Nostalgia-Gary Thorne

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassVt. Show MassVt's posts

Nostalgia-Gary Thorne

Just for fun, I listened to a couple of You Tube videos of Gary Thorne calling some of the playoff goals of recent years.

Just incredible. The best pipes in the business; no one calls playoff hockey like him; no one shows his passion, his excitment, and his love for the game quite like Mr. Thorne.

I remember a couple of his playoff calls..

" ...McCarty in, McCarty draws, McCarty...SCOOORES!!!! A Magnificent Goal!!! Darren McCarty!!!

"....the fans want it..shot..SCOOORES!!! Off the floor, on the board!!! Paul Kariya!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Re: Nostalgia-Gary Thorne

In Response to Nostalgia-Gary Thorne:
    Just for fun, I listened to a couple of You Tube videos of Gary Thorne calling some of the playoff goals of recent years. Just incredible. The best pipes in the business; no one calls playoff hockey like him; no one shows his passion, his excitment, and his love for the game quite like Mr. Thorne. I remember a couple of his playoff calls.. " ...McCarty in, McCarty draws, McCarty...SCOOORES!!!! A Magnificent Goal!!! Darren McCarty!!! "....the fans want it..shot..SCOOORES!!! Off the floor, on the board!!! Paul Kariya!!!!
    Posted by MassVt

"and after 22 years... RAYMOND BOURQUE!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Nostalgia-Gary Thorne:
    Just for fun, I listened to a couple of You Tube videos of Gary Thorne calling some of the playoff goals of recent years. Just incredible. The best pipes in the business; no one calls playoff hockey like him; no one shows his passion, his excitment, and his love for the game quite like Mr. Thorne. I remember a couple of his playoff calls.. " ...McCarty in, McCarty draws, McCarty...SCOOORES!!!! A Magnificent Goal!!! Darren McCarty!!! "....the fans want it..shot..SCOOORES!!! Off the floor, on the board!!! Paul Kariya!!!!
    Posted by MassVt

MERCY!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

stick w/ hockey, same guy who thought schillling's sock blood was fake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassVt. Show MassVt's posts

....Ozolinsh..shot...oh my goodness.....rebound ...shot...SCOOOORES!!!! THIS SERIES IS TIED!!!!....

...Richard around the boards...shot..save...rebound... SCOOORES!!!  FEDOTENKO!!!!

Doc Emrick is smart, knowledgable, but Thorne brings the game to life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Can't stand Doc.  Far too whiny. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Nostalgia-Gary Thorne:
    Can't stand Doc.  Far too whiny. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I love Doc and think he's one of the best in the business.  But I can understand someone not liking his "whiny-ness".  It doesn't bother me, but it's the same reason I couldn't stand listening to Dale Arnold call Bruins games.  To each his own I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

natural hattrick. Bs last one was Glen Murray on Feb 1, 2004 vs Pit (4-1 win)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Gary Thorne is the best hockey announcer in the business. I've missed the Thorne-Bill Clement duo on ABC/ESPN, but I'm glad they're at least the announcers for the NHL video games. I've lost respect for both Bettman and ESPN for ESPN dropping the NHL, but I'd be happy to see it back to have Thorne and Bettman in the booth again. I'd also like to hear Steve Levy again, for a general announcer he has a good commentator voice.

There are plenty of announcers with good voices, Emerick (being one of them) and surprisingly Jack Edwards. What separates Thorne from those two is hockey knowledge (over Edwards) and a journalistic non-bias towards a specific team (something Emerick can't manage to show and depending on the team Edwards is questionable). 

Since the Olympics brought hockey back a lot of the following it deserves there's a chance it could be brought back to ESPN, where the following would most likely grow even further. Knowing ESPN's falling lack of standards and the fact that they dropped a major 4 sport I'm not optimistic, but here's hoping ESPN decides it wants the NHL back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: Nostalgia-Gary Thorne:
    Gary Thorne is the best hockey announcer in the business. I've missed the Thorne-Bill Clement duo on ABC/ESPN, but I'm glad they're at least the announcers for the NHL video games. I've lost respect for both Bettman and ESPN for ESPN dropping the NHL, but I'd be happy to see it back to have Thorne and Bettman in the booth again. I'd also like to hear Steve Levy again, for a general announcer he has a good commentator voice. There are plenty of announcers with good voices, Emerick (being one of them) and surprisingly Jack Edwards. What separates Thorne from those two is hockey knowledge (over Edwards) and a journalistic non-bias towards a specific team (something Emerick can't manage to show and depending on the team Edwards is questionable).  Since the Olympics brought hockey back a lot of the following it deserves there's a chance it could be brought back to ESPN, where the following would most likely grow even further. Knowing ESPN's falling lack of standards and the fact that they dropped a major 4 sport I'm not optimistic, but here's hoping ESPN decides it wants the NHL back.
    Posted by joeschmo25

The NBA will likely have a lockout for 2011-2012 and it is a possibility for the NFL also. So during November-February, ESPN wouldn't have anything to show and maybe could work something out with the NHL. I believe the contracts with Versus and NBC end this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

Yes, I miss the Gary Thorne days...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

espmz is a football/basketball/gossip station.

i'll watch puck on the 'net next year, thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thorne is a Mainer, so hockey came first. He's pretty good on Baltimore baseball, especially with Jim Palmer. On a different note, I read Elliott Friedman's observations and was impressed with the statement that  our coach Ramsey might have ended up as Toronto's coach under Scotty Bowman. Does anyone else feel we are in a bit of trouble with Houda following CJ blindly rather than the insights of " Rammer" which made the defense a solid benefit ??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassVt. Show MassVt's posts

Having some trouble with the link, but it's entitled " The NHL Needs Gary Thorne Back", under the site " www.thedailycontributor.com", with a corresponding video lasting about 1.5 minutes.