No Savard: No Problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

No Savard: No Problem

As much as it would have been interesting to have him start the season with some of the new cast members, this setback for Savard may spur others to achieve NHL status sooner and gain valuable experience.

I refer to Tyler Seguin, who will get time at centre, where he belongs, and this in turn will open up a right wing spot for Jordan Caron or Maxime Sauve.

The bad fortune of 1 could very well turn out to be the good fortune of 3. I, personally, like these odds.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: No Savard: No Problem

I do agree that Seguin should start out at center. You can't say seguin isnt ready for centre based on 2 rookie games before training camp has even started

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to No Savard: No Problem:
    As much as it would have been interesting to have him start the season with some of the new cast members, this setback for Savard may spur others to achieve NHL status sooner and gain valuable experience. I refer to Tyler Seguin, who will get time at centre, where he belongs, and this in turn will open up a right wing spot for Jordan Caron or Maxime Sauve. The bad fortune of 1 could very well turn out to be the good fortune of 3. I, personally, like these odds.
    Posted by Wheatskins

There's a lot more to player development than ice time at the NHL level, particularly for a player like Seguin who is trying to move up from juniors. Don't rush this kid, he appears to have the talent but he is very young and needs to grow a bit more. Another year in juniors or at Providence is probably the best for him. You can set a player up for career of underperforming if he is not allowed to develop at the level that he is ready for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Major Junior is definitely something that Seguin has outgrown. He's good enough to play in Boston. I agree, some of the predictions that some fans have for him are on the insane side, but he's definitely someone I expect to stick in Boston (and contribute). And if he's having a hard time getting ice, some stints in Providence wouldn't be out of the question, but I just don't think he'll need it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: No Savard: No Problem:
    Major Junior is definitely something that Seguin has outgrown. He's good enough to play in Boston. I agree, some of the predictions that some fans have for him are on the insane side, but he's definitely someone I expect to stick in Boston (and contribute). And if he's having a hard time getting ice, some stints in Providence wouldn't be out of the question, but I just don't think he'll need it.
    Posted by Kennedy97

He's not eligible to play at Providence - he's too young. It's either the NHL or Juniors.

I'd bet he'll stick with the big club, but as I've said, he doesn't have to be The Man in Boston. He'll do just fine in a complementary role.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Indeed, Duinne, and I should have known that: as a 19, he can't go to the AHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Indeed, Duinne, and I should have known that: as a 19, he can't go to the AHL.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Actually, he's 18. He'll turn 19 on Jan. 31. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Seguin at center = more pressure on him, regardless of the line

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

Yeah...no need for Savard.
    A team that blew a 3-0 lead in the playoffs last year doesn't need a player like Savard.  The team is SO STACKED with talent that you can just let him go. GET A CLUE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Question:

With Savard out, if Seguin spends the entire camp at center, then Savard returns in time for the start of the regular season and Seguin is moved to the wing at that point, does this have a negative effect on Tyler, as he is now being asked to play a new psoition without even so much as having a chance to acclimate to that new psoition in training camp?

I think this would hurt. If Seguin is going to play wing when Savard returns, it might be best if Tyler got some time in camp to adjust to his new position.

Let me know your thoughts. And if you need to say Charawinsthenorris you're an idiot, go ahead. I have broad shoulders. I can take it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Question: With Savard out, if Seguin spends the entire camp at center, then Savard returns in time for the start of the regular season and Seguin is moved to the wing at that point, does this have a negative effect on Tyler, as he is now being asked to play a new psoition without even so much as having a chance to acclimate to that new psoition in training camp? I think this would hurt. If Seguin is going to play wing when Savard returns, it might be best if Tyler got some time in camp to adjust to his new position. Let me know your thoughts. And if you need to say Charawinsthenorris you're an idiot, go ahead. I have broad shoulders. I can take it. 
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

Couple of things: Seguin has played wing, in junior, so it's not like he's going to be learning an entirely new position.

Also, it would be much more difficult to start out at wing and then move to center, rather than vice versa, because center is a more difficult, responsible position. Defensively, a wing's prime responsibility is to cover the defenseman on the point. A center has to patrol the entire center of the offensive zone. Julien referred to this yesterday when he spoke of things that Seguin has to learn, including being ready to turn from defense to offense in a split second (all of the Bruins centers are really good at that transition game). 

If, after getting some reps in at center for a few weeks, he has to shift to wing, sure it'll be an adjustment, but it's not something that someone with his intelligence and hockey sense won't be able to handle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I wish this talk of Seguin being returned to Jr would just go away.  I'll bet my bank account he'll make the team.

OK, throw away my opinions at the rookie games, I believe he should start at the wing.  I agree it will be less pressure and there is no need for additional pressure on him.  ~12k and ~14k fans filled the building to see him and everyone knows that.  Think I was critical of him?  Should have heard the fans around me.  Plus its better for him to break into the league in a position where he has less responsibility.  Plus his instinct is pass first, some trigger time at wing will get him shooting more.

