News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal.

In Response to Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal.:
    [QUOTE]Wheeler is still a very good on the pk. all playing up to expectations, are giving PC alot of options when the other 2 come back. Oh what to do, what to do. Its gonna be interesting thats for sure. The one Q that PC has to find an answer to is, How do we not change the chemistry of this team.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

Well said PC does have a conundrum and funny we've been complaining about Blake going to the net he does and scores go figure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal. : And Nathan Horton is "on pace" for what, 60 goals? That's a ridiculous stat.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

It might be but do you see any proof that it will change? The guy is simply not what they thought he would turn in to. I watched every game so far and was in Boston for the home opener and the Rangers game and Wheeler had his opportunities to score many times. IF he has so much talent, where is the production? He might turn into a 20 goal scorer some day but is it in the B's best interest to play the waiting game? The Bruins have enough PK players so I feel he is good trade bait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Wheeler has BEEN going to the net. As I said in anoher thread, that's what earned him a face punch against Ottawa. Finally he cashed in last night, but it hasn't been for lack of effort.

And though fans may want Wheeler to do nothing more than hang around the net the entire time he's in the offensive zone, that can be as counterproductive as a forward hanging around the defensive blue line waiting for outlet passes. Yes, he'll score his share of goals from in front of the net, but he can't be stagnant in the offensive zone either; a good offensive player picks his spots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Wheeler is finding his game, thats for sure, I like his commitment to change his style of play, still a very good on the pk. All the bubbles we all were trying to burst, Ryder, TT etc all playing up to expectations, are giving PC alot of options when the other 2 come back. Oh what to do, what to do. Its gonna be interesting thats for sure. The one Q that PC has to find an answer to is, How do we not change the chemeistry of this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I think Wheeler has a lot more game in him, IF, and it is a big IF he can figure out how to use his size. Great hands, great on the PK, above average with the puck, and he has been skating with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and he needs to continue doing that. Plus, he's still young (not real young, but young). 

I say give the kid a break, do not forget Joe (Houdini) Thornton's first few years were very unproductive, but once he figured it out how to use his size, he was great (in the regular season). Not saying by any stretch I expect Blake to be Joe, but for some players it takes longer. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

The issue about Sturm is that he has a NTC , plus nobody really wants him. You can't just waive him either and he is a big part of the team still.

Wheeler also has been a strong presence in the locker room

The bottom line will be the salary cap at the end of the year. Both players will not be back after this season. Better to try to get ready to trade Wheeler now before we lose him for nothing.

Other than having stone hands , he has been playing well the past few games, especially defensively. Impressed by his chipping the puck forward and just beating the d to the puck. That is practical hockey at its best

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Given how big of a drop off the Bruins offense, as a whole, suffered between two years ago and last year (270 to 196 - a drop of 27%), Wheeler scoring 3 fewer goals and 7 fewer points (losses of 14% and 16%, respectively) is not that big of a downward trend.

His play this season has been pretty good, he just isn't getting the puck in the net.  Time will tell if he can get that behind him as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Kaletta is such a little pansy. He only wants to take a shot a Lucic and then try to get away before lucic can do anything, hate players like that.

Wheeler has been playing good all year and Ive always said that. I cant stand some of the posts on here like send him to the AHL seriously? He's played tougher this year worked harder every game and finally got rewarded. He'll still score 20+ this year. I think people need to ease up on the backseat GMing 9games into the season esp. with a 7-2-0 team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal. : It might be but do you see any proof that it will change? The guy is simply not what they thought he would turn in to. I watched every game so far and was in Boston for the home opener and the Rangers game and Wheeler had his opportunities to score many times. IF he has so much talent, where is the production? He might turn into a 20 goal scorer some day but is it in the B's best interest to play the waiting game? The Bruins have enough PK players so I feel he is good trade bait.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

Did you just start following the Bruins this year?

