NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY?

I make it very clear that I want Savard back in the fall.  However, knowing this guys mentality, and attitude throughout his career I'm not sure it is possible at this point.  The guy has been the #1 name in the NHL for trade talks.  How can one expect a guy to comeback to his team, and play 100%, with a great attitude, when they publicly shopped him all summer.  ESPECIALLY, WHEN HE HAS A HISTORY FOR BEING A ME FIRST GUY, ALAH NFL WIDE RECEIVER ALMOST TYPE.  I believe the damage may be too much done to this situation.  I don't think Neely wants the guy back either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY?

In Response to NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY?:
    I make it very clear that I want Savard back in the fall.  However, knowing this guys mentality, and attitude throughout his career I'm not sure it is possible at this point.  The guy has been the #1 name in the NHL for trade talks.  How can one expect a guy to comeback to his team, and play 100%, with a great attitude, when they publicly shopped him all summer.  ESPECIALLY, WHEN HE HAS A HISTORY FOR BEING A ME FIRST GUY, ALAH NFL WIDE RECEIVER ALMOST TYPE.  I believe the damage may be too much done to this situation.  I don't think Neely wants the guy back either.
    Posted by 54BLITZER

First of all, there are already threads here discussing Savard. You didn't need to start a new one.

Secondly, do you know Marc Savard? Have you played hockey with him, shared a locker room, gone on road trips with him, worked out with him? If not, how on EARTH can you make statements about his "mentality"?

David Krejci on Savard: “You want to see the best players, the good players, the good guys, you want them to be back.’’

Matt Kalman on Savard: "While I would never profess to be able to get in the minds of Savard’s teammates, as far as I can tell he’s one of the guys. He might rub some the wrong way with his odd quirks about his sticks and his checking of the stats, but he’s also a light-hearted character that can joke around with everyone. In any dressing room, there are going to be guys that don’t get along. But there are plenty of guys that sing Savard’s praises."

Peter Chiarelli on Savard: "[Savard] is good in the locker room, he's funny, he's quick-witted . . . If there's speculation on Savard, it's because we've acquired a guy [Seguin] who's going to be a premier center or winger. That's where it all stems from and the rest [of the rumors around Savard] just grows and mushrooms."

There are myriad media accounts and stories about how Savard was a "me first" player back in the day, but how he's changed and worked hard on his game since coming to Boston. As Casey Stengel used to say, you can look it up. But most telling to me is the obvious respect and affection he gets from his teammates. Go to games. Watch the warmups. Go to practices. Listen to them talk about Savvy. If you still think he's disliked, I don't know what to tell you.

As for not wanting to come back after being shopped, seriously, do you follow pro sports? A couple of years ago, you couldn't go a day without hearing Jon Lester being traded for Johan Santana. If I had a nickel for every "I'll drive him to the airport myself!" comment I heard, I'd be rich. Didn't seem to bother Lester, did it?

You're thinking as a fan, who's in New England to boot. Marc Savard is in Ontario, NOT listening to sports talk radio, NOT checking the Internet, unless he's insane, and I don't think he is. Undoubtedly he's working out (as Chiarelli reported), staying apprised of the situation through his agent, playing golf, spending time with his kids, and getting ready for September.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GNPBruins. Show GNPBruins's posts

Duinne,

Nice post.  The one spreading the Savard loccker room thing was Gasper who never identified a primary source and it spread.

Trust the one's sourced above and Bob Beers on 98.5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Duinne, Schilling had the same problem.

Some people want their athletes to read off a script, and equate opinionated to unlikable.

As was the case w/ schilling, Savard's teammates DO like him.  Just because he's chirpy , doesnt mean he's a bad guy.  He's just outspoken and opinonated.  Note: this doesnt make him a "me first" guy either.

I've seen ONE bruin speak negatively about savard.  That was aaron ward.  And the comments made ward seem like a small-picture oriented, cliche using simpleton.  Ward was traded for nothing, very soon thereafter.  The kicker was that he was a fan favorite.

(Not to imply that the savard bashing was the reason why he was moved)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If anyone's curious , Ward's comments were in the context of the all-star game.

he said that he couldnt watch the all-star game because savard was miked up and he was sick of listening to him chirp.  Should have been a nice/friendly jab, but he then took it too far when he called the decision to mike up savard "awful".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Once in a while Duinne comes up with a gem. His comments on Savard seem to be right on the Mark[ no pun]. As the Bruins are now structured, Savard, if fully recovered, will be a valuable assett. He will be able to feed Seguin on the right and [almost said Wheels] a strong left wing, Maybe Lucic or Caron if wheeler departs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

He is a one way player and the other three centers are more valuable all around players....he has to go and for once I won't be upset about a Bruins trade. I like him but I like Kejci, Bregy and Seguin better

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY?:
    Once in a while Duinne comes up with a gem. His comments on Savard seem to be right on the Mark[ no pun]. As the Bruins are now structured, Savard, if fully recovered, will be a valuable assett. He will be able to feed Seguin on the right and [almost said Wheels] a strong left wing, Maybe Lucic or Caron if wheeler departs.
    Posted by Bogie6

