No love for Sturm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

No love for Sturm

I've been pretty quiet on these boards during the off season, but I feel I should now chime in on the eve of the Bruins first game of the new season...

There's been a lot of talk about the health of Savard, and for good reason. He is the team's best offensive playmaker and we won't go past Round 2 without him. But I am ashamed that few have mentioned the health of Sturm. He was our leading goal scorer (Potted the game-winner at the Winter Classic!) Granted that is not saying much, but with both of these guys healthy, we are as good as any team in the NHL and without them, we will not finish in the top 5.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: No love for Sturm

I like Marco.  Don't love him.  He is streaky as hell.  But he does some other things too.  He's pretty effective on the penalty kill.  He's also a fairly smart player and doesn't make many mental errors.  And, of course, his speed is great.  Let's hope he can regain his speed and quickness when he returns.

But you're right.  He hasn't been shown the love (or even those bashing Sturmy) on these boards.  Heck, his goal-scoring face is worthy of a thread. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Sorry to say but I can't tip the scales in favor of "Marco shoot it in to the crest Sturm". Not sure what his shooting % is but it always appears to me he gets golden ops and finishes 1% of the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Don't get me wrong but it can unfortunate injuries that became a fortunate happening for bruins mngt.. This will give PC and neely time to warch their prospects play some NHL time ie Marchand Caron and Seguin ; they the mngt. can extra toughness with Mcgrattan. Overall the team will look pretty good on paper but the real mcCoy will start tonight and the first ten gms. will give me a fan the answer and perception of the bruins. On paper we have a good mix of youth vets experience goaltending tangent but the d is my biggest concern.

Looch Krejci Horton
    Blake Bergy Rex
    Paille Seguin Ryder
    Caron Campbell Thorn
    Back ups
    Mcgrattan if signed
    Marchand
    LTI
    Savy and Sturm ( contract total = aprox 8 mill) if both players come on fire showing progress and game ready at end of November they will replace the no shows or hopefully not injuries

Our forwards are looking good

Chara Sieds
    Hunwick( he will need to step 100% or be replace) Boychuk
    Ference Stuart

Back ups possibles
    McQuiad and Bartowski

Rask (sophmore year)
    Thomas ( realiable back up or ???? for starting only if)

With sturm(NTC  contract)and ryder( if starts to show same Ryder as last year) both are one year contract remaining before they are FA's could be a achilles heel for Mngt.

Savard will be back with his long contract with the trade rumours now slow because of PCS can be another achilles heel

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

How true that Sturm has become somewhat forgotten except for his cap relief. He is fast, smart[PK], and can score. The question is how often lately has he missed the quality setups?? Or, have nagging injuries limited his capabilities? The B's have an opportunity to evaluate the rookies as well as Ryder, Thornton,Paille. Sturm's experience and skills are as good or better than most of these, so he will get a shot if he recovers well. Replacing any of the above mentioned veterans will give the 3rd or 4th line more bite. His experience could bolster Seguin, or his speed and scoring could replace Paille or Ryder. Let's not count Sturmie out just yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, no one even hung out a "Marc O'Sturm" joke in Belfast.

Sturm's aforementioned streakiness is one reason he doesn't get the same level of concern.  Some would consider him part of the problem, not the solution.  He's supposed to be one of the team's top wingers, but he goes through long stretches where he's dead weight offensively - the inverse of being a streaky scorer and a guy who scores in bunches is prolonged slumps.  Savard's absence makes people wonder how his production will be replaced.  Sturms's absence makes people think this is a perfect time to see if there are better and more consistent options - and if there aren't, it's just as likely Sturm would have been in a slump during this stretch anyway.

As always, though, you hope he comes back and finds his groove.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: No love for Sturm:
    [QUOTE]Sorry to say but I can't tip the scales in favor of "Marco shoot it in to the crest Sturm". Not sure what his shooting % is but it always appears to me he gets golden ops and finishes 1% of the time.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

His % is 10-12%. Not bad really, but those goals do come in between long droughts of nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Glad to see a few fans took the time to write out a lengthy well-thought-out response... but

I must disagree with the folks who bash his shooting percentage/streakiness. He has been a top 6 forward in terms of point leaders most of his career. For your argument to be true then the whole darn team must be streaky! I think his health is the big question mark and any streakiness that fans see is mostly due to trying to play through injury.

With Savard and Sturm in the lineup, we have a real cup contender this year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sturm plays good hockey and makes acceptable money for his production.  No complaints about him from me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: No love for Sturm:
    [QUOTE]Glad to see a few fans took the time to write out a lengthy well-thought-out response... but I must disagree with the folks who bash his shooting percentage/streakiness. He has been a top 6 forward in terms of point leaders most of his career. For your argument to be true then the whole darn team must be streaky! I think his health is the big question mark and any streakiness that fans see is mostly due to trying to play through injury. With Savard and Sturm in the lineup, we have a real cup contender this year!
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

I would agree that he is still a top 6 forward for the most part.  But that doesn't mean he still isn't streaky.  It seems like he'll get like 7 goals in 5 games and then get 0 in the next 9.  And over the course of the year those little bursts can add up to 25+ goals.  And sometimes he gets hot and stays that way for weeks at a time.  But that still doesn't mean he isn't still an effective forward during those droughts.  I don't usually see him out floating around like Ryder.  He's a good hockey player.  I like him and hope he can come back as good as before.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Sturm has become somewhat forgotten except for his cap relief"

And there it is why he is forgotten the Bruins didn't have to move anyone to keep him. Marco will be a welcomed addition when he comes back because he won't be relied onto score and he adds depth to the already good PK. If the Bruins were to get 10 to say 14 goals out of him it's reaching a little but not surprising.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree that he will be a welcomed sight when he gets back.  I really like his speed (which this team lacked last year) and I think that opens up some other options for whatever line he is on.  

As a side note, Max Sauve seems to play a very similar game as Sturm and ssems to be an up-and-comer in the system.  I won't be disappointed if he turns into the same player. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: No love for Sturm:[QUOTE] As a side note, Max Sauve seems to play a very similar game as Sturm and ssems to be an up-and-comer in the system.  I won't be disappointed if he turns into the same player. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Agreed I'm high on Maxime as well plus he's a younger cheaper version.

Sections
Shortcuts