This is my prediction for Seguin. 
    LONG career, 20 years+.  He'll get 500 goals, maybe more.  In that time we'll see him evolve quite a bit.  He isn't done growing yet and he has adjusted and improved tons over the last 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

With an enlarged group in the first week of camp, Seguin may well play at center, but, as the group dwindles he could very well end up on the wing. Remember, Claude is not exactly prone to taking chances, so wait until next week and let's se who goes to Providence and who remains. If Hamill demonstrates that he can play on the 4th line, then Seguin will be on the wing of one of the offensive lines centered by Kreji or Bergeron

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Yeah...no need for Savard. A team that blew a 3-0 lead in the playoffs last year doesn't need a player like Savard.  The team is SO STACKED with talent that you can just let him go. GET A CLUE
    Posted by jtassinarisoccer

Yeha... no need for Savard. A team that won a six game series vs. the best goalie in the world without Marc Savard last year. The team played at the same pace post-concussion that they did pre-concussion. With Vladimir Sobotka centering the 3rd line. So Tyler Seguin isn't an upgrade? Way to ignore all the Bruins' injuries last year. GET A CLUE, troll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Anybody who thinks not having Marc Savard in the lineup isn't a problem- should stop watching hockey. He's the B's best offensive center, by a mile. Without him the B's PP sukz. All the Savard bashers will find out just how important this guy really is to this team if he's not able to play. Let Bergeron take over Savard's role, and see how that works out for you...good luck on that one -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If Savard is gone for the season - BIG problem, but then maybe they could get back some $ off the cap and find somebody to replace him,  maybe.

But Savard probably won't be out for the whole season, who knows how long, but I'll bet he'll get in more than half the games.

The NHL season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.  They can get by without Savard for a while.  It's possible he could be back in a week, it's possible he could miss the whole season, it's probably going to be someplace in between.

If the Bruins play 20 games and he's still not back, time to worry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

savard will be back next week...will play in preseason games overseas

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I wish this talk of Seguin being returned to Jr would just go away.  I'll bet my bank account he'll make the team. OK, throw away my opinions at the rookie games, I believe he should start at the wing.  I agree it will be less pressure and there is no need for additional pressure on him.  ~12k and ~14k fans filled the building to see him and everyone knows that.  Think I was critical of him?  Should have heard the fans around me.  Plus its better for him to break into the league in a position where he has less responsibility.  Plus his instinct is pass first, some trigger time at wing will get him shooting more. This is my prediction for Seguin.  LONG career, 20 years+.  He'll get 500 goals, maybe more.  In that time we'll see him evolve quite a bit.  He isn't done growing yet and he has adjusted and improved tons over the last 3.
    Posted by BadHabitude

I was at Wednesday's game, and at one point, Seguin stripped the puck from an Islander player near the Bruins' blue line, dropped a clever little pass to Knight, I think it was, and started sprinting up ice. The only problem was that Knight didn't expect it and the puck went awry. A fan behind me yelled "Take the puck with you, Seguin!"

Fans are idiots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

savard will be back next week...will play in preseason games overseas
    Posted by bruins8

This is a statement based on absolutely nothing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Other than a gut feeling from the poster that they believe Savard will be ready but some on this board want to say that Marc's career is already done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: No Savard: No Problem : ahhhhhhhh just not even worth it
    Posted by pbergeron37

Ya know PBergeron37, these idiot trolls pick really interesting user names.  I for one am quite concerned about letting my real email address or identity being revealed on here, I am a bit paranoid, but there could be a person or 2 I've really ticked off that would like to make life miserable for me.

If you look at a certain  troll, you can tell things about them - like their actual name, and put that together with an interest they have - like soccer for example, and you can figure out who that is.  I sure wouldn't use my real name unless it was a common one like smith or jones.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

In Response to Re: No Savard: No Problem : Ya know PBergeron37, these idiot trolls pick really interesting user names.  I for one am quite concerned about letting my real email address or identity being revealed on here, I am a bit paranoid, but there could be a person or 2 I've really ticked off that would like to make life miserable for me. If you look at a certain  troll, you can tell things about them - like their actual name, and put that together with an interest they have - like soccer for example, and you can figure out who that is.  I sure wouldn't use my real name unless it was a common one like smith or jones.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Then I guess it's not a good thing that my name really is David Carr?

oops. 

Then again, google me and all you get is 5 million hits about a crappy quarterback who's been the bane of my existence for about 6 years now :/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Savard needed a good training camp after last year's injury plagued year and had all summer to heal so this obviously isn't good news.The B's needed a healthy productive Savard to regroup from last year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: No Savard: No Problem : Then I guess it's not a good thing that my name really is David Carr? oops.  Then again, google me and all you get is 5 million hits about a crappy quarterback who's been the bane of my existence for about 6 years now :/
    Posted by davecarr

Right, but you were smart enougn NOT to say something like DavidCarrInActonLovesSoccer.

Plus, you're not a troll.

People who are trolls who have their real names and use other identifiers should take some care about not ticking people off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

Anybody who thinks not having Marc Savard in the lineup isn't a problem- should stop watching hockey. He's the B's best offensive center, by a mile. Without him the B's PP sukz. All the Savard bashers will find out just how important this guy really is to this team if he's not able to play. Let Bergeron take over Savard's role, and see how that works out for you...good luck on that one -
    Posted by JWensink

We definitely need Savard. The bigger issue is we have alot of ingredients to be a good team this yr ...however, we don't have the "go to guy" to make it happen. The guy who wants the puck and not afraid to pay the price to put it in the net. We just don't have "the guy" yet on this team.

Sections
Shortcuts