Only once in a while? ;-)

And just fyi, I'm a she, not a he. And I'd like to see Horton on the wing with Savvy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : Only once in a while? ;-) And just fyi, I'm a she, not a he. And I'd like to see Horton on the wing with Savvy.
    Posted by duinne

You are a she?  You should post a pic, ha!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from STFU-Yankee-fans. Show STFU-Yankee-fans's posts

Duinne is my new best friend!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

If anyone's curious , Ward's comments were in the context of the all-star game. he said that he couldnt watch the all-star game because savard was miked up and he was sick of listening to him chirp.  Should have been a nice/friendly jab, but he then took it too far when he called the decision to mike up savard "awful".
    Posted by Drewski5

Well, I dunno... In every interview I've ever heard/read with Ward (and he used to be on Toucher and Rich every week), the guy is never, ever serious (even though he may seem to be). He takes facetiousness to an art form. I can very well imagine him saying he couldn't stand hearing Savvy chirp; it would be a typical statement. Putting each other down like that is the sort of humor that's quite common on sports teams, and Ward is very good at it (so is Shawn Thornton).

One guy who's absolutely terrible at it is Chara, which is pretty funny in itself, IMHO. He said in an interview that his biggest fault is that he has no sense of humor. I'm sure his teammates have a good time with that too. ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"However, knowing this guys mentality, and attitude throughout his career I'm not sure it is possible at this point."

Yah not like he came back from a vicious hit too try and help his team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : Well, I dunno... In every interview I've ever heard/read with Ward (and he used to be on Toucher and Rich every day), the guy is never, ever serious (even though he may seem to be). He takes facetiousness to an art form. I can very well imagine him saying he couldn't stand hearing Savvy chirp; it would be a typical statement. Putting each other down like that is the sort of humor that's quite common on sports teams, and Ward is very good at it (so is Shawn Thornton). One guy who's absolutely terrible at it is Chara, which is pretty funny in itself, IMHO. He said in an interview that his biggest fault is that he has no sense of humor. I'm sure his teammates have a good time with that too. ;-)  
    Posted by duinne

Thanks for the context.  My main point was that I've only seen one player say anything negative about Savard.  This context brings up the probability that such comment was in jest.

So there you have it, Savard's teammates like him.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Did the Bruins organization and media tarnish Savard looks that wait but can savy be the type who listen to the rumours and play hockey YES. If something happens and Savy is traded I will miss him just like when Thornton left eventually we get over it. Even the days when Bobby Orr went to Chicago i got over it. It the just the good, the bad and the ugly in the sports world.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : Thanks for the context.  My main point was that I've only seen one player say anything negative about Savard.  This context brings up the probability that such comment was in jest. So there you have it, Savard's teammates like him.  
    Posted by Drewski5

Now Drew, that's not what I'd expect from you.  Players not saying negative things in the press is just that.  It doesn't follow the logical path to them liking him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : Now Drew, that's not what I'd expect from you.  Players not saying negative things in the press is just that.  It doesn't follow the logical path to them liking him.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agreed.  It was a poor conclusion.

Amended to: "There is no sound evidence, to my knowledge, that Savard's teammates dont like him"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Did the Bruins organization and media tarnish Savard looks that wait but can savy be the type who listen to the rumours and play hockey YES. If something happens and Savy is traded I will miss him just like when Thornton left eventually we get over it. Even the days when Bobby Orr went to Chicago i got over it. It the just the good, the bad and the ugly in the sports world.
    Posted by Canbostondoit

The media (morons like Gaspar and Dale Arnold) certainly love to bash Savard, but I have never heard Neely, Chiarelli, Julien or anyone else connected with the Bruins organization say anything bad about him. On the contrary.

And I mean really, consider the sources. Gaspar actually wrote that the Bruins should trade Savard straight up for Sheldon (waivers) Souray. How could anyone take anything from him seriously?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Dale Arnold is by far the smartest guy on WEEI
    Posted by pbergeron37

And that's the greatest example I've ever seen of damning with faint praise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

A lot of my family members actually know him, as they grew up in brunswick, and went to both highschool and college with him at Bowdoin, you can disagree with him, but he is a really really smart guy
    Posted by pbergeron37

Then maybe he'd make a good English teacher or something, but when it comes to sports, he's a dolt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dale Arnold maybe book smart (congratulations!) but he used to put me to sleep when he called Bruins games! Boring mono tone play calling!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Anyone who thinks Savard won't be our leading point scorer again this season... I'll take the bet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

