New deal for Thorton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

New deal for Thorton

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=230

I haven't read a thing about it, but here's a breakdown of an apparent new deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: New deal for Thorton

No complaints here. With the escrow situation, he's probably taking home only about 75000 more a year. Shawn Thornton's a good guy.

In Response to New deal for Thorton:
    http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=230 I haven't read a thing about it, but here's a breakdown of an apparent new deal.
    Posted by Raskman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

He's OK. NESN saying the same thing.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/shawn-thornton-signs-twoyear-extension-with-boston.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And a raise too boot It's still cap friendly hopefully he'll have allot of healthy scratches because he's being pushed by some young guns. I was indifferent as to him being here or not. He provides a need weather you like him or not and loves being in Boston.

Not a hater of Shawn but just don't like the way Julien uses the 4th line in certain situations. That's not Thornton's fault but he should not be thrown over the boards when the Bs are about to take a draw in the offensive zone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

How does capgeek seem to know about signings like a week before everyone else? And are they usually right?

Anyways, in my mind, we needed to keep Seano...he's one of the best locker room guys in hockey and will throw hands fi someone looks at him wrong...can't teach that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

If i had to guess, someone there either has a contact in the contract office at the NHL or is a contact in the contract office.

In Response to Re: New deal for Thorton:
    How does capgeek seem to know about signings like a week before everyone else? And are they usually right? Anyways, in my mind, we needed to keep Seano...he's one of the best locker room guys in hockey and will throw hands fi someone looks at him wrong...can't teach that...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I like Shawn Thornton, but I am surprised by the price and term.  A two year deal at more than a 57% raise?  Really?  For a player whose effectiveness has gone downhill for the past season?  Yikes. 

Like I said, I like the guy, and I'm happy for him.  Somebody please point out for me why this is a good deal for the Bruins. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What did he do to earn a 33% raise?  He serves no purpose.  I'm sure he's a really nice guy, but he doesn't belong in the NHL.

No more dancing.  No more goons playing 8-10 minutes.

$800K is the difference between offering a guy $2.6M and $3.4M.  That's a big difference!

On the bright side, a buyout won't cost too much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonRob4. Show BostonRob4's posts

If they don't sign Boychuck or Stuart, this is a bad idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

not really not-a-shot, whether you like it or not you need fourth line winger, and they have him 300K over the veteran minimum (little bit less actually) so its really only a 300K difference. and he does serve a purpose, if someone needs to drop the gloves, it cant always be lucic
    Posted by pbergeron37

It doesn't have to be Lucic.  It can be Chara.  It can be Stuart.  It can be many other players.  Know what Thornton is doing when he's not fighting?  Skating in circles, missing checks, being out of position and turning the puck over.  There is a reason the guy spent most of his career in the AHL until the B's came calling.

That spot on the bench could be filled with a guy who can kill penalties, or a rookie who needs some conditioning.

The new style in the NHL is removing the boxing skaters.  They're spending more and more time in the press box.  Eventually, these cement heads with very little hockey skill will be fighting in barns in Quebec instead of interrupting hockey games with their staged battles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: New deal for Thorton : It doesn't have to be Lucic.  It can be Chara.  It can be Stuart.  It can be many other players.  Know what Thornton is doing when he's not fighting?  Skating in circles, missing checks, being out of position and turning the puck over.  There is a reason the guy spent most of his career in the AHL until the B's came calling. That spot on the bench could be filled with a guy who can kill penalties, or a rookie who needs some conditioning. The new style in the NHL is removing the boxing skaters.  They're spending more and more time in the press box.  Eventually, these cement heads with very little hockey skill will be fighting in barns in Quebec instead of interrupting hockey games with their staged battles.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

hear ! Hear !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

So what you're saying is you'd rather have 7+ million, 4 million, likely 3million in the box for 5 minutes than 800k? And you'd also rather risk one of those guys breaking a hand, their jaw or getting a concussion beathing the tar out of some Colton Orr type guy ? And of course with the roster spot you'd still need to fill, you'd rather have someone who serves no purpose than a limited one?

Ah!

In Response to Re: New deal for Thorton : It doesn't have to be Lucic.  It can be Chara.  It can be Stuart.  It can be many other players.  Know what Thornton is doing when he's not fighting?  Skating in circles, missing checks, being out of position and turning the puck over.  There is a reason the guy spent most of his career in the AHL until the B's came calling. That spot on the bench could be filled with a guy who can kill penalties, or a rookie who needs some conditioning. The new style in the NHL is removing the boxing skaters.  They're spending more and more time in the press box.  Eventually, these cement heads with very little hockey skill will be fighting in barns in Quebec instead of interrupting hockey games with their staged battles.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Not crazy about this deal.  What does he bring to the table in the playoffs.  He does not fight nor hits.  He will just take a spot that could be used for a youngster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So what you're saying is you'd rather have 7+ million, 4 million, likely 3million in the box for 5 minutes than 800k? And you'd also rather risk one of those guys breaking a hand, their jaw or getting a concussion beathing the tar out of some Colton Orr type guy ? And of course with the roster spot you'd still need to fill, you'd rather have someone who serves no purpose than a limited one? Ah ! In Response to Re: New deal for Thorton :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

In the six games Orr played against Boston last season, he fought Thornton once.  I would prefer none of them sat in the box for any amount of time, but fighting is a part of hockey.  It just doesn't have to be the only part for a player.  On top of that, there might be more servicable players who can drop the mitts that the B's could pick up for similar money.

