all 3 sports.� I've broken my nose, sprained ankles, jammed fingers� - and yet, I never missed a game.� I'm a very physically strong person, but does that mean I don't have feelings or opinions that differ from yours??� You are probably one of those guys from high school that couldn't even make a sports team.� Yet, you talk as if you are so tough and strong.� Well, get over yourself.� Obviously, you don't know very much about life, or sports for that matter.� Are you trying to say that soccer isn't physical?� Or that I'm the typical soccer mom�who follows her children's every move?� You are obviously living in your own little world, which isn't saying much.By the way, yes, I was sick to my stomach watching that hit.� I am human.� Seeing someone go down like that isn't the prettiest sight.� I would still feel that way, even if PB played for another team.� It must be nice to be you, since you have no human feelings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

I remember when the Terri Schiavo case was carrying on in this country there was a great hue and cry because Dr. Bill Frist, who was a the time the minority leader of the Senate I believe, made a diagnosis of Ms. Schiavo without ever having been in the same room with her. Apparently, Dr Animal has a lefg up because of his (reported) proximity to the actual injury (he was in the same cavernous sporting arena with 16,000 other people.� I'm sorry I ever questioned your diagnosis, Doctor.Hey, I keep getting these headaches. Can you touch the computer screen and diagnose what they might be from? Thanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Sorry I every gave you the benefit of the doubt there, Dr. Nash. Apparently you're not only wrong most of the time but are, in fact, moronic. You've absolutely no qualifications to diagnose a head injury (unless you're holding out on us as to where you went to medical school) yet you can sit there and make these grand, sweeping assumptions about the extent of Bergeron's injury, and by extension questioning his toughness.

Your only qualification is the same as all the rest of us, you have an opinion, period. And I'm sure you've heard the old chestnut that opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. Only God ruined yours by putting teeth in it, apparently.