In Response to NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : First of all, there are already threads here discussing Savard. You didn't need to start a new one. Secondly, do you know Marc Savard? Have you played hockey with him, shared a locker room, gone on road trips with him, worked out with him? If not, how on EARTH can you make statements about his "mentality"? David Krejci on Savard: “You want to see the best players, the good players, the good guys, you want them to be back.’’ Matt Kalman on Savard: "While I would never profess to be able to get in the minds of Savard’s teammates, as far as I can tell he’s one of the guys. He might rub some the wrong way with his odd quirks about his sticks and his checking of the stats, but he’s also a light-hearted character that can joke around with everyone. In any dressing room, there are going to be guys that don’t get along. But there are plenty of guys that sing Savard’s praises." Peter Chiarelli on Savard: "[Savard] is good in the locker room, he's funny, he's quick-witted . . . If there's speculation on Savard, it's because we've acquired a guy [Seguin] who's going to be a premier center or winger. That's where it all stems from and the rest [of the rumors around Savard] just grows and mushrooms." There are myriad media accounts and stories about how Savard was a "me first" player back in the day, but how he's changed and worked hard on his game since coming to Boston. As Casey Stengel used to say, you can look it up. But most telling to me is the obvious respect and affection he gets from his teammates. Go to games. Watch the warmups. Go to practices. Listen to them talk about Savvy. If you still think he's disliked, I don't know what to tell you. As for not wanting to come back after being shopped, seriously, do you follow pro sports? A couple of years ago, you couldn't go a day without hearing Jon Lester being traded for Johan Santana. If I had a nickel for every "I'll drive him to the airport myself!" comment I heard, I'd be rich. Didn't seem to bother Lester, did it? You're thinking as a fan, who's in New England to boot. Marc Savard is in Ontario, NOT listening to sports talk radio, NOT checking the Internet, unless he's insane, and I don't think he is. Undoubtedly he's working out (as Chiarelli reported), staying apprised of the situation through his agent, playing golf, spending time with his kids, and getting ready for September.  
    Posted by duinne

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

hey duinne, they questions the guy proposed were not outlandish or unimaginable. the are legitmate concerns for anybody who thinks on both sides of the coin. why wouldnt savard be upset with trade rumors, who know how he wil react to quote you
    "do you know Marc Savard? Have you played hockey with him, shared a locker room, gone on road trips with him, worked out with him? If not, how on EARTH can you make statements about his "mentality"?

do you know him? i didnt see anywhere were the guy bashed him. maybe you just have a crush on the guy or are his biggest fan but seems like you blasted someone for no apparent reason. im huge savard fan and want to see him stay for awhile but you never know what he has read hasn't read or who he listens to..
    and the guy made some good points. so chill girl,and post a picture.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

hey duinne, they questions the guy proposed were not outlandish or unimaginable. the are legitmate concerns for anybody who thinks on both sides of the coin. why wouldnt savard be upset with trade rumors, who know how he wil react to quote you "do you know Marc Savard? Have you played hockey with him, shared a locker room, gone on road trips with him, worked out with him? If not, how on EARTH can you make statements about his "mentality"? do you know him? i didnt see anywhere were the guy bashed him. maybe you just have a crush on the guy or are his biggest fan but seems like you blasted someone for no apparent reason. im huge savard fan and want to see him stay for awhile but you never know what he has read hasn't read or who he listens to.. and the guy made some good points. so chill girl,and post a picture.
    Posted by sclifton_4_freespeech

I loathe people making judgements on people/things they know nothing about. No, of course I don't know him, but I have listened to him, to his teammates, watched him at practices and games interacting with said teammates, and listened to what others who know him well (Krejci, Chiarelli, Beers, etc.) have said about him. Then, and only then, have I made a judgement about him. I haven't judged him on old, tired stories and rumors spead by halfwits like Gaspar.

And of course Savard knows there are trade rumors, but to suggest that he can't play for a team that looked into trading him shows a remarkable ignorance of professional sports. It's a part of the business, and every athlete from the day he signs a contract gets used to hearing about it. If it affected their relationship with their teams, you wouldn't have professional sports.

And lastly, considering that I'm old enough to be Marc Savard's mother, I'm not a "girl," and I doubt you'd want to see a picture.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

In Response to Re: NOT POSSIBLE FOR SAVARD TO STAY? : I loathe people making judgements on people/things they know nothing about. No, of course I don't know him, but I have listened to him, to his teammates, watched him at practices and games interacting with said teammates, and listened to what others who know him well (Krejci, Chiarelli, Beers, etc.) have said about him. Then, and only then, have I made a judgement about him. I haven't judged him on old, tired stories and rumors spead by halfwits like Gaspar. And of course Savard knows there are trade rumors, but to suggest that he can't play for a team that looked into trading him shows a remarkable ignorance of professional sports. It's a part of the business, and every athlete from the day he signs a contract gets used to hearing about it. If it affected their relationship with their teams, you wouldn't have professional sports. And lastly, considering that I'm old enough to be Marc Savard's mother, I'm not a "girl," and I doubt you'd want to see a picture.
    Posted by duinne

well u seem to be a very well informed and passionate bruins fan, maybe u have some history with that poster. i just thought u jumped on him pretty quick. i love savard and hope he stays but i have been worried about how much attention this whole thing has got with his name in every boston rumor. im sure professionals will say thats part of being a pro but no one likes to let people know when something bugs them. hell it bugs me and maybe that's why im so worried about it.

Sections
Shortcuts