The rest of the post about purpose is just nonsense, so I won't bother addressing it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

If you're one of the fans who complained about the Bruins losing "character guys" like Ward, Axelsson et al in this past year, don't complain about them re-signing Thornton.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If you're one of the fans who complained about the Bruins losing "character guys" like Ward, Axelsson et al in this past year, don't complain about them re-signing Thornton.
    Posted by duinne

And if I didn't complain about that, is it okay if I do complain about this, sir?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

"There is a reason that the guy spent most of his career in the AHL until the B's came calling..."

Please get your facts right...

First of all, Thornton played three seasons with the Blackhawks and won a Cup with the Ducks before ever becoming a Bruin...

"Eventually, these cement heads will be fighting in barns in Quebec instead of interrupting hockey games with their staged battles..."

Secondly, Thornton hails from Oshawa, Ontario so he would likely be fighting in barns in Ontario... 

Thirdly, without players like Shawn Thornton in the lineup, stars like Marc Savard et. al. become the target of cheap shots...

Them's the facts...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

situation, close game, tied up in the third period, someone drills Bergeron from behind, hes alright, little shaken up, but the play is haulted in a way that its not possible for someone to drop the gloves right away, theres no penalty called, and someone needs to call that guy out. Do you want your best defensmen to lose 5 minutes? a shut down guy thats going to be critical in the last 10-15 minutes of the game? or would you prefer a guy that plays on the first line (well we hope he regains form and plays on the first line) with Savard and the revolving door that is whoever is on his right wing? No, you want a FOURTH LINER, like thornton. Please, don't give me this crp about how the fourth line should be for young guys to get their feet wet in the NHL, its for guys that grind it out, make defenders hear footsteps, and guys that can drop the glove....no problem with thornton on the fourth line, i'd prefer it for 600K, but whatever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Yeah, it would have sure been nice to have saved JJ some money...

We're, in fact, squabblin' over a raise that amounts to 0.53% of the team's salary Cap on this thread... 

Pretty small potatoes compared to the feat in having re-signed a solid fourth liner...

Welcome back, Seano...

Every NHL team needs to have guys like this...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Thornton's skill seems to have slipped this past year, from 6 goals to just one. He was best on that line with Yelle and Bitz.  He still shoots the puck from any crazy angle and manages to get it on net.  But he doesn't seem to have quite the forechecking touch he had two years ago.  I am not in favor of the signing. There are other bruisers with higher puck skills.  Or, as pointed out above, a herd of new talent who can take that slot.  I had assumed that Thornton and Begin would walk.

As for cap space-- this raise does not help.  We need to sign Boychuck Stuart and Seidenberg!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Mixed emotions on this signing.  While I like Thorny, his game really fell off this past year.  The 2008-09 version was able to play in more situations, the 2009-10 looked more like a liability out there; -9 regular season and -4 in the playoffs.  

I was kind of hoping they might find a player that could fill the enforcer role that might bring a little more to the table, especially in the physical (bodychecking) game.  If Thorny is not the worst bodychecker I have ever seen, he has to be in the  bottom-5.  I would have like to seen them acquire an enforcer that can take  the body on the opposing teams D and soften them up a little.  Thorny adds little value there.

He seems like a good guy in the room, the team needs this role filled, the dollars are not outrageous.  I hope this does preclude them from going after other "gritty" players, like Asham.  Welcome back Shawn!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Don't sign Thorton..AAsham from the Flyers...no Begin either...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

a gritty guy...Thornton is mischaracterized by some of you as a cement head a dinosaur...most of us certainly know it's appropriate to have a 4th liner like this...tough and gritty...you can count on him when the going gets tough...
    ICE HCOKEY IS NOT ICE DANCING OR THE ICE CAPADES...if that is what you want talk to Gord Kluzak (a real petunia)...real hockey is a tough sport with deep passion and fighting happens...I am thankful we have Sean locked up for the next two years.
    I grew up playing this sport and hit anyone as hard as I could that skated by with the puck...how about you? Put away the purse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Too bad they just signed a cheerleader who only fights every fourth game. He's not worth putting on the ice, he's one of the ones with no heart in the playoffs. Hands of concrete and slow, dump him and put in a young buck that will skate hard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

well i hope julien understands thorntons role & limitations as well as all you....the bruins played some of their best hockey when CJ shortened the bench....to many times thornton was filtered into the regular roll 4 lines & the line came up with nothing during the playoffs....the problem is that a 4th line is a 4th line, out there to produce energy & keep the other team honest...julien relies on it to blend into his regular roll 4 line rotation with to many times it bein on the ice with 3-4 minutes to go down by a goal....1 of the problems is that thornton is a lone wolf on that 4th line paired with defensive minded (paille,begin) players, not go out & hit everything, energy players, & he thinks hes there to score....surround him with 2 other buzzsaws,play them 2-3 shifts a period,producing energy in the building & he would be perfect....let the talented forwards play off that energy produced 

Sections
Shortcuts