2008-09: 21 goals, 24 assists
    2009-10: 18 goals, 20 assists

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler is on pace for ~10 goals. Does that make him worth keeping? His physical play is still not what it should be and that goal was against a "wet behind the ears" goalie. He has been playing slightly better than last year but when you look at who PC will get rid of, he has to be near the top of the list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

One goal scored his first .....29 more to come

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 (Done deal) -2012-2013

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Providing Savard does not get traded, Wheeler will be the first to go (somewhere) when CAP issues become problematic. Hunwick will be right behind him (when Boychuck comes back).

Let's face it kids... someone has to go because they cannot keep them all when Strum and Savard come back.

rockett7 - Sterm average player with no hands?
    Year        Games    G      A     Pts
    2001-02      77     21     20     41            
    2002-03      82     28     20     48    
    2003-04      64     21     20     41    
    2005-06      23     6     10     16    
    2005-06      51     23     20     43    
    2005-06     74     29     30     59    
    2006-07     76     27     17     44    
    2007-08     80     27     29     56    
    2008-09     19     7     6     13    
    2009-10     76     22     15     37

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal.

I had a chance to actually watch him play last night, and I have to give the guy credit. He skated hard, and played a pretty decent positional game. Then he did the unthinkable, and went to the net. Simple little tip in to make it 3-0. Didn't see him do it again all night, but at least it is a start. 
    For a big guy, with good skills, he sure could score a lot of goals if he went to the net. Maybe put a taser collar on him, and if he strays too far from the net when the puck is in the offensive zone, give him a little zap to remind him of what he needs to do. Yes, I am sick, but it works on dogs, no?

This is such a fun team to watch. We were 15 ft away when Lucic had that little scrum with Kaleta. Nice shot to end that fight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Watching Lucic give Kaletta a nice strong right made me smile and feel warm inside, especially when I saw blood and matching (minor) penalties :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal. : Did you just start following the Bruins this year? 2008-09: 21 goals, 24 assists 2009-10: 18 goals, 20 assists
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

You are the woman!!!!  He has been benched in the playoff's be cause of his play. His scoring is on a downward trend. His first year was good for 2/3 of it. He tailed off drastically and if you say he has not, I have no respect for you or your seemingly over whelming knowledge of THE BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Wheeler is on pace for ~10 goals. Does that make him worth keeping? His physical play is still not what it should be and that goal was against a "wet behind the ears" goalie. He has been playing slightly better than last year but when you look at who PC will get rid of, he has to be near the top of the list.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

And Nathan Horton is "on pace" for what, 60 goals? That's a ridiculous stat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

You are right as usual. I don't know why you don't have your own website????

To me he is no 20 goal scorer. It was a flash in the pan. If he would have backed up his first year with his second, then I would have no problem. He was terrible along with Sturm & Ryder last year. If he ever hits the 20 mark again (not 18) I hope it's with another team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Bruins have an embarrassment of riches when/if Sturm and Savard return. Wheeler has the best poterntial and value as a trading piece. He is playing better in his third year, but, his learning curve has been slow and indicates why college players and young Junior graduates need AHL experience. PC has an interesting challenge, but, with WHEELER, RYDER, and Hunwick playing better, the trade market will be more open than when all three were stumbling. Do not exactly discard the possibility of Sturm either accepting a trade[ negating his NTC] or going to Providence after being activated as part of Chia's cap plan

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey.  The kid just doesn't have it going on upstairs.  He is decisive this year, unlike last year, but his instincts are wrong.

He'll be better someday.  Until then, let his on the job training happen with someone else because the final result isn't going to be all that great.

Trade him now while this "potential" thing still exists because people are going to figure out that the potential thing really isn't there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Blake Wheeler- first player in NHL history to have a sophomore slump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: News Flash! Wheeler goes to net and Scores 1st Goal. : You are the woman!!!!  He has been benched in the playoff's be cause of his play. His scoring is on a downward trend. His first year was good for 2/3 of it. He tailed off drastically and if you say he has not, I have no respect for you or your seemingly over whelming knowledge of THE BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

Um, what?

You said, and I quote, "He might turn into a 20-goal scorer some day."

He already is a 20-goal scorer. Doesn't take overwhelming knowledge, just the ability to read a stat sheet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Exactly.^^^

Sections
Shortcuts